Bobbi Brown longwear gel liner in black mauve

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Bobbi Brown longwear gel liner in black mauve
longwear gel liner in black mauveBobbi Brown Black Mauve e/lBobbi Brown Black Mauve ShimmerBlack Mauve hip Eggplant Magnetic Fieldslongwear gel liner in black mauve

4.6

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

What an amazing color. It is my staple to replace black as it DOES come out quite dark/black, but with just a different undertone. It does not look like brown or grey and makes just as much a statement as black, but has something special. And of all the gel liners, Bobbi's are still the best.

on 3/13/2011 5:03:00 AM

This is a lovely taupe liner that is ever so slightly metallic. It leaves little to be desired as an eyeshadow base, or an eyeliner by itself.

It's my only colored gel liner that I find myself reaching for. Most of the time I use this as an alternative to black liner, and I never understood why. I went back to my usual black liner in denial that it looked good.

But since then, I took a peek at Ellen Page's makeup which I adore. I realized that some of her beautiful smoky brown eyes had a taupe/brown liner along with shadow and I realized how wonderful it looked, and that I had something just like that in my stash.

The staying power is phenomenal. Sometimes I also use this as a liner, then pack on a colored shadow (such as an olive (sumptuous olive to bring out the green), and various other shadows such as smut, club etc.)

It's one of the few times that my liner doesn't smudge from my bottom eye corner. Lovely.

The price is a bit steep, but this has stayed creamy and flake-free for over a year, unlike my MAC fluidlines, and other gel liners. Love it!

on 11/18/2010 4:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

There's a lot to love about this liner. First of all, there's the color. It's just what it sounds like...a blackened mauve. More specifically, in the pot it looks sort of like a muted, darkened violet/burgundy mixture with some shimmer thrown in for depth. On my eyes, it functions much the way taupe eyeshadow works for most of us...it works with just about every neutral combination I can come up with. Since the liner itself is so neutral, it doesn't compete with my shadows; rather, it enhances my eyes. The color is also very buildable. Some people have called it sheer, but I disagree; rather, it goes on opaque but subtly on the first swipe and becomes more vivid on the second go around. However, because the formula is so smooth and silky, there is no flaking or chunkiness when you apply two coats.

Which brings us to the texture. This gel liner is slightly firmer than others I've tried, including MAC, yet it's still silky and satiny. My brush glides across it, picking up just the right amount of product. I find that with a lot of gel liners, they're so soft that my brush drags in the liner and grabs too much product, leaving globs on the brush (or my eyelid if I'm not paying attention). With Black Mauve Shimmer Ink, I can just swipe my brush across the surface of the product a few times to load my brush, and I'm good to go. In addition to that, it's very easy to work with. I can create a very defined line or I can smoke out the look with no problem. In addition, the liner is so silky, it glides across my lids with absolutely no pulling whatsoever, which makes it much easier to get a super-fine line.

Finally, there is the lasting power. This liner stays put! I don't normally have too much problem with migrating liner, but I do lose it at the outer lower corners of my eyes every day. It always looks as if the outer edges of my liner just decided to run south on me. With Black Mauve, I NEVER have that problem.

Overall, I've been really impressed. I plan to go get a couple of the other shades very soon. Of all the gel liners I've tried thus far, this is definitely the most user-friendly, with a good array of colors and great wearability, as well as the ability to stay put all day. Highly recommend.

on 11/14/2010 7:43:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is an awesome color. I was actually looking for a soft black color for those days that I don't want to put on jet black eyeliner because sometimes I don't want that precise & defined look. This color is like a soft blackish eggplant color, it's georgous!! It's not that shimmery so don't be scared. It is a bit sheer so you do have to put a little more on than the other solid colored eyeliners but it's the perfect eyeliner for those days that you want a soft eyeliner look & you don't have to be so precise drawing it like you do with the black ones. From afar though, it just looks like a very soft black to me though so I love it, no one is going to think you have mauve or eggplant colored eyeliner on.

on 10/30/2010 3:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I actually returned this eyeliner (unused) a few weeks ago because, even though it gets good reviews and sounds so pretty in theory, when I opened the lid I saw only a weird dingy color that was almost impossible to identify. Blech. Given my fickleness, and fear that I am missing out on something, I recently purchased it again and this time I decided to actually try it on.

