shu uemura H9 Hard Brow Pencil - Seal Brown

Filtered by eye Color : Blue

4.6

Hydrogenated castor oil, stearic acid, cera microcristallina / microcrystalline wax, candelilla cera / euphorbia cerifera (candelilla wax), carnauba / copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, rhus succedanea / rhus succendanea fruit wax, hydrogenated coconut oil, hydrogenated palm kernel oil, hydrogenated palm oil [+/- May contain: mica, CI 77492, CI 77491, CI 77499 / iron oxides, CI 77891 / titanium dioxide]

I love this eyebrow pencil! I've found other pencils to be too warm in colour, or too soft (and therefore smudgy).

This one is perfect.

I can't imagine ever running out of this pencil because it's so long, so the cost is not an issue for me.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

Love. Grail.

I've been having my naturally dark ash-blonde hair lowlighted for some time now, and have had trouble finding a suitable shade for my brows that works well. Powders generally don't last on me, and although I like Laura Geller's Brow Marker, it looks painted on and sweats off; YSL's Dessin Des Sourcils in Glazed Brown is close, but is soft and very easy to overdo. When I saw Shu Uemura was havving a sale, I decided go for this pencil, and I am delighted with it. Yes, it's hard, but it applies easily (without overdoing) when the lead hits the brow. And the color is amazing--dark enough to look natural with my lowlights, and an unusual shade that looks absolutely natural as a brow color. I'll be using this until I stop getting lowlights!

Did they change the formula on these pencils? I bought Shade 3 a few years ago but now that I've changed my hair colour I've switched to Shade 2. My old Shade 3 pencils is harder so the colour lasted longer on my brows (and my patchy bits where my brows should be but aren't) but it snapped quite easily. My new Shade 2 pencil is much creamier so it's lasting power is less but I might be able to use all the product this time instead of being forced to chuck the shards that have snapped off. Gave the packaging a 4 because they have so obviously shrunk the size of the pencil by about an inch in the past few years without changing the price, but I love the nib and the free sharpening service.

What I love:
The ashy shade (Shade 2, Shade 3 is warm)
The lasting power (even the new formula is extremely long lasting - not so great if you get it wet though)
Great look with minimal product (I use it quite a few times each week and get it sharpened about every three months)
The formula - I think I do prefer the new one actually. With my old pencil it was possible to use too light a hand and just get no result. It was also possible to press too hard and snap the lead.

Will definitely buy again - though love the fact that I won't have to shell out for a while haha.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

HG! Will never be without again...I've spent hundreds of dollars worth of disappointment on brow pencils, powders, gels, you name it. I was using the Anastasia brow palette and it wasn't quite what I wanted but close. The color of this pencil is perfect, just perfect! I am thrilled to have found it. It has been quite a task finding a cool toned brow anything. I am NW15, dark ash blonde/lt ash brown so anything with warm, red tones didn't work for me. Will buy again and again!
Updated-- pencil is still almost full, my skin changed after having a baby, not sure if that's why it began looking warm/red on my or if it was bc it's old?
See other reviews for my best brow routine :)

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I've used brow pencils before and been happy with them but the quality of this just blows them out of the water. I was dubious when I swatched it on my hand because it didn't leave a mark, I thought it wouldn't make any sort of difference to my brows. I was wrong! When used on brows Shu claim that the natural oils from the brow hairs release the pigment, and this really seems to be the case. This is the first pencil I've been able to use through my whole brow without it looking too harsh but still making it defined and natural. The colour is a perfect match, not too ashy and not too red, and it seems to blend in really well. It also has great lasting power, other softer pencils rub off very easily, and this stays put all day. I got the SA to sharpen it, it's best used in a flattened shape that allows you to mimic the brow hairs as you are filling in. It was not as expensive as I thought it would be, 16 in the UK. This is actually really good value as because it is a hard pencil (hence the name!) you only use a very tiny amount every time you use it. I've had mine for over a month now and barely notice a difference even with daily use. I could honestly see this lasting me years. I only wish Shu made these available on their UK website, I got this while on holiday. There are no stockists of the pencil where I live and that means no free sharpening, looks like I'll be attempting it myself when it needs done!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I'm a convert! This is a true neutral taupe with no reddish or yellow tones. The hard formula makes it go on lightly.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I'm a brow product junkie. Powders, pencils, markers, you name it. I even once tried putting Benefit's Glamazon bronzing liquid on my brows - yeah, that didn't work.

But, I've found my HG in this pencil. It's the perfect shade of ashy brown. Why do so many brow products have so much orange??

Anyway, the extra special trick to this pencil is to get it shaved, not sharpened. One of the other reviews mentions the blade tip. Yup, that's the way to go. If you have a chance to buy this in person at a Shu store (or at a counter if the MA's have been trained in it) get them to shave it down for you. That flat, sharp tip is *ideal* for creating perfectly defined brows. Mine's getting a bit dull; I really need to take it in to the store and get it resharpened. I suppose I could try and do it myself, but, nah.

edit on 8/7 - I found out yesterday that the Shu store in Pac Heights in San Francisco is currently the *only* store in the country where you can get the pencils shaved instead of sharpened! I tried going to the Shu counter at a Barney's in Chicago and they had no one trained to do it. So, I guess, either encourage the counter to get their staff trained, or maybe order it directly from the store in SF? It really does make a difference. At least I'll be back in SF in a few weeks and can get it sharpened.

Popular Brows Products