Revlon Colorsilk in Dark Brown

Revlon Colorsilk in Dark Brown

4.3

on 1/21/2016 4:25:00 PM

I've used Color Silk on and off for more than 15 years, and have always been pleased with it. I used it again a couple of weeks ago, and it dried out my hair terribly. Weird. I'm now afraid to use the box I have in reserve.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

Nice dark brown color. Looks natural.
Price is awesome. Not much else to say.

To Read all 90 Reviews, Login or Join

on 12/6/2015 12:04:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

This was my first time ever dying my hair or using hair dye and I was very pleased! I actually have some hair extensions that do not match my natural color so that is what i used the dye on. My hair is not jet black, but it is darker than a normal brown so I had trouble choosing between dark brown and brown black. I went with dark brown and I am SO glad I did!

When I was putting it all over the hair, I got some on the sink and as it dried, it turned my sink a nice brown color, it was really cool to me! I let it sit for 25 minutes as instructed and then I washed it out. It felt AMAZING! It was so soft and I was so confused because I assumed hair dye would make my hair course and a little damaged. The color ran clear but as kept running water on it, I always got a little brown. It was always: clear, clear, clear, brown, clear, brown, etc. So i just stopped and used the conditioner.

I can definitely see why people were wondering where you could buy this stuff separately. It smells soooo good! I kinda wished I had a little more to go in and wash my own hair with! But afterwards, I washed it out and my hair (extensions) and so dark and beautiful! I love the dark look and im so glad it will fade into a beautiful but still dark brown over time!
Will most definitely dye again with this brand and color! Kinda trying to find something else can dye just so I can buy some more in a different color lol!

on 11/24/2015 11:06:00 PM

Seeing so many reviews that need clarification. First, never expect your color to look like the box. That model doesn't have your hair. It's just a guideline. Second, there is enough product in the kit to do medium length hair just fine. If your hair is shorter than that and you don't have enough product I'm not sure what to say. Third, it's imperative that you always add water and lather color before rinsing. Color is shampoo based, so if your hair is sticky or gummy after rinsing, either rinse again or consider the health of your hair before coloring. And finally, consider your own tones and color processes before using a box dye kit. It's not always just buying the color and applying. It really is a science and you have to have some working knowledge of how color works.

I am a natural brunette who had gone blonde for over a year to combat resistant grays. It was just easier. But I got tired of being blonde and wanted to go darker again. I also knew that I'd have to add pigments back into my hair so it didn't take an odd turn into orange or green. Knowing that, I started on a Friday by using Colosilk in Medium Golden Brown. I knew it wouldn't turn out the actual shade considering my platinum blonde starting point. It came out a medium auburn, which is what I wanted (using an ash color would have added blue/green tones and that would have been bad. Golden added red/orange, which I needed to deposit). I needed to add a red to the blonde as a starting point so my next step wasn't too red or God forbid, green. I then purchased Colorsilk Dark Brown the next day (being a neutral shade meant an equal amount of red and blue/green base colors). I applied it and it came out dark brown. Very little red tones, and not green at all. It was exactly the color I wanted.

It's been three weeks since I did this. I condition every day but don't shampoo daily. The color has lightened just a fair amount, still in the dark brown family. The red tones my hair naturally reveal are still minimal. And my 50% gray? Those have kept their color as well. The only gray showing is the growth at the root. I'm amazed and beyond happy. I already knew Colorsilk is one of the best box dyes on the market. It has never disappointed me. And the price cannot be beat. To do my root touch up, it is still cheaper to buy this and apply with a brush than to buy a touch up kit at three times the price.

If you want to color your hair, give Colorsilk a try. It's worth every penny and out performs other colors hands down. I'm 47 and have been coloring my hair for 35 years. I also went to beauty school and that working knowledge of how color works and the color wheel is helpful. Do your homework and look your questions up before you blame a good product for your own mistakes. Color is something to have fun with. One last thing--for all those experts who day dark brown hair on women over 40 is too harsh need to stop. I have never been this in love with my hair color, not even when I was a blonde. Medium brown is boring. Dark brown stands out. And it's amazing!

