Bobbi Brown longwear gel liner in black mauve

Bobbi Brown longwear gel liner in black mauve
longwear gel liner in black mauveBobbi Brown Black Mauve e/lBobbi Brown Black Mauve ShimmerBlack Mauve hip Eggplant Magnetic Fieldslongwear gel liner in black mauve

4.3

on 8/10/2008 4:46:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

Compared to the Black Ink and Chocolate Shimmer that I have, Black Mauve seems to have a softer, creamier texture. It also has a tendency to go on a little sheerer than the black and chocolate. The chocolate is the exact same color as my eyes, and is a warm brown with bronzey shimmers. The black mauve is more like a gray+brown+plummy undertones, maybe slightly more shimmery than the Chocolate. In the pot both look similar except the BM has a cooler undertone, swatched on the hand the plummy-gray tones of BM are more obvious, and on the eyes you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference, except that Chocolate just looks better matched with warmer/brown shadows, and BM is better matched to cool/neutrals e.g. taupes, grays, plums. As per usual for me, they are easy and smooth to apply and last all day. Note that in Malaysia, Black Mauve is limited edition; it may be LE in other countries as well.

EDIT: Today I am wearing a simple neutral office friendly eye... Bare Canvas Paint as a base, swirled the solid and marbled side of MAC Polar Opposite together and applied sheerly on the lower lid, and BB Black Mauve to line, extended out slightly beyond the natural lash line. The look is soft and quite sultry but not too dramatic for day. As far as I'm concerned Black Mauve and Polar Opposite were made for each other!

Continued for pics. I included MAC Magnetic Fields since I saw some references on the board that it was similar to BM (personally I don't think it is, BM is clearly grayer and cooler). Swatched on NC30.

continued >>

on 7/8/2008 11:23:00 PM

Introduced in 2008 with the Mauve Look for Fall.

Product - Black Mauve Shimmer Ink is a heathered plum shade with subtle golden shimmer. This shade is great with my brown eyes and AAB/NC25 coloring - not too brown, not too purple/violet, not too grey/ashy, and no red undertones. Not sparkly (good), but not matte or flat either (boring!). Nice alternative to basic brown or basic black liner, without being flashy either. As with BB's other gel eyeliners, it has excellent staying power on my oily lids.

Comparisons - Black Mauve is not a true brown like BB Sepia Ink; not as vibrant as BB Violet Ink; not as grey as BB Granite Ink or MAC Fluidline in Lithograph; not as purple as MAC Fluidline in Macroviolet; and not quite as dark or rich as true eggplant purple.

Overall - If you love gel liners and have brown eyes, this is a great color to have. An impulse purchase I would gladly make again. continued >>

This is the new gel liner that came out with the Mauve Palette. The color is hard to describe, but I'll try. It's a dark greyed plum shade with hints of shimmer. Softer than grey and black, cooler than brown. I can definitely see the plum when it's on.
Typical smooth application and long lasting. A great addition

I am a fan of BB gel eyeliners, as I find them more forgiving to work with than others. For reference, my favorite is Bronze Shimmer, and I am MAC NC30; Revlon Fresh Beige, dark eyes and hair. On me, Black Mauve is much more like a muted black/dark cool gray than anything resembling mauve. The shimmer is almost imperceptible, unlike Bronze Shimmer, which is a true shimmer. This is a very pretty understated neutral eyeliner, but nothing special. I would not repurchase.

on 1/19/2015 12:51:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a plum/bronze with GREY undertones. There isn't much black in it at all which is why I picked it up. We're all moving to a low contrast eye these days and this fits the bill perfectly. (For reference I used this with BB metallic taupe on the lid and heather in the crease - a beautiful anti-kardashian look). The colour is amazing on blue eyes, amping up my natural colouring considerably while the liner itself sits in the background. Isn't that what we are all trying to achieve? The formula is creamier and easier to apply that the other BB gel liners. I resurrected using the BB gel liner brush which I hated but since this formula is forgiving that brush manages to get a nice look and a very smooth application quickly. It smudges out nicely as a shadow/liner too, looking so subtle under the lower lashes. The shimmer is minimal but just enough to keep it from looking flat.

on 10/5/2011 2:55:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Intros first: I've tried mac fluidline in blacktrack and make up forever waterproof eyeshadow so i guess my review might count for some. The reason why I bought this is because it is safe for waterlines whereas the previous two were not really intended for waterline use. Is it long wearing? Yes, only if you have a primer underneath. Does it give you raccoon eyes? Nope. it doesnt melt that way. Is it pigmented? fairly so, but it is supremely matte in nature. The texture is just right. Not too creamy and not too hard. WHich makes me wonder if it will dry out in the long run...

