L'Oreal Paris HIP Jelly Balm [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by skin type : Dry
L'Oreal Paris HIP Jelly Balm   [DISCONTINUED]

4.3

Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Bisdiglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Polybutene, C18-36 Acid Triglyceride, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Silica, Dimethyl Silylate, Microcrystalline Wax, Fragrance, Allantoin, Isopropylparaben, Benzyl Alcohol, Isobutylparaben, Butylparaben, BHT, Sodium Saccharin, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Silica, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Tin Oxide. May contain: Titanium Dioxide, Red 7, Red 28 Lake, Iron Oxides, Yellow 5 Lake, Red 22 Lake, Blue 1 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Mica, Carmine.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I was super-duper excited to pick these up! My nearest Target store (I adore Target!) didn't have these so I drove to the family-owned drugstore down the block to pick these up.
Price: Differs from store-to-store (as most druggie finds). I bought this from a little drugstore for around it's normal internet-retail price. Loreal products do tend to be more expensive than other drugstore brands, such as Maybelline.
Packaging: This lip tint looks a lot like the MAC's Tinted Lip Conditioner because it has a similar pot idea except it's smaller. The pot is heavy with a glass screw-on top. The lip jelly sits in the center and is applied with either your fingers or a brush. Some people find that this packaging is unsanitary because they have to use their own fingers instead of an applicator (like the doe foot) but I'm fine with this.
Consistency and Application: The one thing I wasn't so keen on with this product (and the reason why it lost a lippy) is because of it's weird consistency/texture. First of all, this is way different than a lip gloss. It's a lot thicker and harder and plenty sticky. It is moisturizing but it's texture and hardness changes on the room temperature; weird, I know! This has to be kept somewhat warm or else it will be too hard and stiff to apply evenly.
Color: Their color selection is very limited; I believe that there is only 4 colors, all of them being somewhat nude. There is no shimmer or intense gloss, but a creamy sort of sheen that looks very natural and wearable. I own these in Plush (a light hot pink which shows up almost translucent and is the same color as my lips) and Succulent (a berry color which comes up a light red-purple.)
Conclusion: I really liked how unique this product is. If you can't avoid the larger and more high-end MAC Tinted Lip Conditioner, you can find these at almost any drugstore. Colors are limited but it probably doesn't matter anyway because they are all very sheer. I love these for layering or for everyday wear because they aren't too bright but do offer good moisture. Just remember to wash your hands before you stick a finger in that little pot! :)

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I really wanted a pink lip color that would moisturize my lips and this is it!

Pigment ~ My lips are pigmented so it's difficult for lip gloss colors to show up on my lips. When I tried plush on for the first time, I was disappointed because it looked like I put on clear chapstick. I decided to give it another shot. I applied a thin layer of the lip jelly, covering all of my lips. Afterwards, a thicker layer on top and bam! I got wonderful pink lips! The isn't the exact bubblegum pink from the jar (I'd never expect that) but it's still a cute, medium pink wash on my lips! (I'm a light-medium skinned Asian for reference)

Smell ~ I've read reviews where people say this product smells amazing. I have to agree. Even though I'm more of a fruity scent girl, I still find this smell pleasant. To me, it's a sweet vanilla kind of scent. Anyways, the smell isn't lingering so once on lips, I can't smell the product anymore.

Texture ~ It's pretty thick. Well, at least the way I have the jelly applied, two layers for pigment payoff. Don't expect this to feel like a "wet lip gloss." I'm personally not really bothered by the thick consistency and having the feeling that I have something on my lips.

Staying Power ~ Because of the thick consistency, the staying power is pretty good. I never expect glossy lip products to last long. I just reapply when I go to the bathroom.

Packaging ~ Okay, when I've just applied lotion to my hands, it's difficult to open the container so that can inconvenient. But once my hands are dry (like no more lotiony feel), no problemo. I also am not bothered by the "unsanitary" design of the container even though I have long nails. At home, I use a cotton bud and in public, I reapply after I've washed my hands in the bathroom.

Price ~ I'm cheap and don't like spending that much money. I was hesitant on buying this lip jelly seeing the $8 and something cents price tag, but it was soo worth it. This product was everything I was looking for! I will definitely purchase this lip product again unless I run across something even better beforehand!!

on 12/2/2010 9:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Warm

Pro's: Smells delicious! Nice tint of color. Leaves a slighty glossy finish to my lips. It's in a smal container! Most people don't like it, but I love small tins like this. Also, last a fairly long time, (2-3 hours)
Cons: Pretty expensive, and you don't get much product.

Overall, I love this product. I have it in plush 120. The only reason I got it is because I saw that it was a dupe for MAC's "pink fish" from their hello kitty collection. I wouldn't pay 8.99 for this though, I think 4.99 is a better price...

update: WHY IS THIS DISCONTINUED?!!? D:

on 11/13/2010 10:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This lip balm is amazing... i have it in succulent, plush, and ripe i love all of them but my favorite hands down is plush. It gives the perfect flush of pink and isn't too glossy. it makes your lips look amazing, the texture is smooth (a little stickier than MACs tinted lip conditioner) I bought two of them at target for about 7 to 8 dollars but the cheapest i've found it for is from allcosmeticswholesale and i believe it was about 4 dollars. the only downside to me at least is the fact that it is in a jar (i don't like using my fingers to apply lip products...but it is still worth it)

on 9/11/2010 12:22:00 AM

These are expensive for drugstore glosses, but I love them. They smell like vanilla cake and taste sweet. They're thick and moisturizing, but not in a slippery, greasy way. Plush is a light Malibu Barbie pink which doesn't show up very well, against fair skin anyway; Ripe is sort of a coral that's fun in summer; Delicious is a true blue-red; and Succulent is just like Clinique's Black Honey.

