Clairol Natural Instincts in 28 Nutmeg Dark Brown

Clairol Natural Instincts in 28 Nutmeg Dark Brown

4.3

Wow, okay, I am amazed that this worked for me as well as it did. I used the color Nutmeg/Dark Brown.

I am trying to transition away from henna - I do like henna a lot, it's a great thing for hair but it's too time consuming for me now that I am a mom. I just don't have several hours to devote to it anymore. I've been trying to get back to my natural dark brown hair color as close as possible and I have been having a hard time with permanent dyes. I kept getting hot roots and I could NOT understand why - all I wanted was to get natural looking dark brown hair and to cover my minimal grays! Not to much to ask, is it?!

I realized that the 20vol developer in most dyes were lifting, when I did not want lift. So out of desperation I thought I would give a demi permanent a try before throwing in the towel.

Anyway! So I used this in Nutmeg and it gave me the results I needed!!! Sorry for the exclamations, but I've been so fed up with all the dyes I've used, and getting crappy results. It's such a relief to find something that works for me. This gave me dark brown hair AND covered my grays and the whole process was done in less than 20 mins while my baby was napping. Yes! Quick and easy!

At first, the color was very dark, just a touch lighter than black. After a few washings it became the perfect coffee brown, semi sweet dark chocolate brown, Coca Cola brown, etc, you get the idea. Perfect. It looks exactly like my "virgin" color.

It's been over two weeks since I dyed it, with almost daily shampoos, and my grays are still covered and I can't believe it. It has faded a touch but not much and it looks so natural. Looks like I have never dyed it.

It left my hair feeling just the same as before, too. Not dry at all like with permanent dyes. The dye itself kind of smelled nice too, fruity or something. I also like the large tube of conditioner, plenty for several weekly treatments. Smells great too, like a pina colada or something similar.

I'm really super pleased with Natural Instincts Nutmeg. Hopefully it continues to hold up for at least a few more weeks. I think I finally found my color!

UPDATE: Okay, so the Nutmeg lasted me for a month with daily washing before my grays were super noticeable. 4 weeks is about average for me for permanent colors, I've had some permanent dyes wash out in like two weeks, actually. So that's impressive.

I chose to use Hazelnut Medium Brown this time to see if it would work as well as Nutmeg without going through that super dark/almost black color phase. The medium brown did not cover my grays at all. Some grays are lightly tinted but still really noticeable. So, bummer. I'm definitely sticking with Nutmeg from now on.

I have used this a couple of times. It goes on darker than the colour on the box, but fades within a week to the desired colour. It does not seem to last as long as 28 shampoos, but I have yet to find a product that does.
The product itself goes on nice, no strong odour or tingling. The result, while darker than expected, leaves the hair shiny, soft and produces a nice healthy look. I am on the fence on the product itself, knowing it does not last that long. Will try a different lighter colour next time.

To Read all 42 Reviews, Login or Join

on 1/15/2014 2:21:00 PM

This is the only at-home hairdye I've ever loved. It's also the easiest to apply. I wash my hair once a week so this lasts quite a while and looks really nice for weeks. I LOVE the conditioner included, as well; I make sure it lasts as long as possible. My hair is always nicest after I use it. The touch-up works just fine, too. Overall this package is a great value.

Beautiful color - shiny, healthy, rich color ...... and super easy to apply. Mild, non offensive scent. Great product EXCEPT it didn't cover my grey. What a shame. I love the color, but need grey coverage too. So I will not purchase this again.

So i just died my hair this colour. i started out with light brown (faded from summer). after dying my hair, it turned out very rich, almost like chocolate. it feels very healthy. i left the conditioner in on the ends just to add extra moisture. i will keep you updated with the state of my hair over the next two weeks to see if any damage or wash-out occurs. otherwise, this is a fairly basic and simple product to get your hair a nice rich brown colour.

Okay I tried this today on my already dyed but faded medium brown hair with highlights! It did come out way darker than expected so next time I would probably chose light brown in order to get a medium brown! It did leave my hair soft, silky, and shiny!I wish I had known it would come out this dark, but overall it came out fine. A very pretty color! I wouldn't say it was black, but a very dark brown! I'm sure since it is semipermanent it will fade! :)

on 6/18/2012 11:12:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

It's ok - it does a good job of dying your hair - just not the colour on the box. My hair looks black, and it's not a particularly flattering tone to my skin, makes me look kinda sickly. I was hoping it was just going to be a rich dark brown, it's not. It's not "multi dimensional" either - just a really flat/dark brown almost black colour. My hair before this was it's natural colour, a medium dark brown that just needed some shine and dimension. I'm glad this colour is temporary.

I had used Nutmeg Dark Brown for a few years, then switched to L'Oreal Excellence Permanent Dark Brown, since semiperm color wasn't lasting. I didn't like the stark white showing as my hair grew out, using the permanent color. So, I just switched back to Natural Instincts Dark Brown semipermanent(not called Nutmeg anymore??). I like how they've added 2 pairs of gloves, and was interested to try the touch up kit included. So, I used the color & liked it very much. Tried not to wash my hair every day, and color seemed to last a bit longer. It has been 2 weeks, so I applied the touch up kit using a brush - I only wanted touch up gray around my facial hairline. Well, not happy bec it turned a bit orange on me. Next month, I think I'll skip the touch up, and just use the kit every 3-4 weeks or so.

Did not cover my grays at all. Waste of my time and money.

first time.

dyed my hair with prettia (sweet pink) but never touched it up so I got horrible roots (school schedule= can't do anything.) After half a year without touching up, I decided to just dye it back. I'm asian, so I thought I would go black to black, but that'd look harsh, so I picked a dark brown instead.

It says 10 minutes, but I accidentally left it in for about 13 since I forgot. Surprisingly, the color still came out wonderfully. It's a bit darker than what I expected, more like a soft black than brown, but I'd imagine that's because it's the first day. When it fades a bit to brown, I'll update.

Coverage is good, but in the light you can see the lighter hair color from my previous dye, but otherwise it's nice. The color still has a shine (unlike prettia which turn my hair into a dry sdfghjkl;) and looks very natural. Even and not streaky at all.

I have somewhat medium-long hair (ends at my breast) and what was in the container was JUST ENOUGH, so girls with longer hair, buy another box!

overall, I was impressed. Now to see how long it will last...
-----
EDITEDITEDIT
So after a while it turned to brown (a week or two) it's semi permanent but it's staying longer than expected. It also comes with a touch up packet (which I never used orz) if you want to keep the fresh color. I never used it because I don't like how dark it is right after dying it...