Filtered by skin type : Normal

4.4

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Okay so this is one of those products that definitely isn't for everyone, and from comments I've seen online it seems pretty divisive, I guess because of how extreme it is. I'd personally say only use it as a last resort, for example if you have acne scarring; particularly the pitted kind. I wouldn't use it myself for anti-aging or if you already have flawless or near flawless skin. It's not that it's horribly risky, but there is of course SOME degree of risk involved when using needles on your skin so proceed with caution and do your research first.

I had small boxcar and rolling acne scars on both cheeks, which were mildly pitted. Foundation didn't cover them, so with nothing to lose I figured I'd fork over $60 for a dermaroller. As of this review I've been micro needling for 2 years (2015 and 16) and it's been an interesting experience, one of the most brutal yet effective beauty tools I've ever used.

I bought my roller from Dermacare Direct after hearing from friends who bought one there. It's lightweight with a clear plastic handle and teal blue head with titanium needles, and came with a sterilizing solution, plastic case and instructions. I read online that a 0.5mm is best to start off with, so that's what I got. I washed my face with gentle soap and some water (don't start out with irritated skin and do not needle open cuts, sores or acne; this is very important). I then put my hair back off my face and sterilized the roller, before rinsing it with hot water and letting it cool.

I then used the roller over my cheeks, pulling the skin taut with my fingers and moving the roller back and forth firmly. I think the thing that freaks a lot of people out about this device is the fact that, to use it *properly* (the way it was intended), there is usually a minor amount of blood drawn, which you can just wipe off with a clean damp washcloth as you go along. The roller works by piercing the skins epidermal and dermal layers; the needles breaking up old scar tissue, the longer the needles the deeper they pierce (though I don't advise going bigger than 1.0mm, even for very pitted skin). The skin then treats the piercings like an injury, and sends new collagen to repair them thus filling in the acne scars. You may hear a faint popping sound as you roll, which can be trippy. I don't like it so I listen to music.

I won't lie, this hurts A LOT imo and if you can get yourself some topical numbing cream, do so. Unfortunately it's hard to get a hold of where I currently live. It feels like what it is: being stabbed with lots of tiny needles. The pain is worth it, however, as I personally did see results. After rolling your skin should look pink and feel tender (like mild sunburn), which will last for around 2 or 3 days before peeling/flaking off.

I leave six weeks in between sessions as the skin needs time to repair itself; apparently the older you are the longer you need to wait, i.e. a twenty one year old may need 6 weeks but a 31 year old may need 9. After the first 3 or 5 rollings my scars began to fill in a little. I kept going every 6 weeks and now, 2 years on, they are all but filled in. A doctor told me when I was 15 that I'd be 'scarred for life' thanks to acne, and it feels awesome to say I have proved her wrong.

So, overall, the dermaroller DOES work, at least on acne scarred skin. It takes time and dedication, pain tolerance and good hygiene to see the results; it is not an insta fix. If you're going to use it, first ask yourself whether your skin is 'bad' enough as this is a drastic measure. Make sure you buy the correct length of roller, preferably a 0.5mm to start out. Sterilize your roller and rinse with hot water before and after using. Buy one that has titanium or stainless steel needles, and preferably a case. I don't personally apply anything after rolling, I just eat almonds for the vitamin E, though if you do apply something it will absorb deeper so its the best time to.

Don't share your roller with anyone, don't use on active acne or if you are taking blood thinning medication, and discontinue use if you have a bad reaction.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

These are the claims:

Remove years from your appearance and promote younger looking skin by increasing collagen production. Collagen has been found to decrease wrinkles, smooth fine lines, regain skin elasticity, and minimize acne scarring.
♥ Increase absorption of your favorite skincare products such as Retinol, Vitamin C Serum, Hyaluronic Acid, and Cocoa Butter.
♥ Works on all of your problem areas. Minimize stretch marks, eliminate cellulite, and even shrink enlarged pores.
♥ You really can look years younger...in just 1 painless and safe session.
♥ In this offer, you'll receive a gorgeous golden 0.5 mm Titanium Needle DermaRoller with a special travel case with an exclusive instructional manual.

