Milk of Magnesia Mask

4.1

Price: $

Price: $

Active Ingredients: In each 5 mL tsp: Magnesium Hydroxide (400 mg) (Saline Laxative) Inactive Ingredients: Water Purified, Sodium Hypochlorite

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I tried it as a face primer before applying makeup. It did nothing for my oily skin! This is supposed to be the most hardcore mattifying product for oily skin out there.. And all it did was make me even more oily then usual.. Maybe if you have normal skin it would work as a face primer or a mask

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

Someone suggested this to me because some perscriptions I was on were making my skin oily. I did try it as a primer and it did work ok, but I didn't see too much of a difference some of the times I used it. It's tricky because you don't want to use to thick of a layer but you also want it to work. I also don't usually have oily skin so I wasn't really interested in that use especially when I got off the perscriptions and my skin returned to normal. However, I do like this as an acne spot treatment over night and I'll even use a little dot under concealer. Sometimes it flakes under makeup or can even pull on my skin if I have too much on, but over all it helps dry the acne spots so for that it's good. But I can't imagine finishing it and even if I did I'm not sure if I'd want it again. I like it better than some other spot treatments, but I don't feel very holy grail about it. But I can see how those with much oilier skin would like this. It's so cheap that I would suggest anyone with oil issues to give it a try. I might again in the summer as well.

To Read all 396 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

the only thing I use as primer. I used the Makeup Forever step 1 Mattifying primer for a while until I picked up this. It does a great job at keeping my oils from breaking through I have no issue with my makeup lasting 12hrs

Definitely will re-purchase

Hands down, the best 30 seconds of television I've ever watched was for a RuPaul tv promo that gave a tip for keeping makeup on while under bright lights by using Milk of Magnesia as a primer. (I honestly watch less than 20 hours A YEAR of tv, so this was quite serendipitous)....

I have normal / sometimes a little dry / sometimes a little oily in the tzone pale skin and, while I never had horrible breakouts as a teen, my pores were quite large from years and years of tanning beds.... Whenever I would wear foundation, it would soak into my skin and would look terrible after a few hours.

I started using MOM 4 or 5 years ago now and I swear I look like I am in my mid 20s... My pores are visibly tighter - with many that look like they've completely closed up (sidenote: I have a twin and she tells people her biggest regret is not using MOM in her beauty routine like I do as it is just night and day).... The few slight wrinkles I started to get in my mid 30s (I am now 41) also seem to be fading --- seriously --- my high school friends are starting to really wrinkle up and I am still with just 2 small/faint lines on my forehead.... I just started to use it on my neck because I feel like my neck is starting to show my age, while my face isn't at all....

It says this is for oily skin, but I would highly recommend it for people with dry skin as well (even though it will make your skin feel a little dryer until you slough it off with your hands once it has chalked up/dried) ---- not only does my makeup look a-m-a-z-i-n-g all day, but it really must be what is giving me (and what my friends call) Benjamin Buttons disease....

If you break out from it, just try a different brand until you find one that works.... Whenever I am running low, I pick up a new bottle and am not really picky about it being Phillips or generic --- I actually find the generic thickens up faster (which I like more than when it is watery), but any will do.

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

After many reviews for products that will help my oily skin I came across this. I've seen it before in make up tutorials but never payed attention but being that I am in public all day and the sight of my oily skin bothers me to great strengths, I ran to my local pharmacy and got the bottle. After my first day or so using it, I didn't really see a big difference but I still held on to the possibility that my skin can change and after about 3 days I noticed the difference. Usually I would loose all my work in about 3 hours of applying my make up but with this product everything stayed in tact and matte including my highlighter which is a first for me. I literally ran around my house doing confessionals ( everyone looked at me like I lost my mind ) but I will never go a day without this . I even use it when I'm not wearing make up . I like to think of it as training my skin to calm its oily down .

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I used to be a devotee of Smashbox Photo Finish and HourGlass Mineral Veil. I was originally looking for chafing gel when I went to Wal-Mart but they didn't carry the one that I wanted. Turns out another girl that was in the same aisle I was in ran into the same dilemma. She told me that an alternative would be MOM. I was a little hesitant, but after purchasing this I don't have a need for face primers anymore. I use this after I've washed and moisturized my face, and I apply it with a cotton ball. It may have generate a whitecast but after you've applied your foundation it will disappear. I have really oily skin and I generally wear full coverage foundation, trust me when I say that this really does put and end to shine and extends the longevity of your makeup.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

THE BEST THING FOR OILY SKIN OUT THERE!!!!! I have such oily skin you can seriousley fry french fries on my face not even kidding. I just apply this all over my face before makeup or even if im not wearing makeup and it really keeps the oil at bay.. Since i have really oily skin i do get a bit oily around my nose but thats nothing! If i dont use this my makeup seriousley slides off my face within an hour.. Amazing amazing amazing this is HG!!!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I just bought this product because a friend recommended it and the positive reviews I saw online about it. Big mistake!

I have super oily, acne-prone skin but, I have not had acne in a very long while. I started using this product to help with my oily face but instead, it made my face more oily (if that's possible) and worse, I broke out in the worst case if acne I have seen on my face in ages. Acne everywhere, large pores and spots. Yikes! The end!

It obviously works well for some people given the positive reviews I've seen here but, it's not for me. Good luck

Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I loved this product because I've always wore makeup that had some type of slip and it would transfer onto clothes and even my boyfriend hand when he touched my face. I started using milk of magnesia and it helped my make up stay in place, for the first few days it was kind of sticky then I went without it for a week but I went back and tried it again and applied it a different way than I was before and now it's not so sticky, it keeps my face matte and feeling soft after, but I recommend to use a cleanser so your face dont be sticky afterwards but it is worth buying. It did have a slight smell of throw up to me, i don't know if thats how its suppose to smell or its just how I smelled it. Overall it's the best product ever!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

A friend who does drag suggested using this under my makeup to prevent myself from getting oily / shiny, so I figured it couldn't hurt to try since a giant bottle of it was only a few $ from the drugstore. Lo and behold, he was right!

I pour a tiny bit on to my palm (it may be easier to transfer this product to a pump bottle or something so you don't end up pouring out a handful) and rub it gently on to my clean, moisturized face. I focus on my oily areas, such as my cheeks and my T-zone. Then I apply my makeup regimen as usual.

I was really, pleasantly surprised to see that I didn't get oily throughout the day. This is a life saver for people who are prone to getting shiny by midday! I don't think I'll wear this every day, but it's definitely helpful for events or photoshoots where any bit of shine will look awful in pictures.