Butter London Nail Foundation Flawless Basecoat

Butter London Nail Foundation Flawless Basecoat

3.9

Ethyl Acetate, Butyl Acetate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Nitrocellulose, Phthalic Anhydride, Trimellitic Anhydride, Glycols Copolymer, Trimethyl Pentanyl Diisobutyrate, Triphenyl Phosphate, Talc, Stearalkonium Hectorite, Benzophenone 1, Red (CI 77491- Iron Oxides)

I used this as my basecoat for a while and all my manicures peeled off like crazy. They barely lasted a couple days before the edges started to lift. I've since switched to Deborah Lippmann Hard Rock as a base coat and I now find my manicures are lasting. So unfortunately, the "flawless basecoat" claim simply does not hold up. What it does do well is apply fairly evenly and prevent staining of the nails (something that a clear basecoat like DL might not do so well).
By itself as a polish, this product has a nude, perfecting effect on the nails. "Nail foundation" is a good name for this reason. If you use the product in this way, you will need two coats to make sure it is streak-free, unless you very carefully apply a very thin coat. Top with a basecoat if you want it shiny. It will look like your nails are not painted, but even in color. You will get some chipping and tipwear, but with a nude product like this it will be hard to notice.

For the price, I don't think this performs well enough as either a basecoat or polish. I'm not sure about an exact dupe, but in the big, wide world of nail polish it should be easy enough to find a nude polish like this for *much* cheaper. As a basecoat I would skip it entirely, unless you want to give it a trial run with some dark shades to prevent staining. Just be aware that your mani may peel off in a few days.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I'm unsure why people like this product. It goes on streaky and matte, making the nails look unhealthy. If you look closely, there are lots of little lumps or bubbles. A second coat to iron out the streaks increases the bubbles and lumps. Perhaps I got a bad bottle or didn't use it properly, but I certainly wouldn't buy it again. The one thing I did like is the bottle and how you can open the inside screw top with the external lid.

To Read all 60 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

For me this is the subtle difference that make my nails look professionally manicured vs. at home. Thin layers are the only way to keep from peeling.

on 1/11/2015 10:13:00 AM

I agree with other reviews in that I think the BL foundation promotes peeling at the base of your manicure, I too am experienced at giving myself a weekly manicure, and it seems like I end up with a bubble at the edge of the nail every time when I use this base coat - and the entire manicure is then prone to peeling off. What a disappointment as I really like the BL PDQ topcoat, Will not buy this again.

on 12/5/2014 11:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I purchased this in a special package with Butter P.D. Quick Topcoat for $15 for both. I would normally not spend $15 on one nail polish.

As a base coat, this does a superb job of smoothing the nail surface and creating a sleek canvas. I am growing out a gel manicure (too lazy to go back to salon for removal) and still have some little bits of lumpy gel on a few nails...this smoothed them RIGHT out.

The color is also nice, as some have stated. It gives you a natural nail look (although it is more of a nude, rather than pinkish, natural) if you just put clear over it.

That said, this did not work well for me in terms of keeping nails from chipping. I have dry, weak nails that constantly peel at the tips....they peeled just as much with this base coat and P.D. Quick as they do with any drugstore base coat. In fact, I think that the Revlon base coat (it's a matte pinkish shade) was actually better.

I love the look and style of Butter polish bottles (a plus).

I'll use up this bottle, but I wouldn't buy this again.

Not worth the money.
Bought it after reading the great reviews, and it's a huge disappointment. Nail polish chips after 1 day (!) and after 2-3 days huge pieced of nail polish just fall off, leaving half nail naked.

Revlon Base Coat costs way less and it's amazing. Buy it instead.

on 7/16/2014 10:37:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Though I'm always on the lookout for something new or better, for the past couple years this has been HG. I really can't stand BL bottles so that annoys me, but I like the nudey color of this BC. I typically use it in conjunction with SV and 90% of the time my manis wear like rocks for a full week. Every now and then, and I can't predict it or what brands of polish it happens with because it's so sporadic, manis flake off in sheets right away. Because it's such a small percent of the time it's obviously the chemistry of the color polish interacting with this BC and my SV top coat so I don't attribute it to the BC at all. This really has changed the frequency I wear polish; I didn't have the patience to put effort into manis before only to have them chip a few days later. After doing research here, I found Foundation and I am very happy with it. Minus 1 lippy because the packaging. The cap drives me nuts and I'd love a slightly wider brush. Also this bottle is taller than BL polishes which I wish it wouldn't be; the larger the bottle, the more gets wasted when it gets gloopy, which this definitely gets about 2/3 way down the bottle. I recommend it regardless if you can afford it (which I no longer can but would probably go into debt for if I wasn't already drowning)!

on 4/5/2014 11:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I love this base coat. It's marketed as make-up for your nails and I would have to agree! It has a lovely nude matte finish which is great to wear alone as well as under a polish. It dries fast, a plus as I'm impatient, and you get a ton in the bottle - great for the price! Will definitely buy again.

UPDATE: I must have received a poor batch or old product because I exchanged it and this is like night and day. No chipping (well...1 minor nick, but it couldn't be helped, I accidentally hit it on a stainless steel pan) and no peeling! I will update later on whether or not it stains. Fingers crossed!

OLD REVIEW: This gave me mixed feelings, but overall, the positives didn't outweigh the negatives. This has a nice transparent peachy-nude color that gives the nails a polished and tidy look. This also dries really quickly and makes colors you put atop vibrant. Unfortunately, the 20 to 30 minutes you just spent shaping and polishing your nails will be ruined by the next day. Chipping and peeling within 24 hours. Not little chips either, large ones that are about a quarter of the polish on the nail....simply chipped, peeled and *POOF* gone. I suspect that the top coat induces the chipping and the base coat enables the peeling. It's rather unfortunate because I love those first few points and I LOVE the packaging (where you can use the cover cap to open the bottle, ingenious...no more opening bottles with your teeth!). I also noticed some peachy-yellow staining after less that one day of wear. Le sigh....

on 11/14/2013 11:23:00 PM

It costs $20 and it still chipped from normal everyday tasks. Disappointed.