Revlon Colorsilk in Brown Black

Revlon Colorsilk in Brown Black

4.3

Couldn't love this more! I leave, come back and wonder why I left. Quick primer: natural medium to dark brown, I've been coloring for over 35 years (I'm 47) and have been every color there is. Went blonde while growing out a pixie two years ago, loved it, got bored. Transitioned to dark brown. Then went black. That lasted a few months, got bored, tried to lift it, now waiting for the fade (it's happening!). But--before I went black, from dark brown I tried brown black and LOVED IT. And I'll be using it again this weekend.

The dark brown was too red when it faded. It was nice. I wasn't in love with it. When I went to get another box they were out, so I took a chance on brown black. At first I was terrified and figured it'll fade. But the compliments I got? People loved it. And so did I. After a few shampoos it settled into the most deep and luscious color. A dark brown that just hinted at black, without the harshness. Don't get me wrong, I loved the black hair too. But *this* just works.

I've tried other companies versions, but Revlon has me for life. Did you see where I said I'm 47? Yeah, for another month. And I've got the gray hair to prove it. Right up front. In your face. In my face. All over my head. And it's *very* resistant to color--except with Colorsilk. It takes to every strand every time. Without fail. I've used root touch up and it's gone in a week and costs twice what a box of this sells for. Walmart has this for $3. $3!!! Buy a whole box, do your roots and who cares what you toss out! IT WORKS. This is my color...for now. But this will *always* be my brand.

Used in light ash brown. Did not lift my roots (1 - 2 shades darker than my hair), did not cover grey

Only good thing is it did not fry my hair and refreshed my overall color

To Read all 42 Reviews, Login or Join

on 12/25/2015 2:46:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I've been using Revlon Colorsilk in Brown Black for more than 3 years now, and I'll continue to do so because it's absolutely the best hair color ever!
My natural color is very dark brown, and it never fails to cover my hair evenly from roots to tips. My grays are always completely gone, and whenever it's time for a touch up, I can see that my grown out grays are still dark brown!
I've tried Colorsilk in Dark Brown twice before, but it left me with reddish roots and faded too quickly; Brown Black, on the other hand, always leaves me with a beautiful, even, natural looking dark brown color. Immediately after coloring, it looks almost black, but after one or two shampoos it fades to a lovely dark brown.
The smell isn't harsh at all, the formula never burns my scalp and my hair always ends up way softer than before I colored it. Most complain about the gloves being flimsy, but I've never had one rip on me while using it, so it's all good.

Nonononono. Never again. I wanted to go back to my black hair and I thought since I'm going from light to dark I would just go to a drugstore and save myself from ordering online the Asian hair dye I regularly use. I haven't had a great track record with western store bought dyes but I thought hey what could go wrong if I'm just going for a black color? Apparently a lot can go wrong. I bought 2 boxes as my hair is very thick, long (past chest length) and also pigmented (Asian hair). In any other brand this would be enough but the dye did not even cover HALF my head. That was ridiculous I would of needed at least 4 boxes to do my hair and I've never had that problem before. So great my hair was already uneven. The color says black brown my hair came out blue black but surprisingly my hair was even. Not even a couple of weeks into this permanent dye my hair fades and I am left with the consequences of using not enough hair dye. My hair was brown in some parts, black brown in others, black here and there. Western drugstore hair dyes are just not for me at all. The Revlon dye was not true to color, certainly not long lasting and didn't contain enough hair dye. Now I'm left with the most horrendous and patchy hair I've ever had in my life. Awesome. If you have Asian thick long hair give this a pass and never look back.

