Smashbox Sheer Focus Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15

Smashbox Sheer Focus Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15
Sheer Focus Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15

3.8

Water, Phenyl Trimethicone, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Butylene Glycol, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Acrylates Copolymer, Caprylyl Glycol, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/ Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate Copolymer, Polysorbate 60, Squalane, Honey, Pectin, Lecithin, C20-22 Alcohols, C20-22 Alkyl Phosphate, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Polysilicone-11, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone, Oligopeptide-10, Silica, Betaine, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Ethoxydiglycol, Xanthan Gum, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Propylene Glycol Stearate, Triethanolamine, Triethoxy Caprylylsilane, Polysorbate 20, Sorbitan Laurate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol Laurate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Tetrasodium EDTA. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides. ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: 7.0% Octinoxate (2-Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate), 2.9% Zinc Oxide

About me: I'm 53, MAC NC 25-30, combo skin, some ruddiness that needs coverage, otherwise pretty good skin. I purchased the product in shade "Light."

I've tried for years to love Laura Mercier's TM's (both with and without oil) but I never got great results. I loved the *idea* of TM's, but the reality never met my expectations. The LM usually seems streaky to apply and pooled in my somewhat generous pores.

Enter the new Smashbox Sheer Focus. I applied it for the first time yesterday afternoon. I was pleased with the ease of application. The color seemed very yellow and somewhat light in the tube, but it blended beautifully into my skin, leaving it looking even-toned and matte, but not mask-of-death matte. A bit soft-focus, if you will.

I decided to put the product to the test immediately and suited up for my most difficult, sweaty workout. One hour later the skin still looked great, so I hopped into the pool for a face-above-the-water swim. This was the maximum humidity test, as it was 95 degrees and extremely humid. Sheer Focus stood up to the heat, humidity, and occasional splash. I removed the TM at bedtime (11:00 p.m.) and it still looked good.

Would I repurchase? I already have. I went online last night and ordered another tube. I don't want to be without this stuff ever again, although I'll reconsider if I develop any breakouts or my face falls off. :)

Here are the ingredients:
Active: 7.0% Octinoxate, 2.9% Zinc Oxide
Other: Water, Phenyl Trimethicone, Hydrogenated Prlyisobutene, Butylene Glycol, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Acrylates Copolymer, Capylyl Glycol, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Phosphate, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Polysilicone-11, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone, Oligopeptide-10, Silica, Betraine, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Ethoxdiglycol, Xanthan Gum, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Propylene Glycol Stearate, Thiethanolamine, Thiethoxy Caprylsilane, Polysorbate 20, Sorbitan Laurate, Tecopheryl Acetate, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol Laurate, Dodium Dehydroacetate, Tetrasodium EDTA. May contain: Titanium Dixoide (cI 77891), Iron Oxides (ci 77491,ci77492, ci77499)

Whew! I'm not sure if the ingredients are helpful or not, but even given its list of noxious-sounding chemicals, this product rocks. You probably won't like this if you need major coverage, but if you have relatively good skin that needs some evening out and a bit of "perfecting" this could be just what you've been looking for.

$30 for 1.7 oz.

I am not sure what to think about this product. I woke up last Tuesday, thought "I'll go to Sephora and look at makeup" and got up and brushed my teeth and put on some clothes and drove to Sephora, stopping for gas along the way. It was a sunny day, a little hot but not too bad, and my skin had a "dewy" look to it already due to humidity. The freeway looked a little backed up so I took the long way to get there, which possibly added more of a dewy glow since it took so long and I was a little hot in the car.

Once arriving at Sephora, I asked an SA who was really nice and about 30 years old with red hair for samples of tinted moisturizers. I got one from Laura Mercier, one from Urban Decay, one from Stila, one from Clinique, one from Lancome, one from Josie Maran, one from Boscia, one from Sephora Brand, one from Philosophy, one from Tarte, one from DuWop, one from Clarins and this one from Smashbox. There was one other one too but I forgot it. When I remember, I will update.

