Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Face Sunscreen SPF 60 with Helioplex

3.0

homosalate(15), oxybenzone(6), octisalate(5), avobenzone(3), octocrylene(2.8), acrylates/c12-22 alkyl methacrylate copolymer, BHT, caprylyl methicone, cera alba, cetyl dimethicone, diethylhexyl 2, 6-naphthalate copolymer, dipotassium glycyrrhizate, disodium edta, ethylhexyl stearate, ethylhexylglycerin, glyceryl stearate, methylisothiazolinone, parfum, PEG-100 stearate, polyaminopropyl biguanide, silica, sodium polyacrylate, styrene/acrylates copolymer, trideceth-6, trimethylsiloxysilicate, water, xanthan gum. (From body label)

on 8/1/2016 1:19:00 AM

This sunscreen has some good ingredients that offer high protection, but that`s where all the good points end for me. I`ve been wearing all the Dry-Touch sunscreens from Neutrogena in various SPF`s, from 30 to 60 for many years, especially when I used to live in North America. At that time this was the best choice for me in terms of price and quality. Now that I live in Japan and have access to some really good sunscreens, I just can`t look at the Neutrogena line the same way. First off, the dry-touch, sheer claim: seriously? This stuff leaves a nasty white cast on your skin that takes ages to blend and transfers easily to anything you touch or wear (Beware of darker clothing if using this one!). Then it just kind of sits on top of your skin and after re-applying, at the end of the day your skin feels so nasty and gooey, as if you`re covered in glue and sweat. My Japanese sunscreens are a breeze to apply: water-based formulas that melt into your skin, no white cast, no nasty residue or stained clothes, no fragrance. So I am super-amazed that other reviewers use this stuff on their face: I mean, I can`t stand using it on my body, much less on the more sensitive delicate skin on my face. A previous reviewer said that this was reformulated to be lighter on the skin, but I`ve just finished a tube purchased last month in Canada, and it`s the same sticky, medicinal-smelling stuff I remember from a while ago.

on 7/13/2016 9:00:00 AM

Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer Sunscreen SPF 60 with Helioplex has become the only sunscreen I will use on my face.
I've noticed that many of the reviews were older, so possibly this product has been vastly improved.
I have problem skin, oily, sensitive, occasional stubborn breakouts. I need to be extremely careful about makeup, foundation, cleansers, moisturizers, etc.
I've tried MANY suncreens for my face, physical and chemical. I was using Shiseido Oil-Free SPF 42 but this is superior and much less expensive. This is the only one that truly works without any bad reactions.
It is odorless, goes on smoothly, is absorbed quickly and doesn't leave any greasy residue. You don't feel like you have any product whatsoever on your face!
I have no reaction to this product, no itching, burning, redness, and best of all it doesn't make my skin break out.
It's very effective, I haven't had any sunburn on my face at all.
I've already bought backups.
Highly recommend!

To Read all 41 Reviews, Login or Join

on 7/4/2016 5:33:00 PM

There are many better options out there for SPF, some even from Neutrogena!

This is one of the sunscreens that clings to dry patches you didn't even know you had on the face. Not very flattering.

After realizing this wouldn't work on my face, I used it on my arms and hands. But it also settled into the texture of my skin making it look dry and white, even when my skin was not dry.

The one not for the face in this line is much better imo.

on 7/22/2015 9:04:00 PM

I have noticed many of the reviews on the brand are now about a year old, with no new people reviewing on this product!
From what I read, this product had a thick consistency and was greasy, etc.
This product is the total opposite! The consistency is very light weight and didn't take long to sink into my skin. My face felt dry to the touch, no white cast, or anything. The consistency was exactly what I was looking for which is similar to my previous sunscreen, the shiseido broad SPF 42, and the algenist anti aging sunscreen, SPF 52 I believe.
Overall I'll keep using this product, which I'm liking. Only negative thing I can say so far is the smell, though it fades away.

