Shu Uemura H9 Hard Brow Pencil - Seal Brown

Filtered by age: 18 & Under

Hydrogenated castor oil, stearic acid, cera microcristallina / microcrystalline wax, candelilla cera / euphorbia cerifera (candelilla wax), carnauba / copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, rhus succedanea / rhus succendanea fruit wax, hydrogenated coconut oil, hydrogenated palm kernel oil, hydrogenated palm oil [+/- May contain: mica, CI 77492, CI 77491, CI 77499 / iron oxides, CI 77891 / titanium dioxide]

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Worth every penny! I love this! I loved it even more when it was shaped like a naginata blade but there's no Shu Uemura here in Switzerland and I failed so bad at sharping it with a cutter (and succeeded in breaking the hard mine yes screw me). So now it's pointy. But it's still so good though. I just draw my eyebrows differently.

I bought it in Malaysia. For reasons, Shu Uemura attracts me and I love eyebrows. I ended up getting this because I like the concept of a hard pencil for eyebrows. The guy at the counter advised me to get the seal brown colour because it matches my skin tone the best. My hair was just slightly dyed in a washed-off copper brown (you know that old dye colour we keep huh) at the end of the strands but my natural hair growing out is that Asian deep-brown-almost-black. The pencil's got a neutral tone on my skin; it's neither warm nor ashy. It's perfect!

It is not waterproof. The ends of the drawn eyebrows gets less sharp at the end of the day, but well, maybe because of the humid weather and my gross amount of sweat of the summer. It stands better if I powder them after drawing.

It is pricey on the purchase but it lasts very long, so it's relatively expensive. No matter what, I will repurchase this!

Application: Hard Formula is not very pigmented. The colour doesn't show up vividly or intensely. It applies more as a soft wash of colour than a solid line. But that is the basis of its appeal. Because it isn't intensely pigmented, it's incredibly foolproof. It's very difficult to overdo and you will never find yourself looking like you drew your brows in with a black marker. Applied with a light hand, it fills in gaps between brow hairs and shades in the brows seamlessly. Applied with more pressure, it can be used to subtly extend the tail of the eyebrows and create a more defined shape, though I must mention that if you are looking to draw very precise, clean lines, this is not the ideal product for that purpose.

Shade: Varying the intensity of the application changes the resulting colour ever so slightly. Applied with a light hand to shade in the eyebrows, Seal Brown comes across as a medium neutral grey. Applied with a heavier hand, it appears more brown. Seal Brown is a very versatile and universal colour but if I had to be fastidious, I would say that it is not the perfect match for my eyebrows. My eyebrows are a cool grey that lacks any warm undertones. However, Seal Brown, despite being the most neutral brown in the range, ultimately has brown undertones, as its name suggests. I can get away with Seal Brown using very light, shading strokes, but I believe Stone Gray would have been a more flattering and complementary shade for my eyebrows. Sadly, Stone Gray was not available at my counter (it's supposedly not a very popular colour in Australia).

Overall, a very versatile product. But if you are Asian, you might want to reconsider the shade that you purchase. Seal Brown is the best selling shade in Japan. The sales assistants will recommend this shade to most people since, as I said, it is a universal colour for all ethnicities. But interestingly, you may have noticed that very soft warm brown eyebrows are the trend in Japan, even on girls with black hair. Seal Brown 02 and Acorn 06 are perfect for that sort of look. However, in South Korea, thick, black eyebrows are more popular. So the colour you select really depends on your taste more than anything. Personally, I prefer grey/black eyebrows on East Asians because they look more natural. If you do too, then Stone Gray 05 would be good for shading fine, sparse eyebrows. Sound Black 01 would be more suitable for filling gaps in thicker, denser brows (I believe this shade is harder to find). Otherwise, Seal Brown might be a better match if you have more brownish undertones in your hair.

Popular Brows Products