I'm a little worried L'Oreal may be discontinuing them, though; they've suddenly vanished from our local Wal-Mart.

on 8/25/2010 4:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I just purchased L'Oreal's H.I.P. jelly balm in delectable, and I do like this product, but it is not the best tinted balm I have tried (my favorite being Joe Fresh's tinted lip balm stick, which is only available in Canada). First off, I love the color. Delectable is a sheer pinkish red which is really pretty and natural looking, almost as if you just ate a cherry popsicle and then slicked on some clear gloss. It also has more of a gloss finish, as previously mentioned, as opposed to the more traditional finish of a balm. Finally, The smell is amazing! it smells like vanilla or caramel or a hybrid of the two-mmm.

On the downside, I do find this "balm" quite sticky, which I don't hate, but I don't love either. The price is another downfall; at around 10$ a pop, this balm is pretty pricey for only .158 ounces.

Overall, I would re-purchase because I do love the color, but it does not deserve a full five lippies.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I bought this in Delectable because it was the only one left..it was marked down for $2.50 at WalGreens on clearance and I figured, I'd try it (I refused to buy it for full price which was a ridiculous $10!). Wow..I wish I hadn't waited so long! It smells like cotton candy and the color is deep pink/red but on my lips it is a lovely deep pink that makes my lips look (as other reviewers have said)--JUICY! This has no shimmer at all and it feels nice and slick on my lips not sticky at all, which is a good thing for me, because I hate sticky glosses. The only downside is the pot, you have to stick your finger in it. When you're out and there isn't a napkin around, then you have to figure out where you can wipe the extra gloss off your finger! lol Other than that, I wish I could find some other colors..I would stock up, since this is obviously discontinued.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I wanted to do a review after I owned all the colors, but I couldn't hold it off any longer, because these are AMAZING. HG HG HG!
So smooth and creamy, and no where close to sticky. Not as pigmented as, say lipstick, but for a gloss it's really nice. Adds color to your lips in the most subtle but poppy way.
I own Succulent (first color I got,) Plush (second,) Ripe and Delectable (BOGO sale @ Rite Aid) I would've gotten Luscious and Savory but they didn't have that in stock. In general my favorites are Plush and Succulent. Plush is a great everyday bubblegum pink, and Succulent is great for day and nighttime, I prefer nighttime just because.
Ripe is good too, it punches up my natural lip color a bit, although it is extremely similar to my natural lip color. It's just a nice medium pinky red color.
Delectable looks like a brick red apple color in the jar, but when applied it actually looks like a pink, almost hot pink, but not quite. It's a step down from Succulent but up from Ripe. In my opinion, I could've done without this one in my collection, since it's so similar to Succulent when I put it on. I also like Succulent more, but I can still use this. I wore it to my graduation and I looked in the side mirror of the car on the way there and I sort of felt ridiculous wearing it since it looked so much like...I don't know. I guess I wasn't used to the color yet. (This happened with Plush too, I felt it was too light but the color just grew on me.) but I suppose I could've just applied too much as well.
If I was to buy another one, (or two, or three, lol I love these too much!) I would first buy Succulent, then Plush (since I have a bigger dent in Succulent) and then maybe try Savory or Luscious. They don't seem like they would go well with my skin tone, but I could still try them out since I love the way they feel on my lips.
I am definitely going to buy backups for these since I am in L-O-V-E. Always get these at BOGO sales though, since they retail pretty high for being drugstore. (At least they were when I got them) But they are worth every penny as well, so either way is fine.
SUMMARY: LOVE LOVE LOVE, the must have colors are Plush and Succulent.

on 5/28/2010 6:04:00 PM

This product at my local Walgreens is about $9-$10, but I got it yesterday on sale for $4.99! It was about $5 off, I just had to get because a bunch of people were raving about it. I got mine in "Plush". (Such a pretty baby pink!) And this is a wonderful "dupe" for MAC's Tendertones. (Which are discontinued) It comes in a little pot (0.159 oz. if you were wondering...). It smells SO good!...it has a nice vanilla scent to it. This color is just a gorgeous tinted pink.(: I think these are perfect for the summer!

on 5/21/2010 11:09:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

My Walgreens has these all on clearance right now + I have some L'oreal coupons so I picked up "Plush" for a couple bucks. I couldn't imagine paying $9/$10 for one of these things though! Anyway, I can see myself wearing it a lot in the summer...it smells nice, easy to apply (as long as your fingers are clean!), a bit thicker consistancy. All good things to me. Wouldn't really call it a "high intensity pigment" though, it's very sheer on me. I'm gonna try layering mine over a lip liner.

I may buy one or two more since they are so cheap right now...

Popular Lip Glosses