Smashbox Sheer Focus Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15

Filtered by hair type : Other
Smashbox Sheer Focus Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15
Sheer Focus Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15

3.5

Water, Phenyl Trimethicone, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Butylene Glycol, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Acrylates Copolymer, Caprylyl Glycol, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/ Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate Copolymer, Polysorbate 60, Squalane, Honey, Pectin, Lecithin, C20-22 Alcohols, C20-22 Alkyl Phosphate, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Polysilicone-11, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone, Oligopeptide-10, Silica, Betaine, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Ethoxydiglycol, Xanthan Gum, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Propylene Glycol Stearate, Triethanolamine, Triethoxy Caprylylsilane, Polysorbate 20, Sorbitan Laurate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol Laurate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Tetrasodium EDTA. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides. ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: 7.0% Octinoxate (2-Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate), 2.9% Zinc Oxide

on 8/26/2013 1:25:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I've been using this TM faithfully for probably about a year. I love how sheer it is, but it still gives great coverage. Very blendable, a little goes a long way for me. I do have severely oily skin though, so priming my skin before and setting my face after is a MUST. I use my MAC Pressed Blot Powder, along with my Urban Decay De-Slick, and I'm set for the day. To keep my skin extra matte, I sometimes use Milk Of Magnesia. I also use concealer to get those spots that the TM can't cover as well as i would like. I'll definitely admit that it is a bit pricey but until I find something to replace it, I'll continue using it. I use the DARK shade & it matches my skin PERFECTLY.

(I also believe they stopped making this for some odd reason, so I will continue to order it online until they run out I guess. They replaced it with a BB Cream but they don't even have it in my color and I heard it sucks "/.)

This product is just bad news for anyone who has oily skin in need of coverage for acne/marks. I am definitely someone who leans towards more of a dewy look for makeup, which is why my interest was struck by this, however, it does not sink in or look like real skin at all. Instead it just sits on top like tinted grease and as a result it provides no coverage. I originally got drawn to this over other foundations because I am allergic/reactive to titanium dioxide so the spf being octoxinate (sp?) and zinc oxide drew me in bc those are A-OK with my skin. However it just useless and I ended up returning it after one trial, which sucks. Oh well, just hope they stop formulatings with TiO for us sensitive people (it gives me a consistent pimply rash whenever I use makeup with it).

I am not sure what to think about this product. I woke up last Tuesday, thought "I'll go to Sephora and look at makeup" and got up and brushed my teeth and put on some clothes and drove to Sephora, stopping for gas along the way. It was a sunny day, a little hot but not too bad, and my skin had a "dewy" look to it already due to humidity. The freeway looked a little backed up so I took the long way to get there, which possibly added more of a dewy glow since it took so long and I was a little hot in the car.

Once arriving at Sephora, I asked an SA who was really nice and about 30 years old with red hair for samples of tinted moisturizers. I got one from Laura Mercier, one from Urban Decay, one from Stila, one from Clinique, one from Lancome, one from Josie Maran, one from Boscia, one from Sephora Brand, one from Philosophy, one from Tarte, one from DuWop, one from Clarins and this one from Smashbox. There was one other one too but I forgot it. When I remember, I will update.

The one from Smashbox is kinda sheer. Not super-sheer, but I would have to say pretty sheer. It has some light-reflecting properties to it that some might think looks too shiny. I don't really think it is too shiny, but I have to say it is a little bit shiny. There is an SPF in it of 15. I like an SPF, I guess a 15 is okay, but of course a higher one is better. But then I think maybe I don't really need a higher one, since I'm not out in the sun all that often. The last time I was really out in the sun long-term it was on a tropical vacation. I don't know when I'll be on a tropical vacation again so I don't want to worry too much about SPF I guess. If you have any good ideas for my next vacation please send me a message.

I liked the feeling of this going on, it's nice and smooth. It has almost a watery gel consistency. But not toooooo watery. Some people like creamier textures but I also sometimes like just a gel feeling to makeup. The gel makes it have some staying power. I guess it stayed on okay for about 7 hours or so I didn't really keep track because I had a doctor's appointment at 2, and also had to do some grocery shopping. I bought bread there because I was out of it. Also I bought milk.

I didn't break out bad from this TM, but it's hard to really say because I was close to my period the day I started using it. So I did get one or two small zits, but I'm not sure it was the TM. My periods lately have been kind of irregular. I'm not sure how this should affect my choice of a good TM but I am working on it.

