Bobbi Brown longwear gel liner in black mauve

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Bobbi Brown longwear gel liner in black mauve
longwear gel liner in black mauveBobbi Brown Black Mauve e/lBobbi Brown Black Mauve ShimmerBlack Mauve hip Eggplant Magnetic Fieldslongwear gel liner in black mauve

4.3

on 10/7/2011 7:32:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This is a great cool brown colour and doesn't look too harsh on my pale eyes and skin. It lasts all day and into the night. A perfect cool brown gel liner for people who are frightened of gel liner!

on 10/5/2011 2:55:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Intros first: I've tried mac fluidline in blacktrack and make up forever waterproof eyeshadow so i guess my review might count for some. The reason why I bought this is because it is safe for waterlines whereas the previous two were not really intended for waterline use. Is it long wearing? Yes, only if you have a primer underneath. Does it give you raccoon eyes? Nope. it doesnt melt that way. Is it pigmented? fairly so, but it is supremely matte in nature. The texture is just right. Not too creamy and not too hard. WHich makes me wonder if it will dry out in the long run...

on 3/13/2011 5:03:00 AM

This is a lovely taupe liner that is ever so slightly metallic. It leaves little to be desired as an eyeshadow base, or an eyeliner by itself.

It's my only colored gel liner that I find myself reaching for. Most of the time I use this as an alternative to black liner, and I never understood why. I went back to my usual black liner in denial that it looked good.

But since then, I took a peek at Ellen Page's makeup which I adore. I realized that some of her beautiful smoky brown eyes had a taupe/brown liner along with shadow and I realized how wonderful it looked, and that I had something just like that in my stash.

The staying power is phenomenal. Sometimes I also use this as a liner, then pack on a colored shadow (such as an olive (sumptuous olive to bring out the green), and various other shadows such as smut, club etc.)

It's one of the few times that my liner doesn't smudge from my bottom eye corner. Lovely.

The price is a bit steep, but this has stayed creamy and flake-free for over a year, unlike my MAC fluidlines, and other gel liners. Love it!

This is an amazing shade, I am a bit of a gel liner addict, mostly because once they are on thatís it no re-touching - brilliant! I love purple shades and find they complement my green eyes a lot, this the dark side of purple and it is so flattering itís a great alternative to black its not so dark, and being fair I find it difficult to get away with wearing black without looking harsh.
Love this so much that I bought one in reserve but, the pot will last ages and ages you use such a small, small amount.

on 2/25/2011 1:55:00 PM

I like BB gel liners in general, I have four of them, but this is the colour I reach for most often. I first tried it when a makeup artist paired it with BB cream eye shadow in Sand Dollar and they look terrific together. It is a 'soft' black, not too harsh and not too purple. It is very flattering to green eyes.

on 11/18/2010 4:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

There's a lot to love about this liner. First of all, there's the color. It's just what it sounds like...a blackened mauve. More specifically, in the pot it looks sort of like a muted, darkened violet/burgundy mixture with some shimmer thrown in for depth. On my eyes, it functions much the way taupe eyeshadow works for most of us...it works with just about every neutral combination I can come up with. Since the liner itself is so neutral, it doesn't compete with my shadows; rather, it enhances my eyes. The color is also very buildable. Some people have called it sheer, but I disagree; rather, it goes on opaque but subtly on the first swipe and becomes more vivid on the second go around. However, because the formula is so smooth and silky, there is no flaking or chunkiness when you apply two coats.

Which brings us to the texture. This gel liner is slightly firmer than others I've tried, including MAC, yet it's still silky and satiny. My brush glides across it, picking up just the right amount of product. I find that with a lot of gel liners, they're so soft that my brush drags in the liner and grabs too much product, leaving globs on the brush (or my eyelid if I'm not paying attention). With Black Mauve Shimmer Ink, I can just swipe my brush across the surface of the product a few times to load my brush, and I'm good to go. In addition to that, it's very easy to work with. I can create a very defined line or I can smoke out the look with no problem. In addition, the liner is so silky, it glides across my lids with absolutely no pulling whatsoever, which makes it much easier to get a super-fine line.

Finally, there is the lasting power. This liner stays put! I don't normally have too much problem with migrating liner, but I do lose it at the outer lower corners of my eyes every day. It always looks as if the outer edges of my liner just decided to run south on me. With Black Mauve, I NEVER have that problem.

