L'Oreal HIP Jelly Balm [DISCONTINUED]

L'Oreal HIP Jelly Balm   [DISCONTINUED]

4.3

Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Bisdiglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Polybutene, C18-36 Acid Triglyceride, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Silica, Dimethyl Silylate, Microcrystalline Wax, Fragrance, Allantoin, Isopropylparaben, Benzyl Alcohol, Isobutylparaben, Butylparaben, BHT, Sodium Saccharin, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Silica, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Tin Oxide. May contain: Titanium Dioxide, Red 7, Red 28 Lake, Iron Oxides, Yellow 5 Lake, Red 22 Lake, Blue 1 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Mica, Carmine.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I bought four of this on a whim at my local walgreens for $8.99 each. They are L'oreal's version of MAC's tendertones without shimmer and with more pigment. I bought these in:

Plush 120 (a bright bubblegum pink)

Ripe 220 (a watermelon red)

Savory 420 (a lighter coral)

Succulent 520 (a medium plum)

There are 6 colors available, the other two i didn't purchase were a deep wine color and a cherry red color.

The first thing i noticed about these was the smell. While i can't really place the smell, its the same smell that the lipglosses and lipsticks have, which i absolutely love. The second thing i noticed about these that they had absolutely no shimmer whatsoever. Somedays i just need a gloss that has no shimmer. They're perfect to put over lipstick that already has a shimmer. The first one i tried was Succulent. I noticed that the plum color actually showed up on my lips pretty well, unlike the tendertones, which give a very faint hint of color. These actually give you the color that's in the pot, which is what i was going for when i saw these. In fact, the only thing i don't like about these is the packaging. I'm not fond of anything i have to stick my finger in, but i guess that's why they make lip brushes. Also, these balms don't have an spf like the MAC tendertones do. However, i really don't need a SPF since my lip primer already has one. Overall, i am extremely satisfied with my purchase and i will certainly purchase the other two colors.

on 6/22/2008 12:59:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

At [mystery age approaching 40], I like my shimmer subtle. While I appreciate and admire super-shimmery shadows and glosses on younger women, I know that they're not for me, for the most part. And can I just say that it's not very easy to find gorgeous, high-quality products without shimmer, and a LOT of shimmer at that? Not to mention sparkles, sequins, and entire battalions of glistening metallic hoo-ha. Enter the HiP jellies.

I read the review below yesterday from masqued_dreamer (and a great review it was!), and immediately upon reading that these glosses were shimmer-free I shut down the computer and headed straight to my nearest Walgreen's. I purchased 3 of these little beauties and have already partied through one color and worked through the second, so I feel I can comment on both their loveliness and wearability. These are GREAT! They're sticky, but I don't mind that. They stay put for several hours, add an appreciable but not overwhelming amount of color, and moisturize like crazy without causing the around-the-lips breakout that I hate so much. I love them!

I can't smell a smell nor really taste a taste for more than 2 or 3 minutes after application. The smell to me is subtle and not at all bothersome. These don't contain sunscreen, which for me is a huge bonus because oxycinnimate and its relatives break me out in a rash. (For those who object to a sunscreen-free lip product, get a lip base with sunscreen such as MAC, Jane Iredale, and others make, and you're good to go.)

I've read that--ahem--women of middle years who have thinner lips should actually avoid bright or deep-colored lipsticks because they emphasize all that we already don't like about our lips. Instead, according to some expert somewhere, we should wear sheer colors with subtle to no shimmer and a moderate amount of glossiness to fool the eye into thinking that our lips are fuller and less shriveled. Well, I am not committed to going without my Besame lippies on special occasions, but for day-to-day use I totally agree that less is not just more, but more attractive as well. These glosses TOTALLY fit the bill.

I bought three colors yesterday and will go back today to get another one or two. They're sheer enough that even the pinker, cool-toned ones look good on my warm skin. YLBB, totally. Run, don't walk. They're BOGOF at Walgreen's today!

on 9/28/2008 7:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

(Click "continued" to see pics of Delectable and Succulent swatched on my arm and tried on my lips!)

Well, I seem to be in the minority here, but I really didn't like these much. I tried Delectable and Succulent, expecting that they'd be a rich, sexy red and a cotton candy-like pink on the lips, for a gloss that's supposed to be "highly pigmented." Apparently not - both looked almost the same, a muted pink, nothing exciting. I look better wearing plain Chapstick. I also hate the pot packaging - it's cute for novelty's sake, but really unsanitary. Yes, you could wash your hands before every time you apply it, but how is that conducive to reapplying it when you're out shopping or something like that? (And, for the record, it DOES need to be reapplied, and often!) These, along with my HIP liners, are going back to CVS on my next trip out - with the exception of a couple of shadow duos, this whole line has been something of a disappointment to me.