Honestly, I liked it but I didn't see a difference in stretch marks or reducing size of pores. Maybe it helps your body absorb nutrients that you put on your skin but it is hard to tell. I won't repurchase because this lasts a long time and I didn't see a difference.

on 5/30/2016 1:54:00 AM

Love my Derma Roller <3 I saw a huge difference in my deeper facial wrinkles the first time I used it. Also products absorb much better. I used the numbing agent on my face but it did wear off and I got used to it. I did my entire body and did it w/o the numbing and not much pain at all. I used the .75 roller. I rolled my legs over larger blue varicose veins and also my hands and it definitely thickened my skin making veins less noticeable. I use the 1/4 roller in between the tendons on my hands where it is hard to reach with the full roller. I definitely notice a HUGE difference in thickness of my skin on the hands! :) I do my elbows too and notice less wrinkles on them when my arms are straight. I am going to get a derma stamp for my inner eyes because the rollers are hard to get close enough. I want to use the stamp close in between my eyes where it had gotten hallow and bluish and I normally have to use coverup pencil before my makeup. I have done this area as close as I can and have definitely noticed a huge difference in filling in this area between the eyes and much less bluish color. I also go heavier (with a 1/4 roller for small areas) on the dark circle arch below my eyes and have noticed the skin thickening in there so dark circles appear less noticeable. I make sure I have LOTS of time to apply as best as I can using a 10X mirror to see my face well (takes me 1 1/2 hrs just to do face/neck/hands/elbows/scars/veins in legs). I do not put anything on my face for at least a day and a half and make sure I do not have to go anywhere so it will be done right. This product works and makes total sense once you know the science behind it. I wish I had heard of this product years ago! I can't believe how it works for such an inexpensive price! Why is this not sold in the stores I wonder?! Turns back time!!

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I have to say, I was a little skeptical at first, but after researching the science behind it, it made perfect sense. I have been using it once a month (2 mm) for about 8 months and have seen a significant difference in my skin. I had deep scars from a previous skin infection, severe hyperpigmentation (melasma) from birth control pills, and mild wrinkles (I'm 37). I tried several EXPENSIVE prescription creams for the hyperpigmentation, and even after months of consistent daily use, I did not see any improvement. I got a derma roller on Ebay for about $8 (.5 mm) and thought, why not?
I saw a huge improvement after about 3 months of once a week use, and gradually increased to a 2 mm. I use it once a month as advised, and have seen an even more drastic difference. The deep scarring has faded (not completely gone, but very light), the hyperpigmentation has gone from severe to mild, and I am pretty much wrinkle-free.
LADIES: FOR THIS DEVICE TO WORK, YOU NEED TO DO IT CONTINUOUSLY AND CONSISTENTLY.
The downside of this is that it is mild to moderately painful, depending on the length of the needle. I would advise anyone who uses a 1.5 mm or longer, USE A NUMBIMG CREAM FIRST (you can get 5% lidocaine on ebay for pretty cheap), because if you use this device correctly, IT WILL STING AND YOU WILL BLEED A LITTLE. If you're using a 1 mm or smaller, the redness it will cause will go away overnight for the most part. If you are using over a 1 mm, think about taking off work and hiding out in your house for about 2 days, as it will produce redness similar to a very bad sunburn. And don't try to cover it with cosmetics. This will only further irritate it and may cause infection, as this is a slightly invasive procedure. Make sure to cleanse your face twice a day for 3-4 days afterwards with a mild astringent.
THE BOTTOM LINE: THIS DEVICE WORKS-WITH PERMANENT RESULTS-BUT ONLY IF YOU DO IT CORRECTLY, AND AS OFTEN AS RECOMMENDED!
I really hope this post will encourage all of you considering using it!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Sooo glad I found this product - this really is one of the best things you can buy for your skin, especially if you have scarring or large pores. I bought my dermaroller from Medik8 for around 80 USD$ / 40 GBP. Brand doesnt really matter, though I do recommend getting one with titanium / medical grade stainless steel needles if possible, and make sure the roller comes with a storage case (helps with hygiene). Mine came with free disinfectant solution which was a cool bonus.

