Spironolactone for Acne

Spironolactone for AcneSpironolactone for AcnePerformance make-up

3.9

on 4/23/2018 7:40:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I'm currently in my 6th week of this medication and couldn't be more pleased. For the first time since puberty I have skin that isn't excessively oily. This in itself is a miracle and my skin & scalp look fresh. I'm 28 and have experienced severe cystic acne for over 12 years and no combination of OTC &/or prescribed treatments have ever worked for me. I can't believe I wasn't prescribed this sooner. I'm still in shock that something is actually working to clear my skin. If you have hormonal acne please try this - you won't be sorry.
I have found Spiro online to save $$. If you're curious I just search in Google for this code "GET100SPIR".

on 3/29/2018 1:58:00 PM

Spiro has changed my life, I wish I had found this sooner. I've dealt with cystic acne since my mid teens - I'm 35 now and have tried everything short of Accutane. I was beyond frustrated, and the entire experience did a number on my self esteem. I don't think people who haven't experienced this really understand how awful it is. Anyways, six months ago I begged my doctor to put me on Spiro and he did. This is the dosages I have been on:

PRE- SPIRO: Always at least 2-3, sometimes more, giant cysts on my face, usually on my chin or near crease of nose. They would last for weeks only for one to go away and be replaced with a new monster.
MONTH 1: 25mg/day - Skin less oily but not any noticeable improvement.
MONTH 2: 50mg/day - Skin less oily, still getting 1-2 cysts a week but they are smaller and last 2-3 days as opposed to 3 weeks.
MONTH 3: 50mg/day - Skin less oily, 1 pimple/week where cysts used to form. Still have some small blackheads that like to start around nose crease.
MONTH 4: 50mg/day Maybe 1-2 small pimples/month on chin. Wouldn't classify skin as oily anymore but still have small blackheads that form near nose crease. Pores look smaller.
MONTH 5: 100mg/day Zero acne, non-oily skin, pores definitely smaller...my self esteem is so much better.
MONTH 6: 100mg/day Still no acne, non-oily skin

SIDE EFFECTS: My blood pressure is normally on the low side and I have to make sure I consume A LOT of water and eat enough salt or I can feel light headed. This medication WILL dehydrate you, so you need to prepare accordingly. Recently, I started taking an electrolyte tablet daily with 600 ml of water (in addition to LOTS of plain water), and I feel great. I feel that with the increased dosage of 100mg/day, I need to take this electrolyte. I also try to limit my potassium intake. I have not had any blood work done to check to see if my levels are good, but plan to request to in the next month or so. My DR wasn't worried about it, as I felt good.

I'd recommend trying Spiro if you battle the kind of acne that I did. Upping my water intake and having to take an electrolyte pill daily, along with this medication is a very small price for clear skin. Dairy and caffeine are acne triggers for me, and I continue to avoid consuming them. I'm so glad I found something that works and can only hope it continues to do so.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This medicine has changed my life! Yes, that dramatic... changed my life. I'm 46, started with cystic acne at 20. From my 20s until mid 30s, went through the whole process, antibiotics, Retin A--that helped some, but still had a lot of painful breakouts. Serious drug reactions from antibiotics. Went through the Accutane regiment and had clear skin for about 6 months after finishing. I was so depressed, eventually I was back to breakouts and several large cysts on my face at all times.
I thought I had tried it all, as far as acne treatment out there. In my early 40s, I was depressed! 20+ years of face inflammation and painful breakouts. Having an arsenal of foundations, concealers and powders just to make myself look normal when I went out in public...wtf! I went back to the Derm, told them my story and pleaded my case. They put me on 50mg to start (along with Retin A), went up to 100mg, and my skin cleared up a good 80% from before. To me, this was like magic! Eventually, they put me on 100mg 2x a day and my skin is now awesome. I literally have the clearest skin I've had since I was a child. I have regular labs that are good. The only side effects have been that my skin is on the dry side now (I welcome that) and I noticed I went up a few bra cup sizes. I no longer have to plan my day around painting my face to hide the inflammation and redness that I had for over 20 years. It is a Godsend for me!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I put the picture up with pink hair, left picture (no makeup, spot on face is scar or something) is 2-3 months on spirolactone. Right picture is before taking it even though I was wearing makeup.

This drug works for correcting hormone imbalance in females especially the cheek area.

Soooo..! I thought I'd write this review because I noticed a few on here who said this drug is a dangerous life destroyer. To me, it's very dramatic and unrealistic. I'm here to dispel that myth. It doesn't have that many risks if you do your research and look it up. Get your blood checked & blood pressure checked if you are worried for whatever reason. That's it. No drug is ever perfect but this is one that is considered very safe compared to others like accutane or antibiotics. I have been on it for more than a few months and it's a life changer. There is very little side affects, and the ones that there are definitely outweigh the constant painful acne SO SO MUCH.

