Spironolactone for Acne

Spironolactone for Acne
Performance make-up

3.9

This medicine is GREAT.
I started out at 50 mg, then 75, now at 100 mg per day. I'm almost at the 3 month mark. My skin is not clear all the way but I'd say 80% improvement. Still oily but not as much as before.
It's helped my pms, it flushes water weight, and lowers blood pressure.
I've had a few side effects such as fatigue and breast pain, but nothing is as bad as hormonal acne. It's a trade off.
Also, FYI my androgens tested in the "normal" level. Low end actually.
From what my doctor said some women with normal androgen levels are just sensitive to their own bodies fluctuation in hormones and the testosterone sensors in their skin or oversensitive
... spiro blocks these sensors (binds to them) preventing the stimulation of the sebaceous glands.
So if you have normal testosterone levels yet still struggle with hormonal acne please give this a shot it could be your miracle! I love it.

on 4/24/2017 2:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Spironolactone is the miracle acne product that I cannot use. I have tried it several times over the last 10 years, and each time the side effects I get from it force me to stop using it. It takes about 3 months for me to see improvement while on it and then 6 months to see the full effects. After 6 months my acne clears for the most part and my skin becomes much less oily. If I didn't get side effects from spiro I think I'd be on it for as long as possible because it works wonders for acne. The side effects I get include severe fatigue, dry mouth, and major hair loss. The hair loss is the main reason why I stop taking it every time. After being on it for about 3 months I start noticing hair loss. The hair loss does not stop until I've been off spiro for about 6 months. I've lost about half of the hair on my head every time I've tried spiro and so I've decided that I will not try it again. It really is a great drug, though, and I think every woman with persistent hormonal acne should try it. Many do not get the side effects I've had (I'm probably just unlucky). My sister takes spiro and she's had great results with no side effects. I really wish I could take it.

on 4/17/2017 11:27:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This is my miracle product. I've had horrible deep cystic acne for decades. Years of being on antibiotics and multiple topical treatments- which kept my breakouts to once a month, but they were still deep and painful. Switched dermatologists (wish I'd done that sooner), talked to me for 5 minutes and suggested this. I'm on a pretty high dosage, 100 mg/twice a day. My skin has never looked better. I started with 50 mg twice a day, and it was vastly improved, but still having issues. Been at higher dosage for about 6 months now, and I've been 4 months with ZERO breakouts. My pores are significantly smaller! My skin is definitely dryer, but it was so unbelievably oily before, this has been a benefit. I used to go through 4-5 oil blotters while I work. It has cleared up my melasma - but this summer will be the tell on that. I used to get two large blotches on my forehead, and a couple under my eyes, even with SPF 50 on... Hoping that doesn't happen anymore.

Other side effects- loss of body hair. I have no armpit hair anymore. This is not a bad thing. Hair on my legs is finer and less prolific. However, I also lost some hair on my head. This regulated, and some came back, but not all. Fortunately, I have a lot of hair, and no one notices. I'm 53 and in menopause, but will occasionally have a bit of break-through bleeding. Not every month. The diuretic effect seems minimal and I think my body adjusted to it. In a few months, I think I will drop my dosage to by 1/4 to see if I can maintain at a lower level.

It has truly changed my life... Nothing worse than a 50+ year old with giant red-inflammed cysts all over chin and around the nose and near ears. Big enough you couldn't hide with make up, and they'd take weeks to go away and leave scars. Now on to do something about those...

on 4/17/2017 10:38:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

My history with acne hasn't been too different than the rest of you. Acne started at 14 and progressively got worse. I tried everything OTC and spent thousands of dollars on treatments that never seemed to work from drugstore to sephora.I can't be on estrogen BC because I get headaches, so I was put on the progesterone only implant and that didn't help my skin at all. Last year, I got fed up. I went to a new derm and they prescribed me differin again and minocycline antibiotic. I used differin 0.1% every night and took 100mg twice a day of mino. My skin cleared immediately, which I believe was from the antibiotic. I stayed on the antibiotic for 7.5 months and then stopped taking it but continued with the differin. That was in November.

Fast forward to March of this year and I just couldn't handle my skin. It was an oil slick, I had to use about 6 oil blotting sheets a day and it was still oily. Then the break outs started coming. I was relatively clear for months and then it was just cyst after cyst and one bump got so big on my chin that I looked disfigured. I went back to the derm March 20th and he immediately said it was hormonal. He prescribed me 100mg of spironolactone once a day and the lowest strength of Retin-A cream to fight my acne marks and oiliness.

I refused Accutane, I wanted to try this route first even though both derms have told me to try it out.

