shu uemura H9 Hard Brow Pencil - Seal Brown

Filtered by age: 30-35

4.3

Hydrogenated castor oil, stearic acid, cera microcristallina / microcrystalline wax, candelilla cera / euphorbia cerifera (candelilla wax), carnauba / copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, rhus succedanea / rhus succendanea fruit wax, hydrogenated coconut oil, hydrogenated palm kernel oil, hydrogenated palm oil [+/- May contain: mica, CI 77492, CI 77491, CI 77499 / iron oxides, CI 77891 / titanium dioxide]

This is the first brow pencil I've ever owned. I naturally have very thick brows that I've been growing out after having them threaded for many many years. I wanted to get a pencil during the growing out stage to fill in the areas that are patchier and make them look a bit more neat.

I was really unsure of what color to buy. There are very few swatches online, and many colors I couldn't find swatches for. I dye my hair blonde but have naturally light to medium brown hair, and Seal Brown ended up working reasonably well, although a touch lighter probably would be better.

The product itself is so.strange. While I haven't used a brow pencil before, I've watched people using one plenty of times and I know how it usually looks to apply it. With this pencil I didn't feel like I was seeing any color transferring until I moved my head further away from the mirror, and lo and behold the patchy area was fuller. As other reviewers have said, you're not supposed to draw on little hairs like you might with other pencils. You're sort of drawing on the hair rather than drawing on the skin. The technique I saw in a video demo that I have been using is to hold the pencil as flat as is comfortable against my brow and sort of drag the pencil across the area I want to fill in in short strokes.

The thing I like best about this product is it looks so natural that I don't have to do my entire brow. The penciled-in parts blend in completely with the rest. So if you, like me, have bushy brows with sparse patches you want to fill in, this is a great option. I was really self conscious about using a pencil on my eyebrows since it wouldn't take much for me to take these eyebrows into ludicrously bushy, distinguished English stage actor territory. But I have been quite happy with how it's turned out and that I can use a light hand.

By the way, apparently when you buy the pencil it's normally sharpened like the pic on MUA - supposedly like a samurai sword, and apparently this is important enough that people actually take their pencils to Shu Uemura counters to have it sharpened like this when it becomes dull. For the record, my pencil did not come sharpened like this. It was sharpened like a regular pencil (and yes I purchased it from a very reputable place, not a fake). I'm not sure what the difference is supposed to be really, but I haven't had any issues using my pencil.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Wow, I really don't know what it is about Shu Uemura, but it makes my skin completely eat itself. This eyebrow pencil is alright, though you have to press really hard to get color and I think in that case you lose some precision. But jeez, after using this for a week or so my eyebrows developed all of these white bumps that looked like whiteheads. I stopped for a while and then tried it again one or two days and my eyebrow skin went nutso again. This same thing happens to me with Shu Uemura foundation. I love their makeup, but what gives??

I love this brow pencil! It looks so natural, I've had a friend look closely at my face and been unable to tell I was wearing brow pencil. I've had mine for probably 5 years, and it's still probably 3/4 of the original length. Best make up purchase ever.

My only gripe: I wish it was longer wearing. It will have worn off the ends of my eyebrows (I like to extend my brows laterally) by the end of the day, without fail. It's also not at all waterproof.

Oh H9, where have you been all my life?

This is really the only brow pencil you'll ever need. I cringed a bit about paying this much for a brow pencil, but I've had this for a couple months now and I have YET to sharpen it. It is so natural looking and totally not waxy like other pencils I've tried.

The color matches my medium/dark brown hair perfectly and is pretty universally flattering.

Pros:
* time-saver (takes a few seconds just to draw your brows)
* very VERY natural looking brows

Cons:
* needs to be sharpened at the store (but they "eat" up so much of the pencil in the process); or
* needs to be sharpened manually with a blade (messy and time-consuming)
* expensive

After trying to find a more reasonably priced replacement (I tried Prestige Brow Perfection Brow Pencil, Lioele Auto Eyebrow, Milani Brow Fix), I'm afraid nothing comes quite close to this.

For those who say that there's hardly any pigmentation coming out when you use it are not using this pencil correctly at all!

I'll be re-purchasing!

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I've been using this brow pencil for a few years now. I do try using something else every now and then but always find myself reaching for this one. I got mine from Sephora. It's a bit pricey and kinda hurts to make the purchase, but it comes in a pretty long pencil and mine has lasted for a few years now (it's at the halfway point). I like the hard formula and how when applied, it looks way more natural than other pencils that I've tried. My only gripe is the cap doesn't stay on too well. I will find that sometimes the cap comes off while in my makeup bag. The last time it went missing, I couldn't find the cap and so I just took another cap off the nearest NYX lipliner that I had in my stash and put it on this brow pencil, which has stayed on much better. This doesn't take away from the product itself, but just thought it was notable.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

After reading stellar reviews I ordered this pencil off the Shu website. It took about 2 weeks to reach me, and I was excited to try it out, I was sick of dealing with pots and brushes for eyebrow gel and wanted a quick way to shade in my eyebrows. I have decently full eyebrows, but wanted to fill in sparse areas and define them more.

The pencil is a bit longer than your average eyebrow pencil, mine was not sharpened the distinct way that some other reviewers here have mentioned, it came from the Shu manufacturer sharpened like a regular pencil. I read that it works when mixed with the oils in your eyebrow, so I tried to start filling in mine.

I literally had to scrape and scrape for about 5 mins to get any product onto my eyebrows, I had eyebrow hairs I had scraped out falling onto my cheeks, this pencil just would not transfer. After having used it several times, it does get easier to work with, but intitially I was going to give up. The color is a cooler brown, I am asian with dark brown hair, but this pencil does not give me precise lines or the ability to feather in strokes. Altogether unless your brows are the exact shade of brown, you will look like you have powdered in your brows. so if you are going for precise or super natural looking brows, this pencil is probably not it. I guess I don't mind the color, as it is decent, however, it is nothing special, not for the price. At least for me, this is not the type of effect I was hoping for.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My search for the perfect eyebrow pencil is over. If you dislike overly drawn, dark eyebrow makeup and want soft, defined natural eyebrows for asian makeup....THIS it a must have! I have tried virtually every formula there is for eyebrows: gels, wax, pencils, powder and nothing beats Shu Uemura's hard brow pencil

You will have to put a lot of pressure on this pencil to make it really obvious/ harsh. A little goes a long way and although it is pricey, it has been pricier for me to buy random japanese eyebrow pencils that costs $10-$15 at a time which will only last 2 months at the very most.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

HG! Will never be without again...I've spent hundreds of dollars worth of disappointment on brow pencils, powders, gels, you name it. I was using the Anastasia brow palette and it wasn't quite what I wanted but close. The color of this pencil is perfect, just perfect! I am thrilled to have found it. It has been quite a task finding a cool toned brow anything. I am NW15, dark ash blonde/lt ash brown so anything with warm, red tones didn't work for me. Will buy again and again!
Updated-- pencil is still almost full, my skin changed after having a baby, not sure if that's why it began looking warm/red on my or if it was bc it's old?
See other reviews for my best brow routine :)

An excellent brow pencil. The color is ashy enough to work well for most blonds and brunettes. The key is to use very light strokes. The formula is what makes this pencil so great. Its hard to swatch, but when pencil interacts with the oils is your skin it can leave behind a light color. As others have said... the pencil lasts a long time, making it a very good value. Shu Uemura is no longer sold at counters in the US, but can be purchased from their website. I will definitely repurchase.

Popular Brows Products