In terms of needle size, the Medik8 site suggested:

Home use - 0.2mm
Clinical use - 0.5mm
Medical use - 1.0mm, 1.5mm, 2mm

Since purchasing I've read different things about what size of needle is best - some people say scarring can only be fixed with a longer needle size like a 1.0 or higher but I bought a 0.5 and it's helped my acne scars a LOT. I had shallow ice pick, rolling and boxcar scars on both cheeks, as well as a deep circular chickenpox scar on the bridge of my nose. I use my roller once every 3 or 4 weeks, covering the areas where my scars are. After using it for the last 12 months I can honestly say my skin looks great. The scars have minimized drastically and some aren't even visible anymore. The worst, which was the chickenpox scar, has almost totally disappeared. I actually feel confident enough to go out without makeup now; something I would never have done before I started rolling. My foundation used to sit in the pores/pits of my skin, even with primer, but now I have a really smoothed-out base.

I recommend starting out with a clean, exfoliated face. Disinfect the needles before using and let them air dry. When you roll you should ideally be drawing small amounts of blood (ice pick sized drops). You shouldn't be rolling hard enough to damage your skin but you have to apply pressure or else you won't pierce the dermal layer of the skin, which is the whole point of using the dermaroller. The needles break up old scar tissue and force the skin to repair the tiny puncture wounds by producing new collagen, which - in turn - fills in scars. Each time you roll, new collagen builds up and eventually you end up with smoother, plumper skin.

Rolling *does* hurt but the results are definitely worth it. Afterwards your skin looks like you have minor sunburn and feels quite tender, but this subsides in a few days. The downtime is about 5 days in total - if you have somewhere important to go, keep this in mind. The first 2 days after rolling you get skin tightness and micro-swelling, and slight flaking the day after that. After rolling, run the needles under hot water, disinfect and allow to air dry.

I'd say its probably a good idea not to roll more than once every 3 weeks. It takes around 3 - 4 weeks for the skin to heal and for new collagen to build up. If you roll more frequently you risk breaking down the collagen, which kind of destroys the purpose.

I think whether or not the dermaroller is for you depends on your level of pain tolerance, and how bad you want to fix your skin. If you have scarring then I really do recommend buying one as it really does help. I've heard dermaroller is also beneficial in terms of anti-aging but being 21 I don't really know how effective this is yet. I guess it'd probably work on fine lines and wrinkles, because of the collagen build up and tightening effect. Either way, at the very least it helps products (moisturizers etc) absorb better, so even if you don't have any major skin problems/scarring, its worth buying one just to enhance product absorption. I don't recommend using a dermaroller on sensitive skin or active acne.

Just to update my review Ive been checking out my bare face in the mirror recently in different kinds of lighting (harsh sunlight, sunset, white light etc) and not to sound conceited but it looks truly flawless in all of them. It used to be that I couldnt stand seeing my face even with makeup in natural lighting as you could really notice my scars/large pores and how my foundation just sat on top of them. Now my skin actually glows when I look at it in natural lighting. The pores are almost invisible and the scars just arent there anymore, its like theyve been totally filled in. I dont mean to gush but after having acne (some of it cystic) I honestly never thought Id have perfect skin again, and yet thanks to the Dermaroller I have. You cant even tell I ever had skin problems.

Something else I noticed is that I used to have lines/line scarring on my cheeks when I smiled, like my face wasnt tight enough. Theyve totally disappeared now and my face is a lot smoother/tighter when I smile, so I guess the Dermaroller also has a tightening effect as well as all its other benefits; which means it works well as an anti-aging tool

