shu uemura H9 Hard Brow Pencil - Seal Brown

4.7

Hydrogenated castor oil, stearic acid, cera microcristallina / microcrystalline wax, candelilla cera / euphorbia cerifera (candelilla wax), carnauba / copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, rhus succedanea / rhus succendanea fruit wax, hydrogenated coconut oil, hydrogenated palm kernel oil, hydrogenated palm oil [+/- May contain: mica, CI 77492, CI 77491, CI 77499 / iron oxides, CI 77891 / titanium dioxide]

This is the first brow pencil I've ever owned. I naturally have very thick brows that I've been growing out after having them threaded for many many years. I wanted to get a pencil during the growing out stage to fill in the areas that are patchier and make them look a bit more neat.

I was really unsure of what color to buy. There are very few swatches online, and many colors I couldn't find swatches for. I dye my hair blonde but have naturally light to medium brown hair, and Seal Brown ended up working reasonably well, although a touch lighter probably would be better.

The product itself is so.strange. While I haven't used a brow pencil before, I've watched people using one plenty of times and I know how it usually looks to apply it. With this pencil I didn't feel like I was seeing any color transferring until I moved my head further away from the mirror, and lo and behold the patchy area was fuller. As other reviewers have said, you're not supposed to draw on little hairs like you might with other pencils. You're sort of drawing on the hair rather than drawing on the skin. The technique I saw in a video demo that I have been using is to hold the pencil as flat as is comfortable against my brow and sort of drag the pencil across the area I want to fill in in short strokes.

The thing I like best about this product is it looks so natural that I don't have to do my entire brow. The penciled-in parts blend in completely with the rest. So if you, like me, have bushy brows with sparse patches you want to fill in, this is a great option. I was really self conscious about using a pencil on my eyebrows since it wouldn't take much for me to take these eyebrows into ludicrously bushy, distinguished English stage actor territory. But I have been quite happy with how it's turned out and that I can use a light hand.

By the way, apparently when you buy the pencil it's normally sharpened like the pic on MUA - supposedly like a samurai sword, and apparently this is important enough that people actually take their pencils to Shu Uemura counters to have it sharpened like this when it becomes dull. For the record, my pencil did not come sharpened like this. It was sharpened like a regular pencil (and yes I purchased it from a very reputable place, not a fake). I'm not sure what the difference is supposed to be really, but I haven't had any issues using my pencil.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

Puts every other eyebrow pencil to shame

Doubt I will run out for years and years the way this applies and with the amount of product you get

Very natural looking

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Wow, I really don't know what it is about Shu Uemura, but it makes my skin completely eat itself. This eyebrow pencil is alright, though you have to press really hard to get color and I think in that case you lose some precision. But jeez, after using this for a week or so my eyebrows developed all of these white bumps that looked like whiteheads. I stopped for a while and then tried it again one or two days and my eyebrow skin went nutso again. This same thing happens to me with Shu Uemura foundation. I love their makeup, but what gives??

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

The length is so long that it isn't very easy to use but it is still a good product. I was holding it too far back and therefore not getting a decent grip to precisely shade my brows. Hold this closer to the front and it will deliver a warm brown color that goes well with my hair. I would repurchase definitely.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I am a brow fanatic and am always getting complimented on them. I have naturally full Asian brows but there are some bold spots and I prefer a sharp defined arch and tail. However, sometimes I prefer a more soft, natural look and that's where this pencil comes in. Doesn't give a lot of pigmentation so it takes me a while to do my brows using this pencil. In natural light my brows look amazing and NATURAL. I've used this for two weeks and it doesn't even look like I've used it. I have naturally dark brown hair but it's been dyed reddish plum. The color Seal Brown can be used on almost any hair color and still look good imo. Don't be alarmed at the grayish color because it doesn't come across as cool toned ashy gray when applied.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Worth every penny! I love this! I loved it even more when it was shaped like a naginata blade but there's no Shu Uemura here in Switzerland and I failed so bad at sharping it with a cutter (and succeeded in breaking the hard mine yes screw me). So now it's pointy. But it's still so good though. I just draw my eyebrows differently.

