Parlux Jessica Simpson - Fancy

3.9

I was given a generous decant of this by a friend so can't really comment on price.

Starts off smelling very harsh and synthetic with a blast of fruit that is overly sweet and sharp at the same time. Nonetheless it smells great on my friend, so I decided to give it time to develop rather than immediately scrub my wrists. It softened after about 10 minutes and I forgot about it. Half an hour later I kept getting whiffs of this lovely vanilla/amber combination tinged with caramel and grounded with sandalwood. I realised this was the drydown to Fancy.

Lovely.

Longevity is 4-5 hours
Sillage is low to moderate

This isn't the best perfume on me, but it's very well made and worth having. Don't be put off by the fact that it's a celebrity fragrance, and don't be put off by the fairly unattractive top notes. I understand this fragrance is discontinued but still see it in some chemist stores and I know it's available online.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Not a good smell, so I was told. Was told when I wear this I smell overwhelmingly strong, not good, and a little bit old (as in for an older person). Hearing this, I felt bad for all the people who sat next to me and didn't have the heart to tell me this. I thought I smelled sweet and good but I guess I was wrong.

Top Notes: Pear, Apricot, Red Berries.

Heart Notes: Gardenia, Jasmine, Almond, Caramel.

Base Notes: Sandalwood, Vanilla, Amber.

Fancy gets a lot of love on Fragrantica, which is where I first heard about it, so I thought I would try it as the notes do indeed look very good, and I hoped it would be a really good fragrance for cool weather. I ordered it blindly and wore it at least five or six times. I am sorry to say that of all my blindly purchased fragrances, Fancy was the biggest disappointment.

As so many reviewers have said, it is definitely sweet, and I definitely smell the caramel in it, but at first spray and for a good fifteen minutes or so thereafter, I mainly smelt nothing but florals, which surprised me. Later, the caramel and vanilla notes became quite noticeable. I have not really tried to pick out a lot of the other notes, but I agree this is definitely a gourmand fragrance with a dash of florals and not a floral fragrance with a bit of a gourmand edge. I definitely would not describe it as an Oriental, though.

I like Fancy's deep dry down much better than its top and heart notes. In the deep dry down I still perceive vanilla and a bit of caramel, but I also perceive a nice, warm amber. It remains very sweet into the deep dry down, too. Together the vanilla, caramel, and amber are nice but nevertheless quite foodie. I am not sure I would want to live through the top and heart notes every time I wore this just to get to the base notes.

Fancy is "okay" for what it is and for its price point, but it is not a fragrance I would have purchased had I sampled it first, and that is not because I dislike gourmands. (For example, I love B&BW's Sensual Amber and Cashmere Glow.) It is because Fancy has a quite STRONG synthetic smell to it.

After smelling Fancy, I can say for the first time that I truly understand what people mean whence they describe a fragrance as smelling "synthetic." It is best to smell this fragrance as it wafts up to your nose from your arms as it does not smell at all pleasant if you place your nose close to your arm to sniff it, which is untrue of every other fragrance I have tried.

I think anyone who likes Fancy could wear it, but on the whole, I think it would suit a younger person more than an older person. The floral notes give it a bit more sophistication than it would have without them, but Fancy is not a sophisticated fragrance. I could perhaps see myself wearing this whilst working around the house or working outdoors or cleaning out the garage in order to use up the bottle, but that is about all. I would not wear it any place where I wanted to be noticed for my fragrance, though. I also do not think it would be a good fragrance to wear to snuggle with your chap because as I said above, Fancy is best smelt as it wafts toward one's nose. If your chap put his nose against your neck whilst you were wearing Fancy, I do not think he would find it very nice.

No offence to anyone who loves Fancy, but I cannot recommend it. Anyone who really loves caramel as a note may want to try this, but beware that although there is a strong caramel note in it, the fragrance is very synthetic smelling. It has tenacious longevity and outstanding projection and sillage.

If anyone wants a celebrity gourmand fragrance, I recommend Queen Latifah's Queen over Fancy. Queen is boozy and gourmand, but it does not have the strong synthetic smell of Fancy.

