3.4

package quality

price range

Reviews

13 years ago

Poor Benetroessences... By some odd chance I've amassed all three and they are really lovely. Relent is, as many have pointed out, the snuggly, soft one of the three. The opening is fairly crisp -- a citric note (definable as orange if you're looking for it, but generic citrus if you're not), a very soft herbal lavender, a bright bergamot. It's pretty, unisex, refreshing. There's a hint of tiare and frangipane, but not much. Then, the perfume shifts. The bright citric notes recede and a warm amber foregrounds. The amber is soft, rich, on the edge of the gourmet amber we all know, but not quite there. Without being overt, the tiare and frangipane pull out warm floral notes from the amber. Ultimately, baby powder for adults is one way to describe it. A soft, rich, light herbal amber is another. The amber/floral does have the feeling of some of the notes of Johnson's baby powder, but this is not a sweet, cloying baby powder smell. It's light, elegant, lovely to go to sleep with, always appropriate. Worn too heavily on a man, I can easily imagine this becoming too sweet, that over-heady Sweet Guy's Aftershave that is so nasty, especially in confined spaces. I think a light hand with this on men, a slightly less restrained one on women, and I would prefer it on a woman. But it is very pretty.

About reviewer (542 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinCombination

EyesBrown

14 years ago

What a nice surprise!! I agree: This lovely fragrance is a must-try for baby-powder-fans! A cosy baby-scent! A comfort-innocent-fragrance. Only the headnote and the middle-note are crisp, fresh and clean (orange/LAVENDER!/bergamot). But the drydown has no edges or sharp notes - only talc, amber and subtle/soft vanilla. Yummy. Not a spectacular fragrance, but in a good and pleasant way.- Calming.- I cannot get enough from this special fragrance! I think it smells similar to the famous Caron pour Homme (lavender/vanilla)! Or it smells like some Guerlain drydowns/Guerlinade (Shalimar, Vol de Nuit). Nice for little girls too. The divine drydown is the very best(!) and worth to wait 30-40 minutes.

About reviewer (183 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinOther, Other

14 years ago

One of Etro's best ... This is like a light version of MPG Or des Indes or a more heavy version of iPdF Talco Delicato. It is pure baby's talc mixed with amber and it is L~O~V~E~L~Y. It is a tad linear to make it into my night-time/going out holy grail list (as I would always reach for Or des Indes instead) however I couldn't agree more with Colombina that it is a feel-good snuggle scent, perfect for when you want to feel warm and clean and snuggly before bed.

About reviewer (772 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination

HairBlond

3.0

14 years ago

To me this is like a warm cup of tea and a favorite book on a cool fall evening after a much needed relaxing bath. It's a "me time" fragrance, or perhaps a something I picture a new mother wearing, for some reason. Relent is one of the coziest scents I've experienced, and I also think it's a "grown up" version of Love's--which was the first fragrance I ever wore. I want my sheets to always smell this way when I crawl into them. It's soft and comforting...like a baby blanket.

About reviewer (267 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinOther, Other

15 years ago

Relent begins as Love's Baby Soft for grownups, but quickly dries down to a lovely warm amber scent. Be patient with Relent and give it some time on your skin - it's worth the wait!

About reviewer (355 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair

2.0

15 years ago

How can you mess up notes like this? The overall mix is watery, powdery, and rather uninteresting. No wonder this line has disappeared from many websites.

About reviewer (1158 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Other

15 years ago

I love all that's Etro, and this fragrance is lovely. It reminds me of cozy winter nights (as a fact, I don't wear it on summer). It stays true on my skin (unlike many other fragrances) and it's subtle, so I won't choke my family and co-workers.

About reviewer (7 reviews)

SkinNormal

EyesBrown

2.0

15 years ago

Powdery and snuggly, but ultimately not that interesting. Fades very quickly, but it's a big bottle, so apply as needed. I love amber, but this one is kind of uninspired.

About reviewer (46 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinNormal

3.0

17 years ago

When I tested Relent in a store, it was hard to figure out the "core" of this scent, other than it being powdery. I could barely smell it on tester cards, so I can't imagine it being that detectable on real skin either. Relent would make a nice comfort fragrance for evening lounging, but for work or social purposes, its barely-detectable notes would be a waste.

About reviewer (319 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Cool

HairBrown, Curly, Coarse

EyesGreen

17 years ago

How did I miss this one? It is simply gorgeous! Like grown-up baby powder. It is 'powdery' only in the sense that it has similar fragrancing notes to the classic Johnson's talc. There is no physical sensation of powder, which is the the usual meaning of the term 'powdery' in fragrance descriptions. Underpinning this is a sweet warm amber. Overall it recalls a minimalist version of the classic Guerlinade - snuggly and comforting. This is a sensual skin scent, a camel cashmere sweater, perfect for evenings in, not a sophisticated knockout. This goes straight on to my list of top comfort scents along with the other underrated gems Crown Eau de Russe, Diesel Plus Plus Feminine and Shalimar Eau Légère.

About reviewer (944 reviews)

Age30-35