Orly Green With Envy

4.1

on 4/7/2014 2:21:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

OB.SESSED. I love squishy, jelly shades and Orly Green with Envy is unique in my collection. Many jelly nail polishes have a clear base but the base here is milky--the color is an interesting muted, medium teal but still has that jelly shine. I can't stop looking at my nails when I wear this.

I have no problems with application. I usually wear three coats of this because it is rather streaky at first coat. I don't think it takes an unusually long time to dry. It wears well on me (I use Revlon Colorstay base coat and Sally Hansen MegaShine or Big Shiny Topcoat.)

Many of the images on the internet make Green with Envy look more opaque or brighter than it really is but the murkiness of this shade is what I adore about it and it keeps it from being too springy or summery.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Gorgeous color. but there are dupes out there with better formulas (OPI for example). extremely streaky and difficult to apply.

Green with Envy is a bright medium green-teal with a squishy jelly finish. I have a fairly huge polish collection of 125+ ranging from drugstore to salon to high-end brands but Orly is my number one favorite. Their wide variety of colors, formula (overall), brush, handle, price, and quantity of product (0.6 fl oz compared to the average of 0.5) is outstanding.

That being said, the formula for this particular polish is difficult to work with. I own around 30 Orlys and this is by far the worst I've used from the brand. It's a jelly, yes, but the formula is streaky and takes forever to dry. You will need at least 3 coats to reach a near opaque appearance but I use 4 or 5 (depending on how thick/thin the coats are). I haven't had a problem with staining (even with no base coat), and despite the formula issues, it's pretty long-lasting, with only a bit of tip wear after 5 days.

This is an all-time favorite of mine because the color is my favorite shade of green/teal. Should you decide to purchase Green with Envy, use a fast-drying top coat like Poshe or Seche Vite and wait about 10-15 minutes between coats.

Close dupes (not exact) that I've come across are Butter London Slapper and Essie Naughty Nautical (both are cream finishes however). If you are a huge fan of turquoises, teals, and greens, I would recommend Green with Envy since the end result is worth dealing with the crappy formula.

on 6/16/2013 10:33:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Normally I love Orly for the long wear and gel-like finish. Green with Envy is one of the thinner Orly colors. I used three coats, not two, and I got significant chipping the next day. Nail polish never lasts long on me because I suspect I am terrible at applying it, but with base and top coat I can usually get my other Orly polishes to last three days. I did like the color--more turquoise than green.

on 5/31/2013 4:49:00 PM

I usually love Orly nail polish but the formula must have changed for this color specifically. I have to put on 4 coats just to get a solid color!! The polish is so thin, I had to leave the bottle open for a bit just so that it thickens up a little. I love the color, but not the fact that I have to put on so many coats to get the desired look.

on 7/16/2012 10:37:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Lovely polish. It's definitely more of an aqua than a straight green (there is blue in it) and it reminds me of a deep, tropical ocean water. Still, it's a really pretty color! I actually bought it because I was looking for a dupe of OPI's Mermaid Tears (light aqua) and while this is in the same color family, it's definitely darker than MT. The pic above is misleading because this polish is definitely darker and less 'pastel' than that in person.

The first coat is transparent and streaky, but the 2nd coat immediately takes care of the streakiness. I added a 3rd coat for full opacity. The finish is interesting, I thought it'd be more of a creme finish but it's actually more of a jelly finish, albeit more opaque than a normal jelly. It's a little runny so it does require a steady hand, but it's not difficult to work with. Overall, great polish and you get a big-ish bottle of it (Orly polishes are big!) for about $6 from a Sally's.

EDIT: Taking off a lippie because this stained my nails badly. 2 weeks later and they're still kind of green! Definitely use a bottom coat with this color.

on 6/15/2012 2:17:00 AM

gorgeous light teal green colour, definitely needed 3 coats to eliminate streaks but worth the effort. My first Orly polish, will buy more!

on 8/16/2011 3:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

This is an amazing teal color perfect for the summer. I really like the rubber cap and the narrow brush, as I have short nails, and these features make it easier to apply the polish. If you wear a base coat before applying the polish, it makes it much easier to remove it, without any staining, as I discovered. Green With Envy isn't a true green, it is more like a greenish turquoise or a teal and reminds me a little of the ocean. You need two or three coats to achieve the true color, so don't be disappointed if you apply one coat at first and it looks weak and watery.
I really recommend this polish as a color for summer pedicures. It looks great on toenails.

on 5/14/2011 3:53:00 PM

I would describe this polish as more of a teal. I am really smitten with the textured grip of the Orly cap and thin brush. Yes, I am a fan of skinnier brushes ala Essie because when it comes down to it I am a slob and will get nail polish everywhere with a wider brush. The application has a jelly-like consistency and either 2 thick coats or 3 thin will achieve perfect results.

Hands down, amazing creme green color! Not only is it a great color, orly nail polishes last forever without chipping! love this color!

Popular Polishes