Background: I have had moderate annoying acne since 10 years ago when I was a teenager. Would always get atleast one painful cyst every week, and it would take atleast a week to go away if I was lucky. Plus a bunch of tiny pimples hanging around. My chin was the worst area. Tried every face wash, treatment even retinol and antibiotics you name it. Just never Accutane since it has major side affects and I am extremely sensitive person, I can't even handle birth control pills. It was a frustrating battle, but my doctor kept mentioning spirolactone and then one day I thought you know what, might as well try it.

Within a week or two of being on 50 MG, I . noticed my huge cysts would start to dissapear, and I wouldn't get them as much, ( I still got them but less frequently and the big thing I noticed was that when I did get them, instead of staying around for a week or longer they would be gone within a day or two without trying to do anything to get rid of them! I never experienced that kind of luck in my 10 year struggle with acne. Now it's been a few months, all my acne is pretty much gone, other than around my period or something I may get one tiny small pimple at the most. Also, I make sure not to use any face products that I know irritate my face, and I'm not gonna experiment with face products either in case they did break me out. I found something that finally works so I want to stick to it.

My side affects: Irregular periods (hopefully they settle out) and at 50 mg I started to notice a sore stomach after awhile (not sure if I was sick at the time or not but I switched to 25 mg and I'm fine.) So yes, to be realistic there's something annoying with all medications but. I usually can't handle drugs or side affects, but this is so mild to me just goes to show that it's pretty mild.

I never new this drug would work so well and quick for me. It's obvious it works on me because it corrects the hormone imbalance in my skin that caused so much acne. Is it a permanent fix? Most likely not, I bet it would come back when I stop taking it. Maybe I will one day and see if it comes back but honestly. This drug helps me so much I wouldn't mind staying on it. It's really great to go to bed without worrying about a big painful zit popping up on my face the next morning.

on 8/6/2017 7:35:00 AM

Balancing out the glowing reviews. this had too many awful side effects for me to use it. I stayed on it for 2 weeks at 50 mg hoping that it would work for me and that the side effects would go away. MAJOR: confusion (didn't help me decide whether to stay on it or not!), frequent urination and lack of control about it (I drank a lot of water like I was supposed to). If I'd had to go to work, it would have been awful. Occasional: dizziness, lack of balance, headache, night shivers (only once). The worst was that it tipped me into a bipolar episode (not a problem for most people), but these problems were specific to the spironolactone.
I went back to the dermatologist at 2 weeks and she said she was surprised I'd stayed on it that long because many people had severe side effects. She did not say that before, just well tolerated or not. It seemed to reduce the amount of new acne that I had. I will not try another oral medication.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

After having a hysterectomy and starting menopause, I suffered terribly for a year and a half with cystic acne. We're talking huge welts (Truthfully, I didn't make matters any better by trying to squeeze and pick at them) and my life completely changed. I became isolated at work and came home during breaks so nobody could see me, I went out as little as possible and canceled many dates. It was a nightmare that I wouldn't wish on anyone. I saw 5 dermatologists who were basically useless. I tried prescribed antibiotics: doxycycline (did nothing) and monocycline (made me very sick and stopped after 1 pill), cortisone shots didn't do much and that's dealing with the outbreak after the fact as opposed to preventing it. I decided to go online and do research and found out about spironolactone. I got my last dermatologist to write me a prescription (why didn't HE think of it???) and this drug saved my life. It cleared my cysts up relatively quickly and I began to live again. I've been on it for about a year and a half now. At first I took 50 mg in the morning and 50 at night but lately I've tried to dose myself down to 75 mg per day and that seems to work. I haven't had any side effects whatsoever. Thanks to insurance, it's just a $20 co-pay per month. If nothing has worked for you, please consider this. I'm stunned that none of the doctors I visited thought of this. It truly was life changing, in a good way!

