Smashbox Sheer Focus Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15

Filtered by age: 36-43
Smashbox Sheer Focus Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15
Sheer Focus Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15

Water, Phenyl Trimethicone, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Butylene Glycol, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Acrylates Copolymer, Caprylyl Glycol, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/ Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate Copolymer, Polysorbate 60, Squalane, Honey, Pectin, Lecithin, C20-22 Alcohols, C20-22 Alkyl Phosphate, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Polysilicone-11, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone, Oligopeptide-10, Silica, Betaine, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Ethoxydiglycol, Xanthan Gum, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Propylene Glycol Stearate, Triethanolamine, Triethoxy Caprylylsilane, Polysorbate 20, Sorbitan Laurate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol Laurate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Tetrasodium EDTA. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides. ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: 7.0% Octinoxate (2-Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate), 2.9% Zinc Oxide

I am not sure what to think about this product. I woke up last Tuesday, thought "I'll go to Sephora and look at makeup" and got up and brushed my teeth and put on some clothes and drove to Sephora, stopping for gas along the way. It was a sunny day, a little hot but not too bad, and my skin had a "dewy" look to it already due to humidity. The freeway looked a little backed up so I took the long way to get there, which possibly added more of a dewy glow since it took so long and I was a little hot in the car.

Once arriving at Sephora, I asked an SA who was really nice and about 30 years old with red hair for samples of tinted moisturizers. I got one from Laura Mercier, one from Urban Decay, one from Stila, one from Clinique, one from Lancome, one from Josie Maran, one from Boscia, one from Sephora Brand, one from Philosophy, one from Tarte, one from DuWop, one from Clarins and this one from Smashbox. There was one other one too but I forgot it. When I remember, I will update.

The one from Smashbox is kinda sheer. Not super-sheer, but I would have to say pretty sheer. It has some light-reflecting properties to it that some might think looks too shiny. I don't really think it is too shiny, but I have to say it is a little bit shiny. There is an SPF in it of 15. I like an SPF, I guess a 15 is okay, but of course a higher one is better. But then I think maybe I don't really need a higher one, since I'm not out in the sun all that often. The last time I was really out in the sun long-term it was on a tropical vacation. I don't know when I'll be on a tropical vacation again so I don't want to worry too much about SPF I guess. If you have any good ideas for my next vacation please send me a message.

I liked the feeling of this going on, it's nice and smooth. It has almost a watery gel consistency. But not toooooo watery. Some people like creamier textures but I also sometimes like just a gel feeling to makeup. The gel makes it have some staying power. I guess it stayed on okay for about 7 hours or so I didn't really keep track because I had a doctor's appointment at 2, and also had to do some grocery shopping. I bought bread there because I was out of it. Also I bought milk.

I didn't break out bad from this TM, but it's hard to really say because I was close to my period the day I started using it. So I did get one or two small zits, but I'm not sure it was the TM. My periods lately have been kind of irregular. I'm not sure how this should affect my choice of a good TM but I am working on it.

I applied this TM with a brush, but you could probably use your hands or a sponge or some other kind of makeup applicator. I used about a nickel-sized amount and I would say it covered pretty well. You may need more than that if you have a big face, or less if you have a really small one. I also used some concealer, some powder and then a face mist to set it all. After that, I went and did some laundry consisting mostly of darks and brights. I used Tide followed with a lavender-scented fabric softener. Two loads took about an hour and a half. I was wearing the TM the whole time.

That night I almost forgot to take the TM off. I'm not sure how my skin would have reacted if I'd slept in it, but no worries because I removed it with a foaming cleanser and a washcloth. I don't use toner so I can't tell you if the cotton ball would have been clean or not. But chances are, it probably would have. I followed the cleanser with a little bit of oil-free lotion and went to bed, where I slept for around 8 hours. I don't remember what dreams I had, if any. But they were probably really, really really long dreams about makeup. They were probably dreams that went on and on and on for what seems like almost forever about makeup.

THIS REVIEW IS DEDICATED to all the people who are writing entire novels to review a product. Please for the love of all that's holy, please please learn to EDIT. :)

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Great tinted moisturizer! I mix it with a bit of Korres primer and it applies smoothly. I love how it makes my skin feel, and with a bit of primer mixed in, the coverage is just enough to even things out without looking fake. And I love any facial product with sunscreen in it!

My only complaint was the that Light shade was too dark for me, but I've ordered a tube in Fair and I'll save the Light for summer. Or if Fair turns out too light for me, I'll mix the two shades together.

I decided to re-write my review of this since I have now been using it for two years. I am on my third bottle of it. This is my HG product. I use it alone and with powder depending on my skin. I recently took a break and was using a Korean BB cream instead. I started breaking out a bit, but figured it was just due to hormones or the change in weather. I still had a fair bit of this left, so put it on instead of the BB cream a few days ago. My skin cleared up overnight and became more dewy. My skin was becoming dry and flaky. This is so soothing. I have oily, acne prone skin and this is the best thing I have ever put on my face! It is important to give the bottle a shake before you put it on. I then put Korrres MMU or Halo on top. Is my skin flawless? No! But it looks pretty darn good! This gives a subtle healthy glow. Great product. I hope they never discontinue it! A few months ago, I had a make over done. I had an allergic reaction to the cleanser and the SA put this on to sooth my skin. It calmed right away. I really love Smashbox. You can use this without a primer. It is a great product.

