L'Oreal Feria Hair Color in Espresso (Deeply Brown)

L'Oreal Feria Hair Color in Espresso (Deeply Brown)
Feria Hair Color in Espresso (Deeply Brown)Feria Hair Color in Espresso (Deeply Brown)Feria Hair Color in Espresso (Deeply Brown)

3.5

on 5/19/2017 9:57:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I'm shocked that this dye (40, Deeply Brown) gave me hot roots. See pic above. The box is only a shade or two lighter than my natural color...I'm bewildered.

I followed the instructions to a tee. I've never had a dark brown dye like this result in hot roots. What gives?!

Back to L'Oréal Excellence in 5, Medium Brown I go...

on 2/10/2017 2:42:00 PM

I am no stranger to coloring my hair. Sometimes I go to the salon and spring for the good stuff, but I always supplement with box color, also. Sometimes I just use the root touch-up products, and every so often I will go for the all-over boost. I am in my late '40s and have brunette hair that just loves to "pull red". I am not a fan of "pulling red". I'm also maybe 10% gray, mostly in my part and temples. Anyway, I bought a box of Loreal Feria ( "Deeply brown" #40) for the first time ever yesterday when I could not find any "Perfect10" at the store. This morning I was still trying to decide if I was going to use it, or call the salon and go in. I read over the reviews at this site, which were mostly positive for the product. Despite being a little leary of my resistant grays going "hot roots", I decided to go for it and apply the Feria. I am happy to report that I am so happy that I decided to use it and saved my money by not going to the salon. It covered my gray very well, there is absolutely not red anywhere, including my roots. The color is shiny and looks very natural, not "shoe polish" at all. It is basically my natural brown, with a little bit of gold and it is very shiny! I used it right by the book--15 minutes on the gray roots, 10 minutes on the rest. The smell was not bad, and it was easy to apply. I will definitely try this product again. If I even get three weeks out of this, it will money well spent, considering it was less than $10.00
Overall, I would say I am very satisfied with the results and have no regrets using it. I would suggest this product to anyone in this shade if you have dark brown hair you are trying to boost and cover some resistant grays!!

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Alright so back in Oct I added highlights to my dark hair and though I liked the different look, it never felt like me. It made me look tanner which I didn't like cause I'm Latina and we have this already awesome tan year round so I didn't feel comfortable in my own skin. Nonetheless I kept it until today ;)

I kept pulling up side by side pics of me with my orig dark hair and the highlighted hair and just decided I wanted to go back. I've always thought that dark hair is much more elegant, attractive and much more of an attention grabber ;) so I hit up Wally today and picked up this nice shade. Gotta say that I LOVE the results!!

I did however have to send my sis to pick up another bottle because it wasn't enough for my long hair. (A few inches below bra strap)
Idk if iT's my previous highlights that makes it look like such a nice brown with a tint of sparkle ? Or if it's the shimmer highlights like it says in the box? Either way, it's a gorgeous color. Check out my results :

Full Size Image

This last year has been awful to my hair (August 2013 saw it bleached after being dyed with first henna, then black drugstore dye, which turned spots blue/green, so it's been chopped/colored repeatedly close to my natural shade-warm level 4 brown). The 7 or so inches of hair that didn't go through the bleaching process don't hold dye well at all; even when professionally dyed, it pulls lots of red while the ends remain a dark brown. So after dropping another $60 on a salon job that faded after two weeks, I thought I'd test out this. Tons of research and (supposedly) color protecting shampoo/conditioner later, I dyed my hair with this. A strand test showed up fine, and the actual process was as expected-the smell was strong but once I turned the fan on and opened doors/windows, it was fine, and it wasn't unusually messy. Per the instructions, I rinsed out all the dye, squeezed out the excess water, and just conditioned with the included shampoo.

