Shu Uemura H9 Hard Brow Pencil - Seal Brown

4.7

Hydrogenated castor oil, stearic acid, cera microcristallina / microcrystalline wax, candelilla cera / euphorbia cerifera (candelilla wax), carnauba / copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, rhus succedanea / rhus succendanea fruit wax, hydrogenated coconut oil, hydrogenated palm kernel oil, hydrogenated palm oil [+/- May contain: mica, CI 77492, CI 77491, CI 77499 / iron oxides, CI 77891 / titanium dioxide]

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Wow, I really don't know what it is about Shu Uemura, but it makes my skin completely eat itself. This eyebrow pencil is alright, though you have to press really hard to get color and I think in that case you lose some precision. But jeez, after using this for a week or so my eyebrows developed all of these white bumps that looked like whiteheads. I stopped for a while and then tried it again one or two days and my eyebrow skin went nutso again. This same thing happens to me with Shu Uemura foundation. I love their makeup, but what gives??

UPDATE/EDIT 7 Jan 2011: Maybe this goes without saying but I'll tell you anyway that this works best BEFORE you powder your face because the natural oils on your brows are still there for the pencil to work.

I have sparse browse. So sparse and the hairs are fine that without MU I look like I have none. the tail ends of my brows are also almost nonexistent. I have been trying to grow them but obviously in the mean time I have to fill them in.

Seal Brown is so popular (just look at the ratings, too!) but it doesn't work on *very* sparse brows like mine! It needs oils from the brow hairs to activate the pigments, so how can I get any colour out when I have no hairs to begin with?

Where there is hair, this pencil will give it some illusion of thickness, and a nice colour (I must say the colour is very natural. I have black hair but Seal Brown is dark enough for me without being harsh). But at the ends, my brows look obviously drawn on. In the, umm, bald areas between the hairs the colour is very flat. Me no likey.

It also takes very long to do my brows with this pencil because you need light short strokes which I can't do in a hurry. It also takes many strokes for the intensity or depth of colour that I want.

I am going back to powders and mascara to fill in my brows. I hate returning stuff so this will go into my swap basket.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Pros: Lasts a long time and is water-resistant. Perfect for light, natural brow filling -- I usually never fill in my brows but for photos I like to add a teensy bit of this pencil.

Cons: Pulls very red on me. When I was a redhead it was my go-to brow pencil, but now that my hair is dark again you can really tell that the pencil doesn't really match my eyebrows. I am NC10 with very dark hair so you can really tell just how much it doesn't match. I have since switched to a light ash gray pencil with much better results.

I'm shocked at how many other gals with black/dark brown Asian hair found this pencil close to black. On me it's a medium, warm taupe.

Of course, if you're a darker auburn/redhead, then it't s great and you should give it a try!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

After reading stellar reviews I ordered this pencil off the Shu website. It took about 2 weeks to reach me, and I was excited to try it out, I was sick of dealing with pots and brushes for eyebrow gel and wanted a quick way to shade in my eyebrows. I have decently full eyebrows, but wanted to fill in sparse areas and define them more.

The pencil is a bit longer than your average eyebrow pencil, mine was not sharpened the distinct way that some other reviewers here have mentioned, it came from the Shu manufacturer sharpened like a regular pencil. I read that it works when mixed with the oils in your eyebrow, so I tried to start filling in mine.

I literally had to scrape and scrape for about 5 mins to get any product onto my eyebrows, I had eyebrow hairs I had scraped out falling onto my cheeks, this pencil just would not transfer. After having used it several times, it does get easier to work with, but intitially I was going to give up. The color is a cooler brown, I am asian with dark brown hair, but this pencil does not give me precise lines or the ability to feather in strokes. Altogether unless your brows are the exact shade of brown, you will look like you have powdered in your brows. so if you are going for precise or super natural looking brows, this pencil is probably not it. I guess I don't mind the color, as it is decent, however, it is nothing special, not for the price. At least for me, this is not the type of effect I was hoping for.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

HG! Will never be without again...I've spent hundreds of dollars worth of disappointment on brow pencils, powders, gels, you name it. I was using the Anastasia brow palette and it wasn't quite what I wanted but close. The color of this pencil is perfect, just perfect! I am thrilled to have found it. It has been quite a task finding a cool toned brow anything. I am NW15, dark ash blonde/lt ash brown so anything with warm, red tones didn't work for me. Will buy again and again!
Updated-- pencil is still almost full, my skin changed after having a baby, not sure if that's why it began looking warm/red on my or if it was bc it's old?
See other reviews for my best brow routine :)

Despite it being a pencil, it still gives a really natural look. I have super sparse eyebrows but whenever I put it on, my eyebrows doesn't look drawn on at all! Really great effect. Great color as well!

But it comes off REALLY EASILY. It's not smudge-proof or water-proof at all. If you accidentally rub your face with whatever or if you get a bit sweaty, it will surely come off! I have to use another eyebrow pencil that's more waterproof (Max Factor) because I don't want to look silly by the end of the day, having uneven/no brows, if I only use this product. Might buy it again but I definitely have to use other eyebrow pencils to go along with it.

For me, the genius behind this product was also its downfall. According to Shu's website, this pencil's "unique color pigment releases only when it interacts with the oil in the eyebrow hairs." The result, for most people, is "natural, defined brows."

My problem is that I have very sparse brows due to years of over-plucking. There is one patch in particular where I only have about 4 brow hairs. I had to push so hard to get color to show up on my sparse patch that I was almost ripping out the few hairs left.

I wanted to love this. I tried for 6 months to make it work. The color match is perfect for my brown brows, but the formula just isn't right for me at this time. I switched to Anastasia's pencil and filler powder with better results. I still have high hopes for my Shu pencil. I'm going to stash it in my train case and use it again if my brows grow out more.

This is a great product for most people, but I can't recommend it for ladies with sparse brows.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

The length is so long that it isn't very easy to use but it is still a good product. I was holding it too far back and therefore not getting a decent grip to precisely shade my brows. Hold this closer to the front and it will deliver a warm brown color that goes well with my hair. I would repurchase definitely.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I use No.05, it gives my brows a very very natural and soft looking.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I have a pea size bald spot at the beginning of my left brow.
This product mimic the hair and depending on how hard I pressed it on the skin, will either be darker or lighter, followed with stroking by an eyebrow brush to look even more hair-realistic.
I had it sharpened at the Shu counter, they called it the Shinto cut or something like that, which to me, is a gimmick because it waste a lot of product. Now, I just use a pencil sharpener.
The only complaint I have is the cap, you think Shu will have the common sense to use a soft (flexible) plastic as a cap instead of a hard (brittle) one. Mine never fit snuggly to the pencil and eventually cracked and became useless.
With the rate I am using it, will probably last 10 years. By the time, either I will die of old age or something better will come out. So, no re-purchase for me.

Popular Brows Products