Smashbox Sheer Focus Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Smashbox Sheer Focus Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15
Sheer Focus Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15

3.9

Water, Phenyl Trimethicone, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Butylene Glycol, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Acrylates Copolymer, Caprylyl Glycol, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/ Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate Copolymer, Polysorbate 60, Squalane, Honey, Pectin, Lecithin, C20-22 Alcohols, C20-22 Alkyl Phosphate, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Polysilicone-11, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone, Oligopeptide-10, Silica, Betaine, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Ethoxydiglycol, Xanthan Gum, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Propylene Glycol Stearate, Triethanolamine, Triethoxy Caprylylsilane, Polysorbate 20, Sorbitan Laurate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol Laurate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Tetrasodium EDTA. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides. ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: 7.0% Octinoxate (2-Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate), 2.9% Zinc Oxide

After trying a plethora of foundations to cover up my uneven, acne-prone skin, this is the product I've felt most comfortable using for everyday wear. Goes on smooth and blends well with a moisturizer or over primer; with a brush or simply with fingers. I like that it's oil-free and has SPF (although it's relatively low). Still, it *is* sheer, and on the days my skin is extra dull or my hyper-pigmentation is more pronounced -- concealer is a must. My biggest complaint about an otherwise great product is that it is not friendly to those with oily skin. I've found that using a mattifying primer and/or a finishing powder, such as the MUFE Microfinish powder, contributes greatly to a more matte and even finish. For those who are blessed with spot-free skin, this is a great product for evening out skin-tone, and providing a layer of sun-protection without parabens and fragrance.

FEB 10/14: One of the SA's at my Shoppers told me that this product has been discontinued. Sad. However, as I've used this product for the past 5 years, this marketing decision gives me incentive to explore other products. If you love this TM and want something comparable to it, try the ones by Tarte, which to my knowledge, does not test on animals and is not owned by a big parent company.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

There are other, better tinted moisturizers. I hate how smashbox has too much orange in their skin shades. Even the lightest shade made me look like an oompah loompah. I like the consistency and the color doesn't sheer out as quickly as others, but I'm not impressed.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Ok product. But for my NC 40 skin I had to mix the light and the medium shade together to get what I wanted. Such a waste of money. Will not buy again

on 4/7/2012 4:14:00 AM

I never used to like tinted moisturizers because until recently I've had pretty problematic skin -- combination with a few breakouts a month. Due to blemishes and slight scarring, I always preferred high coverage foundations. In the past few months, though, I've found the best skincare routine for my face and since my skin is significantly clearer, I began trying out more tinted moisturizers. I had high hopes for this one, but I really just don't like it. Thankfully, this was a gift, because I'd be kicking myself if I purchased this for $30.
I liked that it had SPF, and applying this feels really nice. It glides on smoothly and evenly and makes my face super soft, just like a moisturizer. But that's my whole issue with this...it's pretty much nothing but a moisturizer. This gives absolutely no coverage. I wasn't expecting much, but a tinted moisturizer should have SOME color to it. Once it set, it still gave no coverage, but it did give my face a nice, dewy glow. Unfortunately, I had to cover up that glow with some powder to make my face look more finished. I've tried applying more of this, applying it in layers, but it just never shows up. I couldn't tell you if this lasted all day, because there's no color to go by, but this didn't irritate my skin at all.
I know a lot of people that will wear nothing but face primer on their minimal makeup days. I don't personally do this, but it makes your face smoother and gives a decent glow. That's basically what this product does. So why pay $30 when you can just wear a primer you already have out for the same effect?
I've tried and tried to make this work, but it just doesn't. I think one positive is that the shades would be very forgiving, since there's really no color. I guess I'll wear this on days when I feel like playing with my makeup but I'm not actually going anywhere because I hate to waste this. There are much better tinted moisturizers out there that don't cost nearly as much as this. Don't recommend.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I really like this tinted moisturizer. Only for the fall/winter though only because even though I have oily skin, the cold air and wind dries my face up. If you have OILY SKIN, do NOT use this for the summer. Your face will get so greasy! It doesn't really moisturize that much, but I like how it goes on my face. Feels like really nice, doesn't break me out, and covers lightly! It is a light sheer coverage. I set it with my Philosophy supernatural foundation, which btw is great for summer and winter(IMO). It doesn't smell that bad either. Only thing I didn't like was how little is given for $30. Name brand.. y'know. Overall, it covers nicely for light scars and doesn't look cakey.