As I was applying it, I felt like my previous impression had been justified. Nothing special, in fact, it took a bit of work to even make it show up, as the shimmer gel eyeliners tend to be more sheer and not as dense as their matte ink sisters. I dipped a MAC 212 flatliner brush into the gel and tightlined the upper lids and then used what was left on the brush to tightline the lower lids, just at the roots of the lashes, staying well back from the water line and tear ducts.

I was afraid the mauve would redden my eyes, but those fears were unfounded. Black Mauve is a lovely bronze with a whisper of deep plum and the barest hint of gold shimmer. It makes for a very natural look with my fair skin and green-grey-blue eyes. I believe Black Mauve would work equally well on both cool and warm skin tones and all eye colors because of the color's complexity.

As with all of Bobbi Brown long-wear products, it stays put until I remove it at the end of the day, even on the lower lid. My only complaint is the product feels stiff and dry compared to the "Ink" gel liners. I thought I received a defective pot, but when I reordered it, I experienced the same texture. The shimmer gels are definitely less moist than the inks.

A friend asked how Black Mauve compared to Caviar, so I swatched them for her on the back of my hand (fair, cool NW15). In both images Black Mauve is on the left and Caviar Ink is on the right.

With flash:

Full Size Image

No flash:

Full Size Image

(Oops, I assumed a link to my stored pictures would display an image. A copy > paste into a browser address bar works. If anyone knows how to insert the actual image, please feel free to message me.)

on 5/10/2010 9:12:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I agree with the other reviewers that the color and texture and durability are fantastic, when the product is new. It takes me a while to use up a product like this since I like to wear different eyeliners depending upon my mood that day. I purchased two shades, Black Mauve and Chocolate, and I loved the way they make my blue eyes pop. I also bought the brush suggested by the SA but quickly found it too difficut to use (I prefer the MAC brush with the angled bristles, forget the number).

My only complaint is that both pots of eyeliner dried out on me within 6 mos. I tried storing them upside down, but it was too late. I had to toss them when there was still a fair amount of product in them. I did try the trick of adding a few drops of rubbing alcohol to rehydrate them, but that only lasts for a few days.

I have found the MAC gel eyeliners to stay fresher longer.

on 5/5/2010 9:57:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

Bobbi brown's gel liners to me are the creme de la creme in the cosmetic market. I have tried gel liners from various brands such as Shu Uemura and to me Bobbi brown has the best color selection and the best texture. I recently acquired this after hunting high and low for it. This shade is supposed to be d/c where I live so I was thrilled to be able to find one. Upon swatching it on my arm, I was the most gorgeous black + brown + dusty violet. It just reminds of the color of a moth's wings. =) It belongs to the same family as NARS Ashes to ashes, Shu Uemura e/s ME brown 850. Today I wore it with NARS Ashes to ashes on the lids and NARS bali on the outer v and then paired it with this liner. I was blown away! Its the most perfect combo ever! I usually don't wear black during the day as black can look harsh. I hope Bobbi brown doesn't d/c this because I love it and I will definitely repurchase this when i run out.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Nice eggplant shade on. I deliberated buying this after applying, it wasn't instant love. I had on Espresso and removed to try this on. Espresso is such a lovely rich shade and this is certainly lighter. That said, this gave a much softer eye and allowed for a more dramatic cat-eye to be made without looking harsh, whereas with Espresso I make a smaller cat-eye. This looked very pretty on the sunny day, the slight purple hints made my green eyes stand out instead of competing with my eyeliner. I have to still line a thin line along the lash line with either Espresso or my Clinique True Black, but this makes a nice cat-eye that stays put relatively well. I was looking for a neutral and found this at the CCO, though I was debating buying Sepia at full price. The shimmer in this makes it more wearable and more flattering, IMO, than the matte shades. Would repurchase only because it's the most flattering purple I've found to date and it truly makes my own eye color stand out.

on 10/17/2009 4:51:00 PM

If I could only have one BB gel liner, Black Mauve would be it. It is not harsh as black, yet give you the definition you need. I have small eyes and after I put this on, they pop and deepen. LOVE!

on 10/23/2008 1:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

**HG PRODUCT!!!***

Where has this eyeliner been all my life - I might not have spent my 20's loathing eyeliner if I'd had the Bobbi Brown gel stuff at hand.

My coloring: Anne Hathaway-esque brunette with brown eyes and cool PPP skin (MUFE HD 110). This shade makes my dark brown eyes pop and brings out the amber and gold glints in them. The purplish-brown color is soft enough for day and very flattering.

The formula goes on well (with eyeliner brush) and dries quickly. The packaging is good quality, too.

This stuff is expensive but well worth it. Love how it looks and goes on!