Spironolactone for Acne

Spironolactone for Acne

3.9

on 7/12/2016 12:28:00 AM

I have been on Spiro for a year to treat hormonal acne which plagued me for much of my mid to late 20s--I'm 30 now. 50mg per day. My skin has been good, though I still break out on my chin around my period. I definitely gained weight while being on this drug...I'm very tall, but I gained about 25 lbs over the past year and my body shape has changed, lost muscle tone and my boobs/hips are bigger. I hate how often I have to pee and I'm really not into taking a drug permanently because I'm too forgetful/low maintenance. Also, after reading some reviews here of long time users, I'm a bit terrified of the sagging/dullness that they claim after getting off the drug. I'd rather get a few more pimples and just pay my aesthetician more for facials. I'm already a week off and no break outs yet. Here's hoping I can clear all of this out of my system without any true damage. I knew it was too good to be true.

The ONLY thing that has helped my acne. I never thought that my acne was hormonal- I used to get whiteheads around my mouth and on my chin pretty much at any random time during my cycle. However, here I am three years later (100 mg), and I went from always having at least 3-4 zits on my face to having at most one tiny one per week. Your face might not turn to baby skin over time, but give it a few weeks, and it will work.

For reference, things I tried before this included clindamyacin, ziana, epiduo, aczone, benzoyl peroxide, and several abx. Also, side note- I noticed no side effects!

To Read all 108 Reviews, Login or Join

on 6/28/2016 10:48:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I have been on spironolactone for a year now, so I think that I have a pretty good sense of the drug and what it does. This has been nothing short of a miracle for me - I only wish that I had found it sooner.

Like many people with adult acne, I had pretty clear skin as a teen. Then I hit 22 and things just started going crazy. I had deep cystic spots, mostly concentrated on my cheek area. I went through 4 years with a complexion that was never, ever clear. The fear of being spotted without makeup on was crippling. I tried every topical on earth, it seemed, from drug store to Sephora skin care, and then also prescription topicals. While some of these helped a little, nothing cleared my face. I finally went to a new derm, who told me that my acne was hormonal and therefore we needed to deal with what was going on in my body to clear it. After an initial blood test, she prescribed 50 mg of spironolactone a day.

The first few months are HARD. Do your research. See what other people are going through with this drug, to get yourself to the support to make it through the initial breakout. My derm told me that it was basically my body getting aggressive and fighting the drug. My skin definitely got worse before it got better. To be clear, this took THREE MONTHS for me to really see the results. Do not give up. Keep going. In terms of side-effects, I honestly did not experience anything.

By the third month, my face was clear except for one or two breakouts, so my derm upped my dosage to 100 mg to deal with those. After that increase, I have basically been completely clear, aside from one spot around my period. This is INCREDIBLE. Anyone who has dealt with adult acne knows how debilitating it can be. I feel like I have gotten a part of myself back.

Spiro is a drug that you have to stay on. Now that my skin has been stable for awhile, I am down to 75 mg a month. I have not experienced any major side-effects, but I've been careful to make sure I am drinking a lot of water and am paying extra attention to contraception, since it also causes birth defects. It has been a year, and my skin has remained clear. It is WONDERFUL. Truly a miracle. Obviously, going on spiro should be a conversation with your doctor, but I think that it is one that is definitely worth bringing up if you are having trouble with your skin.

on 6/17/2016 11:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I've been on this medication now for approximately two years. At first is what my answer to everything and all my acne problems. I begin having side effect from the beginning hoping they would go away but I dealt with the side effects because I loved my skin results. So I toughed it out for this long. Just lately the side effects have gotten unbearable. I am tired of the gastrointestinal side effects I believe it caused or aggervated my new diverticulitis. I have frequent ibs symptoms, pain attacks, mood swings, joint aches, frequent headaches (couple a month I never had headaches before), nausea, and heart palpitations. After doing more research on the drug on Google and finding out it has a black box label not meant for long time use. It does cause kidney damages and other organ damages over long time use. If you use salt like me this drug is definitely not for you either. Even if you have the side effects or not. The overdose of potassium in your blood can give a heart attack or instant death. I ran out of my meds last night, and I already am feeling so much better. Also, the er informed me that this drug makes people retain their potassium which is usually released when we urine but this med makes you hold on to it and stores it which is very dangerous alone. I can't believe I dealt with the minor side effects for so long before they got worse all because I loved the results. But then life long side effects are not worth it to me anymore. I was told to stop it immediately and they couldn't believe it's still prescribed for acne. That it shouldn't be taken unless medically necessary due to it cause tumors and cancers as well. So my script wasn't even refilled for me to wean myself off. He said it's more dangerous the more I take and I definitely didn't need anymore spironolactone. Another thing make sure your doctor who puts you on this med does routine blood work. At least weekly in the beginning then monthly and so on. My doctor never gave me any blood work whatsoever he just gave me my prescription and refills. (dB,fl) and the er informed me i needed blood work all Along, there can be dangerous side effects. Biggest thing I never knew I shouldn't be using salt or eating peanut butter or banana s, I was never told this nor informed. But I've learned now to be my own advocate and do thorough background checks on each nd every med I am ever prescribed from now on. And I mean a lot more research than just reading the provided pamphlets because they never state all the side effect or even half of them. Just a portion. Their are several contraindications as well. Just like I never knew I wasn't allowed my pain meds after surgery no nsids. I wasn't informed of any of this. But I hope I can help others now that I know. Nd know to further investigate medication s i was never a pill person or medicine person but I'm glad I know what I know now. Hopefully the cystic acne won't come back too bad, but even so the side effects for me are not worth it. After knowing it has a black box label to know take for long periods of time that's enough information for me. So it's my time to stop. Please if your experiencing any bad side effects get yourself checked out they won't get better. Mine disappeared some days but never went away over two years of using this medication. So by all means if it's only for acne purposes don't harm yourself like I did just because of the results. The results are amazing, but again the side effects are not worth it. It shouldn't be a give or take situation when it comes to your health.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