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I do sit in the sun, however use Alba Botanicals SPF #30 (Per Paula Begouns recommendation) and have just a touch of color. My face color was uneven and I have been on the search for a liquid or gel bronzer since I do not want to use powder in the summer. Went to ULTA and WOW...evened out the skin tone and looks as if I sat in the sun for hours....Love, love, love this and it's SPF15 as a bonus!

Natural looking, no scent and my face is not only smooth and soft there is a glow (not a shimmer) to my skin.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I love this stuff! It's a great tinted moisturizer, I have it in both fair and luminous. I use this everyday, on days that i want more coverage I use it under my bare minerals for a flawless look. This doesn't turn orange as the day goes on, and it goes on nice and sheer.

on 5/11/2011 9:28:00 AM

For years I've been battling against my spots, to no success really :(
I wore foundation everyday until a year ago when I got fed up with never feeilng fully content with the foundations I used. I never managed to find the perfect shade and formula in the same product so I decided to quit using foundation. I also never liked that I could feel the foundation on my skin, not comfortable at all!!

Throughout my teenage years I've used several Clinique foundations, Bobbi Brown, Isadora, DIOR, Chanel, Benefit, Laura Mercier, Clarins etc. Also, whenever an SA tries a foundation on me, I feel that they use a foundation that is too dark and then add bronzer to the neck to even out the look The point is, why can't the just give me the correct shade and stop fiddling around trying to persuade me to buy the bronzer as well.....Sneaky SA:s ;P

So anyhow I tried this in 'fair' on my skin the other day and I got really excited. I range from nc20-30 throughout a year and 'fair' has a neutral undertone. At first I didn't notice any difference in the appearance of my skin but then I remembered I had an appointment at my local sun lounge and rushed off. 30 minutes later I left the sunlounge and while walking past a restaurant with a large front window I saw my own reflection. I saw that my face looked a lot more even-toned and polished and surprisingly not greasy even after 30 ''sizzling'' minutes at the sun lounge. Outside the sun was shining, I believe it was 27 degrees Celsius, sorry I am not good at Fahrenheit :(

I touched my cheek and I didn't feel that I was wearing foundation to my relief. The best part with TMs is that it doesn't matter if you choose a shade that is a little too light or dark 'cause the colour pay-off is a lot more sheer, naturally, but I must say that 'fair' would suit me better come Winter as it's for everybody with nc20-25. Next time I'll have a go at 'light' or perhaps 'medium' depending on the undertone. I must add that TMs don't cover up spots, which I knew at the time and I accept that. I rely on my MAC pro longwear concealer to do the concealing and my TM to make my skin look natural but better :)

To conclude I am 17 with teenage spots, I have an oily t-zone both winter and summer and my cheeks are more comfortable in the summer and dry in the winter. Winter is the worst time of the year for my skin 'cause then I have flaky skin all over if I miss out on moisturiser, then I have my jolly old spots and an oily T-zone all at the same time. Total kerfuffle!!

Smashbox Sheer Focus TM gets 5 lippies from me because it's a great TM, it stays on all day even efter a hot day and a visit to the sun lounge and 'cause it gives my face a subtle glow. Top notch!!

on 2/15/2011 5:30:00 PM

I was excited to find this tinted moisturizer, as I can rarely find one pale enough to match me. I purchased it in Fair. It blends in well, doesn't turn orange, and doesn't break me out. The bad side is that it turns my usually super dry skin into an oily mess until I apply powder on top. The other thing I dislike is how it separates- the oil comes out first when you squeeze it unless you shake it up a bit first.

on 11/23/2010 6:39:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I have this in the luminous, oil free, spf 15. It is lovely. I have dry skin but this is just right and gives me a luminous glow, not too frosty or shiny looking. Most foundations look thick and heavy on me, tinted moisturizers are either greasy or chalky looking. This one is perfect. It feels cool on the skin and great staying power.