Spironolactone for Acne

Spironolactone for Acne
Performance make-up

3.9

I have been on spironolactone for 2 years and overall it has been a great experience. I'm in my mid-twenties and am a classic victim of hormonal acne--deep, painful cysts were a regular occurrence for me for 10+ years. Initially I was prescribed 100mg/day, and was bumped up to 150mg/day shortly thereafter. I stayed on that dose for a year, and after getting and staying clear I slowly started to taper myself down, and am now at 75mg/day. 150mg gave me amazingly perfect skin, but I felt it was ultimately too high a dose for my body. I'd rather get an occasional zit and not deal with side effects. I've been at 75mg for 5 months and am comfortable there.

Everyone reacts to drugs differently, and it's important to discuss the pros and cons of any drug with your doctor, as well as getting check-ups once you start it. For me the biggest side effect of spiro is the constant peeing--it's crucial to stay hydrated while taking it, and while lowering my dose helped, I still pee all the time. It also lowers your blood pressure and can make you feel light-headed, so I avoid taking it before I exercise. During the first few months I was dizzy a lot, and what really helped me was 1. drinking enough water and 2. eating enough salt. But most importantly, listen to your body! If something feels wrong, don't ignore it. For me, the side effects of spiro are completely worth it, because this drug has fixed something that had been a huge burden for so long. My acne was the source of so much stress and anxiety (and even depression) for me, and having nice skin has completely changed my life. I am confident in myself and can look people in the face. I no longer have to hide behind heavy make-up. I'm very thankful for spironolactone.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Coarse

terrific for my acne rosacea

on 11/16/2016 10:51:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I took spiro for 2-3 years.

I really do feel I uglified from it. Some of it was reversible. Some not. I had dry skin, a sunken look, and dry eyes with a heavy, strained feeling behind them. My veins got very noticeable. When I stopped, the plumpness of my face returned somewhat, my eyes returned to feeling normal, my veins became less prominent. But I do feel I aged prematurely from it, that's why I googled and found out others had the same side effect.

After stopping spiro, my hair started shedding massively and didn't grow back. I thought maybe I'd suffer the side effects so I won't have bald patches. However this is only my second day since restarting it and I feel the familiar, heavy, strained feeling behind the eyes again.
I'd advise girls not to take it long term if they spot even minor signs like these. These things creep up on you. If your gut feeling tells you something is wrong, listen to it. Sometimes science just hasn't caught up yet. Just a few years ago doctors were insistent that acne is not related to diet, now many medical journals acknowledge the link. I'd known for a long time diary = stubborn cystic acne but it was dismissed for so many years.

I will throw all the remaining spiro I have away. Not worth it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I am currently on 100mg of this. I've been on it a little over a month. I did have a few breakouts when I started this and I hope this is the last of them! Since I started taking this I've only had 2 cystic breakouts. I did have a lot more white head breakouts and they were mostly on my forehead and temples which is weird Bc I haven't had consistent breakouts like this since hs. My main problem is cystic acne on my cheeks and jawline and neck. I haven't had any breakouts on my neck and very few on my chin. I am happy with the results so far but will continue to update. I hope I don't get anymore breakouts so I can just take care of the scarring. At first the symptoms I got when taking this was I was really thirsty. I started drinking more water than usual and that went away. I also feel really tired but I don't let that affect my daily life. In the beginning I used to take it at night Bc I didn't want to feel any type of symptom but the number one symptom is urination! Please refrain from taking at night!

on 7/12/2016 12:28:00 AM

I have been on Spiro for a year to treat hormonal acne which plagued me for much of my mid to late 20s--I'm 30 now. 50mg per day. My skin has been good, though I still break out on my chin around my period. I definitely gained weight while being on this drug...I'm very tall, but I gained about 25 lbs over the past year and my body shape has changed, lost muscle tone and my boobs/hips are bigger. I hate how often I have to pee and I'm really not into taking a drug permanently because I'm too forgetful/low maintenance. Also, after reading some reviews here of long time users, I'm a bit terrified of the sagging/dullness that they claim after getting off the drug. I'd rather get a few more pimples and just pay my aesthetician more for facials. I'm already a week off and no break outs yet. Here's hoping I can clear all of this out of my system without any true damage. I knew it was too good to be true.

The ONLY thing that has helped my acne. I never thought that my acne was hormonal- I used to get whiteheads around my mouth and on my chin pretty much at any random time during my cycle. However, here I am three years later (100 mg), and I went from always having at least 3-4 zits on my face to having at most one tiny one per week. Your face might not turn to baby skin over time, but give it a few weeks, and it will work.

For reference, things I tried before this included clindamyacin, ziana, epiduo, aczone, benzoyl peroxide, and several abx. Also, side note- I noticed no side effects!

on 6/28/2016 10:48:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I have been on spironolactone for a year now, so I think that I have a pretty good sense of the drug and what it does. This has been nothing short of a miracle for me - I only wish that I had found it sooner.

