shu uemura H9 Hard Brow Pencil - Seal Brown

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium

4.5

Hydrogenated castor oil, stearic acid, cera microcristallina / microcrystalline wax, candelilla cera / euphorbia cerifera (candelilla wax), carnauba / copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, rhus succedanea / rhus succendanea fruit wax, hydrogenated coconut oil, hydrogenated palm kernel oil, hydrogenated palm oil [+/- May contain: mica, CI 77492, CI 77491, CI 77499 / iron oxides, CI 77891 / titanium dioxide]

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Wow, I really don't know what it is about Shu Uemura, but it makes my skin completely eat itself. This eyebrow pencil is alright, though you have to press really hard to get color and I think in that case you lose some precision. But jeez, after using this for a week or so my eyebrows developed all of these white bumps that looked like whiteheads. I stopped for a while and then tried it again one or two days and my eyebrow skin went nutso again. This same thing happens to me with Shu Uemura foundation. I love their makeup, but what gives??

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I am a brow fanatic and am always getting complimented on them. I have naturally full Asian brows but there are some bold spots and I prefer a sharp defined arch and tail. However, sometimes I prefer a more soft, natural look and that's where this pencil comes in. Doesn't give a lot of pigmentation so it takes me a while to do my brows using this pencil. In natural light my brows look amazing and NATURAL. I've used this for two weeks and it doesn't even look like I've used it. I have naturally dark brown hair but it's been dyed reddish plum. The color Seal Brown can be used on almost any hair color and still look good imo. Don't be alarmed at the grayish color because it doesn't come across as cool toned ashy gray when applied.

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I've used this pencil in Stone Grey and Seal Brown. I find both are suitable for people with dark Asian hair for myself but use Seal Brown now that I've dyed my hair lighter.

This pencil is amazing, my brows always look natural and no one can tell I've drawn my brows on unless I tell them. I'm heavy handed with my pencils so a spoolie is essential to soften the look but if you are light handed you shouldn't have a problem.

It's a super long pencil and hardly ever needs sharpening so although it costs £16.50, it is worth it in the long run because it'll last ages!

I decided against getting it sharpened into the naginata shape because not everyone at my my local Shu Uemura is trained to sharpen them (which is very annoying if you're made to make several trips to get your bloody pencil sharpened) but the pencil works just as well as a regular shaped pencil. In fact I actually prefer it because I can draw the arches and ends of my brows easier.

The pencil definitely transfers easier on moisturised skin so if your brows are a little oily, they will turn out darker. I recommend lightly powdering your brows to prevent over drawing your brows.

Overall, I highly highly highly recommend this brow pencil!

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

The Shu Ueumura H9 Hard Brown in Seal Brown is by far the best eyebrow pencil for girls who already have bushy eyebrows to work with. This is definitely for girls who have a good set of brows to begin with, as the formula will not allow you to draw in precise hairs or give sharp lines. The formula reacts with the oil in brow hairs and releases the pigment through the interaction with the oils. So if you try and test it on your hand you won't get much pay off as hands have less oil on the skin in those areas. So for girls who already have bushy eyebrows and are just looking to beef them up with colour, this product is great. I hated with I would use a brow pencil and it would go all over my skin. With this, it doesn't do that. It just clings to the hairs and makes them more full and defined.

pricey, pricey, pricey but worth every penny!
hard 9/seal brown is a dark brown-black colour which goes on light, but buildable and hard to overdo. no hint of red here. it adds subtle and natural colour to my eye brows. lasting power - all day long. i would definitely repurchase, when i eventually run out! been using this eyebrow pencil every other day for over a year and i still have lots left. HG

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is definitely the BEST eyebrow product for dark brown/black hair asians! If you are into the Korean natural makeup look, this is the colour for you. The colour matches my natural black hair colour PERFECTLY. When it is bought from the shop, the pencil head is sharpened to a tapered shape resembling a blunt blade, It makes it SO easy to draw and define my eyebrows with this. Just shade with small light strokes along with your eyebrows and use a eyebrow brush to even the colour. Shu Uemura shops in Singapore provides free post-purchase service of shaving the pencil head into a blunt blade. My HG eyebrow pencil!

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I have a pea size bald spot at the beginning of my left brow.
This product mimic the hair and depending on how hard I pressed it on the skin, will either be darker or lighter, followed with stroking by an eyebrow brush to look even more hair-realistic.
I had it sharpened at the Shu counter, they called it the Shinto cut or something like that, which to me, is a gimmick because it waste a lot of product. Now, I just use a pencil sharpener.
The only complaint I have is the cap, you think Shu will have the common sense to use a soft (flexible) plastic as a cap instead of a hard (brittle) one. Mine never fit snuggly to the pencil and eventually cracked and became useless.
With the rate I am using it, will probably last 10 years. By the time, either I will die of old age or something better will come out. So, no re-purchase for me.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

Love. Grail.

I've been having my naturally dark ash-blonde hair lowlighted for some time now, and have had trouble finding a suitable shade for my brows that works well. Powders generally don't last on me, and although I like Laura Geller's Brow Marker, it looks painted on and sweats off; YSL's Dessin Des Sourcils in Glazed Brown is close, but is soft and very easy to overdo. When I saw Shu Uemura was havving a sale, I decided go for this pencil, and I am delighted with it. Yes, it's hard, but it applies easily (without overdoing) when the lead hits the brow. And the color is amazing--dark enough to look natural with my lowlights, and an unusual shade that looks absolutely natural as a brow color. I'll be using this until I stop getting lowlights!

Pros:
* time-saver (takes a few seconds just to draw your brows)
* very VERY natural looking brows

Cons:
* needs to be sharpened at the store (but they "eat" up so much of the pencil in the process); or
* needs to be sharpened manually with a blade (messy and time-consuming)
* expensive

After trying to find a more reasonably priced replacement (I tried Prestige Brow Perfection Brow Pencil, Lioele Auto Eyebrow, Milani Brow Fix), I'm afraid nothing comes quite close to this.

For those who say that there's hardly any pigmentation coming out when you use it are not using this pencil correctly at all!

I'll be re-purchasing!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought this product after reading the reviews on MUA and other beauty blogs. I had been using Shiseido's brow pencil in natural black but have been unsatisfied with the results; it no longer looks natural on me. This Shu Uemura pencil is so much better due to the way it is sharpened and the formula. I've noticed that my brows look less penciled in and a lot more natural, and my sister who is my biggest critic also agrees. As for the colour, I had the sales associate try on both seal brown and stone black on me, and after some hemming and hawing I went with the brown. They both look really natural; I just picked brown because it looks a tad less harsh on me. It can look a little red under some lighting, but not overly so. Overall I'm glad I gave this a try! I might get the stone black one in the future just to mix things up.

Popular Brows Products