Bobbi Brown longwear gel liner in black mauve

Bobbi Brown longwear gel liner in black mauve
longwear gel liner in black mauveBobbi Brown Black Mauve e/lBobbi Brown Black Mauve ShimmerBlack Mauve hip Eggplant Magnetic Fieldslongwear gel liner in black mauve

4.3

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I give this gel liner five lipsticks because I love Bobbi Brown gel liners. I said no to re-purchase because it's not that much different from the Black Scotch gel liner; it's a smidgen lighter but the difference isn't visible enough to warrant buying the Black Mauve.
Black Mauve is more grey toned in the jar but when I apply it, it's a softer version of the Black Scotch and a bit darker than Chocolate Shimmer.
I'll still use it up but I'll probably use up the other shades quicker.
The staying power is supreme as I would expect from Bobbi Brown's liners.

on 1/19/2015 12:51:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a plum/bronze with GREY undertones. There isn't much black in it at all which is why I picked it up. We're all moving to a low contrast eye these days and this fits the bill perfectly. (For reference I used this with BB metallic taupe on the lid and heather in the crease - a beautiful anti-kardashian look). The colour is amazing on blue eyes, amping up my natural colouring considerably while the liner itself sits in the background. Isn't that what we are all trying to achieve? The formula is creamier and easier to apply that the other BB gel liners. I resurrected using the BB gel liner brush which I hated but since this formula is forgiving that brush manages to get a nice look and a very smooth application quickly. It smudges out nicely as a shadow/liner too, looking so subtle under the lower lashes. The shimmer is minimal but just enough to keep it from looking flat.

HG! Like all Bobbi Brown gel eyeliners, this is long lasting, stays put, and is easy to apply. But this one is by far my favorite. I had been using Caviar Ink previously, which I liked. However, this one is by far a better fit for those that are fair with lighter eyes (especially, as many reviewers mention, green eyes).

If you are worried that this will appear "purple" as I was, as I tend to work in a conservative field, worry not! It does not look purple to me once on. But it does have some purple in it, which gives it a very soft black look, which will bring out your eyecolor and not look as harsh as black eyeliner. I've been looking for something like this for quite a while, but I dislike brown eyeliner and caviar ink still was pretty dark. Also the "shimmer" it contains is very slight and definitely fine for everyday. I do not like applying it with the Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner brush. I actually prefer my hard angled eyeliner brush that Sephora sells---it seems to work better for me.

The only con with this: like all the Bobbi Brown gel eyeliners, it dries out easily. Really easily. I heard some advice to store upside down and this seems to help (condensation keeps it moist). Make sure the cap is on tightly at all times. This particular one is drier than the other "ink" eyeliners (like Caviar Ink). In fact, when I first got it, I took it back thinking I had gotten a dried up defective one. When the new one I got was exactly the same, I realized that this one is just drier than the others. It must be the shimmer factor. Still, it applies well. I wish Bobbi Brown sold less product (for less $) since some of it will probably dry up before I can use it. The YouTube clips that say how to revive these gel eyeliners only have worked so/so for me on the Bobbi Brown eyeliners.

Regardless, this is a great buy. Glad I had checked out the reviews for this one.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

What an amazing color. It is my staple to replace black as it DOES come out quite dark/black, but with just a different undertone. It does not look like brown or grey and makes just as much a statement as black, but has something special. And of all the gel liners, Bobbi's are still the best.

on 8/31/2011 9:43:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

A great day time black. Can't really notice shimmers, looks wonderful. A must for hazel eyes and green eyes.

on 8/16/2011 11:05:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Neutral

This is the best eyeliner I have ever owned!! The color is a beautiful soft blackish/brownish/burgundyish color. It goes on so smooth and perfect and lasts all day without fading, flaking, or wearing off. I have bright green eyes and this seems to be a perfect compliment. It goes well with any color of eye shadow. I'm not sure about the "shimmer" effect. I can't really notice much, but then I don't have the flat colors to compare it to. It washes out of my brushes easily with a little soap and warm water. I like the pot ok, no complaints on packaging. This pot will last forever. It doesn't seem to dry out like the cheap ELF gel liners do. I will definitely purchase this again if I ever use this one up!

on 3/13/2011 5:03:00 AM

This is a lovely taupe liner that is ever so slightly metallic. It leaves little to be desired as an eyeshadow base, or an eyeliner by itself.

It's my only colored gel liner that I find myself reaching for. Most of the time I use this as an alternative to black liner, and I never understood why. I went back to my usual black liner in denial that it looked good.

But since then, I took a peek at Ellen Page's makeup which I adore. I realized that some of her beautiful smoky brown eyes had a taupe/brown liner along with shadow and I realized how wonderful it looked, and that I had something just like that in my stash.

The staying power is phenomenal. Sometimes I also use this as a liner, then pack on a colored shadow (such as an olive (sumptuous olive to bring out the green), and various other shadows such as smut, club etc.)

It's one of the few times that my liner doesn't smudge from my bottom eye corner. Lovely.

The price is a bit steep, but this has stayed creamy and flake-free for over a year, unlike my MAC fluidlines, and other gel liners. Love it!

This is an amazing shade, I am a bit of a gel liner addict, mostly because once they are on thatís it no re-touching - brilliant! I love purple shades and find they complement my green eyes a lot, this the dark side of purple and it is so flattering itís a great alternative to black its not so dark, and being fair I find it difficult to get away with wearing black without looking harsh.
Love this so much that I bought one in reserve but, the pot will last ages and ages you use such a small, small amount.

on 2/25/2011 1:55:00 PM

I like BB gel liners in general, I have four of them, but this is the colour I reach for most often. I first tried it when a makeup artist paired it with BB cream eye shadow in Sand Dollar and they look terrific together. It is a 'soft' black, not too harsh and not too purple. It is very flattering to green eyes.

on 2/11/2011 10:32:00 AM

Beautiful, gorgeous eyeliner. So many purple liners are too bright, too garish, or lean too far into berry/eggplant. This is the perfect deep violet-black, with just enough color to highlight your eyes without looking too 80's. I have green-blue eyes and this looks riveting on them, but I think it would be a flattering shade for anyone.