I am continuing to search for a tinted moisturizer that won't break me out.I barely had this on for a half day till I started getting major clogged pores on my chin. So disappointed.

on 8/1/2011 5:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

The moisturizer has a great texture to it when first applied. However, the oils with which the product is made, begins to separate in the container, and on hot days, also separates on your face.

Love this product. It is now my HG. If I need a bit more coverage (rare) then I use Benifits foundation stick wtih this. Perfect for my skin tone. Note: I tend to be on the dry side.

on 2/16/2011 4:27:00 PM

I have really difficult skin. It still breaks out and is oily. I find a lot of make up looks weird at the end of the day or is cakey. I have been using this in Luminous for several months along with mmu and it is great. If I don't use it, I find my skin is really oily so it does control oil quite well! I am going to buy the Light next time to get more coverage. Some people say it is oily, but I give it a good shake before I put it on and it is really nice. I love the feel of it. I am hoping I can use the light no its own and will update. By they way, I bought this in early November and still have tons left.

on 8/29/2010 10:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I received this as a 100 point perk at Sephora (the mother ship). The shade I received was light.

APPLICATION/FEEL OF PRODCUT:

The first time I applied it to clean skin, no primer, using my fingers. I felt a slight burning sensation in certain parts of my face. Tingling as well. It was odd, but not uncomfortable. There was not odd odor, really no smell at all that I could detect. The product itself is thick and creamy and spreads easily, giving thin to medium coverage. I find it buildable. The color match for my skin is almost exact (light in Smashbox/NW25 in MAC). I also tried it over primer the next day and got the same tingly reaction, yet less severe. I set the tm each time with Guerlain meteorites Teint Rose 01. and followed with my regular blush/eyeshadow/masacara etc. routine. This held up even better than MAC tm in hot, humid southern temperatures.

REMOVAL OF PRODUCT

At the end of the day, some of the mu had been patted away with sweat, but I still had a quite a bit to wash off with the makuep remover cloth before cleaning my skin. It has a much more waxy? emulsified? oily? I'm not sure what the word is...the consistency is like Revlon Photoready, to put it succinctly. The same water-resistant qualities as PR, and the same need for an actual mu remover to be used to take it off prior to cleansing the skin. Using a regular mu remover cloth does the job easily, and following up with plain facial cleansing cloths is sufficient to clean the skin.

OVERALL IMPRESSION

It's a good product with great lasting power, plus it has spf, which I'm sure accounts for the initial tingling/burning feelings. Used over a primer, these side effects are markedly decreased. It is buildable for more coverage if you want it, and it has great staying power, especially if set with a powder. I did break out in 2 small zits after using this product, however, my trial run of the product happened to coincide with PMS and a trip to the deeper south where it rained the entire time, so I strongly suspect it was the combination of those factors, not the product, that gave me the zits. My very sensitive skin did not have a sensitivity reaction to this product, which speaks volumes for me.

May repurchase. Not quite certain yet, as it is quite expensive at $30USD for 1.7 oz. of product. I am on a hunt for my ideal foundation, and while this is a nice product that works the way I want it to work, I am not quite sure it is worth the price yet. Will continue to research other products. Nice product, though. Definitely try it out if you get the chance.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Here is a little background- I am in my late 30's, the ultimate combo skin (The shiniest t-zone and desert dry cheeks/chin that sometimes flake). Skincolor complicated- olive/yellowtone/sometimes medium-sometimes dark etc...) Basically I've always had to mix 2 foundations Argg.

About the product- I got this in medium it's 35$ Cdn- pretty good since I've paid 58$Cdn for Chanel TM in sand. Which I love but spring/summer sun is approaching and you guessed it SKINCOLOR CHANGES AGAIN!!!

So smashbox- it's thick going on but once it settles onto your skin it's nice. I looked like I got 20minutes of sun, I came out of the gym look and I am happy. I have to put a slight dab of sheer loose powder to not feel like this TM is going to slide off my face. No extra oilies on me and no turning orange. I hope this is going to hold up for the humide weather. I so cross my fingers! As for color so far it's good, because it's a tint not actually foundation. A hint of color is always good.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have tried so many TM's.. i'm very oily, yet i like the idea of a sheer wash to even out my face and give me sun protection. i dont like things overly thick or greasy. This is one of my favorite tinted moisturizers. i like that it is oil free and doesnt have any 'glitter' or shimmer to it. I have found that this runs DARK- i am a medium in everything except in this i am light. the color does not shift through the day, it just runs darker than normal. feels very natural on, it is not oil blotting, but it does not add to the shine of my face, which is good. I set it with a light dusting of powder and i'm set all day at the office.