Kevyn Aucoin The Celestial Highlighting Powder - Candlelight

4.4

Talc, Polyethylene, Phenyl Trimethicone, Nylon-12, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Isobutylparaben, May Contain: Mica CI 77019, Titanium Dioxide CI 77891, Iron Oxides CI 77491/ CI 77492/ CI 77499, Carmine CI 75470.

I'm always so busy that I really only review products that deserve to be in my kit, as a 20 year pro veteran make up artist, that I use personally, or, when a product is so over hyped, that I do not want impressionable, young student make up artists.to feel they have to have a product, promoted by the Kardashians. It infuruiates me, that their names, are even in the same sentence as the late, great Kevyn, a icon, who made a real contribution to society. He was humble, gracious, a forward thinking educatator, possibly the most respected artist of my generation. For those of us who saw him work, it was magic he was a creative genius

This product is, finely milled, silky, no chalky no awful, vile shine, which enhances the appearance of fine lines, crows feet open pores. YUK . The Apricot, hue brightens and lifts, only a tiny touch is needed, on cheek bones, under brows, nose bridge, top lip centre. Used with a good blusher to achieve a good pro finish. In my opinion, this also works for HD,

This is my go to staple hi -lighter, if, I'm using powder, not, liquid application

My only moan, is I'd usually tell you to throw the brush in most compacts, but it has his name on, so keep it, just use a good brush hahahaha, I would prefer a smaller compact without the the brush.

For those of you moaning about the packaging Kevyn kept things simple, it will last you ages, as you only need a tiny amount. My kit would not be complete without a few of Kevyn;s products, also including sensual skin,

The whole line is not product swamped, instead some iconoic products, You are buying a piece of an artist, that, was so the head of his time

The one great thing about us aging ol farts,is we learned the old fashioned way, no youtube, self promoting, airbrushing or photo shopping, we have years of knowledge and products, we know what works for us, have more than earned our pro discounts our reviews are honest, we do not need free products,

KEVYN AUCOIN, never gone or forgotten R.I.P

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Really fantastic. I am addicted to this, personally, but also professionally (I am a mkp artist). There are alot of shimmery highlighters out there but this one is so subtle, the powder so finely milled, it doesn't look like makeup. Even in the harshest daylight, your skin looks soft and glowy. It photographs beautifully, as well.

I wish after "Would you buy this product again?" I could select "YES, YES, YES! I'm fighting the urge to stockpile it now!" I was in love with this product from the first swipe of my brush.

Product: It's wonderful as a subtle highlighter but it definately can be built up for more highlight. My favorite way to use it is as a finishing powder all over my face. I don't know if you're supposed to do that but no one has told me I look weird haha! In fact, I've gotten compliments on my skin lately and I attribute it to the fact that I've switched to DiorSkin Nude liquid foundation with this to set it.

A lot of products claim to give you that "natural glow from within" but this powder is the real deal. It's very lightweight (you'd have to really try to get too much on your brush, it just doesn't pick up that way) and not even a little glittery. As others have said, it's kind of a champagne color, although the color doesn't show on my NC15-NC20 skin. Although its champagne colored it's not warm-toned, more neutral. I don't think the picture is that accurate on the color of the powder, on my computer it makes it look too peach. I think it would work for most skin tones and undertones (unless you're a DDD, then I'm really not at all sure how it would show up, would love to see someone expirament with it).

Price: I got this on a HauteLook sale for $17 so it was incredibly inexpensive considering how much I love it. I think it retails for $42, which is definately expensive, but after trying the product, is absolutely worth it.

Packaging: I'm not a huge fan of any of the Kevyn Aucoin packaging I own, and this is no exception. It's in an ugly brown plastic compact with gold accents that reminds me of the smell of cigars and is the color of fake wood siding in old grampa cars. The plastic feels cheap. It's not necessarily flimsy but I would be worried about it holding up if I tried to carry it in my purse every day. The compact has the pan with the powder and then a square below where the brush fits. You can't see it in the picture above, but In the area where the brush goes there are little round holes that go clear through the bottom of the compact so any extra powder drains out. I'm not really sure why the packaging designers thought this was a good idea - loose poweder floating around in my compact bothers me a lot less than loose powder draining out of my compact into my purse/makeup bag. If someone can explain why these holes are a good idea, I'd really like to know! I'm sure there was some rational thought process to adding them, I just don't get it.

