Smashbox Sheer Focus Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive
Smashbox Sheer Focus Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15
Sheer Focus Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15

Water, Phenyl Trimethicone, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Butylene Glycol, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Acrylates Copolymer, Caprylyl Glycol, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/ Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate Copolymer, Polysorbate 60, Squalane, Honey, Pectin, Lecithin, C20-22 Alcohols, C20-22 Alkyl Phosphate, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Polysilicone-11, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone, Oligopeptide-10, Silica, Betaine, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Ethoxydiglycol, Xanthan Gum, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Propylene Glycol Stearate, Triethanolamine, Triethoxy Caprylylsilane, Polysorbate 20, Sorbitan Laurate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol Laurate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Tetrasodium EDTA. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides. ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: 7.0% Octinoxate (2-Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate), 2.9% Zinc Oxide

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Other

Just not that great - or at least for me. I bought this Smashbox product in luminous, and have just finished the tube, and I do not plan on picking this up ever again. For my fair, neutral-toned skin, I felt this tinted moisturizer has too much of a yellow undertone to it, and made me look a shade of orange in some areas of my face... Which leads me to another problem, I didn't find this to apply very evenly. On my T-Zone it often looked like I had applied too much, and on my cheeks it was spotty. Definitely was too oily, and I believe it lead to some breakouts on my skin. I tried to like it but I just can't. Looks like I'm on the hunt for a better tinted moisturizer for me.

Pros: Glides over pores, SPF bonus, sheer but even coverage, smooth and soft texture, nice packaging, good value, light as air not clogged feeling with dewy glow

Cons: It caused me to breakout slightly and I have normal/combination skin fair skin, *main reason: it is not at all long lasting! Especially in the summer humidity it literally melts and gets blotchy in a matter of hours. I think it is very similar to Mac's Face and Body foundation and may be better in the winter months for me.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Overpriced garbage. Salespeople have a way of pushing (read: lying about) certain products... not that I am averse to that, it is their job. But it is myself I am disappointed in. Surely I would have had enough common sense to resist their gift of gab and tempting promises! Yet I bought this. This was a while back, perhaps two years. Hated it instantly. Hate it yet.
It never works. It has a horrible texture, the finish, contrary to the claims, is nowhere near natural, it is greasy, separates into weird patches on your face over the course of the day, oxidizes slightly...and...worst yet: causal agent of horrific, catastrophic breakouts. I am blaming this alone, because I've had it for TWO friggin years... whenever I use this... either that very day, or the next, I break out terribly. It punishes the complexion.
When it's on, it looks awful, I look better with no makeup. When it's off, I realize I have fresh pimples directly due to this.

on 11/23/2010 6:39:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I have this in the luminous, oil free, spf 15. It is lovely. I have dry skin but this is just right and gives me a luminous glow, not too frosty or shiny looking. Most foundations look thick and heavy on me, tinted moisturizers are either greasy or chalky looking. This one is perfect. It feels cool on the skin and great staying power.

on 8/29/2010 10:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I received this as a 100 point perk at Sephora (the mother ship). The shade I received was light.

APPLICATION/FEEL OF PRODCUT:

The first time I applied it to clean skin, no primer, using my fingers. I felt a slight burning sensation in certain parts of my face. Tingling as well. It was odd, but not uncomfortable. There was not odd odor, really no smell at all that I could detect. The product itself is thick and creamy and spreads easily, giving thin to medium coverage. I find it buildable. The color match for my skin is almost exact (light in Smashbox/NW25 in MAC). I also tried it over primer the next day and got the same tingly reaction, yet less severe. I set the tm each time with Guerlain meteorites Teint Rose 01. and followed with my regular blush/eyeshadow/masacara etc. routine. This held up even better than MAC tm in hot, humid southern temperatures.

REMOVAL OF PRODUCT

At the end of the day, some of the mu had been patted away with sweat, but I still had a quite a bit to wash off with the makuep remover cloth before cleaning my skin. It has a much more waxy? emulsified? oily? I'm not sure what the word is...the consistency is like Revlon Photoready, to put it succinctly. The same water-resistant qualities as PR, and the same need for an actual mu remover to be used to take it off prior to cleansing the skin. Using a regular mu remover cloth does the job easily, and following up with plain facial cleansing cloths is sufficient to clean the skin.

