Maybelline New York Lip Polish in Flesh Light

2.3

on 4/7/2010 12:46:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I really wanted to like this product when seeing the beautiful flesh color in the tube. I was thinking I'd get a great nude gloss, and this one even seemed to have just a hint of shimmer, enough to be sophisticated without being obnoxious. Although in the end I still really like the color, there are unfortunately four main reasons why I immediately resumed my search for a nude gloss.

1) This color is extremely sheer, like REALLY sheer. I have very pigmented lips, and when I put this on, it's as though I did nothing but slather a little glossy shimmer on. Sure, it may make my natural lip color or whatever lipstick I put it over a bit lighter, but the color underneath still shows through dramatically. I will say that the gloss is much less sheer when first putting it on than after a little while, and this is related to my next point.

2) The staying power is nearly non-existent. I put this gloss on, and it seems to creamify (made up that word) whatever color is underneath it, but it fades away literally within 10 minutes, almost like it dries up and turns invisible. I'd keep this gloss as a sheer gloss if it at least stayed for a bit, but it doesn't, making it pointless to even wear it at all. Even worse, as it dries it becomes sticky... hate that!

3) This may be the worst part of this gloss... the formula is way too thin and runny. Immediately after putting it on, it races to the corners of my lips and inner rims, collecting in white globs (EW!!!) that make strings as I open and close my mouth to speak. The words I'd use to describe the feeling are slippery and gooey. I even timed how long it took for the stuff to migrate, and it was a record 30 seconds. This has no ability to stay put, no matter what you put it over. Considering how sheer it is and how lame the staying power is, you would think you could layer on a little bit more to contribute to both, right? No. Whether I used a lot or a little, the stuff was still runny, and was gooier the more I used.

4) The applicator is pretty bad. The tip is SUPER small, so small that I have to run it over my lips numerous times just to cover them, and it's round, not flat. It's very impractical and does not encourage an even application at all.

I'm rating this at one lippy just for the color in the tube, because it really is a beautiful color. Wish the formula was better, though. I found NYX mega shine gloss in Taupe to be the PERFECT nude gloss, it's matte and great quality. It's up to par with all NYX mega shine glosses, which, in my opinion, are GREAT formulas.

on 3/26/2007 9:39:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Fantastic nude lip gloss color. Hard to find colors similar to compare it to. I'll buy over and over again. I look weird with any color on my lips, so this is perfect for me.

Im a LLL Asian girl (MAC C2 BB sand) and this made my lips look pearly white! Ghastly!! Maybe it's just me but I so wanted to love this! Why does it work for everyone else? :(