I've actually found the brush useful for quick application or traveling. It's a small half-moon kind of brush, small but a nice size for either highlighting or trying to hit most of the face but it's not soft so you'll want to use your normal brush if it's around.

Overall: I wouldn't let the poor packaging steer you away from this product. They can package it any way they like because I'm still going to buy it!

For reference: MAC NW20, dry sensitive skin, medium pores (can see them when you are close. It is hard for me to wear pressed powder as they usually accentuate pores, fine lines and just generally look awful on me. This can be a setting powder or a highlighter if you want one with minimal shimmer. The formula is silky smooth and fine. It works like a light diffuser and a fine veil, everything other products promise but never deliver. After I dusted it on with a powder brush, it immediately seemed to know where to go!

I am new to KA products so I was unprepared for the very slim compact which I would think would offer no protection for this pretty expensive powder. If you wanted to carry it in your bag for touch ups, I would think it would shatter very easily. There is also a perfume-y smell to his powder products that I dislike intensely, but I am willing to overlook it because the quality is so very high here. Everyone needs to experiment with makeup to see what works for them, but I highly recommend giving this a try. They are available at sephora. The boxes look a bit roughed up BTW, so I am wondering if sephora got these after they were sitting around a while. No matter, the stuff inside is what counts and I am very pleased.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is my first KA product, and I have to say I'm so impressed! I hadn't read any reviews before I purchased it, so I didn't have any preconceived notions about it.

In the compact, it's a very, very pale peachy-pink. I didn't notice any scent, and I'm usually pretty scent-sensitive. Yesterday and today, I used it as a finishing powder, applying it with a buffer brush. OMG. It makes my skin look almost "angelic." It's the perfect amount of highlighting, and it takes very little to achieve the perfect look. The way it reflects light is unlike any highlighter I've used before.

Bottom line is that I've found a new HG. It may sound a bit silly, but this single product makes me feel pretty. I can't say that about too many products.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this! It's like having your own lighting guy follow you around making sure you're lit up in just the right spots. I bought it during sephora sale (like $11) 2 months ago and wish I bought 10 more. I've tried so many highlighters and while I like the look of them, pores and pimple marks get in the way of looking finished but this product doesnt make my pores look huge or make me look greasy. Honestly girls, prescriptives magic, benefit, cover girl, whatever has nothing on this.

That Kevyn Aucoin really did know things about make-up! This is hands down one of my most favourite highlighters and I have a few to pick from :) I only use this as a highlight on top of my cheek bones and couldn't really imagine using it as a finishing powder, on me it would be too sheeny/glowy for that.

This powder is best applied lightly with a fan brush and you really don't need much at all, the colour looks like nude champagne - but on my NC15 skin, just leaves a my skin but much better, angelic gleam, looking like you have a healthy glow from within coming through.

I have the newer packaging which does not include a brush - so its small but its all powder at 3.10g. For all you NZ and Aussie girls who will know if they are hunting this one down - KA is hard to find but this product sometimes pops up on strawberry.net and is also sold now from kissandmakeupny

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

uggghhhh all these great reviews really build up expectations but, sadly, i was very disappointed the few times i've tried to use this. the shimmer is way too much and it just sits on the top of your skin, magnifying every single flaw. settles into every single wrinkle and showcases every little blemish. it just screams LOOK AT ME I'M WEARING A LOT OF MAKEUP. the last time i tried to use it i got so upset by the way it looked (i was getting ready to go somewhere fancy) that i washed my face and had to redo my makeup from scratch. on a side note, NARS makes a similar product which in my opinion is far superior and far more subtle and glowy.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

so expensive but an awesome product! i'm oily in the t-zone so i'm very careful about putting any kind of shimmer or any sort of hightlighter on. this stuff is so finely milled and subtle that it does not make me look shiny in any way. the light has to hit you to really see the effect of this product.... glow glow glow~ no shine!! i like to wear this when i know i'm going out to dinner or somewhere where the lighting is right. HG

The most beautiful highlighter I've ever used. I was addicted to NARS albatross before I tried this. While albatross is more of a white powder - this is more of a beige shimmer - so it looks more natural. It has the perfect name "candlelight" it really does look that way - like a warm accent of light where ever you apply. Love it!!!