Kevyn Aucoin The Celestial Highlighting Powder - Candlelight

4.4

Talc, Polyethylene, Phenyl Trimethicone, Nylon-12, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Isobutylparaben, May Contain: Mica CI 77019, Titanium Dioxide CI 77891, Iron Oxides CI 77491/ CI 77492/ CI 77499, Carmine CI 75470.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

What a disappointment!

I love Kevyn Aucoin as an artist and his makeup philosophy is always one I have followed. After purchasing and loving his sculpting powder, I believed he could do no wrong, and so I had no qualms about dropping $44 dollars on a highlighter.

However, after such a buildup of excitement and watching gurus rave about the product, when I actually tried it myself.... I saw nothing? Sure, there is no shimmer or glitter (which is what I liked about the descriptions of it) but also no glow and barely any pigment. Really no effect at all.

The product was quite talc-y and I experienced quite a bit of powder flying about when I dipped my brush in. And again.... I could barely see anything on my skin. And I'm not one who wants a highlight you can see across the room, but I would like to see it when holding a mirror right up to my own cheekbone.

I find that when I add a liquid highlight underneath this, and then add the powder on top, it looks quite nice and natural, but I really would rather not have a 2 step highlighting system.

Overall: Save your money, I'm afraid. While you might be looking for something subtle - this is just nonexistent.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

uggghhhh all these great reviews really build up expectations but, sadly, i was very disappointed the few times i've tried to use this. the shimmer is way too much and it just sits on the top of your skin, magnifying every single flaw. settles into every single wrinkle and showcases every little blemish. it just screams LOOK AT ME I'M WEARING A LOT OF MAKEUP. the last time i tried to use it i got so upset by the way it looked (i was getting ready to go somewhere fancy) that i washed my face and had to redo my makeup from scratch. on a side note, NARS makes a similar product which in my opinion is far superior and far more subtle and glowy.

I am extremely pale and this did not show up on me at all. That's ok though, because I got a small size of this at Sephora in a KA contour kit, and both the sculpt and the white brighten shade in the kit are worth the price alone.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I got this in a KA sampler set which was admittedly too expensive for what I got

It's a nice extremely subtle highlight

I use it not unlike how I imagine the hourglass powders are used, somewhere between a setting powder and highlight

I can't say I dislike it but its a very subtle look and an extremely expensive product

I don't think I will buy the full size considering I feel like its just very expensive for a not impactful product. But it has class. It's a highlight I wear to work and dust right under my eye. Maybe I will miss it if I ever finish the super tiny sample size I have, but at this point its just so expensive.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

Ehhh

It is a yellow highlighter, and yellow doesn't look good on my skin tone

I bought alot of his stuff (Concealer, sculpting powder, candellight poweder) and find it to be really intended for artisitc photoshoots, and really carving out features, somewhat like stage make up

Not intended for everyday, and who ever puts it on you is going for some special effect

Not flattering for everyday use and everyday highlighting

Too expensive as well

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This product makes no difference to my complection! Where is the glow? The illumination? What is this?
And it's full of talc!
Fortunately I have some cream products to impart subtle yet genuine effects like an Estee Lauder click pen and the brilliant Chanel concealer.
And they are not drying.
Save your money

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is actually darker than my skintone so it won't do the highlight work for me, and it's wayyy to shimmery. It looks like I've stuck a shimmery material on my cheekbone. Also, it's a total craker.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I purchased this, the other Celestial Powder - Starlight and the Sculpting Powder and while I think these Celestial powders are beautiful they are dupable and far too expensive. This particular shade is more of a yellow-white-neutral shade. These are very pigmented and don't look at all glittery and come off very natural. I just think I have SEVERAL other highlighters that are less expensive (Physician's Formula comes to mind) or as good, if not better (Becca and Bobbi Brown Shimmer Bricks come to mind, among others). The compact is absolutely tiny - like a single eye shadow, which is good and bad because they are extremely travel-friendly but don't seem like you get much product. I really think when it comes to highlighting/contouring, the real star of these powders is the Sculpting Powder.

Think I'm going to be the second negative review for this product. Was hoping it would be more than it was . Don't get why they've split the packaging in two to place a crapy brush and the fall out is not great but I can get past these things if the product itself was as good as others that I have tried. I think it's ok. Certainly not worthy of the money or the hype but then I suppose few things are. I love some of his other products but this one didn't quite cut the mustard

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Ok, I would rather spend money on product than packaging particularly when small unuseable brushes are included. That aside this gets totally fabulous reviews everywhere, indeed I haven't read a single neutral, let alone negative, comment about it. So, I'll be first:
I was very excited about this arriving due to the great reviews, particularly focusing on it's highlighting rather than glitter based characteristics. Also, its champagne tint which I hoped would be warming rather than obviously white or pink like other such products.
I am very very fair, and just a light dusting resulted in me looking like a child with dry crusty food around their mouth on my cheeks.
I am certain this works for many people. I am too pale for it.