OPI DS Designer Series Jewel

No Image

1.6

I agree with the other reviewers. Too thin, too sheer, still patchy after 3 coats. It shows some pretty shimmer with outside light but it falls flat inside. I did not have the issues others had with the dry time though. It dried to the touch pretty quickly.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is probably my most disappointing bottle of polish from OPI. It is a pretty shade of color, but it has too many problems to make it successful. First of all, the formula is thin, sheer and runny. I've tried building it up to be opaque, which took 3-4 coats, and it just falls flat. If anything, I'd layer with it. Second of all, as a DS polish, it's normally rather expensive for what it is. It doesn't have any holo in it, linear or scattered, just a little glitter and some shimmer. I have a couple polishes that are a lot cheaper and have an almost identical finish! Thank god I only paid $5 for this one, or I'd be kicking myself!

on 10/10/2011 9:23:00 AM

Sheer sheer sheer! This colour looks great in the bottle but the formula is way too thin. I'm going to use it as a top coat in the future (hey, I paid for it so I have to do SOMETHING with it). I wish I hadn't wasted my money on this. :(

on 11/8/2009 1:49:00 AM

I own 100+ bottles of nail polish- and this was definitely the one purchase which I regret. The DS polishes cost more, so you expect more. This one doesn't deliver. By itself, the color itself looks like a very boring red with just a little glitter and shimmer. All of the other DS products which I own have much more glitter and shimmer. I tried to layer with it but it hasn't made anything "pop" either. Buy a different DS color if you want to experiment with the DS line!

on 10/7/2009 12:11:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

This is a very unusual sheer plum tone brown with a red shimmer, which makes odd compared to the other OPI DS polishes as it is not a true holo as they are. It also seems to take a weirdly long time to dry compared to the other DS polishes and also given how sheer it is. I wouldn't repurchase, as I suspect that there are better options with which to replace this, its pricey at reg retail ($12) & I wouldn't pay that much for it, but I got this on clearance sale for a few bucks, so it was a reasonable deal for me.

I do enjoy using it - its a beautiful polish to layer with, adding a lovely deep warm red shimmer over other red, berry & plum creme polishes to change the look, so I'm hanging on to this rather than tossing it. Just make sure to use a quick dry top coat.

If you spot this on sale & its really cheap it might be worth picking up, but otherwise there are better shimmer layering options out there (like the CND Effects line) & better OPI DS polishes, you're better off buying something other than this.

on 4/14/2009 9:35:00 PM

Overly sheer...yes. Excessively long drying time...yes. But, I got it at the sales rack for 3 bucks, so I'm not complaining. It looks good when you layer it with other colors. Colors to try layering it under: Who Are you Wearing?, Purple with a purpose, An affair in Red Square, I'm Not Really A Waitress, Black Onyx.

on 4/10/2009 12:13:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

For me this is the only disappointment in the DS line. This is a shimmery brownish plum. It's not holographic or particularly sparkly like the others in the line. I also found it disappointingly sheer - 3 coats were still see through, not normal for OPI polishes. I'd recommend the others in the line, but this is not worth the price.

on 8/18/2008 12:25:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

First off, this is a pretty color. It's a kind of rosy brown in some light, and a burnt caramel in others, with lots of shimmer. Surprisingly it looked nice on me despite my cool toned coloring. This would be an excellent color for those who work in professional offices. It's a 'quiet' color, but doesn't seem old ladyish. However, the shade isn't what I've come to expect from the DS line; for the extra cost I'm expecting some WOW! and this just doesn't have it. Takes two coats to be opaque, wasn't streaky, and wore for five days without any chips. So that was great. But I wouldn't buy it again just because of the cost. It would be a great regular shade but falls short since it's a DS.

Popular Polishes