Acne.org AHA+

Acne.org AHA+
AHA+

4.3

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

I got the Acne.org regimen and added this after playing around with the regimen for 3 months and thinking I needed something to deal with the ice pick texture and the post-acne pigmentation. Prior to this, I had never really had any other AHA so I didn't know what to expect. Even though I don't have sensitive skin, it definitely tingles, especially after I've already exfoliated (either with other chemical toners) or with dermaplaning, which doesn't mean that the product is bad necessarily, I recognize that I am exfoliating a lot more than perhaps recommended. Anyways, I don't use this all over, just as a spot treatment moisturizer...if that makes sense. I can't use the Acne.org moisturizer during the day because it pills up like crazy, even without any makeup. Instead I use this, but please not that it is not advised since it is a chemical exfoliate and makes you more sun-sensitive. To compensate for this, I reapply sunscreen every 3-4 hours and use a sun umbrella if I go outside even just for a few minutes.
Anyways, back to the product...it applies light yellow, like the Acne.org moisturizer but dries clear. It has a little bit of sheen but nothing that a dab of powder can't handle. I do like how it seems to dry out my whiteheads faster and encourages skin cell turnover. It is still a slow process, so I have seen just a bit of progress on the ice pick scars but I'm hopeful!
Keep at it and maybe don't use it exactly like I do, but it works.

on 5/26/2016 4:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

******** Edited August 18th 2016:
I don't use this product anymore. It was just too strong for my skin. This doesn't change the fact that this is still a good AHA that I would recommend for some skin type.
----

FYI: I don't follow the Acne.org Regimen/This review is based on the Acne.org AHA+ alone.

You definitely get a lot of product for the price, so it will last for a while! I actually buy the travel-sized AHA+ instead of the tube because I can't finish the tube before the expiration date. The travel-sized AHA+ last for a while too!

I use it when needed depending on my skin since it is a strong exfoliant. If I exfoliate everyday my skin would turn red, shiny and be really irritated. What I usually do is apply a pea sized amount of AHA+ at night. My skin looks smooth and glowing the next day.

Even if a BHA is usually recommended for acne-prone skin, I find that an AHA works better for me. In particularly this AHA, since it's moisturizing and calming at the same time. It helps with clogged pores, red marks and active acne. It did sting a bit when I first used it, now it doesn't. Also it might be too heavy for very oily skin.

For the tube AHA+: The only con for me is the packaging, like someone mentioned it in their review: 'the product constantly cakes up around the tube opening'. I always have to clean it before using the product.

on 6/16/2015 3:24:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I LOVE THIS. great, effective aha+ product for a really good price (given the large amount u get). its not pretty (the packaging) but it works!! i actually like that they are not trying to sell u on trendy packaging or high end looking product but dont be fooled it is a great product with great ingredients. beautypedia even gives it highest rating and they are pretty tough. i looked REALLY hard for best aha for my hormonal, acne prone, beginning to age skin with the best ingredients for the best value and this is what i ended up with and am very pleased. is a bit strong if ur not used to aha's so u can mix it with another moisturizer in the beginning til ur skin can tolerate it but thats how all effective aha's are. great for moisturizing parts of my face that have acne, jawline, chin, etc but i use it all over face because of its anti aging/ exfoliating abilities. only thing is it is a little greasy so u have to let it dry but its not like clogging pores greasy (cuz it actually does the opposite and exfoliates skin) it just has to dry. I LOVE IT. its worth trying especially cuz they have 3 different sizes so u can get small one to try out.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I love this stuff. I'm almost three months into Dan's regimen and my skin has improved a lot. While my skin is still a little bit dry, the AHA+ actually does a lot to help my skin moisturize. I know a lot of people use this alone as moisturizer, but my skin reacts badly to that much AHA+ and I'll start breaking out. The first time I used AHA+, I decided I would use it a couple times a week as a moisturizer. After breaking out, I stopped using it.

However, as soon as my skin got really dry and I switched my moisturizer to the Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream, I started to put half Cetaphil, half of this AHA+ on my face every night. Since then, my redness has went down, my skintone is more toned, my face feels smoother, and my acne marks are fading. I love this stuff! I will never not use this again. I use it every night and not in the morning due to the fact that I don't wear SPF lotions to protect me from the sun since SPF lotions always break me out (still looking for one!) I've never used something that faded my acne marks so quickly. I stopped having to use concealer because my foundation is enough to cover my marks because the lightened that quickly. I know people don't like the smell of this, but I don't really mind it. And although it does sting and make your face feel itchy the first time you use it, you do get more used to it with prolonged use.

I strongly recommend this for anyone who has acne because it's helped me wonder. Whether you are or you're not on the acne.org regimen, this AHA+ comes at a good price and there's nothing but good results that can come with it.

on 5/2/2013 8:54:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I used this for 9 months on my forehead, cheeks and neck and I used my alpha hydrox enhanced lotion on my chin. The results? Continuos breakouts on my face except my chin, it wasn't too bad but I would always have a few spots on my cheeks and especially my temples whereas my chin was ok! Coincidence? I think not! For those of u who have read my review on the alpha hydrox, u'll know that I absolutely love it! Hence why my chin is clear most of the time BUT the rest I my face was fine, all I wanted this aha to do was fade my marks but it honestly did nothing for my marks and left my skin feeling sticky, dry and more spotty! I couldn't be purging for 9 whole months so as soon as I stopped this a month ago, my face is clearer and I only get minor blemishes once in a while! It took my nearly a year to realise this wasn't for me LOL

My skin has improved so much using the acne.org regimen. Actually I only use the cleanser and the BP during the day. The cleanser is very gentle and works great to clean your skin. I use it with my clarisonic. At night I use the cleanser and the AHA moisterizer. It has been about 2 months and my skin is looking more smooth and nicer. Although not part of the regimen I also use Neutrogena Deep Clean gentle scrub. These products have made all the diffference in my skin. I am starting to get compliments on how good my skin looks. Love it! I am no longer extremely depressed and sadden by my acne/complexion. Skin is about 98% clear with maybe one or two same pimples.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I have been using Acne.org's AHA for about a month, now, every-other night before I go to bed. On the off-nights, I use M2's HP Skin Refinish 20%.