After allowing to air dry then curling (with plenty of heat protectant) my hair was soft and shiny. I thought I was all set. But now, (exactly two weeks later), the color has faded from everywhere but the ends. I will say that the exact same happened when I had my hair professionally done, so I'm assuming it has more to do with my hair than with the dye used because besides the fast color fade (which I actually saw starting the first time I washed my hair after dyeing, about two days later) this is a great product. I definitely saw a variety of tones that played up existing highlights and the conditioner made my hair feel great (although can cause build up very quickly, so I use a clarifying treatment before using the conditioner). :My personal experience definitely impacted this review, but overall, I'd recommend it.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

WORST HAIR DYE EVER! I've also never written a review on makeup alley, so you know this is serious. So I'm 22 and I've been dying my hair since I was 15. Every hair color product I've used over the last seven years has always worked perfectly. I bought this hair dye because my natural hair color is espresso, but I have some light brown streaks in my hair from past coloring that I wanted to get rid of. I wanted my hair one color. So I went to Wal-Mart last night, and thought, hey ferias box is really pretty, let's try something new! When I got home, I dyed my hair, rinsed it out, let it air dry and WTF..... my light brown streaks ARE STILL THERE :| UGH!!!!! What really irritated me was that I recently cut off seven or so inches off of past colored hair, and I was really trying to stay away from coloring because of how damaging it can be. So if I was going to dye my hair, it had to be a legitimate reason. So I just damaged my hair for nothing. IT IS ALSO SO MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE THAN OTHER BRANDS THAT I've been using for YEARS that I should've just stuck with. I have probably dyed my hair nearly thirty times. Whether it was over colored hair or not, I have ALWAYS received the results I wanted. So disappointed. Now I have to spend MORE money and damage my hair even further :/ I am just baffled that my light brown streaks STAYED THE SAME COLOR?!?!? I'm just going to stick with what I normally use which is Revlon and some other brand I forget the name.

on 8/16/2014 5:16:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

A really nice haircolor. The color is truly espresso, not at all brassy and covers all your gray. The smell is not so great but not horrible either.

If you want that lustrous, deep, dark brown hair then this is a good formula to try.

I have naturally dark brown hair with warm tint to it. I started going grey in high school. I used Loreal Superior Preference Dark Soft Mahogany Brown. Though I love the color and I got lots of compliments. It is a bit darker than my natural color and I wanted to go. 2 years ago, I got a make over and went red. I loved it, too. But, I got bored and tired of having to refresh it every couple of weeks. I asked my stylist for recommendations on at home color and she suggested a natural shade. I looked in the Loreal Preference line because as I said, I have a little grey. Well, all the colors looked too dark or too light. So, I looked online for reviews on good colors that also cover grey and Loreal Feria Espresso had rave reviews and everything I was looking for. I tried it. I LOVE IT!! It's the first time I've ever gotten the same results as the box! It looks almost exactly like my natural color, too!! It covered the grey pretty well even though Feria is not intended to cover grey, this shade does. The after conditioner is wonderful. It's a bit messy so make sure you have everything covered and some color remover pads for your skin. Other than that, this shade is wonderful. It's not too dark that it's black but it's not too light that the red shows through a lot. It's a very nice chocolate brown shade with definition.
*UPDATE* It's been about 3 weeks since I colored with this color. I still really like it. It's way more brunette than red still... It has faded slightly. Before, it looked like a dark chocolate color, now it's more of a milk chocolate color. Think of espresso with a shot of milk. Still like it, though. I am about 90% sure I will use this color again in a few weeks when it comes time to refreshen.

on 7/6/2013 6:15:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I have to admit I read the reviews and was totally frightened to try this product. However, I had already bought the boxes and so I took a chance. My hair was highlighted with light brown streaks in medium brown hair. The end result is beautiful. My highlights are covered and it got the little bit of grey hair I had on my roots. I started putting the hair dye on my mid section down and put my roots last. Maybe that's why I didn't end up with "hot roots." My hair feels healthier than it did before I even dyed it. I am in love with the color, it is not too dark and it does have highlights through out. This is my forever dye to go to. I will UPDATE if results change dramatically. Happy Hair Dyeing!

on 1/1/2013 2:24:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

Horrible!!! I tried this even after reading other reviewer's "hot roots" comment, something I was really afraid of getting. I have dark brown hair with probably 50% gray mixed in. Been coloring since early 20s (I'm 47). I never imaging the lovely rich dark brown color on the box would turn my roots orange!!! It did. I had to recolor with clairol to fix my roots.
This product may work well on someone with little or no gray. Beware if you have gray. What a mess.

on 11/10/2012 10:42:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I used this product today. It didn't wreck and ravage my hair, fortunately. But, I developed hot roots. I have been using Ion Colors in lt, med, and dark brown. The colors are so true and beautiful in the Ion Line and I never have this problem. But, back to Feria. I decided to use this as it was at a special price. Well, the color on the length is ok, but, I hate the orangery roots. Will not purchase again.