Delectable:

Succulent:

continued >>

on 9/10/2009 11:08:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I love these Jelly Balms- I have every shade and multiples of my favorite colors. Yes, theyre expensive ($7-$9 regular price, though I stock up when Rite-Aid has BOGO). Not all stores that carry HIP products carry these, and Target had some shades on clearance, so I *hope* thats not a sign theyre being discontinued.

I try not to think about the ingredients in these, because Ive read theyre chock full of chemicals, but whatever it is, its gooood. Probably the longest-lasting, most-moisturizing balm-gloss hybrid Ive tried. The intensity of color varies depending on the shade & (obviously) how heavily you apply, but all have a thick, rich (but not sticky) feel and a moist (but not super-glossy) finish. The color & shine last about 2-3 hours during regular day wear, though my lips continue to feel moisturized for several hours after it wears off. I can still feel it on my lips in the morning when worn overnight. Most often I wear it as my only lip product, though it works equally well under (blotted) or over lipstick.

While the pot-packaging is a little inconvenient, it looks chic and I dont think the formula would work in a stick/tube anyways. I always have a couple of these in my purse, and have just gotten accustomed to swiping a bit on with my finger.

These have a subtle-yet-pleasant vanilla-caramel scent, and no real taste. The colors dont necessarily show up the same on your lips as they do in the pot, which Ive found to be good or bad, depending on my expectations.

A little about the colors-

Savory- peachy coral, goes on more sheer than it looks in the pot (good for me since I dont usually wear this shade)- just gives me glossy nude lips, also nice as a base for nude lipstick

Plush- pale bubblegum pink, basically looks clear on my naturally pale lips, unless I really lay it on thick- I like this as a nightly treatment or when I want a no-makeup look

Ripe- sheer slightly orangey-red, didnt expect to like it, turns out its a perfect sheer maraschino-cherry red on me- good for when I want a little pop of color

Delectable- brighter, deeper, slightly pinkish-red, more pigmented on me than the other shades, too bright/bold on its own, okay when blotted down- I much prefer Ripe when I want to go red

Succulent- creamy, raspberry-mauve shade, a MLBB shade- this one I find to be pretty pigmented, too- it leaves behind a bit of a stain

Luscious- deep-yet-sheer berry, it is gives a lovely berry-stained effect when blotted or a little is really worked into the lips- can be applied heavier (with a lip brush for precision) for a sultry, dramatic effect

Sorry for rambling, I wanted to cover all the bases. This is an all-around good and versatile lip product, well worth a try (and the price, though preferably on sale) if you can find it.

EDIT 1/4/10 I finally found a way to make 'DelectabIe' (the only shade I don't use regulary) work for me. I combined half-used pots of Luscious and Delectable (melted in the microwave on high for about a minute in the glass pot and stirring with a toothpick to evenly mix the colors). This resulted in an *absolutely gorgeous* bright berry color that has become my new favorite lip color. I might try mixing some of my other half-used shades to see what I get!

Update 3/30/11 ******Still loving these! I wear the deeper shades (Luscious & Succulent) for fall/winter and save the punchier shades (Savory, Plush & Ripe) for spring/summer. My absolute favorite is Succulent, it perfectly matches my natural lip color and just makes my lips look naturally full and luscious. I stocked up on these when they were on clearance everywhere so I should be set for life!

on 7/6/2008 2:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I was excited to find the L'Oreal Hip Balms at Longs tonight so I decided to try the darkest color, Luscious 720. It's on a different display from the regular HiP line.

I have extremely pigmented lips, so it really looks like clear lip balm on me. I've never tried balms before , so my first attempt was using my fingers, and it felt like stickiness on my lips.

Tried a lip brush to see if more color would show up, unfortunately still looked like a clear balm.

I got this balm with a minor discount, but noticed retail was around $6 something for it, really not worth it.

also included a pic of the balm, near the display were the metallic e/s duos.
continued >>

on 7/11/2011 4:23:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Oh, how I love everything that is either going to be discontinued or already is discontinued...

I own three of the HIP Jelly Lip Balms, and I like the shades of all of them. Plush is my favorite, Ripe is second and Delectable is third. Plush is a pretty pink, which gives my lips a little lift not too much. I usually wear this one at bed time, because my DH is allergic to almost every type of lip balm on the market. My nails are short, so I don't mind using my finger to apply the lip balm at bedtime.

Ripe is a nice, subtle melon shade, and I typically use this one with a lip pencil. It's a nice shade for running errands, and it works perfectly with my fair, yellow-orange skin tone. Delectable is slighter darker than Ripe, and it's a nice, soft red, which gives your lips the look of licking a cherry popsicle. You can layer both Ripe and Delectable over a nude lipstick for a subtle look.

