Parlux Jessica Simpson - Fancy

3.9

Top Notes: Pear, Apricot, Red Berries.

Heart Notes: Gardenia, Jasmine, Almond, Caramel.

Base Notes: Sandalwood, Vanilla, Amber.

Fancy gets a lot of love on Fragrantica, which is where I first heard about it, so I thought I would try it as the notes do indeed look very good, and I hoped it would be a really good fragrance for cool weather. I ordered it blindly and wore it at least five or six times. I am sorry to say that of all my blindly purchased fragrances, Fancy was the biggest disappointment.

As so many reviewers have said, it is definitely sweet, and I definitely smell the caramel in it, but at first spray and for a good fifteen minutes or so thereafter, I mainly smelt nothing but florals, which surprised me. Later, the caramel and vanilla notes became quite noticeable. I have not really tried to pick out a lot of the other notes, but I agree this is definitely a gourmand fragrance with a dash of florals and not a floral fragrance with a bit of a gourmand edge. I definitely would not describe it as an Oriental, though.

I like Fancy's deep dry down much better than its top and heart notes. In the deep dry down I still perceive vanilla and a bit of caramel, but I also perceive a nice, warm amber. It remains very sweet into the deep dry down, too. Together the vanilla, caramel, and amber are nice but nevertheless quite foodie. I am not sure I would want to live through the top and heart notes every time I wore this just to get to the base notes.

Fancy is "okay" for what it is and for its price point, but it is not a fragrance I would have purchased had I sampled it first, and that is not because I dislike gourmands. (For example, I love B&BW's Sensual Amber and Cashmere Glow.) It is because Fancy has a quite STRONG synthetic smell to it.

After smelling Fancy, I can say for the first time that I truly understand what people mean whence they describe a fragrance as smelling "synthetic." It is best to smell this fragrance as it wafts up to your nose from your arms as it does not smell at all pleasant if you place your nose close to your arm to sniff it, which is untrue of every other fragrance I have tried.

I think anyone who likes Fancy could wear it, but on the whole, I think it would suit a younger person more than an older person. The floral notes give it a bit more sophistication than it would have without them, but Fancy is not a sophisticated fragrance. I could perhaps see myself wearing this whilst working around the house or working outdoors or cleaning out the garage in order to use up the bottle, but that is about all. I would not wear it any place where I wanted to be noticed for my fragrance, though. I also do not think it would be a good fragrance to wear to snuggle with your chap because as I said above, Fancy is best smelt as it wafts toward one's nose. If your chap put his nose against your neck whilst you were wearing Fancy, I do not think he would find it very nice.

No offence to anyone who loves Fancy, but I cannot recommend it. Anyone who really loves caramel as a note may want to try this, but beware that although there is a strong caramel note in it, the fragrance is very synthetic smelling. It has tenacious longevity and outstanding projection and sillage.

If anyone wants a celebrity gourmand fragrance, I recommend Queen Latifah's Queen over Fancy. Queen is boozy and gourmand, but it does not have the strong synthetic smell of Fancy.

As a side note, and interestingly enough, the nose behind Fancy also created Thierry Mugler Womanity, which I have not smelt.

Fragrance: 3/10

Projection: 10/10

Sillage: 10/10

Longevity: 10/10

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Idk why I keep buying this It is like my 5 th bottle since it launched and I find myself reaching for it but funny because it is not a favorite unless I'm lying to myself idk but I got the most compliments on this over the years and for some reason my fragrance wardrobe doesn't feel complete without a full bottle of this idk why...🤔 The scent is nice like a sweet caramel almond sliver and it lasts on coats for days... I guess its good quality for the price maybe that is where my real addiction lies...

To Read all 308 Reviews, Login or Join

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Soft, gourmand, delicious smelling perfume in a very nice vintage bottle, with a good lasting power, for a very good price. That's the reason I rate this 5 stars.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

If you like gourmand perfumes this is another great JS scent to consider! I really like this scent but I like to spray on lightly because it lasts forever on my skin and even longer on my clothes and can become a little much at the end of the day!... Not my everyday scent but I will definitely repurchase!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I got this unsniffed on a whim at Marshalls because I thought the bottle was pretty in a tacky kind of way, and I had read many positive reviews of it basically saying it was a lovely gourmand fragrance that smells more expensive than it is. I was pretty disappointed. When I first sprayed I thought it smelled pleasant, but unremarkable. Certainly not "fancy" (or expensive). Top notes are supposed to be pear, apricot and red berries. I did get a brief whiff of indistinguishable fruit, but it seemed more like pineapple, which was fine, but certainly didn't knock my socks off. There is supposed to be floral notes in the middle, which I caught none of (just as well). The dry down (which is pretty immediate) comes off as a very synthetic caramel/vanilla syrup with lots of powder. It is deeply sweet, sharp, very lasting, and not particularly smooth. I personally find it harsh. I think the almond, which is supposed to be in the middle notes, really comes out at the end adding to the sharp/sweet/powdery impression. I sprayed just a bit on my coat sleeve to see how I liked it throughout the day (good way to test something without it being stuck on your body), and two days later, my sleeve is still heavily scented. It does last! I kept thinking "what does this remind me of?" Basically everything at Victoria's Secret. My SIL wears VS Angel (not sure which version) and this gives me the same general impression. If you like things like VS Coconut Passion, Amber Romance or BBW Sensual Amber, you'll find a friend in this. Not for me, but I can see how it gets a lot of love. I am giving it 3 lippies because I think lots of people would like this and it delivers basically what one would expect from its price-mark.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I received this amazing perfume a few days ago and I esa blown away by the smell. To clear things up I've always loved gourmands and sweet perfumes so this was bound to happen. Whenever I use it I feel like a cake, all i can smell is apricot, pear, vanilla and caramel. Staying power is good! 6 hours (more than enough) and good sillage too. My new current favourite. 5 Lippies for sure!