As a side note, and interestingly enough, the nose behind Fancy also created Thierry Mugler Womanity, which I have not smelt.

Fragrance: 3/10

Projection: 10/10

Sillage: 10/10

Longevity: 10/10

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Idk why I keep buying this It is like my 5 th bottle since it launched and I find myself reaching for it but funny because it is not a favorite unless I'm lying to myself idk but I got the most compliments on this over the years and for some reason my fragrance wardrobe doesn't feel complete without a full bottle of this idk why...🤔 The scent is nice like a sweet caramel almond sliver and it lasts on coats for days... I guess its good quality for the price maybe that is where my real addiction lies...

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Soft, gourmand, delicious smelling perfume in a very nice vintage bottle, with a good lasting power, for a very good price. That's the reason I rate this 5 stars.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

If you like gourmand perfumes this is another great JS scent to consider! I really like this scent but I like to spray on lightly because it lasts forever on my skin and even longer on my clothes and can become a little much at the end of the day!... Not my everyday scent but I will definitely repurchase!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I got this unsniffed on a whim at Marshalls because I thought the bottle was pretty in a tacky kind of way, and I had read many positive reviews of it basically saying it was a lovely gourmand fragrance that smells more expensive than it is. I was pretty disappointed. When I first sprayed I thought it smelled pleasant, but unremarkable. Certainly not "fancy" (or expensive). Top notes are supposed to be pear, apricot and red berries. I did get a brief whiff of indistinguishable fruit, but it seemed more like pineapple, which was fine, but certainly didn't knock my socks off. There is supposed to be floral notes in the middle, which I caught none of (just as well). The dry down (which is pretty immediate) comes off as a very synthetic caramel/vanilla syrup with lots of powder. It is deeply sweet, sharp, very lasting, and not particularly smooth. I personally find it harsh. I think the almond, which is supposed to be in the middle notes, really comes out at the end adding to the sharp/sweet/powdery impression. I sprayed just a bit on my coat sleeve to see how I liked it throughout the day (good way to test something without it being stuck on your body), and two days later, my sleeve is still heavily scented. It does last! I kept thinking "what does this remind me of?" Basically everything at Victoria's Secret. My SIL wears VS Angel (not sure which version) and this gives me the same general impression. If you like things like VS Coconut Passion, Amber Romance or BBW Sensual Amber, you'll find a friend in this. Not for me, but I can see how it gets a lot of love. I am giving it 3 lippies because I think lots of people would like this and it delivers basically what one would expect from its price-mark.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I received this amazing perfume a few days ago and I esa blown away by the smell. To clear things up I've always loved gourmands and sweet perfumes so this was bound to happen. Whenever I use it I feel like a cake, all i can smell is apricot, pear, vanilla and caramel. Staying power is good! 6 hours (more than enough) and good sillage too. My new current favourite. 5 Lippies for sure!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Normally I don't want to write a bad review but something reaaaallly threw me off with this one. When I first spray it all I can smell is the patchouli or gardenia whatever that strong floral scent it. IT'S STRONG. The dry down sucks, the smell just completely dissapeared and I did not smell anything sweet AT ALL. It smells no way shape or form like BS FANTASY! I adore Fantasy so I have no idea what's up with this Fancy perfume. Every single time I try to wear it, I get an instant headache and don't feel good. My BF always said it made him feel sleepy too.

It only gets one star because one time a guy got real close to me and said I smelled like yummy vanilla or something. But it was weird as I could never smell it myself.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This fragrance does not smell bad, and has great staying power, however it smells EXACTLY like Fantasy by Britney Spears. I mean, note for note, this thing is basically fantasy in another bottle. I wore Fantasy earlier on in life, and don't want to wear the same thing ten years later. It's a little annoying that two female pop stars came out with fragrances that smell exactly the same. It is not a bad smell as I stated before, it just reminds me of that overly sweet pop star princess signature smell that Britney came out with already.I bought on Overstock for $22 including shipping, so thankful I didn't spend a lot.

Popular Fragrances