Overall, the glosses are fairly pigmented, and they last on my lips for about 1.5 hours at the most. Three lippies on the packaging, because you have to stick your finger in the container ~ my preference is to use a lip brush. This product has always been way too expensive at full price for a lip gloss. I can never seem to find them at my nearest drugstore at a great price, so I usually order them from drugstore.com @ BOGO 50%.

on 8/12/2008 10:47:00 PM

I really like these balms. I have Ripe and Luscious and both smell like cocoa butter. I have semi-dark lips and Ripe gives them a nice natural pinkish tint, and Luscious gives them a deep wine color tint. They are tints only, which I think is great for daily use. They are definitely comparable to Clinique Superbalms, which I also love. Clinique has the plus of being in a tube and maybe a slightly longer wear, but is definitely a few dollars more. I think the Jelly Balm colors have better tint than the Clinique ones, and I've used a range of the Clinique colors. Clinique superbalms are also shinier and stickier, which some may find a pro or a con. I like the fact that the jelly balms aren't as shiny because I am not always trying to look like I have a load of gloss on, and I like that they aren't as sticky so my hair isn't stuck to my face. They are really like a tinted, good quality lip balm more than anything else. I don't think I'll drop my Clinique superbalms for the jelly balm, but I can't see myself dropping these either. It just depends on what you want your look to be on a given day. :)

on 10/18/2009 3:01:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I just bought the High Intensity Lip Jelly In "Succulent" . I have dark brown skin and wanted a pinkish gloss to wear with a little brown lip liner. I usually buy more high end makeup so I am so pleased at the price! On my bare lips I spread the jelly on. A nicely pigmented sheer raspberry pink or I call it, a "rich pink". Not at all bubble gummy or cotton candy. Then I lightly lined my lips with Chestnut Mac lipliner and blended. Gorgeous! The beautiful pink gloss I was looking for. Just like all the stars wear and you KNOW the makeup artist mixed at least 2 or 3 shades for them, you know? It gives me a fresh, very pretty, very sophisticated pink lip look. I will definitely buy more and get the next darker shade.

on 5/31/2009 1:45:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

These are my favorite lip balms at the moment. I purchased Savory, Ripe and Luscious and I'm pretty pleased with each, and plan on buying more. Savory is my go-to everyday lip product, and I use it on its own or to condition my lips before applying lipstick. They have great color payoff for being a balm. With a little lip primer they stay on a long time. They are not sticky (like my C.O. Bigelow lip conditioners) and have a very subtle caramel flavor, not overwhelming as if I just ate a messy pastry and didn't clean my face. I prefer a balm with no menthol, as it burns chapped lips and makes them feel colder in the winter when lips are driest, so these are perfect. Another plus is the lack of shimmer/glitter. Glitter is my pet peeve. Many people have been comparing these to MAC Tendertones, which I don't own, so I can't say if they're a dupe.

Ripe was the first I bought and I was a bit surprised by the color. I was expecting more of a coral pink, but it's quite red. Oh well. It's still pretty. Luscious is a grape jelly color, and I like it quite a bit. It's definetly darker than the others, but not vampy, just a nice berry tone. Savory is a perfect nude peach. I ditched my MAC Tinted Lip Conditioner in Soothing Beige, and my Rosebud Salve (my recent go-to lip balm) for Savory.

I hope they come out with more colors. I'd grab a light lilac shade or a more browny nude tone in a heartbeat. The packaging is very sturdy, and I like it, although I use my finger to apply it and then have to find a place to clean my hand. Usually I rub my finger on the back of my hand and it disappears. Squeeze tubes are easier to use, but then the consistency would have to be runnier, not so soft and, well, jelly-like. I definitely recommend this product and will be buying more.

Edit: I just purchased Plush, the clean pastel pink shade, and Succulent, the medium berry pink. They're both lovely. I'm usually more of a nude lip person than a pink type, but these are quite nice for a girlier look. I like wearing lipstick, so when I reach for something like a balm I'm usually wanting a more natural, no makeup look, or I'm not wearing any makeup. I apply these lightly and get a nice pink stain. You can use it thicker and get more of a gloss effect and more color payoff as well, but that looks bizarre on me if I don't have the rest of my face made up. The only shade I lack now is the bright red, but I don't need it. So, again, I like these products a lot, and recommend them.

I've been dying to try these HiP jelly balms for a while now, but I've kept passing them up because $9.00 for such a little pot is pretty steep, if you ask me. However, I've heard good things about them, and Luscious just looked like the perfect berry color that I've been searching for, so finally one day I decided to grab 2 while the BOGO sale was still going at a local store. I picked up Luscious, which is a very dark purplish-red color in the pot--it reminds me of black cherry--and Delectable, an apple red that was the only other color that sort of appealed to me.

These are a waste of $9.00. I gave them two lippies just for the smell and texture, which are both nice, and they do seem very moisturizing, but it's robbery for L'Oreal to charge this much for something that's nothing more than a clear balm. I have lots of clear lip balms, I don't need anymore--I have what you might call an addiction. These jelly balms have NO PIGMENT whatsoever, and my lips are very pale. I smoothed on several layers of Luscious and still nothing--not even a hint of really sheer color. Delectable gave me the same results.

There are plenty of other clear balms on the market that give a nice moisturizing effect and don't cost you $9.00.