OVERALL IMPRESSION

It's a good product with great lasting power, plus it has spf, which I'm sure accounts for the initial tingling/burning feelings. Used over a primer, these side effects are markedly decreased. It is buildable for more coverage if you want it, and it has great staying power, especially if set with a powder. I did break out in 2 small zits after using this product, however, my trial run of the product happened to coincide with PMS and a trip to the deeper south where it rained the entire time, so I strongly suspect it was the combination of those factors, not the product, that gave me the zits. My very sensitive skin did not have a sensitivity reaction to this product, which speaks volumes for me.

May repurchase. Not quite certain yet, as it is quite expensive at $30USD for 1.7 oz. of product. I am on a hunt for my ideal foundation, and while this is a nice product that works the way I want it to work, I am not quite sure it is worth the price yet. Will continue to research other products. Nice product, though. Definitely try it out if you get the chance.

on 8/4/2010 4:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The color that I used is Light but it is still too dark. The coverage is better than most tinted moisturizer out there. But I found its quite greasy although it is oil-free. I look like a greasy ball when I put this on. I have combination to dry and acne prone skin, I still find this too rich for my skin. Sorry, this is not for me.

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure

I love this stuff... Looks great on my skin and is much better than my previous tinted moisturizer.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Despite being a makeup artist/occasional-model-who-grills-makeup-artists-for-secrets, I never thought I would apply the term 'holy grail' to a foundation product. Experimenting with products is a terrifying ordeal; my skin is incredibly finicky -- it even has the nerve to break out when I use Clinique's Clarifying Makeup. (Somebody explain THAT one to me.) The Smashbox tinted moisturiser is a godsend. I schmear it on in lieu of regular moisturiser and have even, natural, glowing skin. Top it off with another schmear of the Smashbox Halo powder, and I only need concealer if I'm in a photoshoot. (SCORE!)

Best of all: my skin is remarkably better. By 'remarkably better,' I mean it isn't breaking out. At all. And I've SLEPT in the stuff on multiple occasions, albeit unintentionally. (Chianti FTW.)

In short: Buy this, ladies. You will not be disappointed. It works beautifully alone, or under MMU if additional coverage is desired.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I really like this product. It gives very natural looking, slightly dewy coverage that evens out the complexion without making it look like I am wearing makeup. My skin likes it also, it feels fabulous going on, silky. It doesn't cause any break outs or make me look flakey. The universal color is a good match for my skintone without looking too orange or streaky. It doesn't last as long as I'd like it too, but really nothing does. I use it over the Photofinish primer to extend the longevity. I have not tried layering it over some milk of mag in the t-zone, so that may help it last longer in my grease zone. Combo with the primer, it really minimizes the pores and redness (rosacea) without looking heavily made up. I would not say it looks like 2nd skin, but it is very good. I like it as well as the LM, maybe better since it feels less greasy and dries slower, making it easier to blend. (I like using it with the SK Purple Peep sponge)

PROS: creamy, blendable, non-streaking, natural appearing, adequate but light coverage, doesn't irritate or break out the skin, easy to remove, moisturizing, minimizes pores

CONS: doesn't last long, squeeze tube wastes product (I'd prefer a pump), can't individualize the color for darker complexions.

I still give it a 5 because I think it is the best tinted moisturizer out there for the money and I will happily keep buying it. It isn't cheap, but it isn't expensive either.

on 6/22/2009 5:58:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

**Okay, so I have to update (8/23/09) my review. For some reason, my skin has decided to hate this tinted moisturizer. I suspect that this has something to do with the chemical sunscreens. I've had to stop using it and I gave it to a friend. However, if your skin is not overly sensitive (which mine is), you should have no trouble and my original opinion still applies.**

This stuff rocks! I was skeptical at first, since hardly anything ever matches my skin properly, but it turned out that Fair is a decent match for now (spring and summer). It's sheer but gives a little bit of a glow to my face. I think overall I prefer Benefit's You Rebel Light- but Smashbox is nice. I'll keep it until the tube runs out, barring any major upheavals. The finish is slightly matte but not at all chalky, and I've found that it lasts throughout the day, even in the Los Angeles heat. Easily one of the best TM's I've ever tried, better than Laura Mercier and Stila, both of which I hated.

Oh, the low SPF is not an issue, since I wear extra SPF underneath anyway!