**This is a mixed review for both Retin-A and Spironolactone** and I'm going copy this review and put it under the Spiro reviews as well since I started both products at the same time.

Nightly routine: Remove make-up with Kirkland brand wipes from Costco (love this stuff), wash face with my clarisonic mia and a gentle cleanser (normally cetaphil), let face dry for varied amounts of time (15-45 minutes), and then coat a pea sized amount to face - avoiding the dry areas that haven't fully healed from the night prior. Hour or so later I'll put on some moisturizer if my face feels tight or I go sans moisturizer and coat my face the next night when I'm not using the Retin-A (I use ponds, it's nice and heavy). Then I take my spiro pill and go to bed. The Retin-A seems to be a balancing act that you need to figure out for your skin. My skin reacts best if I use is 2-3 times a week.

Week 1: No new break outs and no reduction in oil. No dryness or upset stomach from medication but I only used Retin-A twice that week to ease my skin into it. I took my pill every day.

Week 2: My face exploded at the end of week 2. I had 4 cysts sprout up on my chin and a lump on my forehead (I never really got acne on my forehead), and many whiteheads around my mouth area. It was bad. I was embarrassed to leave the house. My skin was somehow dry and oily at the same time. Mostly just dry around my mouth and upper lip. It looked awful. **Started taking my leftover minocycline antibiotics to help me through the initial breakout this week and the third week** It did help speed up the healing process I believe. I didn't ask my derm about using my own leftover medication - you should, but I was desperate. I used it as prescribed before and then I stopped at the end of week 3.

Week 3: Face is still full of zits from week 2, and it looks bad. Skin was very dry, still around mouth mostly. I canceled all my plans so I wouldn't have to leave the house, other than work. Face looks less oily and I don't feel that well. I've always had weird digestive issues, but I assume this is from the pills rather than the Retin-A.

Week 4: Skin may or may not be reverting back to old oiliness, boobs are feeling a bit fuller in my normal bra so they’re definitely growing, face is getting over the huge initial breakout that began at the end of week 2 but I did wake up with a two small white heads around my mouth. Skin that doesn’t have break outs or old acne marks looks lighter and brighter (granted, that’s not much skin, my skin was pretty bad). I've worked up to using Retin-A three times a week and it seems to be going well.

My face looks less clogged and congested the day after I use Retin-A so I will continue to use the product. I know it takes time for products to work so don't give up! I am optimistic!

I’ll keep updating. Reviews with updates is what is getting me through this so thank you.

Only updates from here:

Week 5: Same routine as before, but if my skin doesn't look irritated or peely, I use the retin-a an extra night or just as spot treatment. I was kidding myself with the oiliness, still very oily. I got two new breakouts near my mouth, but they went away in 2 days. My face is quite clear right now. No change in leftover acne marks yet. I will add in a weekly mask to help with oiliness as my face allows. I usually use one from the Murad line that I purchase at sephora. I'll update in a few weeks time. Also, I don't know if this is from spiro, but I've lost 5 pounds since the last time I weighed myself.

I long for the day I can go out to run errands without a face full of makeup :) still hopeful and liking my results! With this, I'm honestly saving money. No more are the days where I buy a ton of skin products. I'm planning on cleaning out my drawers if this stuff continues to work as well as it has been!

Spironolactone SAVED my skin. I was suffering from horrendous cystic acne (the hormonal kind) and it was covering my face all over: on my forehead, cheeks, and chin. I tried everything to get rid of it before the Spiro, and NOTHING worked. I tried: Proactiv, every salicylic acid face wash, every benzoyl peroxide face wash, tea tree oil, natural face washes, clindamycin (duac), EVERYTHING out there under the sun. Nothing made a difference in getting rid of this disfiguring hideous acne. Then I got on Spiro. I started at 50mg, then went up to 100mg, 150mg, and ultimately 200 mg. Slowly my cystic acne dissapeared!! It took many months to see a difference, so be patient, but this stuff works! My face is now 100% clear. All my acne must have been hormonal because it's all gone. After a year of being on it, I saw the best results. My skin looks gorgeous. I very very rarely get a tiny white head, but nothing too bad, never a cyst like before. I cannot recommend this medicine enough to people with serious hormonal acne. My side effects are: tender breasts, boobs grew up 2-3 cup sizes, which I am a double D and did not need, my menstrual cycle has become very light with spotting in between cycles and some missed periods (I have an IUD so I am definitely not pregnant). Be sure to drink a lot of water if you are on this, be careful not to eat too much potassium rich foods (avocados, bananas, etc), get your blood tested frequently to check your potassium levels, and most importantly take measures to prevent pregnancy because the drug can cause birth defects. I have noticed my skin has aged a little bit on my forehead with more pronounced fine lines, but I take that over having a face riddled with acne any day of the week! I just get anti-aging facials once a month to try to counter the fine lines. I am 33 by the way, fine lines happen at this age regardless. I also use a lot of moisturizer and moisturizing serums to counter the fine lines. THIS MEDICINE WORKS! It saved my self-esteem! I used to never want to leave the house because of my horrible acne. Now I go to work without makeup on the regular!!! It's a miracle.

