Kevyn Aucoin The Celestial Powder: Candlelight

4.4

Talc, Polyethylene, Phenyl Trimethicone, Nylon-12, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Isobutylparaben, May Contain: Mica CI 77019, Titanium Dioxide CI 77891, Iron Oxides CI 77491/ CI 77492/ CI 77499, Carmine CI 75470

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

This highlighter gives me life! It's so pretty and I like that it's not really warm or cool toned as a highlight, it's pretty neutral. It gives such a beautiful luminescence, not sparkly at all. Just gorgeous. The only down side I will say is that it's probably not as ideal for someone with very fair skin, it might not be light enough. I am medium toned, so it works great. Lasting power is impressive especially with a liquid highlight underneath as a base. I love that they give you lots of product too, and for the price at about $48 they definitely should. Another Kevyn aucoin product I am very pleased with!!

Kevyn Aucoin makeup is always top notch. This highlight powder gives you a really beautiful subtle glow. I would definitely use the liquid illuminator under this and then put the powder on top.

To Read all 53 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I picked up the Kevyn Aucoin Contour book, volume 2. (this was limited edition, but you can buy the items individually)

It includes the sculpting powder, sculpting cream, candlelight cream, and candlelight powder. (and the book had a few eyeshadows too - the shadows are more on the powdery side, similar to the Lorac formula)

Every once in a while a product comes along, that completely blows away everything else. This was instant HG for me.

Of the two formulas, I prefer the cream version. I have dry skin and find it applies so nicely. It is quite subtle, but I notice an immediate difference. It is less shimmery than the Becca. (if you are after a strobing, almost wet look, grab the becca powder instead) Although the becca isn't particularly glittery - I think the Kevyn Aucoin is even more natural looking.

The formula applies so well, and blends beautifully. You can apply it lightly for a subtle look, but it is also can be built up for a more dramatic look too. It just gives the skin a very nice glow.

Only con - it's pricey! They have released the contour book every year during christmas, which is great value for the price.

I grab my Wet n wild coloricon for travel. (it's inexpensive, and I don't have to worry about forgetting it, or it getting cracked)

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

For reference: Light-medium skin tone. Approximately NC25/NW25. Neutral to warm skin tone with broken capillaries and sensitive skin.

I was looking for a highlighter without glitter or a ton of shimmer. I'm not a fan of silver, pink or brassy gold highlighters.

After searching in drug stores and online I finally decided to try the KA Candlelight. I took a chance since this is not available in Sephora stores where I live. It arrived and I couldn't be more pleased.

The color is a neutral to warm light champagne color. No glitter or a ton of shimmer. It maybe has very fine milled light shimmer or glow to it. It adds a nice glow to my skin.

The only cons: It's pricey and the size is similar to a single eye shadow (maybe Nars size).

However I would be willing to pay the extra for a highlighter that makes me happy. I would repurchase.

I have fair skin, with yellow undertones.
I LOVE this product.
It highlights the skin, enhances cheekbones and never cakes.
I use it every day as a highlighter and sometimes as an eyeshabow. I can't say enough great things about this product.
If you want to splurge - I would say that this would be the product.
Gives the skin a slight dewy look.

PROS
Beautiful colour
Versitile Product
does not cake
lasts a very long time
pretty good brush

CONS
Is crumbling a little bit as the powder is almost finished

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

you dont get much product. its nice though. i prefer mary loumanizer because its more yellow. this is more subtle though so its wearable during the day. i dont use it much mainly because its expensive... it is nice though.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

Ehhh

It is a yellow highlighter, and yellow doesn't look good on my skin tone

I bought alot of his stuff (Concealer, sculpting powder, candellight poweder) and find it to be really intended for artisitc photoshoots, and really carving out features, somewhat like stage make up

Not intended for everyday, and who ever puts it on you is going for some special effect

Not flattering for everyday use and everyday highlighting

Too expensive as well

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

This is the highlighter I've been looking for! The Celestial Powder is very finely-milled and soft. There is no glitter or shimmer, which I'm really happy about. When I apply it to the top of my cheek bones, it gives an amazingly beautiful sheen. My skin looks instantly better, more glowing, but not in an obvious "I'm wearing highlighter" way. I was worried that the color Candlelight would be too warm for me, but it's perfect for my NC15 skin. The product also doesn't settle into pores.

My Celestial Powder doesn't have a brush in the compact, but I never use those anyway. I like to apply the highlighter with MAC 188, since it picks just the right amount and is small enough for highlighting. My only complaint is about the packaging, since the closing mechanism in the compact is a bit too loose. Therefore, I store the highlighter in the original box, but it takes more space in my makeup bag.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

What a disappointment!

I love Kevyn Aucoin as an artist and his makeup philosophy is always one I have followed. After purchasing and loving his sculpting powder, I believed he could do no wrong, and so I had no qualms about dropping $44 dollars on a highlighter.

However, after such a buildup of excitement and watching gurus rave about the product, when I actually tried it myself.... I saw nothing? Sure, there is no shimmer or glitter (which is what I liked about the descriptions of it) but also no glow and barely any pigment. Really no effect at all.

The product was quite talc-y and I experienced quite a bit of powder flying about when I dipped my brush in. And again.... I could barely see anything on my skin. And I'm not one who wants a highlight you can see across the room, but I would like to see it when holding a mirror right up to my own cheekbone.

I find that when I add a liquid highlight underneath this, and then add the powder on top, it looks quite nice and natural, but I really would rather not have a 2 step highlighting system.

Overall: Save your money, I'm afraid. While you might be looking for something subtle - this is just nonexistent.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I purchased this, the other Celestial Powder - Starlight and the Sculpting Powder and while I think these Celestial powders are beautiful they are dupable and far too expensive. This particular shade is more of a yellow-white-neutral shade. These are very pigmented and don't look at all glittery and come off very natural. I just think I have SEVERAL other highlighters that are less expensive (Physician's Formula comes to mind) or as good, if not better (Becca and Bobbi Brown Shimmer Bricks come to mind, among others). The compact is absolutely tiny - like a single eye shadow, which is good and bad because they are extremely travel-friendly but don't seem like you get much product. I really think when it comes to highlighting/contouring, the real star of these powders is the Sculpting Powder.