Happy coloring!

on 9/26/2015 11:38:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I love that this dye does not contain ammonia and is so cheap! Those were the main draws. It was easy to apply and it comes with a really nice conditioner packet. The results were very dark, almost like a soft black color at first. But now, after three weeks, it has lightened up a bit to more of a very dark brown. It's still pretty dark though. Colorsilk seems to resist fading better than other brands I've tried in the past. This was a great purchase, I'm very happy with the results! I would probably not ever buy a Garnier or L'Oreal dye again, now that I've used Colorsilk.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I used Revlon ColorSilk in Dark Brown on short my brown/black hair w/ about 10% dye resistant grays 6 days ago. It was $3+change including tax @ my local Target.

First off, the color was much darker than I expected. I thought I'd pretty much have my original color w/ the grays coming out a dark brown. What I got was a monochromatic black/brown head of hair after following Revlon's directions for covering stubborn gray.

At least the dye successfully covered my stubborn grays and the color seems to be mellowing out a little bit. I didn't shampoo for 24 hours but still had a little dye bleed onto my towels after shampooing on days 3 & 4.

Though the smell was okay, the dye really roughed up my hair cuticles & dried it out. Wet my hair was a tangled mess. The included conditioner only helped a tiny bit. However, after drying, my hair was reasonably soft and shiny.

One box was enough for my short hair w/ just a tiny bit to spare so if you have shoulder length hair or longer, get 2 boxes or more.

Pros:
1) Covers stubborn grays.
2) Cheap.
3) Smells okay.

Cons:
1) Dries out your hair.
2) Box claims multi-dimensional color, but I got a monochromatic result.
3) Color comes out darker than expected.
4) May need to get 2 or more boxes for hair any longer than a pixie cut. (ex. Anne Hathaway's short hair @ her wedding)

on 3/22/2015 8:12:00 PM

I decided to stop getting my hair colored at the salon and do it at home. I had been coloring with CHI IONIC permanent shine color (can't remember the color #, sorry!) . If anyone is familiar with Chi color it's ammonia free. This particular Revlon color is a spot-on match to the Chi color. At less than $3 at Walmart I was amazed it could turn out this good! I'm so used to having my hair professionally done that I wasn't very hopeful! Revlon Colorsilk is also ammonia free. I know some other reviewers said it made a mess. I wore thicker latex gloves than the ones that come with the kit. I also purchased separately a tint bowl and tint brush from online. The bowl and having a brush to apply it with makes a HUGE difference on whether or not it makes a mess. I have way more control over where it's going. I love this brand and color. Will definitely purchase again. Thank you Revlon.

on 1/28/2015 12:29:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have a long history with this product...
In 2006 i used it perfect... Real dark brown with no reds.. I would have given it 5 stars...

I think they may have changed the formula...
I used it last year in october it was dark brown with some reddish...
I used it on hair which has not been dyed b4.. The last time i dyed my hair was in 2007.
Well not that perfect maybe 3 stars...

The key however is not to use it on hair which has been lightened too many times...
I have dyed my hair quite a number of times so this round it did not look good... a dull flat black instead of the dark brown last oct...

I probably would buy again as i suit dark colours...
But i will have to wait a while hopefully the next round it will be brown
I don't do well with any red tones which unfortunately does happens when you try to dye your black hair brown..

on 8/17/2014 1:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I have never used a hair color brand that has been SOOOOO off with the assignment of the appropriate color to their formula.

I tried black brown at first and that turned out to be jet black (goth jet black w/blue and purple overtones)

I liked the formula enough, that I thought I would try dark brown (I wanted a rich ,lustrous expresso color) and once again, the color is way too dark. It reads as a soft black. Yes, if you look at the individual strands you'll see some brown overtones but the entire mass of head looks very much a dark, true black. Nothing like the color on the box.

I'm used to using Feria and will definitely go back. I never really knew if their color was truly "prismatic" and after trying Colorsilk and experiencing how unidimensional Colorsilk is, I know realize Feria's formula does provide dimension to the hair color it doesn't look like a solid mass of one color.

We're saving so much money not coloring at the salon, no reason to try and save a little more on the color itself if the color representation on the box is going to be so off.

Other than the color designation and lack of dimensionality, the formula is fine. Covers gray easily, smells quite nice.

on 8/15/2014 10:16:00 PM

This is a good product, but beware. I was very scared to use this and end up with black or black/brown hair, but the key is to use it for less than the 25 minutes they recommend. I left it on my roots for about 20 minutes, and my ends for about 10 (my hair was essentially virgin/uncolored). Turned out very dark brown, but not black, and faded on shampooing. Lovely dark brown color, no damage. The price and ammonia free formula make this dye amazing for my current needs. I have medium brown hair to begin with.