I bought it in Malaysia. For reasons, Shu Uemura attracts me and I love eyebrows. I ended up getting this because I like the concept of a hard pencil for eyebrows. The guy at the counter advised me to get the seal brown colour because it matches my skin tone the best. My hair was just slightly dyed in a washed-off copper brown (you know that old dye colour we keep huh) at the end of the strands but my natural hair growing out is that Asian deep-brown-almost-black. The pencil's got a neutral tone on my skin; it's neither warm nor ashy. It's perfect!

It is not waterproof. The ends of the drawn eyebrows gets less sharp at the end of the day, but well, maybe because of the humid weather and my gross amount of sweat of the summer. It stands better if I powder them after drawing.

It is pricey on the purchase but it lasts very long, so it's relatively expensive. No matter what, I will repurchase this!

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I've used this pencil in Stone Grey and Seal Brown. I find both are suitable for people with dark Asian hair for myself but use Seal Brown now that I've dyed my hair lighter.

This pencil is amazing, my brows always look natural and no one can tell I've drawn my brows on unless I tell them. I'm heavy handed with my pencils so a spoolie is essential to soften the look but if you are light handed you shouldn't have a problem.

It's a super long pencil and hardly ever needs sharpening so although it costs £16.50, it is worth it in the long run because it'll last ages!

I decided against getting it sharpened into the naginata shape because not everyone at my my local Shu Uemura is trained to sharpen them (which is very annoying if you're made to make several trips to get your bloody pencil sharpened) but the pencil works just as well as a regular shaped pencil. In fact I actually prefer it because I can draw the arches and ends of my brows easier.

The pencil definitely transfers easier on moisturised skin so if your brows are a little oily, they will turn out darker. I recommend lightly powdering your brows to prevent over drawing your brows.

Overall, I highly highly highly recommend this brow pencil!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

The Shu Ueumura H9 Hard Brown in Seal Brown is by far the best eyebrow pencil for girls who already have bushy eyebrows to work with. This is definitely for girls who have a good set of brows to begin with, as the formula will not allow you to draw in precise hairs or give sharp lines. The formula reacts with the oil in brow hairs and releases the pigment through the interaction with the oils. So if you try and test it on your hand you won't get much pay off as hands have less oil on the skin in those areas. So for girls who already have bushy eyebrows and are just looking to beef them up with colour, this product is great. I hated with I would use a brow pencil and it would go all over my skin. With this, it doesn't do that. It just clings to the hairs and makes them more full and defined.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Neutral

I have this pencil for 3 months and it still loooonggg way to go. before I use retractable brow pencil and after having she uemura I realise what a waste a money for retractable pencil. I have a very fine eyebrow, and still not enough to plug it. and I did brow embroidery and still my eyebrow is fine as always. I use she uemura when I start my day, and it stays put! I don't think I need sharpen it like japanese style, I just sharpen it using sharpener and it works. Its waterproof, and natural. More importantly. it is a saviour for my pocket money. for the price, I think Its worth the money regarding the product I've got. the packaging is simple, nice, no complain about this baby. Its always ready on my makeup pouch, but i don't use it for touch up, because it has a good quality of staying power.

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

I've been using this brow pencil for the last two months and have been very happy with it. I used to use leftover brown eyeshadow on my brows after applying it to my lids, but this is a much more precise way of filling in my brows :) I bought this pencil after trying several shades in-store while overseas in Asia and the sales girl initially recommended a shade with some red tones in it, but I told her I wanted to try Seal Brown instead. I have black hair and Seal Brown is lighter than my hair color but still natural-looking. I think if I went darker my brows would look too harsh and mean looking.

This is definitely a hard pencil that isn't smudgy. I like how they shaped the pencil to have a flat edge because it makes application really easy. However, I recently had to sharpen my pencil and now it has a regular pencil point and I was sad but it still works well, as long as you draw in short strokes within your brows.

Initially this seems expensive, but I can see this pencil lasting for a long time. I sharpened it only after two months of daily use.

Popular Brows Products