The one from Smashbox is kinda sheer. Not super-sheer, but I would have to say pretty sheer. It has some light-reflecting properties to it that some might think looks too shiny. I don't really think it is too shiny, but I have to say it is a little bit shiny. There is an SPF in it of 15. I like an SPF, I guess a 15 is okay, but of course a higher one is better. But then I think maybe I don't really need a higher one, since I'm not out in the sun all that often. The last time I was really out in the sun long-term it was on a tropical vacation. I don't know when I'll be on a tropical vacation again so I don't want to worry too much about SPF I guess. If you have any good ideas for my next vacation please send me a message.

I liked the feeling of this going on, it's nice and smooth. It has almost a watery gel consistency. But not toooooo watery. Some people like creamier textures but I also sometimes like just a gel feeling to makeup. The gel makes it have some staying power. I guess it stayed on okay for about 7 hours or so I didn't really keep track because I had a doctor's appointment at 2, and also had to do some grocery shopping. I bought bread there because I was out of it. Also I bought milk.

I didn't break out bad from this TM, but it's hard to really say because I was close to my period the day I started using it. So I did get one or two small zits, but I'm not sure it was the TM. My periods lately have been kind of irregular. I'm not sure how this should affect my choice of a good TM but I am working on it.

I applied this TM with a brush, but you could probably use your hands or a sponge or some other kind of makeup applicator. I used about a nickel-sized amount and I would say it covered pretty well. You may need more than that if you have a big face, or less if you have a really small one. I also used some concealer, some powder and then a face mist to set it all. After that, I went and did some laundry consisting mostly of darks and brights. I used Tide followed with a lavender-scented fabric softener. Two loads took about an hour and a half. I was wearing the TM the whole time.

That night I almost forgot to take the TM off. I'm not sure how my skin would have reacted if I'd slept in it, but no worries because I removed it with a foaming cleanser and a washcloth. I don't use toner so I can't tell you if the cotton ball would have been clean or not. But chances are, it probably would have. I followed the cleanser with a little bit of oil-free lotion and went to bed, where I slept for around 8 hours. I don't remember what dreams I had, if any. But they were probably really, really really long dreams about makeup. They were probably dreams that went on and on and on for what seems like almost forever about makeup.

THIS REVIEW IS DEDICATED to all the people who are writing entire novels to review a product. Please for the love of all that's holy, please please learn to EDIT. :)

on 4/9/2008 3:43:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I got a sample of Fair at Nordsdtrom (full tube is $30 for 1.7 oz). (For reference, I usually wear BB's TM in Light.) This is a good color match for me. Goes on very smoothly, light coverage (more than BB). By later in the day, I do not have any shine ("glow"?) like I do with BB.

This layered easily with a bit of minerals over it too. I will consider buying this as a cheaper alternative to BB.

Sadly, though the sunscreen is stable, it does not offer good UVA protection.

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: 7.0% Octinoxate (2-Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate), 2.9% Zinc Oxide.

OTHER INGREDIENTS: Water (Aqua), Phenyl Trimethicone, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Butylene Glycol, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Acrylates Copolymer, Caprylyl Glycol, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/ Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate Copolymer, Polysorbate 60, Squalane, Honey (Mel), Pectin, Lecithin, C20-22 Alcohols, C20-22 Alkyl Phosphate, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Polysilicone-11, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone, Oligopeptide-10, Silica, Betaine, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Ethoxydiglycol, Xanthan Gum, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Propylene Glycol Stearate, Triethanolamine, Triethoxy Caprylylsilane, Polysorbate 20, Sorbitan Laurate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol Laurate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Tetrasodium EDTA. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

on 1/10/2010 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This is what Laura Mercier wishes it was, but isnt. I bought this a while ago and forgot about it. Pulled it out again and remembered how much I liked it. Its not a full coverage, but thats not the point with tinted moisturizer. Its so blendable when it goes on. My skin is so dry I almost always have problems with foundations going on easily but this goes right on quickly, blends well, and is not totally matte, (which I hate). I dont have to spend alot of time working with it to get it right. Great tinted moisturiizer. But if you are looking for something with more cover you might not like this.

on 8/29/2010 10:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I received this as a 100 point perk at Sephora (the mother ship). The shade I received was light.

