Bobbi Brown longwear gel liner in black mauve

Filtered by skin type : Oily
Bobbi Brown longwear gel liner in black mauve
longwear gel liner in black mauveBobbi Brown Black Mauve e/lBobbi Brown Black Mauve ShimmerBlack Mauve hip Eggplant Magnetic Fieldslongwear gel liner in black mauve

4.5

on 10/5/2011 2:55:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Intros first: I've tried mac fluidline in blacktrack and make up forever waterproof eyeshadow so i guess my review might count for some. The reason why I bought this is because it is safe for waterlines whereas the previous two were not really intended for waterline use. Is it long wearing? Yes, only if you have a primer underneath. Does it give you raccoon eyes? Nope. it doesnt melt that way. Is it pigmented? fairly so, but it is supremely matte in nature. The texture is just right. Not too creamy and not too hard. WHich makes me wonder if it will dry out in the long run...

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Black Mauve Shimmer is an alternative to buying a basic black. However, on me, none of the mauve/plum color showed through. After it dried on my lid, it looked like a dull black/grey. I thought it would have more of an eggplant tone; as it looks in the pot. If you have green/hazel eyes, you are better off with Chocolate Shimmer. Love that one.

on 8/10/2008 4:46:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

Compared to the Black Ink and Chocolate Shimmer that I have, Black Mauve seems to have a softer, creamier texture. It also has a tendency to go on a little sheerer than the black and chocolate. The chocolate is the exact same color as my eyes, and is a warm brown with bronzey shimmers. The black mauve is more like a gray+brown+plummy undertones, maybe slightly more shimmery than the Chocolate. In the pot both look similar except the BM has a cooler undertone, swatched on the hand the plummy-gray tones of BM are more obvious, and on the eyes you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference, except that Chocolate just looks better matched with warmer/brown shadows, and BM is better matched to cool/neutrals e.g. taupes, grays, plums. As per usual for me, they are easy and smooth to apply and last all day. Note that in Malaysia, Black Mauve is limited edition; it may be LE in other countries as well.

EDIT: Today I am wearing a simple neutral office friendly eye... Bare Canvas Paint as a base, swirled the solid and marbled side of MAC Polar Opposite together and applied sheerly on the lower lid, and BB Black Mauve to line, extended out slightly beyond the natural lash line. The look is soft and quite sultry but not too dramatic for day. As far as I'm concerned Black Mauve and Polar Opposite were made for each other!

Continued for pics. I included MAC Magnetic Fields since I saw some references on the board that it was similar to BM (personally I don't think it is, BM is clearly grayer and cooler). Swatched on NC30.

continued >>

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I own and love all of the Bobbi Brown shimmer gel liners so when I saw this I had to buy it. It's a true blackened plum with a hint of shimmer - just enough to keep the color from looking flat and dull. It leans to the cool side so I think it looks best paired with silvers/greys, purples and icy pinks. I was pleasantly surprised to see that this showed up on my lids the way it looks in the pot. It's a great alternative to black liner (which can look harsh during the day) or your run-of-the-mill grey, and since it's subtle it would look good next to any eye color and skin tone.

on 7/15/2008 5:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

At first when i read the name black mauve, i was hoping it wouldn't be too harsh and unfortunately didn't get a chance to check out from the counters.

Luckily there was a free ship code from BB and quickly ordered it with their free samples :)

I'm so glad i did, i used to be a BB gel eyeliner basher, i did prefer MAC's fl since it was creamier and the BB i had were dryer.

But I loved that this was creamier than other BB gel liner's ive owned and now am a fan of it. :)

included pic of black mauve taken in direct sunlight

continued >>

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

When I first saw the product pic on Neiman's website I was already sold on this color; so waited around for free shipping.

Fortunately this is a permanent e/l :) yeah, i was misinformed by a nordstrom's SA who said this was LE for their annual sale.

This is a beautiful color (dark purple with gold shimmer); and a great creamy finish; which i was very surprised and pleased with.

I've owned the Violet ink and Ivy Shimmer ink and both were very dry in comparison to my fluidlines. Returned Ivy because it was too dark for me.

I have dark brown eyes and NC35 skintone.

Unfortunately I'm still learning how to apply cream/ gel eyeliners. So I'm trying to practice on it (finding the right brush) and then i'm set :)

on 7/12/2008 12:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I prefer MAC fluidlines to BB Shimmer Ink gel liners because they have better texture, they don't dry out as fast in general and they're easier to apply. That said, I need to rave about the vast array of colors that BB has. MAC is falling behind in my opinion, in the shade dept. MAC has one, count it, one brown in their regular line. And if you blink you might miss out on their Limited Edition fluidlines. I usually wear MAC Blitz and Glitz and recently traded in BB Chocolate Shimmer for MAC Graphic Brown because they're the same shade, but MAC's version is creamier.
I bought this new Black Mauve because it's a gorgeous cross between cool brown and black, with some eggplant thrown in. It's a cool-toned shade that works really well with my superdark hair and eyes. I will probably be using this one whenever I do a neutral or cool eye. It has subtle, superfine shimmer and is extremely well pigmented. A softer, less harsh alternative to black, and a more exciting, interesting alternative to brown. NC35-37 MMM. Oh, and this is permanent, according to Livechat. continued >>

on 7/9/2008 6:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Love this product and this shade. Dark purple with golden particles. beautiful with my green eyes-- really make them pop. Another Great Season by Bobbi!