I can say that this stuff is truly great, especially for the price. Yes, the shipping is a lot, but for the quantity of the product, it's really dirt-cheap, even considering the shipping costs.

It's hard to tell whether the AHA is killing my acne, or if it's just the M2, but I can say that when I have had a blemish, I simply put a dab of this on it a couple of times a day, and the sucker breaks down within a day or two. My face hasn't been this clear since I was a pre-teen--and I'm 35! Nothing else has worked on my acne, btw, including glycolic and salicylic acids.

This product has great moisturizing properties, and I have used it as a moisturizer under makeup for those days when I feel a slight breakout coming on. It really seems to keep the breakouts at bay, and so long as you don't overdo it with the product, it doesn't ball up or roll off under makeup. (I use Everyday Minerals, so maybe this isn't the case with liquid makeup.)

Yes, there is a burning sensation when you first apply it. I actually prefer that, since it means it's doing what it's supposed to. You don't need to apply much at all, and a tube should last you quite awhile.

For those who broke out after using AHA, you should continue using it for at least two weeks. Your skin is more than likely purging the congested gunk that's below the skin's surface. If you're still breaking out after two weeks with no improvement, then it's safe to say that Acne.org's AHA isn't for you. So don't give up so quickly! ;-)

Again, it's difficult for me to say which product is clearing up my face (the M2 or the AHA), but I can say that my face has never looked so good.

I forgot to add: Please use sunscreen!! Because AHA is basically a resurfacing agent, you have to use sunscreen. If you don't (and if you already have lots of melasma and acne scarring) you will damage your skin and you'll be very unhappy which will lead you to hate skin resurfacing agents. And that, my dears, would be a crying shame because skin resurfacing agents are fantastic. You know how men say that beer is proof that God loves them and wants them to be happy? Well, things that take off layers of a woman's damaged skin to reveal young, healthy, happy skin are proof that God loves US and wants US to be happy.

Use sunscreen. (And this is coming from a sun-worshiper. Trust me.)

Sorry for the long review. Cheers.

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine

i love this stuff. lately i have gone from using this all over my face, which is too drying, to just spot treating any outbreaks i have. i find it shrinks the outbreaks much more quickly than if i just leave them. when i do use this all over my face like a moisturiser, it keeps my skin clear and even toned.

edit: i prefer to use retin-a 0.001% instead of this, as it has more benefits for my skin :)

on 6/7/2009 12:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

I used a very similar product in the past, Jan Marini Factor A+ lotion, w/ good results; but after time it caused more problems than it was worth. I would get reactive pimples around my chin, so I discontinued it's use. Six months later, acne returned b/c my skin was not turning over as quickly b/c of aging. I have since added this to my routine, along w/ the cleanser and BP; and I am very happy w/ the quick results. So far, no reactive pimples. I also like this in a tube rather than pump, b/c I can control how much is dispensed.

I must mention that I am not using it exactly as prescribed. I started using the AHA at the beginning of the regimen, b/c I am already very accustom to AHA. Prior to this I was using Jan Marini Bioglycolic wash, which I had to eliminate since that would be excessive chemical exfoliation. I also found that applying BP prior to adding moisturizer was too irritating for me. My current routine is first DK cleanser, then Moisturize (Decleor Iris Night Balm), add a light layer of DK's AHA all over, then spot w/ DK's BP to trouble areas. No irritation, only results.

on 10/12/2008 10:14:00 PM

Overall: 4

Price: 2 ($16.11/6oz)

Packaging: 3 (simple, inverted tube)

Buy again: yes

---------------

I really like this-- it's got 10% AHA (glycolic acid) in a nice creamy lotion base that moisturizes quite nicely while also exfoliating your skin. I used to have very heavy acne that only BP would fix, and then it has calmed down to light- moderate - but I still have a lot of red marks and the annoying zits that would pop up from time to time.

Now I only use this product, and it has evened out my skin tone (it looks really good now, even w/o makeup) and the red marks are practically all gone. And if I ever do have zits that come around, this takes care of them within a few days, and they're usually pretty small.

For the value, you're getting a high-quality AHA product, at an unbeatable price-- $16/6 oz! Neutrogena Healthy Skin Lotion (Night) is $16/2.5 oz, and is only 8% AHA!

This may not be your cure-all for zits, but at least it will help with the hyperpigmentation left behind. Give it a shot.

EDIT: May 1, 2009

I found I have less of a "pilling" problem if I use extra virgin olive oil to cleanse my face with first. I apply EVOO to my skin, massage, and remove with a hot, damp wash cloth, then let my skin dry. I apply about 1 dime sized amount of AHA+ all over my whole face, and I don't have the balling problem that I did when I used normal cleansers to wash my face.