on 3/22/2015 11:18:00 AM

Colorsilk is the best haircolor,and it won't cost you a fortune! If you want a deep, deep brown that isn't harsh or fake looking, try this! I actually love both "Brown Black" and "Dark Brown". My hair is naturally a light-medium ash brown, that I prefer to darken to help my features stand out more. I am half-Portuguese so darker hair just suits me more. Colors fade a lot on me, since my hair is porous from being highlighted blonde so many times, so I found that sometimes the "Dark Brown" was too light for my taste, once the initial "color fading" had taken place. This shade is similar, but deeper, so once it fades, it's the perfect deep natural brown that I want. It does start off looking almost black, but even on day 1 is not overly harsh or "blue" looking. That's what I love about these deep Colorsilk shades, they look so natural, and with repeated use, almost gives natural highs and lows somehow. My hair is a few inches past shoulder length, and I require 2 boxes, but I do have thicker hair than most. It's still really cheap, because 2 boxes of this color is the same (or less) than 1 box of most other drugstore colors. I color my hair often, more than I should, because I hate faded haircolor, and this really doesn't damage it, in fact it looks shinier and feels softer when I use it. And yesterday, I scored 4 boxes of this shade @ Big Lots for only $1.90/each!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Revlon Colorsilk is my absolute fave brand of hair color. I've tried so many others (including getting my hair colored at high end salons), yet I keep coming back to this cheapie but goodie. It softens my hair, and the little packet of conditioner that comes in each box is simply luxurious. I wish they sold a bottle of it, because it always leaves my hair feeling so soft and silky, better than it did before coloring. I hope they never, ever stop making this.

on 2/18/2015 6:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I used Revlon's Colorsilk #45 Bright Auburn previously and loved the product, but decided to recolor with a different and pricier brand (L'Oreal) in a similar shade last month. The result was terrible - it turned out a dull orange and dried my hair to a crisp. I stuck it out while the color faded to an unsettling brassy tone, then broke down and recolored with the light brown Colorsilk shade a week or so later. That helped with healing my damaged follicles and split ends, along with a short hair cut, but did not cover up the dull brass.

Colorsilk #20 is the poor woman's solution to a bad dye job. It covered up the brass and allowed flattering highlights to gleam through. The color came out near jet black (shockingly dark) that night but faded to a soft brown black the morning after. It's a gorgeous color that leaves hair soft and manageable (no frizz to speak of, thankfully). I have no grey so I can't speak on that, but I imagine the coverage would do well.

Pros - $2.99/box at Wal Mart, scored it for less at an outlet store.
Inexpensive! Two boxes will be needed for long tresses but won't break the bank
The after-color conditioner packet is like liquid gold
Colors evenly, covers up bad dye jobs well
Fades to a lovely brown rather than a dull brass shade
No strong chemical odor (leaves hair with a pleasant scent)
Rinses out easily and quickly
Doesn't immediately stain everything it touches (wipe off with warm water)

Cons -
Messy, not the easiest application
20-30 minutes
Gloves are crap but aren't the worst at that price point
Will leave hair feeling brittle without conditioner! Use the included packet asap!!

I love this! I'm giving it only 4 stars because I get really itchy from it. It comes out pretty dark at first but wash with a clarifying shampoo a few times and it fades into a dark chocolate brown and looks so natural.

on 8/16/2014 5:09:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

If you want the Goth look and your hair to look so black it's almost purple or blue, then this dye and color is the product for you. However I wanted a really deep, dark brown but this color looked jet black immediately after coloring.

The pros:
-it seems like a good hair dye; with the exception of the color the formula is as good as any of the other more expensive brands
-no ammonia; the scent is quite pleasant
-incredible price
-hair looks lustrous and shiny immediately after coloring
-completely and easily covers grays

The cons:
-the colors are mislabeled; I'll try the lighter brown colors and see if they can produce a dark brown

I read some other reviews about washing the dye out of your hair with clarifying shampoo for a few days for dark dyes and will try that but I've been successful with other dyes that produce the color I want immediately after the first color. For the price however, it's worth one more try with another color

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is a gorgeous ALMOST black but not so harsh. I am hooked on it. I use it to cover gray and to enhance my hair color. My hair is always VERY shiny from using this and the odor to me is mild. Best of all, this costs 2.97 at Target and Walmart...uh...no one knows or cares where you got your hair done as long as you look good. It have used this hair color for more than 10 years and I get compliments on my hair all the time..I laugh internally knowing how much this costs to maintain. I love it!

Happy Makeuping!