on 7/23/2017 9:04:00 PM

I started out at the end of May 2016, cystic acne and various other forms of acne throughout the month. I've been on acne medication since I was 16 years old (I'm 39 now). I always used Benzaclin and Differin 0.3% and my skin remained clear...until a couple months before my 38th birthday. I was put on solodyn 65 mg, it did nothing, and, if anything, I think it made my acne worse. I was also advised to stop the Benzaclin and begin using Aczone. At first, it made my acne go away faster, but that was only temporary. At this point, I had become more depressed and never wanted to go anywhere. I wouldn't even kiss my husband for fear of getting more acne. Fast forward to May 2016, I was prescribed 50 mg of spironolactone, and while there was some improvement, I was still getting cysts around my period and, but they didn't come to a head. I was then prescribed 100 mg. I kept surfing the web, reading tone review after another, how long I should wait to see results, and getting more and more discouraged that it wasn't helping at all. Eventually, the aczone stopped clearing the acne quickly (it would take weeks before they went away) and the spironolactone did absolutely nothing for me. Still, I remained patient, yet depressed. The beginning of June, I asked my Dermatologist if I could switch back to the Benzaclin and he agreed. I'm still not sure if the spironolactone is doing anything for me at all. On the plus side (or not so much) I realized that I had to once and for all, stop eating processed foods, avoid foods that I know will cause breakouts, and choosing better options if I wanted to go out to a restaurant. I've always been a strict with what I eat and am also an avid gym rat. I have always weighed my food and drank tons of water, but something about when you know you can't or shouldn't just makes you want to do it even more, and it doesn't help that I dwell on it so much.

on 7/12/2017 5:42:00 PM

This is the only thing that has worked for me in years but it is SLOW, so be patient! Here is my story: I was on it a few years ago and it worked great. It made me thirsty and gave me headaches but I think I was on too much at the time. After a while on it, I moved and didn't have a doctor; when I ran out, I thought I could stop and maybe be fine. I also thought it was the reason for my weight gain--it doesn't seem like it is now though, I think it was just life, stress, and a job change. About a year ago, my acne was worse than ever. It was across my jaw line and on my cheeks. I tried EVERYTHING (Korean skin care, at home peels, going dairy and gluten free, water intake, green tea extract, spearmint tea, rooibos, etc.) with very little relief. Finally, my mom suggested that in addition to the curology regime I was beginning, that I go back on spiro. I take one 25mg pill in the morning, one in the evening. For weeks it didn't seem like it was doing anything, but slowly my cystic acne stopped hurting which was a huge deal. After 3 cycles of my period, my skin is clear and now I'm mostly just dealing with the hyper pigmentation and melesma. If you can be patient and consistent, this stuff will work for you. I have not had any of the other side effects rooms have written about either (memory loss, eye issues, anything like that). I am so thankful for this. You do need to be careful about drinking enough water, not overdoing it on potassium, and getting a once a year blood test but that's nothing compared to how much I used to have to do.

This medicine is GREAT.
I started out at 50 mg, then 75, now at 100 mg per day. I'm almost at the 3 month mark. My skin is not clear all the way but I'd say 80% improvement. Still oily but not as much as before.
It's helped my pms, it flushes water weight, and lowers blood pressure.
I've had a few side effects such as fatigue and breast pain, but nothing is as bad as hormonal acne. It's a trade off.
Also, FYI my androgens tested in the "normal" level. Low end actually.
From what my doctor said some women with normal androgen levels are just sensitive to their own bodies fluctuation in hormones and the testosterone sensors in their skin or oversensitive
... spiro blocks these sensors (binds to them) preventing the stimulation of the sebaceous glands.
So if you have normal testosterone levels yet still struggle with hormonal acne please give this a shot it could be your miracle! I love it.

** date. I’ve been on it for almost a year now and my skin is almost perfect. My hairline has grown in a lot nicer, the water weight stays off of me and I have a much more feminine and hourglass figure. I am super happy with the results of this medicine. The only thing is I’m on 150 mg now which is what it took to achieve this perfect skin and it really messes up my periods. I don’t want to get on birth control, so I’m just dealing with it currently. I’m going to go back down to 100 mg and see if I keep the perfect skin and lose the messed up periods.
Overall I highly recommend this medicine.

on 4/24/2017 2:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Spironolactone is the miracle acne product that I cannot use. I have tried it several times over the last 10 years, and each time the side effects I get from it force me to stop using it. It takes about 3 months for me to see improvement while on it and then 6 months to see the full effects. After 6 months my acne clears for the most part and my skin becomes much less oily. If I didn't get side effects from spiro I think I'd be on it for as long as possible because it works wonders for acne. The side effects I get include severe fatigue, dry mouth, and major hair loss. The hair loss is the main reason why I stop taking it every time. After being on it for about 3 months I start noticing hair loss. The hair loss does not stop until I've been off spiro for about 6 months. I've lost about half of the hair on my head every time I've tried spiro and so I've decided that I will not try it again. It really is a great drug, though, and I think every woman with persistent hormonal acne should try it. Many do not get the side effects I've had (I'm probably just unlucky). My sister takes spiro and she's had great results with no side effects. I really wish I could take it.

Popular Face Skincare Products