on 7/12/2008 12:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I prefer MAC fluidlines to BB Shimmer Ink gel liners because they have better texture, they don't dry out as fast in general and they're easier to apply. That said, I need to rave about the vast array of colors that BB has. MAC is falling behind in my opinion, in the shade dept. MAC has one, count it, one brown in their regular line. And if you blink you might miss out on their Limited Edition fluidlines. I usually wear MAC Blitz and Glitz and recently traded in BB Chocolate Shimmer for MAC Graphic Brown because they're the same shade, but MAC's version is creamier.
I bought this new Black Mauve because it's a gorgeous cross between cool brown and black, with some eggplant thrown in. It's a cool-toned shade that works really well with my superdark hair and eyes. I will probably be using this one whenever I do a neutral or cool eye. It has subtle, superfine shimmer and is extremely well pigmented. A softer, less harsh alternative to black, and a more exciting, interesting alternative to brown. NC35-37 MMM. Oh, and this is permanent, according to Livechat. continued >>

on 11/18/2010 4:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

There's a lot to love about this liner. First of all, there's the color. It's just what it sounds like...a blackened mauve. More specifically, in the pot it looks sort of like a muted, darkened violet/burgundy mixture with some shimmer thrown in for depth. On my eyes, it functions much the way taupe eyeshadow works for most of us...it works with just about every neutral combination I can come up with. Since the liner itself is so neutral, it doesn't compete with my shadows; rather, it enhances my eyes. The color is also very buildable. Some people have called it sheer, but I disagree; rather, it goes on opaque but subtly on the first swipe and becomes more vivid on the second go around. However, because the formula is so smooth and silky, there is no flaking or chunkiness when you apply two coats.

Which brings us to the texture. This gel liner is slightly firmer than others I've tried, including MAC, yet it's still silky and satiny. My brush glides across it, picking up just the right amount of product. I find that with a lot of gel liners, they're so soft that my brush drags in the liner and grabs too much product, leaving globs on the brush (or my eyelid if I'm not paying attention). With Black Mauve Shimmer Ink, I can just swipe my brush across the surface of the product a few times to load my brush, and I'm good to go. In addition to that, it's very easy to work with. I can create a very defined line or I can smoke out the look with no problem. In addition, the liner is so silky, it glides across my lids with absolutely no pulling whatsoever, which makes it much easier to get a super-fine line.

Finally, there is the lasting power. This liner stays put! I don't normally have too much problem with migrating liner, but I do lose it at the outer lower corners of my eyes every day. It always looks as if the outer edges of my liner just decided to run south on me. With Black Mauve, I NEVER have that problem.

Overall, I've been really impressed. I plan to go get a couple of the other shades very soon. Of all the gel liners I've tried thus far, this is definitely the most user-friendly, with a good array of colors and great wearability, as well as the ability to stay put all day. Highly recommend.

on 10/30/2010 3:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I actually returned this eyeliner (unused) a few weeks ago because, even though it gets good reviews and sounds so pretty in theory, when I opened the lid I saw only a weird dingy color that was almost impossible to identify. Blech. Given my fickleness, and fear that I am missing out on something, I recently purchased it again and this time I decided to actually try it on.

As I was applying it, I felt like my previous impression had been justified. Nothing special, in fact, it took a bit of work to even make it show up, as the shimmer gel eyeliners tend to be more sheer and not as dense as their matte ink sisters. I dipped a MAC 212 flatliner brush into the gel and tightlined the upper lids and then used what was left on the brush to tightline the lower lids, just at the roots of the lashes, staying well back from the water line and tear ducts.

I was afraid the mauve would redden my eyes, but those fears were unfounded. Black Mauve is a lovely bronze with a whisper of deep plum and the barest hint of gold shimmer. It makes for a very natural look with my fair skin and green-grey-blue eyes. I believe Black Mauve would work equally well on both cool and warm skin tones and all eye colors because of the color's complexity.

As with all of Bobbi Brown long-wear products, it stays put until I remove it at the end of the day, even on the lower lid. My only complaint is the product feels stiff and dry compared to the "Ink" gel liners. I thought I received a defective pot, but when I reordered it, I experienced the same texture. The shimmer gels are definitely less moist than the inks.

A friend asked how Black Mauve compared to Caviar, so I swatched them for her on the back of my hand (fair, cool NW15). In both images Black Mauve is on the left and Caviar Ink is on the right.

With flash:

Full Size Image

No flash:

Full Size Image

(Oops, I assumed a link to my stored pictures would display an image. A copy > paste into a browser address bar works. If anyone knows how to insert the actual image, please feel free to message me.)

on 5/7/2010 11:26:00 AM

I've had this eyeliner for over a year, and can't believe that I haven't written a review for it! In the time I've had it, it has stayed fresh and has not dried out at all. While more expensive than drugstore brands like L'Oreal, the fact that it stays soft and fresh makes the higher price worth it for me.

If you have green eyes, it is a wonderful color that just makes your eyes pop. Best of all, this BB eyeliner lasts all day and does not budge! It's my go-to eyeliner for my 12-hour work days. In fact, last month, I worked 12 hours and then headed to a concert afterwards; when I got home past midnight, this eyeliner was still perfectly in place!

I also have this in the pure black color, but that one can sometimes feel a bit harsh on me to wear to work. Black Mauve Shimmer is a bit softer, but still dark enough to add contrast to your eyes. The shimmer is very subtle, and this is such a versatile color that it goes with almost all of my eyeshadow colors.

I'd been using the BB eyeliner brush with this, but recently picked up the Sonia Kashuk bent brush from Target, and love the SK brush even more -- and it was only $7! I usually dab the brush in the pot, smear a bit on the back of my hand to get the globs off of the brush, and then apply, dipping back into the smudge on my hand to add more to the brush. The MUA I bought this from said that this was the easiest way to apply it, and it works great.

I will definitely re-purchase this if I run out!