APPLICATION/FEEL OF PRODCUT:

The first time I applied it to clean skin, no primer, using my fingers. I felt a slight burning sensation in certain parts of my face. Tingling as well. It was odd, but not uncomfortable. There was not odd odor, really no smell at all that I could detect. The product itself is thick and creamy and spreads easily, giving thin to medium coverage. I find it buildable. The color match for my skin is almost exact (light in Smashbox/NW25 in MAC). I also tried it over primer the next day and got the same tingly reaction, yet less severe. I set the tm each time with Guerlain meteorites Teint Rose 01. and followed with my regular blush/eyeshadow/masacara etc. routine. This held up even better than MAC tm in hot, humid southern temperatures.

REMOVAL OF PRODUCT

At the end of the day, some of the mu had been patted away with sweat, but I still had a quite a bit to wash off with the makuep remover cloth before cleaning my skin. It has a much more waxy? emulsified? oily? I'm not sure what the word is...the consistency is like Revlon Photoready, to put it succinctly. The same water-resistant qualities as PR, and the same need for an actual mu remover to be used to take it off prior to cleansing the skin. Using a regular mu remover cloth does the job easily, and following up with plain facial cleansing cloths is sufficient to clean the skin.

OVERALL IMPRESSION

It's a good product with great lasting power, plus it has spf, which I'm sure accounts for the initial tingling/burning feelings. Used over a primer, these side effects are markedly decreased. It is buildable for more coverage if you want it, and it has great staying power, especially if set with a powder. I did break out in 2 small zits after using this product, however, my trial run of the product happened to coincide with PMS and a trip to the deeper south where it rained the entire time, so I strongly suspect it was the combination of those factors, not the product, that gave me the zits. My very sensitive skin did not have a sensitivity reaction to this product, which speaks volumes for me.

May repurchase. Not quite certain yet, as it is quite expensive at $30USD for 1.7 oz. of product. I am on a hunt for my ideal foundation, and while this is a nice product that works the way I want it to work, I am not quite sure it is worth the price yet. Will continue to research other products. Nice product, though. Definitely try it out if you get the chance.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Despite being a makeup artist/occasional-model-who-grills-makeup-artists-for-secrets, I never thought I would apply the term 'holy grail' to a foundation product. Experimenting with products is a terrifying ordeal; my skin is incredibly finicky -- it even has the nerve to break out when I use Clinique's Clarifying Makeup. (Somebody explain THAT one to me.) The Smashbox tinted moisturiser is a godsend. I schmear it on in lieu of regular moisturiser and have even, natural, glowing skin. Top it off with another schmear of the Smashbox Halo powder, and I only need concealer if I'm in a photoshoot. (SCORE!)

Best of all: my skin is remarkably better. By 'remarkably better,' I mean it isn't breaking out. At all. And I've SLEPT in the stuff on multiple occasions, albeit unintentionally. (Chianti FTW.)

In short: Buy this, ladies. You will not be disappointed. It works beautifully alone, or under MMU if additional coverage is desired.

I bought this sight unseen based on the positive reviews here and have not been disappointed. I purchased the lightest, luminous and was worried on further ready to find out that it is billed as a luminizer (you'd think I might have guessed based on the name). It has turned out to be the ideal shade, though and not at all sparkly like I worried.

This TM is very creamy and spreads easily over my skin without becoming greasy or cakey. I have quite dry skin so I prep with serum, moisturizer, then sunscreen. With these priming layers I get a very natural, glowy finish. The TM itself is quite thick and creamy, so I wouldn't be surprised if those with skin not as dry as mine could get away without an additional moisturizer. I've found previous TMs greasy or too thick, or even too thin and streaky, but this settles perfectly and leaves my skin soft to the touch, not sticky, greasy, or dry.

I tend to break out easily and quickly if my skin doesn't like a product. I've had no breakouts from this, despite starting to use it when I would normally be getting hormonal acne.

I'm quite pale, a bit lighter than mac's nw15. Luminous is an excellent colour match, if a smidge dark. It's very neutral, pulling a bit more to peach than beige. The coverage is very sheer, so my freckles are still visible but my redder areas are toned down. I still have to use concealer around my nose and under my eyes, but both are quite bad due to allergies. This gives a very nice glowy look, without being shimmery. There may be some micro shimmer particles, but I can't see them. Altogether, it's very subtle and natural.

