MAC Slimshine in Swelter

No Image

4.3

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Swelter is a nice sheer red that goes well with my NC 25-30 skin tone. I love the texture of slimshines -very glossy but not thick. I use this as an alternative to a nude lip when I just don't have time but still want to feel pulled together.

The Slimshine formula is amazing! It feels absolutely beautiful on, very silky and sheer but also deeply pigmented. Swelter looks absolutely heinous on my very pale, pink-toned skin, though; it looks like a flamenco dancer with a personal grudge came over and did my makeup. It's very orange and very, very neon. Weirdly enough the swipe I put on the inside of my wrist has faded to a bright, bubble-gum pink stain. Ugh. I wish it was a deeper, truer shade of red and not quite so garish because the formula is, again, just lovely.

on 7/1/2008 9:11:00 AM

I love slimshine lipsticks. When the Cool Heat collection came out, I never had time to go to the store to see them myself, so all I did just read the reviews & hypes and pick one of the slimshines hoping I would like it. Swelter is a sheer red, a bit too much for everyday use, but if I'm in the no-make-up mood, it's very useful to give my face little bit of color. Goes on very smooth.

I'm sure I will buy more and more slimshines lipstics in the future, but not this color again (it's LE anyway).

on 6/20/2008 3:13:00 PM

I purchased this because I was hoping it would be the summery red color of the Cool Heat collection. On my hand, it looked that way, but on my lips it was way too pink-orange, and it wasn't flattering to my pale/warm complexion. Love the slimshine formula--I just wish they would come out with a sheer red color that wasn't fuscia or orange!

Swelter is a "sheer clean red" - I love this so much, the slimshine shape applies so much nicer than actual lippies and is smoother. The only thing that I don't like is that they fade faster, but they're easy to reapply. This one is nice because even as it fades it leaves a nice stain. Put Hot N Saucy Tendertone overtop and it brings it right back. Great summer shade, definately back up worthy. Wish it would be made perm!

on 12/16/2008 5:39:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Holy cow. Initially I was shocked by the red orangey look of it in the tube but upon application I was pleasantly surprised. Like one of the girls said, it's the lipstick/lipgloss lovechild and the color is just right. It's very red with a FAINT orange undertone. Normally the word "orange" would have turned me away in a heartbeat but it actually works. It's very slight and I'm warm anyway so it's aall good. Kind of sad it's limited edition. I love love love this lipstick. And the tube is sexy!

on 6/14/2008 12:02:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

"Swelter" is my very first Slimshine.

It's pretty, but just not quite "me."

"Swelter" is a very sheer red, with what looks to me a tiny touch of coral, and some almost imperceptible shimmer.

It does go on smoothly, and feels nice on the lips, with a very faint vanilla taste.

The color, for me, NW15, green eyes, brunette, is just not red enough.

If you want a very very faint hint of red, check this out, but I personally prefer MAC's "Ladybug" Lustre lipstick for a sheer summery true red.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I love the slimshines. If you want a texture that is part lipstick and lipglass then this is your product. It goes on smoothly and moisturizes your lips at the same time while adding that hot color. Swelter is one of the new slimshines from the "CoolHeat" collection. I suggest to go and check this collection out because it is so beautiful! Swelter is described as "Sheer Clean Red." It is a frost finish so don't let the color scare you in the metal case. Slimshines go on really sheer and you can build the color or add more dimension with lipliner. I actually tried Swelter, High-90's, and tropic glow. They were all beautiful! So great for summer because they are corally/pink/red which brings attraction to the lips on a hot day with "cool" eyes which are blues/turquoises/teals that are in the collection. I think MAC has outdone themselves with this collection. The "coolheat" is really what the collection is. Instead of one facial feature being the "star" of the make-up, the lips and eyes blend well enough to make it a more subdued summer look. Swelter is so wearable. The Mac artist used chicory lipliner and automatically it was a deep red so hot for a night look with subdued neutral eyes and black fluidline. Depending on what kind of look you want, you can totally play it up or down. If you want more natural summer colors, swelter may not be the one for an everyday kind of look if red scares you. Otherwise if you're planning to use reds at night (or maybe even during the day if you like) swelter gives you the pop of color you need. I highly suggest this or other slimshines in the collection. I am going back to buy more.

Popular Lips Products