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Normally I don't want to write a bad review but something reaaaallly threw me off with this one. When I first spray it all I can smell is the patchouli or gardenia whatever that strong floral scent it. IT'S STRONG. The dry down sucks, the smell just completely dissapeared and I did not smell anything sweet AT ALL. It smells no way shape or form like BS FANTASY! I adore Fantasy so I have no idea what's up with this Fancy perfume. Every single time I try to wear it, I get an instant headache and don't feel good. My BF always said it made him feel sleepy too.

It only gets one star because one time a guy got real close to me and said I smelled like yummy vanilla or something. But it was weird as I could never smell it myself.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This fragrance does not smell bad, and has great staying power, however it smells EXACTLY like Fantasy by Britney Spears. I mean, note for note, this thing is basically fantasy in another bottle. I wore Fantasy earlier on in life, and don't want to wear the same thing ten years later. It's a little annoying that two female pop stars came out with fragrances that smell exactly the same. It is not a bad smell as I stated before, it just reminds me of that overly sweet pop star princess signature smell that Britney came out with already.I bought on Overstock for $22 including shipping, so thankful I didn't spend a lot.

Generally I'm a fan of very few perfumes, my collection consists of everything from gourmand, to floral and all the way up to straight oriental musks.
But Fancy by Jessica Simpson is just so darn fun that I try to always have a bottle of it; I was pretty young when this first hit the shelves, and when I smelled it, I kind of passed it by as a foodie smell that I wasn't sure would work. I saved up some money and bought my first 'big girl' perfume when I was 14, and boy did the compliments come rolling in when I wore this!
Fast forward to now, and since the air in Alberta is getting crisp and cool, and the leaves are turning gold, I was looking for a comfort scent that wouldn't break the bank. (I have a little girl now who always comes first so I don't treat myself to luxuries like I used to) I happened to be in a local Shoppers and they had Fancy Love on sale for $20 for 100mL, first of all, amazing deal, and second of all it reminded me of how much I had loved the original Fancy all those years ago.
So, I went on a hunt for Fancy in every discount store I could find, but I couldn't find it anywhere (I did however find a 50mL bottle of Fancy Nights that my best friend adores so that was a win) so I hopped on to the wonderful world of the web.
I scored a bottle with free shipping to Canada for $19.95 for 50mL of the original Fancy; needless to say, I was excited.

On my skin, Fancy is a wonderful, mellow and smooth vanilla gourmand; I'll list the notes below so what I describe is clear.
Notes: Pear, Apricot, Red Berries, Gardenia, Jasmine, Almond, Caramel, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Amber.
Upon first spray my nose really picks up the Pear and Apricot very strong, then after it's settled for 20 minutes it smooths out to Almonds drizzled in Caramel with a side of real Vanilla ice cream. It pretty well stays like this for the entire time this lasts on my skin, which is close to 12 hours; if I spray it on before bed I can still smell it on my skin the morning after and on my clothes until I wash them.
Usually, celeb scents aren't something I hunt out, but this one is a gem, it's well executed and it smells like genuine ingredients were used and if there isn't the synthetics are high quality.
The sillage is moderate, as people walking behind me compliment on the scent and people who breeze by will stop me to ask what I'm wearing; I'm not at all embarrassed to say it's Fancy, if it's well executed I don't care if the name is Fluffy Marshmallow, I'll tell people what it is.
Anyway, I would suggest trying before you buy, but if you can find it for $20 or sometimes less, it's a decent option to blind buy; although I do feel as though it's polarizing, you either love it or you hate it and that's all relative.
I will say that the male species of any age and orientation tend to be a fan of this one, I've had guys my age (20 somethings) older men, and young boys tell me that I smell delicious and comforting: it's therefore a winner among men, and they definitely don't care what the price tag is of your perfume.
So in conclusion, give this a try if you want a gourmand, but also light caramel/almond/vanilla perfume that's far less expensive than some similar designer perfumes that go for hundreds of dollars.
I personally adore this perfume and I will continue to buy it for as long as it is being made, I would be sad to see this go.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have never owned a celebrity fragrance because I dislike them but I kept reading great reviews about Jessica Simpson's Fancy so I decided I had to try it. A 3.4 oz bottle was $22 on Amazon so I figured I really didn't have anything to lose. I don't care for the box with Jessica Simpson's face on it but I found the bottle to be cute. Upon initial spray, the top notes are somewhat sharp. I can definitely smell the pear and the almond notes at this stage. It's sweet but in a bitter sort of way with a lot of fruit mixed in it. This lasts me about an hour to two hours.

After this stage, the perfume settles down a bit and the bitter almond scent becomes more pronounced. The fruit notes are nearly gone at this point. This stage lasts for about another hour and then the bitterness completely fades away, leaving behind a pleasant caramel vanilla scent that lasts for another few hours.

I really like the last stage of the perfume, as it is a sweet and comforting scent. This doesn't last as long as some of my more expensive perfumes but it's really no big deal since I wasn't expecting it to. I gave it 3 stars because I really don't enjoy the first two stages of this perfume. It smells very cheap to me until it reaches the third stage. For an extremely cheap celebrity fragrance, this is a decent perfume. I recommend that you try it if you like sweet gourmand scents.

Popular Fragrances