on 5/29/2014 12:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

I started using the Derma Roller approximately a year ago. I use a 1.5 every 6 weeks religiously. I use numbing cream on my face for about an hour prior to rolling. There is no way I could roll my face without it...It surprises me that some of the reviews posted state they don't need it and it doesn't hurt. I literally break out in a sweat right before I start! I do use enough pressure for the needles to completely go into my skin. Its a little un-nerving because I can hear my skin being punctured. There is some minor bleeding. As far as the results, I had a small scar on my left cheek from having a basal cell removed, and I make sure to roll over that area several times. Before I started rolling there was an obvious "dent" where the incision was, now it's not even noticeable. It looks great! I'm not sure if its just the roller that has helped, or a combination of my skin care and rolling. I use Obagi and sunscreen daily. After rolling I put Obagi CRX vitamin C serum on my face, which does have hydroquinone in it. I really think it goes in deeper and lightens my skin after rolling. There is no more brown pigmentation on my face. I have to say that my pores are smaller, there are hardly any noticeable lines on my face. My skin looks amazing for a 44 year old! I get surprised reactions from people when I tell them my age. That is a good feeling, I think I have found the anti-aging prescription for my skin. I know this process seems very barbaric, but it works, and it's a small price to pay for beautiful skin. I will continue to roll my face for years to come. I'm not going down without a fight.
UPDATE**3/2015
I have recently decided to try to use the electronic form of dermarolling. I ordered the Derminator from Owndoc.com. I have not received it yet. However, I will update after it arrives and I get a chance to use it. I am very excited about trying it. Owndoc.com has been a wonderful resource for me with this process. They research everything for you and have tons of information available about dermarolling. They profess that the electronic device is more comfortable to use...hopefully that is true.
UPDATE**4/7/2015
I received my electronic derma roller, the "Derminator" from Owndoc.com last weekend and I used it for the first time and needed absolutely NO numbing cream! I couldn't believe how much more comfortable the whole process was. The needles penetrate your skin so much faster than rolling them, which makes a huge difference in the discomfort. I programed the needle depth to 1.5 mm and was amazed how much it didn't hurt! The only place that was slightly uncomfortable was on my forehead. I even noticed the texture of my skin was so much smoother the days after. Normally when I use my roller, I've noticed that a day or two afterward I would need to exfoliate pretty good because the areas where the needles went in felt slightly scabbed. They didn't look any different but I could definitely feel it when I ran my hand across my face. I have had no side effects from the derminator, my skin feels very smoothe. I would strongly recommend this product to anyone who uses a dermaroller. I'm actually looking forward to my next treatment instead of breaking out into a sweat because I know the pain thats coming. I am definitely hooked on this little device for life. It cost $199 and I ordered extra needles cartridges with it. DEFINITELY WORTH EVERY PENNY!

on 4/20/2014 6:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Please disregard the misinformation by the reviewer below who implies that one can get tetanus from a dermaroller!! It is highly unlikely, unless you have been using your dermaroller for gardening outdoors or cleaning the litter box or if you choose to spread dirt all over your face after rolling. Tetanus is an infectious disease caused by contamination of wounds from the bacteria Clostridium tetani, or the spores they produce that live in the soil, and animal feces. There is no association with rust and tetanus. That is a myth. This came about because one could contract tetanus from an outdoor puncture wound - like from a nail in the dirt. It is not the nail or the rust but the bacterium or its spores that can cause tetanus. Just use proper hygiene and common sense. Thanks for reading. PS - I have used a dermaroller and have had no adverse effects.

on 7/25/2013 12:39:00 PM

I love this product! I used it for acne scarring and it has helped fade those teenage scars dramatically in weeks. I was a little sceptical of using it as first but it isn't scary or difficult to use at all. It didn't pain me and the feeling was just a slightly uncomfortable, prickling sensation that you soon get used to. I highly recommend to get yourself a numbing cream if you're intolerant to pain as that will make the treatment much more pleasant :)

It's also made my pores look smaller, skin tighter and just more vibrant and HD. Even passed it on to my mum for pigmentation and although her brown spots are so old it still worked at fading them slightly so she doesn't have to cover them up with tonnes of concealer now.

Next up, I'm going to try it on my stretch marks for the summer. Fingers crossed it will work just as well as it did on the face. I seriously cannot live without it. I feel every women should have one in their skincare kit for a point in time when they are unhappy with their skin.

Got mine for around £30 from here by the way http://www.shumailas.com/derma-rollers

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I really did not want to share my thoughts about dermarolling until I was sure the results my doctor and achieved were permanent. It's been a while since a had the treatment and now I can say that the improvement is permanent! I am aware of the fact it does not work for everybody, but for me - it made a huge difference. The needles my doctor used were 1.5mm long.

update #1:

Shallow acne scars are gone. I can't find them even with a magnifying glass. A chickenpox scar on my forehead improved by 70%. Some doctors say dermarolling creates scars and that it's really bad for your skin, but it worked for me and my skin is amazing.I had 5 sessions all together and do not need more treatments. I am glad I chose this over Fraxel.

on 9/3/2011 8:39:00 AM

So I took the plunge and ordered a 1mm roller and1.5mm derma stamp from Sarah Vaughter. She is very responsive to emails and questions and her site is filled with lots of i fo and forums on derma rolling. It took 3 weeks to receive my products, so she refunded ALL my money because she has a 2week guarantee. I emailed her asking if she could check on the shipping since I had not received the products yet and within the hour all my money plus shipping was refunded back to my paypal. That was nice!

