Pure Luxe Cosmetics Silk Powder

No Image

1 review

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

EDIT: I had to stop using this powder because it seems to have a drying effect if used daily over a long period ot time. And once my skin dried out, even luminous makeup failed to give me a healthy glow. My makeup (because of skin dryness paired with the mattifying properties of this powder) developed a finish similar to flat paint. However, my skin is prone to dryness so I don't think people with oilier skin types would have this problem, but FYI to anyone with dry skin and wanting to try this stuff.

Original review: Silk powder is a super-refined silk powder that can be used as a finishing powder to set foundation or overtop shiny/moist skincare products to create a smooth, matte canvas before mineral makeup application. It offers no coverage or glow - only mattification. Since the ingredients are 100% silk powder, it's good for those that are sensitive to talc, bismuth, mica, etc.
I picked a sample of this up from Pure Luxe based on the recent popularity of silk powder used as a mineral foundation primer. Until then, I had been using regular loose face powder and experimenting with Makeup Forever's and Pure Luxe's silica powders as a pre-mineral makeup primer. Regular face powder was too heavy and I didn't like the super-smooth effect of silica because I was having a hard time building coverage overtop with my minerals. I've been testing the silk powder for about a week now and it seems to be working well as a primer because my minerals go on even and are lasting longer when I use this powder.
In the jar, the powder is pure white and it has a tendency to clump into little balls. These break up easily when touched. The powder is very fine and sheer and it doesn't feel heavy on my skin. It mattes down my sunscreen nicely and blurs my pores. But because it's pure white, I have to be careful applying it or it can leave a white cast. If I put too much on, I buff the excess away with a large fluffy kabuki brush. It's supposed to absorb oil but I can't really say how well it works that way because I don't get oily, though it does prevent my sunscreen and skincare from becoming gloriously shiny throughout the day.
How I apply it: I pick up a small amount of the powder by dipping the tip of a fluffy, dome-shaped synthetic powder brush (The Body Shop) into the jar. Then, I buff the powder into the bristles by swirling the brush in a small kitchen bowl and then gently buff the bristles all over my face. By first working the powder into the brush I keep the application sheer and even. I do this in layers and only build-up the powder where I feel I need extra. Now my face is ready for other powder makeup. I've also used this technique to touch up my face in the afternoon and the powder seems to work very well, looking and feeling pretty lightweight. However, this powder leaves a teeny amount of white cast so I try to use it as a primer for powder foundations only.
I just ordered the 30g jar and I highly recommend Pure Luxe because of their decent prices. Prices run: $2 for a 1/4 tsp sample, $8 for 10g, $14 for 20g and $18.50 for 30g.
I think this product would be best for oily, combination and normal skin types because of its claimed oil-absorbing properties. Drier skin types might have to add some skin care oil to their pre-makeup routine to keep this from drying their skin out.
Recommendable. continued >>