Bobbi Brown longwear gel liner in black mauve

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
Bobbi Brown longwear gel liner in black mauve
longwear gel liner in black mauveBobbi Brown Black Mauve e/lBobbi Brown Black Mauve ShimmerBlack Mauve hip Eggplant Magnetic Fieldslongwear gel liner in black mauve

4.3

on 1/19/2015 12:51:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a plum/bronze with GREY undertones. There isn't much black in it at all which is why I picked it up. We're all moving to a low contrast eye these days and this fits the bill perfectly. (For reference I used this with BB metallic taupe on the lid and heather in the crease - a beautiful anti-kardashian look). The colour is amazing on blue eyes, amping up my natural colouring considerably while the liner itself sits in the background. Isn't that what we are all trying to achieve? The formula is creamier and easier to apply that the other BB gel liners. I resurrected using the BB gel liner brush which I hated but since this formula is forgiving that brush manages to get a nice look and a very smooth application quickly. It smudges out nicely as a shadow/liner too, looking so subtle under the lower lashes. The shimmer is minimal but just enough to keep it from looking flat.

on 10/30/2010 3:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I actually returned this eyeliner (unused) a few weeks ago because, even though it gets good reviews and sounds so pretty in theory, when I opened the lid I saw only a weird dingy color that was almost impossible to identify. Blech. Given my fickleness, and fear that I am missing out on something, I recently purchased it again and this time I decided to actually try it on.

As I was applying it, I felt like my previous impression had been justified. Nothing special, in fact, it took a bit of work to even make it show up, as the shimmer gel eyeliners tend to be more sheer and not as dense as their matte ink sisters. I dipped a MAC 212 flatliner brush into the gel and tightlined the upper lids and then used what was left on the brush to tightline the lower lids, just at the roots of the lashes, staying well back from the water line and tear ducts.

I was afraid the mauve would redden my eyes, but those fears were unfounded. Black Mauve is a lovely bronze with a whisper of deep plum and the barest hint of gold shimmer. It makes for a very natural look with my fair skin and green-grey-blue eyes. I believe Black Mauve would work equally well on both cool and warm skin tones and all eye colors because of the color's complexity.

As with all of Bobbi Brown long-wear products, it stays put until I remove it at the end of the day, even on the lower lid. My only complaint is the product feels stiff and dry compared to the "Ink" gel liners. I thought I received a defective pot, but when I reordered it, I experienced the same texture. The shimmer gels are definitely less moist than the inks.

A friend asked how Black Mauve compared to Caviar, so I swatched them for her on the back of my hand (fair, cool NW15). In both images Black Mauve is on the left and Caviar Ink is on the right.

With flash:

Full Size Image

No flash:

Full Size Image

(Oops, I assumed a link to my stored pictures would display an image. A copy > paste into a browser address bar works. If anyone knows how to insert the actual image, please feel free to message me.)

on 5/10/2010 9:12:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I agree with the other reviewers that the color and texture and durability are fantastic, when the product is new. It takes me a while to use up a product like this since I like to wear different eyeliners depending upon my mood that day. I purchased two shades, Black Mauve and Chocolate, and I loved the way they make my blue eyes pop. I also bought the brush suggested by the SA but quickly found it too difficut to use (I prefer the MAC brush with the angled bristles, forget the number).

My only complaint is that both pots of eyeliner dried out on me within 6 mos. I tried storing them upside down, but it was too late. I had to toss them when there was still a fair amount of product in them. I did try the trick of adding a few drops of rubbing alcohol to rehydrate them, but that only lasts for a few days.

I have found the MAC gel eyeliners to stay fresher longer.

I was worried about this being too dark since it has "black" in the name, but it isn't at all! It's actually quite similar to Sepia, but more cool/neutral I think. The color is so flattering!

on 6/18/2009 6:19:00 PM

Love it!! I have Black Mauve and Chocolate Shimmer and can't think why I'd ever need another eyeliner. No gel liner has ever stayed on my eyes without either disappearing or smudging. These suckers last all day until I take them off. This is more like a slate grey with a little mauve tinge if the light hits it right. Adore it, it's so much softer looking than a black eyeliner but still makes your eyes pop and gives them definition. Smudged well for a smoky eye if you get to it quick.

on 3/4/2009 11:17:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I love Bobbi brown gel liners..i also own the smashbox but Bobbi brown is my favorite and i will use it forever! i always had a problem with running eyeliner and the eyeliner is the most importantpart of my makeup routine! So one day i was crying over some tv show (- and i mean hard!) and i happened to look over at the mirror and was stopped in my tracks and said WOW! My eyeliner was still perfect!

on 9/2/2008 4:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I have to confess that I bought it mainly because it was sitting on a display with new Fall colors. I fell right into their trap. I like Black Mauve Shimmer but I prefer Espresso Ink because it goes on darker, therefore it does a better job of shaping the eye, in my opinion. In general the shimmers tend to go on lighter than they appear in the jar. Black Mauve is a darker brown than Chocolate Shimmer but not as dramatic as Espresso, and it's really not black in spite of the name. I think it's good, and it's new so I'll use it for a while - the liners are easier to apply when they're new. Eventually they all get drier and then they drag. When that happens it's time to buy a different one. My favorite is still Espresso. I do like Ivy, a deep emerald green, when I'm in the mood for that.

I haven't tried Black Mauve Shimmer as a shadow but I saw that suggestion below. I might try this very interesting tip!

on 7/29/2008 7:11:00 PM

I'm a Fluidlines fan, like many others who've reviewed Black Mauve (BM). I was drawn to BM because black e/l usually looks too harsh on me and I was looking for an alternative to the browns I usually wear. So far, I like it, but wouldn't consider it a must-have item.

The color is what was kind of a letdown--although it looks a lot softer than basic black, the eggplant shimmer is barely noticeable after I apply it. It reminds me in a way of MAC's Beauty Marked shadow--gorgeous in the pan/pot, but more of a soft black when applied. It is, however, a nice alternative to black or brown. If you're looking for a more purple/eggplant/mauve e/l, it's probably better to look at MAC's Macroviolet.

The formula is nice though--this goes on smoothly and wears well. I can't say it lasts all day, but it lasts about 8 hours on my oily eyelids.

While this wasn't HG, I'm willing to give other BB gel liners a shot based on this one. I like this, but don't love it.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I like this liner. I bought it to wear with the Mauve palette. I have blue eyes and pale skin so sometimes a black gel liner is to harsh / heavy and brown is to warm / boring so this gray with a bit of plum is a nice in between. Did it make my eyes pop like crazy? No. But its nice for that defined but not to heavy look but this is not a terribly exciting eyeliner...I might repurchase because the color is actually unique.

The color, as others have described, is a brownish-soft black with some plum to it. If you want to describe it another way, I'd call it taupe with an edge. :) Whatever it is, it's not too dark for fair little me (SO hard to find anything that fits this bill), but is certainly dark enough to make my eyes gorgeous. I just ran home to try this on after I bought it, attempted a little cat-eye flick, and am officially in love with Black Mauve Shimmer. I may update after I see it in sunlight; some have said this would be good for folks with green eyes, so I want to see if this is true. I also haven't tried Bobbi Brown eyeliners before, so I need to see if this can pass the longevity test (I'm sure it will be fine, though).
*********************************
Edit - I ended up returning this because it just wasn't different enough from my MAC Lithograph Fluidline. Yes, it's not as harsh as black, but it also (on my lids) didn't look any different than a gray or such. So ends my love affair and I'm going back to my Ben Nye cake liners.