L'Oreal Paris Colour Riche Lipstick

L'Oreal Paris Colour Riche Lipstick

3.9

Lanolin oil, sesame seed oil, oleyl erucate, microcrystalline wax, PPG-5 lanolin wax, acetylated lanolin, beeswax, disteardimonium hectorite, fragrance, tocopheryl acetate, rosa canina fruit oil, calcium aluminum borosilicate, silica, argan oil, BHT, BHA, geraniol, hexyl cinnamal, hydroxycitronellal, calcium sodium borosilicate, synthetic fluorphlogopite, methyl-2 octynoate, polyethylene terephthalate, polymethyl methacrylate. May Contain: Mica, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, red 7, red 28 lake, yellow 6 lake, red 22 lake, bismuth oxychloride, yellow 5 lake, carmine, blue 1 lake.

on 2/1/2019 3:27:00 PM

I own quite a few L'Oreal Color Rich lipsticks. "Tropical Coral" is one of the staples in the Colour Riche line, which strikes a perfect coral-pink balance. As drugstore brands go, these are classy looking packages with decent wear time. The only thing I have ever really objected to in L'Oreal's lipstick offerings is the fragrance, which to my nose is very "department store" inspired. (Generally, I dislike strong fragrances in lipsticks, which is why my stash tends to gravitate more toward Revlon and Avon.) A few months ago L'Oreal introduced their "Gold Addict" line, which is packaged in a black-and-gold version of the familiar L'Oreal packaging. Their "Rose Gold" shade is what I am reviewing here.

Rose Gold imparts more of a peach tone than I would have expected from what appears in the tube to be a rosy-mauve tone. I have fair skin with yellow undertones so warm pinks and peach/coral colors — and gold shimmer/satin finishes, in general — are a huge draw for me. That said, I typically have to have more of a "color pop" in a mid-tone lipstick because pale/nude colors often wash me out. L'Oreal's Gold Addict lipstick in Rose Gold wears more like a MLBB with a mild frost overlay. It does have a warm gold finish, which makes it workable — at least it doesn't wash me out like nudes typically do — but the gold in this formula is noticeably gritty.

I had hoped L'Oreal's Gold Addict lipsticks would be a substitute for Avon's long-discontinued 24K Gold lipsticks, which were embedded with genuine gold flecks that provided a shimmer without being a full-on frost or metallic finish. Those lipsticks were hydrating and extremely smooth, which had no grit to speak of despite the glittery appearance of the lipstick in the tube.

It would be fantastic if L'Oreal includes some version of these lipsticks in their permanent line of Colour Riche Lipsticks if only because drugstore brands, if they have a metallic or glitter component at all, tend to be on the cool side. (One reason why so many people have bad memories of 1980s frost lipsticks may be because the typical frost colors — silver and white — simply don't flatter the large percentage of people who have warm or olive skin tones.)

I am thrilled that L'Oreal has done what the drugstore brands have not offered in a lipstick since about ~2010 — a true gold-finish in a lipstick. However, L'Oreal Paris needs to make these lipsticks feel less gritty. I know it can be done because Avon's 24K Gold line looked to have chunks of gold glitter in the tube but they applied to the lips with a smooth finish. On the plus side? L'Oreal Paris appears to be getting the message about how consumers feel about their lipstick fragrance. Their Gold Addict collection doesn't include the characteristic cloying Colour Riche lipstick fragrance.

Once upon a time L'Oreal offered a perfect gold-shimmer lip color in a gloss, which was introduced as their High Intensity Pigment — or "HIP" — lipgloss line. Their one-of-a-kind pink-peach-mauve gold in "Precious" color was my Holy Grail lipgloss in what would likely be marketed as a metallic were it sold today. (Comparing Avon's 24K or L'Oreal's HIP in "Precious" to Mac Lipglass in Nymphette/Love Child, Huda's Angelic and Anastasia Beverly Hills St. Tropez, I have found no substitute for either even among higher-end department store cosmetic brands.) Unfortunately, L'Oreal Paris' Gold Addict lipsticks aren't quite a substitute for L'Oreal's own previous offerings, let alone Avon's 24K gold lipsticks. Even so, I hope L'Oreal sees fit to make a handful of gold-infused lipsticks a permanent part of their Colour Riche Lipstick line. Making the pigments "pop" a bit more in the mid-tone shades and the use of a smoother gold component are necessary steps to making products like this worthy of inclusion alongside perennial Colour Riche Lipstick favorites such as "Tropical Coral" and "British Red".

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Love these, have them in so many colours. They go on smooth and feel great, and last at least four hours (sometimes longer, depending on what you're doing). I always use at least one coat when applying and they last forever, especially for drugstore. Plus, the colours are beautiful. LOVE THEM. Compares to many high-end lipsticks, but for a much more reasonable price!

