Acne.org AHA+

AHA+

4.4

on 6/17/2012 8:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is 10% glycolic in a moisturizing base and it has become my favorite.

I did a split face test using this on one side and Alpha Hydrox Enhanced Cream on the other. After a week of applying every other night, the Acne.org side was noticeably clearer. I also notices that upon application, they both stung initially, but the acne.org side calmed quickly (within 5 seconds or so) while the Alpha Hydrox side continued to sting for 15-20 minutes.

The price of this product is VERY reasonable. I paid $21/6oz including shipping, compared to Alpha Hydrox $11/2oz, so much cheaper. The next time I order it I will get the larger size $33/16oz w/shipping. I use this on my legs too so it will be good to have the larger size.

Since this does not dry/irritate my skin like Alpha Hydrox, so I am able to use it every night. No known clogging ingredients, and the licorice root definitely calms my skin. LOVE.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I have been using Acne.org's AHA for about a month, now, every-other night before I go to bed. On the off-nights, I use M2's HP Skin Refinish 20%.

I can say that this stuff is truly great, especially for the price. Yes, the shipping is a lot, but for the quantity of the product, it's really dirt-cheap, even considering the shipping costs.

It's hard to tell whether the AHA is killing my acne, or if it's just the M2, but I can say that when I have had a blemish, I simply put a dab of this on it a couple of times a day, and the sucker breaks down within a day or two. My face hasn't been this clear since I was a pre-teen--and I'm 35! Nothing else has worked on my acne, btw, including glycolic and salicylic acids.

This product has great moisturizing properties, and I have used it as a moisturizer under makeup for those days when I feel a slight breakout coming on. It really seems to keep the breakouts at bay, and so long as you don't overdo it with the product, it doesn't ball up or roll off under makeup. (I use Everyday Minerals, so maybe this isn't the case with liquid makeup.)

Yes, there is a burning sensation when you first apply it. I actually prefer that, since it means it's doing what it's supposed to. You don't need to apply much at all, and a tube should last you quite awhile.

For those who broke out after using AHA, you should continue using it for at least two weeks. Your skin is more than likely purging the congested gunk that's below the skin's surface. If you're still breaking out after two weeks with no improvement, then it's safe to say that Acne.org's AHA isn't for you. So don't give up so quickly! ;-)

Again, it's difficult for me to say which product is clearing up my face (the M2 or the AHA), but I can say that my face has never looked so good.

I forgot to add: Please use sunscreen!! Because AHA is basically a resurfacing agent, you have to use sunscreen. If you don't (and if you already have lots of melasma and acne scarring) you will damage your skin and you'll be very unhappy which will lead you to hate skin resurfacing agents. And that, my dears, would be a crying shame because skin resurfacing agents are fantastic. You know how men say that beer is proof that God loves them and wants them to be happy? Well, things that take off layers of a woman's damaged skin to reveal young, healthy, happy skin are proof that God loves US and wants US to be happy.

Use sunscreen. (And this is coming from a sun-worshiper. Trust me.)

Sorry for the long review. Cheers.

on 5/26/2016 4:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

******** Edited August 18th 2016:
I don't use this product anymore. It was just too strong for my skin. This doesn't change the fact that this is still a good AHA that I would recommend for some skin type.
----

FYI: I don't follow the Acne.org Regimen/This review is based on the Acne.org AHA+ alone.

You definitely get a lot of product for the price, so it will last for a while! I actually buy the travel-sized AHA+ instead of the tube because I can't finish the tube before the expiration date. The travel-sized AHA+ last for a while too!

I use it when needed depending on my skin since it is a strong exfoliant. If I exfoliate everyday my skin would turn red, shiny and be really irritated. What I usually do is apply a pea sized amount of AHA+ at night. My skin looks smooth and glowing the next day.

Even if a BHA is usually recommended for acne-prone skin, I find that an AHA works better for me. In particularly this AHA, since it's moisturizing and calming at the same time. It helps with clogged pores, red marks and active acne. It did sting a bit when I first used it, now it doesn't. Also it might be too heavy for very oily skin.

For the tube AHA+: The only con for me is the packaging, like someone mentioned it in their review: 'the product constantly cakes up around the tube opening'. I always have to clean it before using the product.

on 6/16/2015 3:24:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I LOVE THIS. great, effective aha+ product for a really good price (given the large amount u get). its not pretty (the packaging) but it works!! i actually like that they are not trying to sell u on trendy packaging or high end looking product but dont be fooled it is a great product with great ingredients. beautypedia even gives it highest rating and they are pretty tough. i looked REALLY hard for best aha for my hormonal, acne prone, beginning to age skin with the best ingredients for the best value and this is what i ended up with and am very pleased. is a bit strong if ur not used to aha's so u can mix it with another moisturizer in the beginning til ur skin can tolerate it but thats how all effective aha's are. great for moisturizing parts of my face that have acne, jawline, chin, etc but i use it all over face because of its anti aging/ exfoliating abilities. only thing is it is a little greasy so u have to let it dry but its not like clogging pores greasy (cuz it actually does the opposite and exfoliates skin) it just has to dry. I LOVE IT. its worth trying especially cuz they have 3 different sizes so u can get small one to try out.