I did weeks of research on the net trying to figure out the best roller for me, tecjniques, disinfection methods. It is SO important that everyone take disinfection seriously. I have read some horror stories of staph and MRSA infections as a result of rolling, regardless of brand.

I inspected my roler and stamp and found the needles to be even and sharp. All lined up well, none were bent.

I took a long hot shower, pulled my hair back. I only chose to start out testing a part of my forehead. I am an exoressive person and that is where my wrinkles are. I used hibiclens on the skin, wiped off with warm water on fresh clean cloth, then used alcohol, which I let air dry. I had soaked the roller in 70% alcohol for 20 min. I even used cotton balls soaked in alcohol to wipe down the handle.

(I also want to note that while i was using a 1mm roller, it only goes as deep as you are willing to press. I used a very light hand, just enough pressure to slightly prick, not even drawing blood. I might as well have been using a .5 mm roller)
I started on one side of forehead with very light, almost NO pressure. I could hear a bit of that popping noise some report. It was not that painful, honestly. I lightly went over all forehead, no bleeding. Not agressive, not too much over my '11' between the eye wrinkles. Slightly red. Felt a bit like a sunburn.

Now Sarah Vaughter website advises that you follow up with her infadolan ointment, which is just A and D ointment WITHOUT the zinc, dont use zinc. I used a fresh tube, squirted onto a swab NOT my hands, no cross infecting just in case.

Woke up this morning...what are my results? Not too good. while many, many websites selling derma rollers say that these micro punctures close up immediately, as soon as you are done rolling, this was not the case for me. I can see the holes, my forehead looks a bit orange-peel like. And there are small tracks as if there were some 'drag' to the needles.

Many of you might think I would panic at this point, but I am 41. My forehead is not perfect. And if I have learned one thing over the years when it comes to my skin, it is this...NO ONE but you is inspecting it THAT closely, like you do in the mirror. Think about people you saw, say, yesterday...do you remember the pores on their forehead? Next time you see them, will you think to yourself, those pores werent there LAST time I saw her! So, while I am unhappy with this result, I know that it is not the end of the world, it could change and get better in time. That is part of what the derma roller claims to do, make minute injuries that require your body to produce collagen to heal. I just firmly believe i did not go deep enough to do the whole collagen-response effect.

I wil say that I am THRILLED that I did NOT use my chin as the test area like i first intended to. If i had that orange peel look and tracks there, i addition to some old acre scars, then i woukd have freaked out. And I am glad i didnt do my cheeks, they are pretty smooth and poreless with no acne. I would have been devasted to have ruined that part of my face, and that would have been noticable.

I also want to strongly advise those trying it out for the first time to do a patch test somewhere inconspicuous on your face. Not on your hands or arms, that skin is different. Many of us here have put so many things on our face, alpha hydroxies, chemical peels, copper peptides, whatever. This changes the thickness and resilience. Your face will react differently and heal differently. Dont just roll all over your face only to find out this is NOT a good fit for you. And after the patch test, WAIT 1-2 weeks to properly gauge results. I have seen reviews where people started rolling 3-5 x a week only to damage their skin or get unfavorable results. Your dermatologist would say the same, you must wait to see what your skin will do. I know we all get excited to get a new product and try the heck out of it, but be patient.

Now I am very aware that you cannot use a product and expect to see a true result 12 hours later. I will update this review in a week or two and let everyone know what came of this.
*UPDATE* 9-16-11 - I haven't used the roller since that first time, the above review. I am too scared that I am going to damage my skin. I haven't noticed that my forehead looks any better. I did notice some tracks left by the roller, though nothing permanent. It took a while for my forehead to heal though. And I used so little pressure, too! I might try this again very very lightly in another test spot just to see if maybe it is beneficial on other parts of my skin.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools