shu uemura H9 Hard Brow Pencil - Seal Brown

Filtered by skin tone : Medium

4.4

Hydrogenated castor oil, stearic acid, cera microcristallina / microcrystalline wax, candelilla cera / euphorbia cerifera (candelilla wax), carnauba / copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, rhus succedanea / rhus succendanea fruit wax, hydrogenated coconut oil, hydrogenated palm kernel oil, hydrogenated palm oil [+/- May contain: mica, CI 77492, CI 77491, CI 77499 / iron oxides, CI 77891 / titanium dioxide]

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

The length is so long that it isn't very easy to use but it is still a good product. I was holding it too far back and therefore not getting a decent grip to precisely shade my brows. Hold this closer to the front and it will deliver a warm brown color that goes well with my hair. I would repurchase definitely.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Worth every penny! I love this! I loved it even more when it was shaped like a naginata blade but there's no Shu Uemura here in Switzerland and I failed so bad at sharping it with a cutter (and succeeded in breaking the hard mine yes screw me). So now it's pointy. But it's still so good though. I just draw my eyebrows differently.

I bought it in Malaysia. For reasons, Shu Uemura attracts me and I love eyebrows. I ended up getting this because I like the concept of a hard pencil for eyebrows. The guy at the counter advised me to get the seal brown colour because it matches my skin tone the best. My hair was just slightly dyed in a washed-off copper brown (you know that old dye colour we keep huh) at the end of the strands but my natural hair growing out is that Asian deep-brown-almost-black. The pencil's got a neutral tone on my skin; it's neither warm nor ashy. It's perfect!

It is not waterproof. The ends of the drawn eyebrows gets less sharp at the end of the day, but well, maybe because of the humid weather and my gross amount of sweat of the summer. It stands better if I powder them after drawing.

It is pricey on the purchase but it lasts very long, so it's relatively expensive. No matter what, I will repurchase this!

Oh H9, where have you been all my life?

This is really the only brow pencil you'll ever need. I cringed a bit about paying this much for a brow pencil, but I've had this for a couple months now and I have YET to sharpen it. It is so natural looking and totally not waxy like other pencils I've tried.

The color matches my medium/dark brown hair perfectly and is pretty universally flattering.

Have to agree with everyone else. This is so natural looking, by far the best eyebrow pencil i've ever used! I bought like 4 of them, so i have one for my purse makeup bag, travel bag, the gym, and for at home. Highly recommend.
only issue is sharpening it. The shu umera store used to sharpen it for free, but they closed their retail stores. anyone have advice on how to best sharpen? The store had a special sharpening method that made it flat rather than the typical pencil point.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

This is my absolute HG brow pencil! If I'm not going to use this brow pencil, I'd rather shade my brows in with eye shadow.

It's a lot to spend for a brow pencil, but it really is worth it. The angled tip works wonders for the natural shape of my brow. I really would be lost without this, with my sparse brows.

Because of how dependent I am on this product, I would recommend keeping 2 of these, unless you can sharpen it by yourself, as they do break easily when dropped (doh!) I've dropped it around 3 times - twice on the floor, once on my dresser.... twice on my dresser, but once I was lucky enough for it not to break

I could rave about this product all day, but I have removed one lippy - here's why...
1) Pricey
2) Must be sharpened by a pro, which means you have to really be careful with it. Without dropping it however, it does last a long time before it needs sharpening. Plus, I don't mind going to the SU store. The girls there are always so sweet!!

-----------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: I love this pencil and I wish I could keep using it but I found out it photographs really grey. :(

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I'm so glad when I asked the SA what choices I had with brow pencils they suggested this on. I was using my mom's before which was also from shu uemura, but it was the refillable one and the colour tends to be too dark which I didn't like, but still used ;;;

I wanted a natural look so they suggested this and I even tried it out when I got my eyebrows shaped. I love how the colour looks natural and I can work with it to make it darker or lighter by using a mascara corn brush,

Sharpening this is a little annoying thro, I could have cut it myself, but I always worry about screwing up so I take it back to the shop every time I need it sharpened which is around every 3 weeks. But thats ok, the SAs there are really nice about it too.

Only thing is the lid <_< its completely cracked and all I do is put it in my make-up bag and I don't even drop it or anything ...

UPDATE/EDIT 7 Jan 2011: Maybe this goes without saying but I'll tell you anyway that this works best BEFORE you powder your face because the natural oils on your brows are still there for the pencil to work.

I have sparse browse. So sparse and the hairs are fine that without MU I look like I have none. the tail ends of my brows are also almost nonexistent. I have been trying to grow them but obviously in the mean time I have to fill them in.

Seal Brown is so popular (just look at the ratings, too!) but it doesn't work on *very* sparse brows like mine! It needs oils from the brow hairs to activate the pigments, so how can I get any colour out when I have no hairs to begin with?

Where there is hair, this pencil will give it some illusion of thickness, and a nice colour (I must say the colour is very natural. I have black hair but Seal Brown is dark enough for me without being harsh). But at the ends, my brows look obviously drawn on. In the, umm, bald areas between the hairs the colour is very flat. Me no likey.

It also takes very long to do my brows with this pencil because you need light short strokes which I can't do in a hurry. It also takes many strokes for the intensity or depth of colour that I want.

I am going back to powders and mascara to fill in my brows. I hate returning stuff so this will go into my swap basket.

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I've been using the same pencil for over three years now, its down to 1/3 now. I don't need sharpening much either. This is such a quality product. Seal Brown is the perfect color for dark brown/black haired gals. Its very pigmented and just enough wax to fill in and groom brows.
Great find!

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

AWESOME brow product....superior to anastasias....i actually gave up on brow pencils n have been using powder form since it gives me a more natural look...i gave this a try due to the raves....this is definitely not harsh/garish....my hair is currently dark brown with blonde highlights n this works as well as my Mac wedge....

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

For everyone who doesn't believe these reviews, I just have to say WOW! Much more precise and natural looking than brow powder. Faster too. A great investment.

I am Asian, with very dark brown hair and relatively full eyebrows. But I need a lot more definition and to fill in some bald spots. But do try this at the Shu counter before you commit. The look is natural. Not for you if you want super dark drag queen-esque brows.

Popular Brows Products