Bobbi Brown longwear gel liner in black mauve

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Bobbi Brown longwear gel liner in black mauve
longwear gel liner in black mauveBobbi Brown Black Mauve e/lBobbi Brown Black Mauve ShimmerBlack Mauve hip Eggplant Magnetic Fieldslongwear gel liner in black mauve

4.2

HG! Like all Bobbi Brown gel eyeliners, this is long lasting, stays put, and is easy to apply. But this one is by far my favorite. I had been using Caviar Ink previously, which I liked. However, this one is by far a better fit for those that are fair with lighter eyes (especially, as many reviewers mention, green eyes).

If you are worried that this will appear "purple" as I was, as I tend to work in a conservative field, worry not! It does not look purple to me once on. But it does have some purple in it, which gives it a very soft black look, which will bring out your eyecolor and not look as harsh as black eyeliner. I've been looking for something like this for quite a while, but I dislike brown eyeliner and caviar ink still was pretty dark. Also the "shimmer" it contains is very slight and definitely fine for everyday. I do not like applying it with the Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner brush. I actually prefer my hard angled eyeliner brush that Sephora sells---it seems to work better for me.

The only con with this: like all the Bobbi Brown gel eyeliners, it dries out easily. Really easily. I heard some advice to store upside down and this seems to help (condensation keeps it moist). Make sure the cap is on tightly at all times. This particular one is drier than the other "ink" eyeliners (like Caviar Ink). In fact, when I first got it, I took it back thinking I had gotten a dried up defective one. When the new one I got was exactly the same, I realized that this one is just drier than the others. It must be the shimmer factor. Still, it applies well. I wish Bobbi Brown sold less product (for less $) since some of it will probably dry up before I can use it. The YouTube clips that say how to revive these gel eyeliners only have worked so/so for me on the Bobbi Brown eyeliners.

Regardless, this is a great buy. Glad I had checked out the reviews for this one.

on 3/13/2011 5:03:00 AM

This is a lovely taupe liner that is ever so slightly metallic. It leaves little to be desired as an eyeshadow base, or an eyeliner by itself.

It's my only colored gel liner that I find myself reaching for. Most of the time I use this as an alternative to black liner, and I never understood why. I went back to my usual black liner in denial that it looked good.

But since then, I took a peek at Ellen Page's makeup which I adore. I realized that some of her beautiful smoky brown eyes had a taupe/brown liner along with shadow and I realized how wonderful it looked, and that I had something just like that in my stash.

The staying power is phenomenal. Sometimes I also use this as a liner, then pack on a colored shadow (such as an olive (sumptuous olive to bring out the green), and various other shadows such as smut, club etc.)

It's one of the few times that my liner doesn't smudge from my bottom eye corner. Lovely.

The price is a bit steep, but this has stayed creamy and flake-free for over a year, unlike my MAC fluidlines, and other gel liners. Love it!

This is an amazing shade, I am a bit of a gel liner addict, mostly because once they are on thatís it no re-touching - brilliant! I love purple shades and find they complement my green eyes a lot, this the dark side of purple and it is so flattering itís a great alternative to black its not so dark, and being fair I find it difficult to get away with wearing black without looking harsh.
Love this so much that I bought one in reserve but, the pot will last ages and ages you use such a small, small amount.

on 2/25/2011 1:55:00 PM

I like BB gel liners in general, I have four of them, but this is the colour I reach for most often. I first tried it when a makeup artist paired it with BB cream eye shadow in Sand Dollar and they look terrific together. It is a 'soft' black, not too harsh and not too purple. It is very flattering to green eyes.

on 2/11/2011 10:32:00 AM

Beautiful, gorgeous eyeliner. So many purple liners are too bright, too garish, or lean too far into berry/eggplant. This is the perfect deep violet-black, with just enough color to highlight your eyes without looking too 80's. I have green-blue eyes and this looks riveting on them, but I think it would be a flattering shade for anyone.

on 5/7/2010 11:26:00 AM

I've had this eyeliner for over a year, and can't believe that I haven't written a review for it! In the time I've had it, it has stayed fresh and has not dried out at all. While more expensive than drugstore brands like L'Oreal, the fact that it stays soft and fresh makes the higher price worth it for me.

If you have green eyes, it is a wonderful color that just makes your eyes pop. Best of all, this BB eyeliner lasts all day and does not budge! It's my go-to eyeliner for my 12-hour work days. In fact, last month, I worked 12 hours and then headed to a concert afterwards; when I got home past midnight, this eyeliner was still perfectly in place!

I also have this in the pure black color, but that one can sometimes feel a bit harsh on me to wear to work. Black Mauve Shimmer is a bit softer, but still dark enough to add contrast to your eyes. The shimmer is very subtle, and this is such a versatile color that it goes with almost all of my eyeshadow colors.

I'd been using the BB eyeliner brush with this, but recently picked up the Sonia Kashuk bent brush from Target, and love the SK brush even more -- and it was only $7! I usually dab the brush in the pot, smear a bit on the back of my hand to get the globs off of the brush, and then apply, dipping back into the smudge on my hand to add more to the brush. The MUA I bought this from said that this was the easiest way to apply it, and it works great.

I will definitely re-purchase this if I run out!

on 5/5/2010 9:57:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

Bobbi brown's gel liners to me are the creme de la creme in the cosmetic market. I have tried gel liners from various brands such as Shu Uemura and to me Bobbi brown has the best color selection and the best texture. I recently acquired this after hunting high and low for it. This shade is supposed to be d/c where I live so I was thrilled to be able to find one. Upon swatching it on my arm, I was the most gorgeous black + brown + dusty violet. It just reminds of the color of a moth's wings. =) It belongs to the same family as NARS Ashes to ashes, Shu Uemura e/s ME brown 850. Today I wore it with NARS Ashes to ashes on the lids and NARS bali on the outer v and then paired it with this liner. I was blown away! Its the most perfect combo ever! I usually don't wear black during the day as black can look harsh. I hope Bobbi brown doesn't d/c this because I love it and I will definitely repurchase this when i run out.

This is my second time purchasing it. It looks like a silvery grey on. There is a hint of mauve in it.

Generally, I prefer MAC's gel liner to BB's. MAC's last a bit longer on me. I have oily lids and the only way I can get this gel to last is if I wear it with UDPP underneath the shadow first (which I almost always do). If I want to wear it by itself to add definition to a naked eye though, it doesn't last for more than an hour or two. I think it's more a problem with my lids rather than with the product.

The color is a plummy black...nice for those with green or hazel eyes. Looks great with my beloved Style Snob.

I had high hopes for Black Mauve, having already owned Graphite Shimmer, Chocolate Shimmer, Espresso, and Bronze Shimmer Inks. It's really pretty in the pot, and even swatched on my hand, but this one is thinner in consistency than the other gel liners I own, and just doesn't really make an opaque line. Since I don't like to retrace my eyeliner as that makes it thicker and "messy" on my little bitty Asian lids, it just doesn't quite do what I want. But it's still pretty, and I'll keep it and wear it with lighter cool toned eyeshadows for a daytime look, but in hindsight, I could have lived without it.