Shu Uemura H9 Hard Brow Pencil - Seal Brown

Filtered by age: 36-43

4.8

Hydrogenated castor oil, stearic acid, cera microcristallina / microcrystalline wax, candelilla cera / euphorbia cerifera (candelilla wax), carnauba / copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, rhus succedanea / rhus succendanea fruit wax, hydrogenated coconut oil, hydrogenated palm kernel oil, hydrogenated palm oil [+/- May contain: mica, CI 77492, CI 77491, CI 77499 / iron oxides, CI 77891 / titanium dioxide]

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I am a brow fanatic and am always getting complimented on them. I have naturally full Asian brows but there are some bold spots and I prefer a sharp defined arch and tail. However, sometimes I prefer a more soft, natural look and that's where this pencil comes in. Doesn't give a lot of pigmentation so it takes me a while to do my brows using this pencil. In natural light my brows look amazing and NATURAL. I've used this for two weeks and it doesn't even look like I've used it. I have naturally dark brown hair but it's been dyed reddish plum. The color Seal Brown can be used on almost any hair color and still look good imo. Don't be alarmed at the grayish color because it doesn't come across as cool toned ashy gray when applied.

Have to agree with everyone else. This is so natural looking, by far the best eyebrow pencil i've ever used! I bought like 4 of them, so i have one for my purse makeup bag, travel bag, the gym, and for at home. Highly recommend.
only issue is sharpening it. The shu umera store used to sharpen it for free, but they closed their retail stores. anyone have advice on how to best sharpen? The store had a special sharpening method that made it flat rather than the typical pencil point.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

They don't sell Shu Uemura in Spain, so I when I went to England, I picked up a couple. They sharpened them at the counter for me too. So far they've lasted me 8 months without having to be sharpened!

Seal brown is perfect for my skin tone (medium tan/NC42, brown eyes and black hair). My HG for my brows.

Truly a backup worthy eyebrow item! There are many informative reviews here that explain this product's attributes beautifully. For me, one of its best quality is the color itself. I own this in Seal Brown (and have backups!) and find that this is a a great neutral to cool tint brown. I've gone through many other product where there is too much red in the color to look natural, but find that the Shu pencil in seal brown is a terrible natural shade for my brows.

It only works to deposit color on the hair, and will not leave color on the skin. I find that I need to have some moisturizer on my skin, or a bit after washing my face. If I try to apply immediately after washing my face, the pencil will not work.

It's hard to overapply this and get crazy eyebrows. And it is really easy to get a great natural enhanced eyebrows. Love it!

We don't have any counters in the US, so I can't take advantage of the free sharpening into that iconic flat sabre-like shape, so I just use a regular sharpener. I still find it works well.

This pencil will last a long time. I don't expect to have to buy a replacement for many years. Have to note that the plastic cap is really brittle and flimsy and broke right away.

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

Holy grail for me. Before reading about this, I used other pencils, that mostly ended up being too creamy, too pigmented, too brown, too dark, too warm, too red, too obvious. If you like using a pencil to define your brows (sometimes I find eyeshadows require more work), this is it. I have dark blonde brows and brown hair and this cool shade is perfect for me. The fact that the lead is hard makes it very easy to control and forgiving, and it doesn't budge all day. It's not cheap (20 euros in Italy), but I've had it for a year and a half now, I use it every single day and I still have plenty, so it makes a pretty good investment. I will always keep buying this.

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

This is the BEST brow pencil!! Don't let the price discourage you from buying it because it has way more product then any other brow pencil. If you look at your brow pencils or eye pencil most have .04 oz but I believe this brow pencil has like .21 oz. I could be wrong and I will edit my review when I get home and I can look at it. I have tried others that are pretty good (Shiseido, MAC, Laura Mercier, Smashbox) but they are pricey and they don't work as well. From the DS Rimmel and Sonia Kashuk make decent ones but I always go back to Shu Uemura. It will last you a long time. By the way it very flattering on many skin tones.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

The best eyebrow pencil ever!

Works very well with dark blonde hair.

It goes on the brow very dry and settles/softens as the day goes on.

Fills in brows quite nicely.

Very natural looking.

UPDATE/EDIT 7 Jan 2011: Maybe this goes without saying but I'll tell you anyway that this works best BEFORE you powder your face because the natural oils on your brows are still there for the pencil to work.

I have sparse browse. So sparse and the hairs are fine that without MU I look like I have none. the tail ends of my brows are also almost nonexistent. I have been trying to grow them but obviously in the mean time I have to fill them in.

Seal Brown is so popular (just look at the ratings, too!) but it doesn't work on *very* sparse brows like mine! It needs oils from the brow hairs to activate the pigments, so how can I get any colour out when I have no hairs to begin with?

Where there is hair, this pencil will give it some illusion of thickness, and a nice colour (I must say the colour is very natural. I have black hair but Seal Brown is dark enough for me without being harsh). But at the ends, my brows look obviously drawn on. In the, umm, bald areas between the hairs the colour is very flat. Me no likey.

It also takes very long to do my brows with this pencil because you need light short strokes which I can't do in a hurry. It also takes many strokes for the intensity or depth of colour that I want.

I am going back to powders and mascara to fill in my brows. I hate returning stuff so this will go into my swap basket.

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Love this hard long wearing pencil. Just had mine resharpened at the Shu counter. Very long hard pencil will last forever worth the cost for perfect, easy (no brush) brows.

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I've been using the same pencil for over three years now, its down to 1/3 now. I don't need sharpening much either. This is such a quality product. Seal Brown is the perfect color for dark brown/black haired gals. Its very pigmented and just enough wax to fill in and groom brows.
Great find!