Overall, I've been really impressed. I plan to go get a couple of the other shades very soon. Of all the gel liners I've tried thus far, this is definitely the most user-friendly, with a good array of colors and great wearability, as well as the ability to stay put all day. Highly recommend.

on 10/30/2010 3:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I actually returned this eyeliner (unused) a few weeks ago because, even though it gets good reviews and sounds so pretty in theory, when I opened the lid I saw only a weird dingy color that was almost impossible to identify. Blech. Given my fickleness, and fear that I am missing out on something, I recently purchased it again and this time I decided to actually try it on.

As I was applying it, I felt like my previous impression had been justified. Nothing special, in fact, it took a bit of work to even make it show up, as the shimmer gel eyeliners tend to be more sheer and not as dense as their matte ink sisters. I dipped a MAC 212 flatliner brush into the gel and tightlined the upper lids and then used what was left on the brush to tightline the lower lids, just at the roots of the lashes, staying well back from the water line and tear ducts.

I was afraid the mauve would redden my eyes, but those fears were unfounded. Black Mauve is a lovely bronze with a whisper of deep plum and the barest hint of gold shimmer. It makes for a very natural look with my fair skin and green-grey-blue eyes. I believe Black Mauve would work equally well on both cool and warm skin tones and all eye colors because of the color's complexity.

As with all of Bobbi Brown long-wear products, it stays put until I remove it at the end of the day, even on the lower lid. My only complaint is the product feels stiff and dry compared to the "Ink" gel liners. I thought I received a defective pot, but when I reordered it, I experienced the same texture. The shimmer gels are definitely less moist than the inks.

A friend asked how Black Mauve compared to Caviar, so I swatched them for her on the back of my hand (fair, cool NW15). In both images Black Mauve is on the left and Caviar Ink is on the right.

With flash:

Full Size Image

No flash:

Full Size Image

(Oops, I assumed a link to my stored pictures would display an image. A copy > paste into a browser address bar works. If anyone knows how to insert the actual image, please feel free to message me.)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I love this product! The color black mauve is amazing! and my gosh this last forever.. I put it on in the morning with BB eye liner brush and its still perfect on me late in the evening and probably through the night too (I cleaned it off in the evening so I dont know if it lasts more that what 12-14 hours, it lasted so long on me.. ).
When I use it I get complinets how nice my make up is.
I just loooove this. Im a big BB fan!

on 5/10/2010 9:12:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I agree with the other reviewers that the color and texture and durability are fantastic, when the product is new. It takes me a while to use up a product like this since I like to wear different eyeliners depending upon my mood that day. I purchased two shades, Black Mauve and Chocolate, and I loved the way they make my blue eyes pop. I also bought the brush suggested by the SA but quickly found it too difficut to use (I prefer the MAC brush with the angled bristles, forget the number).

My only complaint is that both pots of eyeliner dried out on me within 6 mos. I tried storing them upside down, but it was too late. I had to toss them when there was still a fair amount of product in them. I did try the trick of adding a few drops of rubbing alcohol to rehydrate them, but that only lasts for a few days.

I have found the MAC gel eyeliners to stay fresher longer.

on 5/7/2010 11:26:00 AM

I've had this eyeliner for over a year, and can't believe that I haven't written a review for it! In the time I've had it, it has stayed fresh and has not dried out at all. While more expensive than drugstore brands like L'Oreal, the fact that it stays soft and fresh makes the higher price worth it for me.

If you have green eyes, it is a wonderful color that just makes your eyes pop. Best of all, this BB eyeliner lasts all day and does not budge! It's my go-to eyeliner for my 12-hour work days. In fact, last month, I worked 12 hours and then headed to a concert afterwards; when I got home past midnight, this eyeliner was still perfectly in place!

I also have this in the pure black color, but that one can sometimes feel a bit harsh on me to wear to work. Black Mauve Shimmer is a bit softer, but still dark enough to add contrast to your eyes. The shimmer is very subtle, and this is such a versatile color that it goes with almost all of my eyeshadow colors.

I'd been using the BB eyeliner brush with this, but recently picked up the Sonia Kashuk bent brush from Target, and love the SK brush even more -- and it was only $7! I usually dab the brush in the pot, smear a bit on the back of my hand to get the globs off of the brush, and then apply, dipping back into the smudge on my hand to add more to the brush. The MUA I bought this from said that this was the easiest way to apply it, and it works great.

I will definitely re-purchase this if I run out!