I have been on spironolactone for 2 years and overall it has been a great experience. I'm in my mid-twenties and am a classic victim of hormonal acne--deep, painful cysts were a regular occurrence for me for 10+ years. Initially I was prescribed 100mg/day, and was bumped up to 150mg/day shortly thereafter. I stayed on that dose for a year, and after getting and staying clear I slowly started to taper myself down, and am now at 75mg/day. 150mg gave me amazingly perfect skin, but I felt it was ultimately too high a dose for my body. I'd rather get an occasional zit and not deal with side effects. I've been at 75mg for 5 months and am comfortable there.

Everyone reacts to drugs differently, and it's important to discuss the pros and cons of any drug with your doctor, as well as getting check-ups once you start it. For me the biggest side effect of spiro is the constant peeing--it's crucial to stay hydrated while taking it, and while lowering my dose helped, I still pee all the time. It also lowers your blood pressure and can make you feel light-headed, so I avoid taking it before I exercise. During the first few months I was dizzy a lot, and what really helped me was 1. drinking enough water and 2. eating enough salt. But most importantly, listen to your body! If something feels wrong, don't ignore it. For me, the side effects of spiro are completely worth it, because this drug has fixed something that had been a huge burden for so long. My acne was the source of so much stress and anxiety (and even depression) for me, and having nice skin has completely changed my life. I am confident in myself and can look people in the face. I no longer have to hide behind heavy make-up. I'm very thankful for spironolactone.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Coarse

terrific for my acne rosacea

on 11/16/2016 10:51:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I took spiro for 2-3 years.

I really do feel I uglified from it. Some of it was reversible. Some not. I had dry skin, a sunken look, and dry eyes with a heavy, strained feeling behind them. My veins got very noticeable. When I stopped, the plumpness of my face returned somewhat, my eyes returned to feeling normal, my veins became less prominent. But I do feel I aged prematurely from it, that's why I googled and found out others had the same side effect.

After stopping spiro, my hair started shedding massively and didn't grow back. I thought maybe I'd suffer the side effects so I won't have bald patches. However this is only my second day since restarting it and I feel the familiar, heavy, strained feeling behind the eyes again.
I'd advise girls not to take it long term if they spot even minor signs like these. These things creep up on you. If your gut feeling tells you something is wrong, listen to it. Sometimes science just hasn't caught up yet. Just a few years ago doctors were insistent that acne is not related to diet, now many medical journals acknowledge the link. I'd known for a long time diary = stubborn cystic acne but it was dismissed for so many years.

I will throw all the remaining spiro I have away. Not worth it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I am currently on 100mg of this. I've been on it a little over a month. I did have a few breakouts when I started this and I hope this is the last of them! Since I started taking this I've only had 2 cystic breakouts. I did have a lot more white head breakouts and they were mostly on my forehead and temples which is weird Bc I haven't had consistent breakouts like this since hs. My main problem is cystic acne on my cheeks and jawline and neck. I haven't had any breakouts on my neck and very few on my chin. I am happy with the results so far but will continue to update. I hope I don't get anymore breakouts so I can just take care of the scarring. At first the symptoms I got when taking this was I was really thirsty. I started drinking more water than usual and that went away. I also feel really tired but I don't let that affect my daily life. In the beginning I used to take it at night Bc I didn't want to feel any type of symptom but the number one symptom is urination! Please refrain from taking at night!

on 7/12/2016 12:28:00 AM

I have been on Spiro for a year to treat hormonal acne which plagued me for much of my mid to late 20s--I'm 30 now. 50mg per day. My skin has been good, though I still break out on my chin around my period. I definitely gained weight while being on this drug...I'm very tall, but I gained about 25 lbs over the past year and my body shape has changed, lost muscle tone and my boobs/hips are bigger. I hate how often I have to pee and I'm really not into taking a drug permanently because I'm too forgetful/low maintenance. Also, after reading some reviews here of long time users, I'm a bit terrified of the sagging/dullness that they claim after getting off the drug. I'd rather get a few more pimples and just pay my aesthetician more for facials. I'm already a week off and no break outs yet. Here's hoping I can clear all of this out of my system without any true damage. I knew it was too good to be true.

Popular Face Skincare Products