WOW! I had a HORRIBLE flare up on my cheeks and chin, I've been on spiro for 3 days and my cheeks are almost clear and my chin is CLEAR. I am so excited about these results, I can't wait to see what my skin looks like in a week.. A month... A year. I can already tell this stuff is amazing.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Best thing for my hormonal acne. No topical has ever helped me. I've been on it for 1 year+ wish I knew about it sooner. I was on bcp for over 20 years and would still get cysts. I stopped bcp 3 months into spiro bc I didn't feel the need for it. I had no IB on spiro. As a matter of fact my cysts stopped the day I started it. I had a lot of spotting in the beginning but it regulated after 3 months. I rarely break out anymore - sometimes a cyst before TTOM, but it goes away quick.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have been on spiro for 4 months. I started out on 50 mg and then had my blood tested to check my potassium levels. My potassium levels were normal so then my dermatologist bumped up my dosage to 100 mg. I've been on 100 mg for a month and a half. My skin has improved a lot since I've been on the spiro. It is improving and managing my cystic acne. The cystic acne I had has been a complete nightmare. I started getting cystic acne in clusters all over my cheeks last autumn after going off the birth control pill (which I had been on for over a decade.) I got a Paragard IUD, which has no hormones. Going hormone free after a decade of the pill caused my hormones to go crazy. I have never had severe acne before this change. I have had acne before but never in clusters all over my cheeks, and never the kind that lingers forever. My cystic acne I had beginning in October has turned to scarring (dark marks) all over my cheeks. The spiro isn't going to magically cure the acne scarring. But it has helped decrease the acne I have been suffering. I haven't had any new clusters of cystic acne. I get a cyst here or there and whiteheads occasionally but on the whole my skin's texture and appearance has improved dramatically. I can go without makeup without feeling ashamed and embarrassed like I felt before the spiro. My forehead has improved the most. I had acne all over my forehead when I began the spiro and now it is 100% clear. I feel like my skin is improving all the time. In terms of side effects, my breasts became tender for awhile, then that went away but my boobs increased in size by several cup sizes. I have also gained weight. I have gained about 13 pounds but that may be due to another medication I am on. I am happy with this medication. Now I just need to work on the appearance of my acne scars, if anyone has any advice for that let me know!

on 3/16/2016 9:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was very hesitant and skeptical to go on Spiro, as I think you should be about trying a new drug that you'll be consuming everyday. My gyno prescribed it on a whim in the summer of 15 and it wasn't until September that I finally bit the bullet. My skin type is oily and problematic. I would get the cysts that you just know will linger but rarely come to a head. Once I started getting clusters around my jawline I said enough is enough. I already knew my hormones were off balance, even with birth control, so Spiro works to leverage that imbalance. I had no idea that it would be life changing however. I noticed around a months time that the drug was beginning to help the cysts go away and form less frequently. Then they stopped forming from my jaw completely. Today I can say (March 2016) that I haven't had an issue with cysts or acne since coming on Spiro. During my TOM I get around two pimples that don't come to a head and leave on their own in about a weeks time. For the first time in a long time I am able to focus on improving the texture of my skin instead of treating the spots. Each month I can see improvements in my skin instead of steps back. I highly recommend this drug if you want to improve your quality of life. I take 100 mg and have had no side effects. If you're skeptical and trying to read reviews to sway your opinion, stop reading and try it. You won't be disappointed

on 2/20/2016 1:25:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Wow, after at least 15 years battling cystic acne and thousands of dollars in products, prescriptions, facials and laser treatments, Spironolactone has truly made my cystic acne subside. Obviously it is not for everyone, but if your acne is hormonal, I think you should give it a shot. I wish I hadn't waited so long - now I have horrible scars to contend with.

on 1/9/2016 2:30:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I have had acne since I was 12 and I'm now 24.. Needless to say, i've tried everything from over the counter medicine to various prescriptions and nothing so far has worked.

I started Spiro about 5 months ago. My acne is mostly hormonal with some very rare deep cysts and mild to moderate in severity depending on my period that month. Since nothing else has really shown me noticeable results, i wasn't expecting much to be honest. Some reviews have mentioned the side effects however i rarely, if ever, experience those. I take it once a day before bed, 125mg.

It seems like it took forever to "kick in" but once it did, it was fast. I seriously went from getting a new breakout every week or so to maybe one or two spots. Knock on wood, but this month i haven't gotten my usual breakout so i'm hoping it stays away!

I'm all for instant gratification and i love to see results right away, however i am so glad that i stuck with this. Hopefully it continues to improve and i can continue to tolerate it.

Popular Face Skincare Products