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

The Colour Riche formula has been around for a long time, and I find it to last pretty well and be comfortable. The shade range is pretty nice, especially if you want basic kind of colors. Of course, there is the smell, which may be the most divisive point for this product; I personally love it, but I know some people straight-up hate it. I have several shades, and I will continue to use them. I do find the packaging to be very dated, but otherwise this is a solid lineup from the drugstore that has some gems that should not be overlooked, particularly Volcanic, Fairest Nude, Blazing Lava, and Everbloom.

on 4/29/2018 5:43:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

The Privee collection's sleek, matte black with gold accenting is ultra-luxurious and classy, but the smell of L'Oreal lipsticks have always put me off.

A month ago I got myself Matte-sterpiece and Eva's Nude. Before, Matte-sterpiece looked like an orange-y pink-nude but now that I'm tanner, it shows up as a warm medium pink-nude. It looks best over gloss, because the formula can be drying. This shade over my BareMineral's Moxie gloss is a GORGEOUS MLBB look.

On the other hand, Eva's Nude is a medium-deep brown that really sucks the life out of my face. Can I say it ages me by 10 years? It doesn't suit me - I think for my fair-medium and neutral skin tone that Jennifer'a Nude would've been a better choice... L'Oreal lipsticks are hit-and-miss so I tend to prefer Revlon, Milani, or Colourpop when it comes to inexpensive lipsticks.

Update 5/5/18: I bought Liya's Pink which I was hoping would be a bright fuschia matte, but it applied sheer and made my teeth look EXTRA yellow. I don't know why I keep bothering with these lipsticks, like I'm so darn hopeful but L'Oreal's telling me no!!!

on 2/3/2018 4:12:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I got this for free at a L’Oreal promo and am not a big lipstick gal. The shade I got is “802 - Matte-sterpiece”, which is like a pale nude that doesn’t really suit my lightly tanned skin. Might be better for fairer skin? I’m not a big fan of this lipstick (and most lipsticks for that matter, except for the sheerest or most high-end lipsticks) because it emphasizes the dry spots and flakes on my lips. Not a great look in the winter! I’ll be getting rid of this to make room for the other lip products in my collection...

This looked good in the tube but - on mu lips, its a rather frosty light 'Barbie' shade - fine for teen and 20 somethings but not for me!

on 12/10/2017 1:59:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I like these. I have two (Fairest Nude and Volcanic) but I like the color and formula a lot. Both are great colors, creamy and not gaudy. I don't love the smell nor does it bother me extensively. Overall a good love that I would buy from again.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Packaging is okay. Price is good. I have noticed some differences in the formula depending on the shades, like I have a purple one and a copper one and the purple one is not very pigmented. The copper one is awesome and I know my mom and grandma like them will try more.

on 11/23/2017 1:56:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Unfortunately, with my light-medium, yellow NC20-NC25 coloring, Fairest Nude, which is one of the most popular colors in the Colour Riche lipstick line, just washes me out and makes me look dead. I would be open to trying other shades in this line, though! The intensity of the pigment is solid even with just one application, the texture is creamy, and the gold tube is classy. It does have a fragrance, but it doesn’t bother me.

on 4/22/2017 10:24:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought my first in this line today: Golden Splendor. (HG lipstick shade for me)

Absolutely in love.

I'm light-to-medium light caucasian and I like dark lipsticks but just never have the balls to wear them as often as I should. I also feel like no matter how tan i get, darker lipsticks (even brown based) wash me out or make me look goth.

Golden splendor was exactly what Ive been looking for. Its like my perfect nude. Sheer, some sparkles/shimmer but super fine - and almost frosted but not. It has no pink, brown, peach - for a sheer nude - its awesome. Doesnt wash me out bc its not really "skin" toned- just a beautiful sheer gold with sparkle.

Creamy formula, applies well, love the gold packaging. It even looks great on my lips when I blot - the color still stays subtly which says a lot for a sheer lipstick!

Only caveat - the smell. I should have checked reviews. Im sensitive to smells but I can stand this mostly bc its my fav lipstick color of all-time. I find that the smell - for me - doesnt go away either. Im wearing it now and can still smell/taste it. Wish theyd change the scent. I think a flavored gloss over or under would help camoflauge the scent. But i still love this. Going back to buy backups!!!

EDIT to add; I have literally been wearing this lipstick non-stop since I bought it on Saturday (so 2 days). The formula is friggen amazing, even for a frosty light colored shade. When I lick my lips - the color STAYS. If I blot, the color is still THERE. If the lipstick is doing this for a super light shade, I can't imagine how awesome the staying power is for darker shades in this line. Definitely recommend this lipstick. I said in my above review that I'm going to buy backups - I AM. I want one of these suckers in my purse, at home, and at work. I love it that much! (also, I'm finding that I'm getting used to the smell. It helps to apply a lipgloss with it - if you can - which works well for lighter shades, like mine.)