on 10/15/2009 12:22:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hell yes I would repurchase!!!!!! I LOVE THIS STUFF!! I cannot convey in to words just how much this has been my savior. I lovelovelove it. It tones down redness from anything agitated or irritated on your skin, it helps with wrinkles and compared to other AHA treatments out there, this is cheap! I tried it initially when Dan first was throwing around the idea to add it to his regime, and had a little beta bottle. This has been reformulated since then and its even BETTER than before. I came back to it recently after a bad breakout series and on week 2 I was starting to think I had made a mistake because my skin was getting all bumpy and ...ugh...not itself. BUT it was not inflamed at all, just bumps. Anyway, they disappeared within the next week or so and it was just a purging phase, ever since then my skin has been muchhh better. Seriously. Love it. Yes, it burns, but only initially if you are not accustomed to AHA's and it does go away once your skin gets used to it (a week tops?). The other day I had a bad, bad angry pimple and I put some of this on it and it stung like a mother but thats how I knew it was working! Sure enough the next morning it had significantly decreased in size and redness. And yes, it will ball up if you use too much. I have found that using it *before* the BP helps with that, though. A++++++!!!

on 9/4/2009 1:41:00 AM

Wow, this is the only AHA that I've ever used that didn't cause my skin to go completely bonkers, it gets rid of the blackheads that the BP couldn't. Been passing it around the office and my friends who are having bad breakouts, all the comments are that it flattens cystic pimples and clears blackheads, stat. Used to buy a half-year supply each time by my own lonely self, I think now I can easily get a few friends to combine and ship one big package to Singapore the next round, best thing ever, heads-up to acne.org!!

I love this product. When combined with acne.org Benzoyl Peroxide is it an acne fighting machine. I used Paula's Choice AHA for several months and saw zero improvement in acne and the texture of my skin, whereas 1 month of Tom's AHA has completely changed my skin. Unless you have a very mild case of acne, I highly recommend buying the BP along with the AHA. Highly recommend!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE....as with all of Dan's products, this has been absolutely amazing. I use this every morning and then moisturize. My skin stays blemish free and my skin tone is starting to look ten times better. Also my skin in so, so soft!

on 12/31/2012 4:33:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is my everyday night moisturizer. I was very wary of trying an AHA at first, but I really wanted to take the plunge and switch to a chemical exfoliant because my physical exfoliant was wrecking my super sensitive skin. Since my skin is so reactive, I try to use as few products as possible in my routine. I am very happy that I can get both my PM moisturizer and my AHA in one product with this.

Before I started using this lotion, I had lots of flesh-colored bumps/clogged pores on my forehead. After about 3 weeks of using this product, I noticed that my skin had an improved clarity and texture in all areas *except* for my forehead but I also noticed that I had an increase in whiteheads and I believed this lotion might be the culprit.

I wasn't totally ready to give up on this product since it was a good exfoliant for me but I still needed to fix the clogged pores on my forehead and resolve the whitehead problem. Given my skin's history, I was nervous to combine this with a BHA, but I was feeling bold and I knew BHA's were better for clogs than AHA's. As it turns out, I tolerated the combination of the two exceptionally well. When I use this *in conjunction* with a BHA on a nightly basis, I rarely ever get whiteheads, my skin is well-exfoliated, and the clogged pores on my forehead are a thing of the past. For some reason, this product didn't really agree with me *until* I started using it with a BHA every time.

Also, on a side note: I found that this lotion does a fantastic job of brightening up my tattoo during the winter when dry skin makes it look a bit cloudy. (Although AHA increases sun sensitivity, and sun exposure is especially bad for tattoos. I do *not* expose my tattoo to the sun at all if it has been recently treated with AHA -- I just like to keep it looking bright for my own enjoyment at home!)

on 11/21/2010 5:25:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This worked! I used it on my chest, upper back and buttocks where I would get the pesky blocked pores and pimples (nothing like the acne which was sometimes cystic that I had at the time on my face). It would really help clear up the areas. Of course I relented from using any other products in these areas. In hindsight, I'm pretty sure the blocked pores and pimples were caused by Palmer's cocoa butter. I have extremely sensitive skin that so far I have not found a product for every day or even occasional use that it tolerates. Having the most sucess leaving products alone. Facial skin really decongesting!!!
May come back to in the future. I am really learning from many sources about the skin and products. AHA seems to be more at one with the skin that BHA/bp/sacylic acid. My personal experience backs this 100%.