Bobbi Brown longwear gel liner in black mauve

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Bobbi Brown longwear gel liner in black mauve
longwear gel liner in black mauveBobbi Brown Black Mauve e/lBobbi Brown Black Mauve ShimmerBlack Mauve hip Eggplant Magnetic Fieldslongwear gel liner in black mauve

4.2

This color looks like a dark plum on me and really enhances my green eyes. I like it for something different then regular old brown or black. Bobbi's gel liners wear really well--no smudging, creasing, cracking or fading. I was impressed as this was my first bobbi gel liner. I typically wear clinique but that sometimes cracks off on the outside corners and this does not. Love it. Great color for something different and fun. Appropriate for day or night.

EDIT: I've literally used this twice--the color is kinda boring to me. Wish I could return this.

Generally, I prefer MAC's gel liner to BB's. MAC's last a bit longer on me. I have oily lids and the only way I can get this gel to last is if I wear it with UDPP underneath the shadow first (which I almost always do). If I want to wear it by itself to add definition to a naked eye though, it doesn't last for more than an hour or two. I think it's more a problem with my lids rather than with the product.

The color is a plummy black...nice for those with green or hazel eyes. Looks great with my beloved Style Snob.

I had high hopes for Black Mauve, having already owned Graphite Shimmer, Chocolate Shimmer, Espresso, and Bronze Shimmer Inks. It's really pretty in the pot, and even swatched on my hand, but this one is thinner in consistency than the other gel liners I own, and just doesn't really make an opaque line. Since I don't like to retrace my eyeliner as that makes it thicker and "messy" on my little bitty Asian lids, it just doesn't quite do what I want. But it's still pretty, and I'll keep it and wear it with lighter cool toned eyeshadows for a daytime look, but in hindsight, I could have lived without it.

on 8/19/2008 3:40:00 PM

I'm rather disappointed with this eyeliner.The color is more like a dark brown with a small amount of simmer in it.Very creamy so a little hard to draw a straight line with and I use the Bobbie Brown eyeliner brush which has firm bristles.HIP gel eyeliners are half the price and just about as good as Bobbi Brown and Mac's.

on 7/29/2008 7:11:00 PM

I'm a Fluidlines fan, like many others who've reviewed Black Mauve (BM). I was drawn to BM because black e/l usually looks too harsh on me and I was looking for an alternative to the browns I usually wear. So far, I like it, but wouldn't consider it a must-have item.

The color is what was kind of a letdown--although it looks a lot softer than basic black, the eggplant shimmer is barely noticeable after I apply it. It reminds me in a way of MAC's Beauty Marked shadow--gorgeous in the pan/pot, but more of a soft black when applied. It is, however, a nice alternative to black or brown. If you're looking for a more purple/eggplant/mauve e/l, it's probably better to look at MAC's Macroviolet.

The formula is nice though--this goes on smoothly and wears well. I can't say it lasts all day, but it lasts about 8 hours on my oily eyelids.

While this wasn't HG, I'm willing to give other BB gel liners a shot based on this one. I like this, but don't love it.

Black Mauve is very boring to me. Then again, I like more vavava-voom colors, like MAC Blue Peep, but I thought, hey, maybe I should get something more tame and lady-like. I guess this fits the bill, in all it's shimmery taupey gray glory. Yawn. I see no mauve in this, and I tried to find the mauve in there, I looked and looked, I swear. Nope, not a smidge o'mauve to me. Oh well, I'll stick to my purples, blues and greens.

on 7/3/2008 8:08:00 PM

I really wanted to like this, as I have about 10 of them and just love the formula. It's almost a greyed down black plum w/ a little shimmer. I can see how it would make green eyes really stand out since there is a little plumminess to it. I have light brown eyes and it does absolutely nothing for them... I returned it to NM.

I am a fan of BB gel eyeliners, as I find them more forgiving to work with than others. For reference, my favorite is Bronze Shimmer, and I am MAC NC30; Revlon Fresh Beige, dark eyes and hair. On me, Black Mauve is much more like a muted black/dark cool gray than anything resembling mauve. The shimmer is almost imperceptible, unlike Bronze Shimmer, which is a true shimmer. This is a very pretty understated neutral eyeliner, but nothing special. I would not repurchase.

This is my second time purchasing it. It looks like a silvery grey on. There is a hint of mauve in it.

on 12/30/2008 7:50:00 PM

I'm a fan of BB's gel liners compared to MACs. I have violet, Bronze shimmer, and this one. I don't often wear black liner because I have dark brows and lashes and it can be "too much." Black Mauve is not harsh on me though. It is a deep plumish color that looks great with every shadow I've paired it with-including BBs stonewashed nudes palette. It has great staying power, in fact my eye makeup remover usually leaves a bit of this behind. Overall, great product and great color.