Urban Decay Pistol

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
Urban Decay Pistol

3.7

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I'm going to have to add to the chorus of reviewers noting the bitter taste of this product. It's annoying, long-lasting, and seems to show up about 20 minutes after application. The initial smell/taste I get is a mild caramel, which is the UD-described flavor. Too bad it doesn't last because it's pretty nice. The color itself is AB glitter in a sheer plum base, and looks better if it's put on thickly. A light application seems to give more of a "spotted" lip look, but a heavy coat looks more frosted. I'm still wearing it because it's THE absolute best color of lipstick to wear with purple clothing, but I'm definitely keeping my eyes open for a replacement.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

To me the scent is licorice candy and I think it dissipates so quickly that it isn't really worth mentioning. I hate licorice but since it goes away once it touches my lips, I don't mind it. I didn't ever notice a bitter taste, then I read some of the reviews here and licked my lips and yep, it's bitter, but I'm not constantly licking my lips and never taste it except for the time when I purposely tasted it. I also find it long lasting, so perhaps there's a connection between it NOT being long lasting for people who are constantly tasting it? Just a thought.

Pistol is a beautiful, odd color. It's a beiged-out plum with shimmer, which in some lights looks pale silvery blue. It's sheer and buildable and surprising I think considering how plain it looks in the tube. I think it's a unique color that you probably have to try ON your lips to get the full effect. It really seems to pull color from what I have on too... I am wearing a plum shirt today and it looks really plummy.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Urban Decay calls Pistol a "warm beige" but in my opinion, this shade is waaaay too warm to be called beige. In the tube and swatched on the back of my hand it's a rosy chestnut and on my lips it's almost a russet. A very fall-like color. It also has a gorgeous multicolor pearl that shows up in the tube and when swatched on the back of my hand, but sadly doesn't show up as much on my lips. It's still a pretty color though a bit warmer than I prefer. It has a very comfortable feel on and a decent wear life. Feel much better on than the old school lipsticks from this brand, IMO.

My three main complaints with this product, though: the price, the packaging and the taste. $22 is a bit more than I've come to expect from UD, and I don't know that this lipstick is really worth $22. It's nice, but no nicer than something from MAC which is 40% cheaper. The packaging is pretty too look at, but the tube is heavy and much bigger than it needs to be. The dagger on the end is cute, but bothersome as it keeps the lipstick from being able to stand open on its end and has the potential of stabbing you in the thigh if you carry it around in your front pant pocket. I'd much prefer more streamlined packaging, even at the sacrifice of aesthetic. The old school UD lipstick packaging was better IMO. Finally, this lipstick tastes AWFUL. I'm not really sensitive to the way my lipsticks taste so I was surprised by how grossed out by the way this tastes. I don't lip my lips often so it's bearable, but still. It tastes almost like bug spray. I've noticed that the shimmery lipsticks that I've tried from this new line all have that horrible chemical taste, but that the ones with cream finishes do not so I'm guessing whatever they use to get the pearly finish is to blame. Still weird as I've never noticed that shimmery lipsticks from other lines tasting different from their creamy and matte sisters. Not pleasant!