shu uemura H9 Hard Brow Pencil - Seal Brown

4.7

Hydrogenated castor oil, stearic acid, cera microcristallina / microcrystalline wax, candelilla cera / euphorbia cerifera (candelilla wax), carnauba / copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, rhus succedanea / rhus succendanea fruit wax, hydrogenated coconut oil, hydrogenated palm kernel oil, hydrogenated palm oil [+/- May contain: mica, CI 77492, CI 77491, CI 77499 / iron oxides, CI 77891 / titanium dioxide]

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Please click "Continued" below for pics!

This is an HG for me on the scope of Urban Decay Primer Potion for me. It's unbelievable and I don't think i'll ever be without this again. If for some crazy reason they discontinue it, I will buy 10. I would buy more but that will last me more than a lifetime. You'll see what I mean.

COLOR:This is a cool greyed brown pencil, i can see it looking great on almost everyone's brows from black brows, brunettes, dark auburn, dark, and even light blonde. It's a bit of a chameleon and it works really well for my dark brown hair that has strong red tones in the sun

TEXTURE: The pencil is, of course, very hard, but it doesn't tug very much. It will not write on your hand, but introduce it to an area that has hair and/or hair folicles and this baby moves. It doesn't melt onto skin, or smoosh, it just lightly adds some really believable strokes to your existing brows. My brows are starting to thin out a bit, especially near the outer edges, and i've gotten a few compliments just in the past week from people saying my brows look great. If they only knew....

PACKAGING: This is about 50% or more longer than most pencils I use. I have included a pic of this pencil, unsharpened, next to a MAC Powerpoint unsharpened, at the bottom of this review. After 5 or six uses the point on my pencil is still almost as sharp as it was when I received it and so I can imagine this lasting literally a few years.

WEAR: This stays on all day for me. You can cut off a portion of this huge pencil and sharpen it for touch ups on the go, but I haven't needed it, and i'm very oily. I add a little clear gel to mine sometimes which i imagine helps.

PRICE: $22 USD isn't much money for the amount of product that you get and the amazing results IMO. By the time you use this up, you would have been through 5 or 6 regular brow pencils, and whether you get those at the drugstore or not, I'll bet you're paying more than $22. Furthermore, I got this during Friends and Family, so I got 20% additional off plus free shipping, so I feel like it was the steal of the century

OVERALL: This is an HG of HGs for me, it is as phenomenal as UDPP for me and i will also never be caught without that. I wanted to try this for a long time and i'm so glad I finally did. I had been somewhat disappointed with Shu e/s that I've tried but still HAD to try this. If I were you, and I had any hair color, except red, that was darker than medium blonde, I would try this at least once. If for some crazy reason you don't like it, it will surely swap well!

Here is a pic comparing the size of the pencil (unsharpened) to a MAC Powerpoint (also unsharpened):

A pic with the pencil on one brow, the other w/o anything:

And also a pic of it on my brows:
continued >>

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

HG material! OMG i can't believe i JUST discovered this! i've tried many brow pencils and brow powders..and this is the best i've ever tried. i'm asian and this color looks soooo natural. lasts all day too. i hope they never discontinue this because i would be very upset.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

For everyone who doesn't believe these reviews, I just have to say WOW! Much more precise and natural looking than brow powder. Faster too. A great investment.

I am Asian, with very dark brown hair and relatively full eyebrows. But I need a lot more definition and to fill in some bald spots. But do try this at the Shu counter before you commit. The look is natural. Not for you if you want super dark drag queen-esque brows.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I bought this a few yrs back and i hated it cuz the color just wont show on my brows. I recently went to the counter and asked them abt it and it turns out i have been using this wrongly! THe KEY to using this is to use SHORT strokes. The color will be transferred to ur face and u will get really cute and nice brows =))

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This is the thing that a girl would need for defined brows. This is more like a cool brown with a tint of grey inside, that looks good for me. For reference, I have dark brown hair though I am Chinese. Black/ reddish brown/ grey pencils don't look good on me.

We have 2 versions here - one is like the normal pencil and the other one is like the pic I uploaded, which is also the one I got. The SA recommended the blade-like one I got for a better definiteion of brows esp at the brow end that you need a sharp line.

This is named as the hard formula and I wonder if they have a soft formula or sth? But anyway, the pencil tip is hard but not that will hurt your skin when you draw strokes in the brow area. Originally I couldn't get this work as I didn't use a spool brush to soften the strokes... Stupid me. The bristle brow brush will work too.

Also, you may want to let the pdt settle on your brows before adding more strokes as I find that it takes some time for the pigment to react with hair oil to be released. Otherwise, you may have brows that are too dark.

The price is reasonable too - considering the quality you get with Shu Uemura and quantity. This stays on nicely on me even in summer and that's also the time I have combo skin and more oilies.

The packaging is minimal but I am glad that is looks way different from my liner pencils, so I can always pull this out without mistakes especially when I'm in a hurry.

For me, the genius behind this product was also its downfall. According to Shu's website, this pencil's "unique color pigment releases only when it interacts with the oil in the eyebrow hairs." The result, for most people, is "natural, defined brows."

My problem is that I have very sparse brows due to years of over-plucking. There is one patch in particular where I only have about 4 brow hairs. I had to push so hard to get color to show up on my sparse patch that I was almost ripping out the few hairs left.

I wanted to love this. I tried for 6 months to make it work. The color match is perfect for my brown brows, but the formula just isn't right for me at this time. I switched to Anastasia's pencil and filler powder with better results. I still have high hopes for my Shu pencil. I'm going to stash it in my train case and use it again if my brows grow out more.

This is a great product for most people, but I can't recommend it for ladies with sparse brows.

I took all the reviews into consideration before purchasing this product and I'm so happy I did. This is the best eyebrow pencil I've ever used. The color is so natural looking and not harsh at all. Thanks to all the reviewers..I'm so happy this was not a waste of money since its VERY pricey.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

AWESOME brow product....superior to anastasias....i actually gave up on brow pencils n have been using powder form since it gives me a more natural look...i gave this a try due to the raves....this is definitely not harsh/garish....my hair is currently dark brown with blonde highlights n this works as well as my Mac wedge....

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm asian and have black hair so I've been looking for a good brow powder or pencil. I've tried several brow powders (ie. Anastasia's powder duo in brunette) but they aren't the right color for me... too warm or reddish.

After reading reviews, I decided to buy the seal brown brow pencil. At first, it was really difficult to put on since I was so used to powders. But I gave myself a week to try it. I LOVE IT! At first I tried pushing hard, but that didn't work so I've been using the short stroke technique and it works. It looks so natural because it doesn't go on too dark like with powders I've tried.

I gave it 4 stars because it's a little tricky to put on and takes a little more time. Even with the short strokes, I don't see where I've filled in right away. I'll do one brow and then switch to the other... it seems like it takes a few seconds to show up for me. And then I'll have to continue going back and forth until I'm done. But I absolutely love it and my brows look great!

Someone mentioned this doesn't work if your brows are sparse. I have one little patch missing from my brow... which is taking forever to grow back. And with the brow powder I could never fill it in very well because the powder wouldn't stay. Like I said before, it takes a few strokes to fill in the empty patch... but once I'm done, it stays all day!

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!

Great brow pencil, I only bought this today and already I love it! I have been using Benefit Browzings in light for the last four years and have been terrified to try out pencils for fear of unnatural looking brows.

This pencil creates natural and sleek looking brows - perfect colour and perfect texture!