Au Courant Instants Sunless Tanning Lotion

3.6

i've been using this tanner (i use the lotion version) exclusively since i found it years ago after trying everything i could get my hands on. it has a natural tan color on my pale, white skin.

i really like how the lotion is brown out of the container so I can always be sure that i'm putting it on evenly.

here are a few tips for applying it:

first, apply your regular moisturizer first and then let that dry (especially if you have dry skin)

second, I like to use a makeup wedge to apply it to my face. it does dry fairly quickly so i do a quarter of my face at a time. be sure to blend it in immediately after you put it on a section of your face and not let a blob or streak sit in one area while you are working on another area or it will leave a darker 'stained' patch under the blob or streak.

third, i let the tanner dry for about five minutes and then apply my regular makeup.

if you apply to your body be sure to put on lotion and let it dry before you apply the tanner and be careful on your knees and feet. i usually mix a little regular body butter with it when i apply to those areas. I always use vinyl gloves when applying to the body and using some type of sponge applicator is better.

this is the GREATEST tanner ever and the color is NOT orange as a few reviews say. i have tried everything and this is the best. i would pay double the price for it.

I have used this product religiously ever since finding it after testing out SOOO many others. This is the first one that had a decent smell and a believable colour on me. I already have a nice warm brown after one application. Also, even though the colour guide will come off on your sheets or pajamas a little...it completely washes out in the laundry, unlike other products that I have tried that have permanently ruined sheets, towels, you name it. This lotion is a little pricey but you end up using less. I do think that I want to give the colourless one a shot now...haven't been able to find it.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

The most natural color I've ever achieved. It really does look like a tan, unlike any other self tanner I've ever tried.
Drawbacks: When you first put it on, it instantly turns a reddish tan color, which is helpful in some respects, as you can see where you've missed or where it has streaked. This is a temporary color--it is not how the tan looks. Unfortunately, unless you can stay in the house for hours and then shower before you go to bed, it will come off on your sheets. This is definitely not for someone who is sleeping with someone else.
There is another product that does not turn color instantly, but I don't like it as the tan is not as natural.
The odor is not bad.
They tell you to put it on with the sponge-on-a-stick that you can also buy, but this is not absolutely necessary, although it gives a much better result, as the wet sponge things out the lotion and spreads it more evenly. I use cheap vinyl gloves whenever I put on a self tanner, then take them off to do the backs of my hands. The sponge-on-stick implement makes this much easier.

Great color. This is probably the best tanning cream I've ever used in terms of great looking / natural color. It has very little odor too. It goes on smooth and I've never had a problem w/ streaks. A little expensive , but worth it, in my opinion.

I'm suprised at the negative comments here... this is by far the best self-tanner I've ever used (and I've tried them all.) Very natural looking color, easy to apply, and doesn't smell too bad (not at all after you shower.)

Finally a self tan which works on my pale skin! Usually I have to apply the product three days running to get some colour, but this gave me a great tan after just one application. The colour was the same as I would go after a week in the sun and it faded evenly without any nasty streaks. This is the darkest self tan I have tried and I would say the best colour as well. It is a little bit tricky to apply, but I think it is worth the effort since the colour lasted around five days.

I purchased this because of all the great reviews here, not realizing they were referring to the MOUSSE, not the lotion (I really need to pay more attention). I do NOT recommend the lotion (still have not tried the mousse, but after shelling out nearly $30 for this horrible lotion, I'm not to anxious to try it anymore). The lotion has a scarily dark brown color guide. It is quite waxy, making it very difficult to apply. Parts of it start drying very quickly, while the waxy parts just roll around on your skin as you try to massage it in, making it impossible to get an even application. To top it off, once it develops the color is very orange. To summarize, the color guide is really dark and makes a horrible mess, application is difficult, applying evenly is near impossible, and you end up with a streaky, orange tan.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I think I am the minority, but I hated the Au Courant line...Very streaky and not believable.

I was not overly impressed with this self tanner. I remember it giving me a really unbelievable orangey color. I was working at this fancy jewerly store where you were constantly under bright lights and I felt really stupid. I sent it back after trying it twice. It only got worse with the second application. I was very disappointed from all the great reviews I had read about it.

This was the worst self tanner that I have ever tried. It gave me that "transparent" leg look that I hate so much. It was also very yellow. I have found much cheaper products that did a much better job. This just did not work for me at all :(