Like many people with adult acne, I had pretty clear skin as a teen. Then I hit 22 and things just started going crazy. I had deep cystic spots, mostly concentrated on my cheek area. I went through 4 years with a complexion that was never, ever clear. The fear of being spotted without makeup on was crippling. I tried every topical on earth, it seemed, from drug store to Sephora skin care, and then also prescription topicals. While some of these helped a little, nothing cleared my face. I finally went to a new derm, who told me that my acne was hormonal and therefore we needed to deal with what was going on in my body to clear it. After an initial blood test, she prescribed 50 mg of spironolactone a day.

The first few months are HARD. Do your research. See what other people are going through with this drug, to get yourself to the support to make it through the initial breakout. My derm told me that it was basically my body getting aggressive and fighting the drug. My skin definitely got worse before it got better. To be clear, this took THREE MONTHS for me to really see the results. Do not give up. Keep going. In terms of side-effects, I honestly did not experience anything.

By the third month, my face was clear except for one or two breakouts, so my derm upped my dosage to 100 mg to deal with those. After that increase, I have basically been completely clear, aside from one spot around my period. This is INCREDIBLE. Anyone who has dealt with adult acne knows how debilitating it can be. I feel like I have gotten a part of myself back.

Spiro is a drug that you have to stay on. Now that my skin has been stable for awhile, I am down to 75 mg a month. I have not experienced any major side-effects, but I've been careful to make sure I am drinking a lot of water and am paying extra attention to contraception, since it also causes birth defects. It has been a year, and my skin has remained clear. It is WONDERFUL. Truly a miracle. Obviously, going on spiro should be a conversation with your doctor, but I think that it is one that is definitely worth bringing up if you are having trouble with your skin.

on 6/17/2016 11:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I've been on this medication now for approximately two years. At first is what my answer to everything and all my acne problems. I begin having side effect from the beginning hoping they would go away but I dealt with the side effects because I loved my skin results. So I toughed it out for this long. Just lately the side effects have gotten unbearable. I am tired of the gastrointestinal side effects I believe it caused or aggervated my new diverticulitis. I have frequent ibs symptoms, pain attacks, mood swings, joint aches, frequent headaches (couple a month I never had headaches before), nausea, and heart palpitations. After doing more research on the drug on Google and finding out it has a black box label not meant for long time use. It does cause kidney damages and other organ damages over long time use. If you use salt like me this drug is definitely not for you either. Even if you have the side effects or not. The overdose of potassium in your blood can give a heart attack or instant death. I ran out of my meds last night, and I already am feeling so much better. Also, the er informed me that this drug makes people retain their potassium which is usually released when we urine but this med makes you hold on to it and stores it which is very dangerous alone. I can't believe I dealt with the minor side effects for so long before they got worse all because I loved the results. But then life long side effects are not worth it to me anymore. I was told to stop it immediately and they couldn't believe it's still prescribed for acne. That it shouldn't be taken unless medically necessary due to it cause tumors and cancers as well. So my script wasn't even refilled for me to wean myself off. He said it's more dangerous the more I take and I definitely didn't need anymore spironolactone. Another thing make sure your doctor who puts you on this med does routine blood work. At least weekly in the beginning then monthly and so on. My doctor never gave me any blood work whatsoever he just gave me my prescription and refills. (dB,fl) and the er informed me i needed blood work all Along, there can be dangerous side effects. Biggest thing I never knew I shouldn't be using salt or eating peanut butter or banana s, I was never told this nor informed. But I've learned now to be my own advocate and do thorough background checks on each nd every med I am ever prescribed from now on. And I mean a lot more research than just reading the provided pamphlets because they never state all the side effect or even half of them. Just a portion. Their are several contraindications as well. Just like I never knew I wasn't allowed my pain meds after surgery no nsids. I wasn't informed of any of this. But I hope I can help others now that I know. Nd know to further investigate medication s i was never a pill person or medicine person but I'm glad I know what I know now. Hopefully the cystic acne won't come back too bad, but even so the side effects for me are not worth it. After knowing it has a black box label to know take for long periods of time that's enough information for me. So it's my time to stop. Please if your experiencing any bad side effects get yourself checked out they won't get better. Mine disappeared some days but never went away over two years of using this medication. So by all means if it's only for acne purposes don't harm yourself like I did just because of the results. The results are amazing, but again the side effects are not worth it. It shouldn't be a give or take situation when it comes to your health.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

WOW! I had a HORRIBLE flare up on my cheeks and chin, I've been on spiro for 3 days and my cheeks are almost clear and my chin is CLEAR. I am so excited about these results, I can't wait to see what my skin looks like in a week.. A month... A year. I can already tell this stuff is amazing.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Best thing for my hormonal acne. No topical has ever helped me. I've been on it for 1 year+ wish I knew about it sooner. I was on bcp for over 20 years and would still get cysts. I stopped bcp 3 months into spiro bc I didn't feel the need for it. I had no IB on spiro. As a matter of fact my cysts stopped the day I started it. I had a lot of spotting in the beginning but it regulated after 3 months. I rarely break out anymore - sometimes a cyst before TTOM, but it goes away quick.

Popular Face Skincare Products