I applied this TM with a brush, but you could probably use your hands or a sponge or some other kind of makeup applicator. I used about a nickel-sized amount and I would say it covered pretty well. You may need more than that if you have a big face, or less if you have a really small one. I also used some concealer, some powder and then a face mist to set it all. After that, I went and did some laundry consisting mostly of darks and brights. I used Tide followed with a lavender-scented fabric softener. Two loads took about an hour and a half. I was wearing the TM the whole time.

That night I almost forgot to take the TM off. I'm not sure how my skin would have reacted if I'd slept in it, but no worries because I removed it with a foaming cleanser and a washcloth. I don't use toner so I can't tell you if the cotton ball would have been clean or not. But chances are, it probably would have. I followed the cleanser with a little bit of oil-free lotion and went to bed, where I slept for around 8 hours. I don't remember what dreams I had, if any. But they were probably really, really really long dreams about makeup. They were probably dreams that went on and on and on for what seems like almost forever about makeup.

THIS REVIEW IS DEDICATED to all the people who are writing entire novels to review a product. Please for the love of all that's holy, please please learn to EDIT. :)

on 3/18/2012 6:45:00 PM

This is a wonderful TM!!! I think this will work great for all skin types just beware if u have oily skin like me you will have to set it and touch up if u want a matte or semi matte look. One of my favorite things about this product is the finish its the perfect glow that I have always searched for. Perfect for everyday and another plus side it doesn't break out my skin which is super sensitive especially to silicones ! Def HG!

I decided to re-write my review of this since I have now been using it for two years. I am on my third bottle of it. This is my HG product. I use it alone and with powder depending on my skin. I recently took a break and was using a Korean BB cream instead. I started breaking out a bit, but figured it was just due to hormones or the change in weather. I still had a fair bit of this left, so put it on instead of the BB cream a few days ago. My skin cleared up overnight and became more dewy. My skin was becoming dry and flaky. This is so soothing. I have oily, acne prone skin and this is the best thing I have ever put on my face! It is important to give the bottle a shake before you put it on. I then put Korrres MMU or Halo on top. Is my skin flawless? No! But it looks pretty darn good! This gives a subtle healthy glow. Great product. I hope they never discontinue it! A few months ago, I had a make over done. I had an allergic reaction to the cleanser and the SA put this on to sooth my skin. It calmed right away. I really love Smashbox. You can use this without a primer. It is a great product.

on 1/24/2012 12:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Im really torn about this tinted moisturizer. It hasn't made my acne prone skin break out at all and covers up redness quite but it made my face HORRIBLY oily. Within 10 minutes of putting it on, you could probably fry an egg on my face. My face is oily to begin with and this just made it that much worse. I hate that it does that, but I think it would be better for normal to dry skin.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Overpriced garbage. Salespeople have a way of pushing (read: lying about) certain products... not that I am averse to that, it is their job. But it is myself I am disappointed in. Surely I would have had enough common sense to resist their gift of gab and tempting promises! Yet I bought this. This was a while back, perhaps two years. Hated it instantly. Hate it yet.
It never works. It has a horrible texture, the finish, contrary to the claims, is nowhere near natural, it is greasy, separates into weird patches on your face over the course of the day, oxidizes slightly...and...worst yet: causal agent of horrific, catastrophic breakouts. I am blaming this alone, because I've had it for TWO friggin years... whenever I use this... either that very day, or the next, I break out terribly. It punishes the complexion.
When it's on, it looks awful, I look better with no makeup. When it's off, I realize I have fresh pimples directly due to this.

on 3/15/2011 12:50:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I had this in Light and used it for several months. Provides great coverage for a TM. It has a yellow tint, but I was OK with this during the summer months (I also have yellow undertones). While I could live with the color, it felt greasy and cakey; during hot weather, it felt like it "melted" on my face. There are better TMs out there.

on 2/16/2011 4:27:00 PM

I have really difficult skin. It still breaks out and is oily. I find a lot of make up looks weird at the end of the day or is cakey. I have been using this in Luminous for several months along with mmu and it is great. If I don't use it, I find my skin is really oily so it does control oil quite well! I am going to buy the Light next time to get more coverage. Some people say it is oily, but I give it a good shake before I put it on and it is really nice. I love the feel of it. I am hoping I can use the light no its own and will update. By they way, I bought this in early November and still have tons left.

This product is the best tinted moisturizer I've tried. It provides just enough coverage without looking valet or bad or anything. That being said I don't think I would buy this again because it made me break out, not sure what ingredient it was that caused the breakouts but it was big cystic acne that I never get so it's dissapointing bur true.