My stats:
cool to neutral ppp, dry skin. prone to product induced breakouts but not blackheads or cystic acne. some fine lines.

on 4/11/2008 10:19:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I just bought this product a few days ago. My favorite, for my oily skin had been Cosmedicine Medi-Matte Oil Control tint in light. But, now that I've read about parabens, I've been trying to steer clear of them.
I wish the spf was at least 20, so I knocked off one lippie. But, it does a good job keeping oil away. I use BE mineral veil over it a couple of times during the day.
My skin is fair-medium. For most products, I go up one color. So, I did with this because the color seemed to blend in at Sephora. Now that I have it home, I wonder if I should've tried the fair. My skin will darken a little now that the weather is warming, so it will probably be perfect in a month. The funny thing is that the cosmedicine looks a little darker in the tube, but they're almost identical.
Note that the luminous isn't really a color. The first color in is fair, then light, medium, and dark.
I still think that the Cosmedicine works a little bit better, but for paraben-free, I'm happy. I've tried so many tinted moisturizers. Most are for moisturizing - not mattifying and often I'm too greasy and/or breakout. Most mattifiers don't have spf or tint. This product is one of the few that I've found that works well. I recently tried Shiseido's tinted moisturizer and it didn't matte me at all. I had Stila's illuminating tinted moisturizer, which broke me out. I wasn't impressed with Laura Mercier's or Benefit's. Neutrogena's made my skin a funny color.
This promises antioxidants and anti-aging peptides. I can use that! Cosmedicine has antioxidants, but nothing for aging (other than sunscreen).
This is also cheaper than Cosmedicine, which is $42 for 1oz. This is $30 for 1.7 oz!
*** Edit **** I got the fair and it's the perfect color for me. If you're fair-med then don't go for the light.
*** Edit 2 *** I have to say that this doesn't cover as well or mattify like Cosmedicine's Medi-Matte Tint. Even though this is cheaper, no parabens, and antioxidants, I think I may have to go back for summer. This one will be my cooler weather option, when I'm less oily.

Love this stuff! I have always used MD Skincare TM, but after getting a sample of this from sephora (in Luminous) I became hooked and ran to buy some! From the first day I just LOVED the dewyness that this product brought to my skin. I wear it with concealer and a bit of bronzer and it literally looks like I have naturally flawless skin...it doesn't look like makeup at all. Far more natural than MD.

The coverage is quite light, though. It's probably more with the actual tones, rather than luminous which is the sheerest of them all, but one can always add in a drop of foundation for days when more coverage is needed.

For days when I want a bit of extra dewiness, I add in a drop of armani's fluid sheer - the results are insanely amazing.

Don't love the packaging of this product. Wish the dispensing hole was smaller so that I wouldn't run out as quickly. It's the same amount as MD, but doesn't last as long because of the way it dispenses. That being said, it's a bit cheaper than MD.

Either way, this is a wicked product and I'm so glad I found it. And so far, no break outs or anything, which I'm very prone to. Also, spf is awesome.

EDIT: After a month and a half of use I've decided that this product has been breaking me out terribly. I never get zits, and this is the only change I've made to my skin care routine. I know it's oil free, but there's something in it that doesn't work well with the skin. Clearly I'm not the only one who has had this problem. Such a shame because it's a great product otherwise.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

How much I really wanted this product to work; however, it made my skin breakout horribly! I know I should have heeded the warnings of previous reviewers, but I couldn't resist. I used it for about a week and half (gloriously) when my face suddenly grew three monstrosities--it was too late already. The week and half I was using it, though, it was nice. I purchased Luminous because the tinted colored ones weren't even close to matching my skin color. Luminous reminded me a lot of Stila's Illuminating Liquid Foundation. It gives you a subtler glow, though, without the colored tint. And because it's a moisturizer, it doesn't cake like foundations do. I still use a light moisturizer for drier spots, just in case. It's a great product for those looking for an understated "I look like I'm not wearing makeup but I really am" look.

On the flip side, I think this would be a perfect product if my face wasn't so sensitive and prone to breakouts. Too bad. But I've kept it because it's a product that I will still use--sparingly--though.