Bobbi Brown longwear gel liner in black mauve

Filtered by skin type : Combination age: 30-35
Bobbi Brown longwear gel liner in black mauve
longwear gel liner in black mauveBobbi Brown Black Mauve e/lBobbi Brown Black Mauve ShimmerBlack Mauve hip Eggplant Magnetic Fieldslongwear gel liner in black mauve

3.4

HG! Like all Bobbi Brown gel eyeliners, this is long lasting, stays put, and is easy to apply. But this one is by far my favorite. I had been using Caviar Ink previously, which I liked. However, this one is by far a better fit for those that are fair with lighter eyes (especially, as many reviewers mention, green eyes).

If you are worried that this will appear "purple" as I was, as I tend to work in a conservative field, worry not! It does not look purple to me once on. But it does have some purple in it, which gives it a very soft black look, which will bring out your eyecolor and not look as harsh as black eyeliner. I've been looking for something like this for quite a while, but I dislike brown eyeliner and caviar ink still was pretty dark. Also the "shimmer" it contains is very slight and definitely fine for everyday. I do not like applying it with the Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner brush. I actually prefer my hard angled eyeliner brush that Sephora sells---it seems to work better for me.

The only con with this: like all the Bobbi Brown gel eyeliners, it dries out easily. Really easily. I heard some advice to store upside down and this seems to help (condensation keeps it moist). Make sure the cap is on tightly at all times. This particular one is drier than the other "ink" eyeliners (like Caviar Ink). In fact, when I first got it, I took it back thinking I had gotten a dried up defective one. When the new one I got was exactly the same, I realized that this one is just drier than the others. It must be the shimmer factor. Still, it applies well. I wish Bobbi Brown sold less product (for less $) since some of it will probably dry up before I can use it. The YouTube clips that say how to revive these gel eyeliners only have worked so/so for me on the Bobbi Brown eyeliners.

Regardless, this is a great buy. Glad I had checked out the reviews for this one.

Generally, I prefer MAC's gel liner to BB's. MAC's last a bit longer on me. I have oily lids and the only way I can get this gel to last is if I wear it with UDPP underneath the shadow first (which I almost always do). If I want to wear it by itself to add definition to a naked eye though, it doesn't last for more than an hour or two. I think it's more a problem with my lids rather than with the product.

The color is a plummy black...nice for those with green or hazel eyes. Looks great with my beloved Style Snob.

on 7/29/2008 7:11:00 PM

I'm a Fluidlines fan, like many others who've reviewed Black Mauve (BM). I was drawn to BM because black e/l usually looks too harsh on me and I was looking for an alternative to the browns I usually wear. So far, I like it, but wouldn't consider it a must-have item.

The color is what was kind of a letdown--although it looks a lot softer than basic black, the eggplant shimmer is barely noticeable after I apply it. It reminds me in a way of MAC's Beauty Marked shadow--gorgeous in the pan/pot, but more of a soft black when applied. It is, however, a nice alternative to black or brown. If you're looking for a more purple/eggplant/mauve e/l, it's probably better to look at MAC's Macroviolet.

The formula is nice though--this goes on smoothly and wears well. I can't say it lasts all day, but it lasts about 8 hours on my oily eyelids.

While this wasn't HG, I'm willing to give other BB gel liners a shot based on this one. I like this, but don't love it.

Black Mauve is very boring to me. Then again, I like more vavava-voom colors, like MAC Blue Peep, but I thought, hey, maybe I should get something more tame and lady-like. I guess this fits the bill, in all it's shimmery taupey gray glory. Yawn. I see no mauve in this, and I tried to find the mauve in there, I looked and looked, I swear. Nope, not a smidge o'mauve to me. Oh well, I'll stick to my purples, blues and greens.

on 7/3/2008 8:08:00 PM

I really wanted to like this, as I have about 10 of them and just love the formula. It's almost a greyed down black plum w/ a little shimmer. I can see how it would make green eyes really stand out since there is a little plumminess to it. I have light brown eyes and it does absolutely nothing for them... I returned it to NM.