Nastiest product I've bought in a while. I bought two bottles a few days ago thinking I could trust this brand, and quite honestly the selection for facial sunscreens was limited. The packaging is light and elegant and the product itself has a very faint smell, which I appreciate, but applying this sunscreen is a NIGHTMARE. It comes on thick and creamy, leaves behind a greasy feel and sheen, does not absorb into the skin well at all let alone quickly, and leaves behind streaks! So many streaks. It stays sticky the whole time it's on my face too, so I can pretty much forget about makeup. What a disaster. I still have flashbacks from looking into the passenger side mirror of my car and seeing streaks eeeeverywhere.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I have been on medicinal cream in my teen ages (suffering from mild-controlled acne) and my dermatologists suggest me to use this sunscreen and since then (almost 10 years) I havenít found a better one. I like the fact that it doesnít break me out but my face stays super oily and shiny I find. Also, when I put it on, my face doesnít fully absorb all of it and I really donít put much. After few minutes I let it sink in my skin, I put my moisturizer and I have tonís of flaky ďgouiiiĒ sunscreen that comeís off which is really frustrating because it really delays and gives me problem applying my makeup. I often have to use a tonic remover like the one from Clarins or Clinique.

So I would say itís a good product in general, doesnít make me break out or so, have a good protection (60) but I am curious if there is better out there. If any of you has experienced the same issues I had and have found a better sunscreen please donít hesitate to inbox me. I do realize that Neutrogena are strong on the FPS protection they also have one going to 110 I think but itís for the body not the face I believe, but I would be willing to use one that has minimum 50 since I have high pigmentation than can causes spots or so on my face. Thanks in advance and for others this is the best one I have tried so far.

on 7/2/2013 9:28:00 PM

This is a good sunscreen, but it is *not* part of the Dry-Touch line. Even if you rub it in well, using the right amount (1/4 tsp) will still make your face feel slightly sticky. There is a slight white cast at first, but it goes away a little after about 30 min. It says it's water/sweatproof. I found that my face was waaay sweatier with this on, but it stayed on pretty well. If you want something very matte, go with the dry touch. If you have drier skin, I would try this.

I've been looking for a high SPF face cream, but have never had any luck. I have very sensitive skin prone to breakouts, and also VERY oily. I always buy mattifying face creams (LUSH Enzymion, Body Shop Seaweed Mattifying, etc.) I've used a few lower SPF creams in the past (Oil of Olay SPF, Aveda Tourmaline Oil Free SPF 15, etc.) and they ALL made my face break out and made me a greasy mess before mid-day.

I wanted to go higher protection now that I'm in my 30's so asked my local beautician at Shoppers which cream might be the best to try. I LOVE this face cream!! I got it on sale 2 weeks ago and have been using it ever since. I still dot a little regular moisturizer around my eyes then apply this all over my face. It spreads well, sinks right in and has hardly any scent at all. I've had NO problems with it making my face white or any caking or flaking. It's kept me as oil free as any cream dedicated to doing that and hasn't caused any breakouts (more than I normally get anyhow..). Makeup applies just fine over it.

Wonderful cream for the price. High SPF and nice sized squeeze bottle so it's sanitary. Will DEFINITELY repurchase.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Since it is getting nicer out and I will be in the sun more often I decided to up the SPF with my face products. I bought this sunscreen for about $14 which is a decent price for a large bottle like this one. I wear this on top of my moisturizer in the morning and I haven't experience any white cast on my skin! Maybe since I use a very small amount and rub it in right away. It dries nice and matte and does not make my face feel greasy or oily at all. My primer and makeup glided nicely over this and it did not effect them negatively in any way. I am really liking this sunscreen, it hasn't clogged my pores or given me zits which is great since I am very acne prone and sensitive. I would recommend this to everyone for the summer time and really any time, you should always be protecting your skin!

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I did a lot of research on sunscreen ingredients before settling on this one. I like that this is broad spectrum (blocks uva and uvb rays). Without getting into too much detail, the 'helioplex' is the name neutrogena gave for their formula for stabilizing avobezone and oxybenzone in sunlight (these are the active ingredients that absorb the uv rays)

The way this product reacted to my skin was a little odd... if I applied the product too thickly, instead of absorbing over time, like most creams, it would sit on my skin and dry to a white and flaky substance. Anything that did absorb would start to flake if I rubbed my skin.

So the my solution to this weird absorption reaction was to add my moisturizer on top.

I have heard conflicting opinions on whether moisturizer or sunscreen should go on first from my doctor, from the 'expert' at the makeup counter, from 'experts' on the internet. My conclusion is to just do what works for you.