Almay smart shade

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Almay smart shade
smart shadesmart shade

2.6

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (4.0%), Zinc Oxide (2.0%)Inactive Ingredients: Aqua (Water) (Water, Eau), Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Trisiloxane, Cetyl/PEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, Alcohol Denatured, Phenyltrimethicone, Nylon 12, Tribehenin, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Sodium Chloride, Cyclohexasiloxane, PEG/PPG 18/18 Dimethicone, Alumina, Boron Nitrate, Galactoarabinan, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract (Grape), Centaurea Cyanus (Cornflower) Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Ginseng (Panax Ginseng) Root Extract, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract, Hydrolyzed Glycosaminoglycans, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Silica, Methicone, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Ammonium Polyacrylatedimethyl Tauramide, Cycloheptasiloxane, Acrylonitrile/Methacrylonitrile/Methyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Polysorbate 20, Polysorbate 80, Talc, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499)

on 3/17/2013 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I don't get what the hate is on this product; I totally dig it! I have been using this concealer for about 6 months now and have had no issues with it. I love how it totally blends to my skin tone. At first, it goes on light, and then in a few seconds it magically adjusts to my skin color. It's amazing. It never breaks me out and it's a super natural-looking finish, which is why I will continue to by this product. Plus, with almay, you know you're getting the best in non-comedogenics, which is a plus.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I just wanted to try this out thinking the smart-shade would be less cakey than the ordinary concealer.. Nope. I am pale and bought the lightest shade. I don't see any orangeness at all though when I swatched it on my hand I did see a little of what people are saying but once I blend it out it becomes completely pale. And it doesn't look orange on my face. It dries very sticky and seems really thick appearing. It's not all that great of coverage and isn't very easy to work with. Just not the greatest.

on 9/4/2012 10:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

UPDATE: Hmmm, well after using this concealer a 2nd time, I see what all the orange comments are about. The 1st time, I used this over top of my foundation, went to school, and it worked great. Today, I used it underneath my foundation, ran errands, caught sight of myself in the mirror at the store and, yup, I was orange. I hope that I wasn't orange in artificial lighting yesterday too, and just didn't notice! I guess I will try it again over my makeup and see what happens...
ORIGINAL REVIEW: Strange stuff, but it worked for me. I'm very pale/neutral (for reference, there are no mac shades light enough for me). I have to mix the lightest shade of whatever concealer I get with a pure white concealer in order to get something light enough for me (cut off parts of the sticks, melt them together, try to mix... it's a big PITA!). Lately though, my usual mix was looking cakey. I went through a bad BCP breakout and am covered in red marks, plus a few active spots. The acne topical I'm using is causing flaking in a few areas, which my concealer has been bringing out.
Anyway, I bought this on a whim and have only used it once (I will update if anything changes).
I squeezed some out on the back of my hand, rubbed it in just a little, and then applied to my blemishes with a small concealer brush. The consistency is very thin and watery, so I didn't think it was going to cover anything, but the coverage is actually quite good. Not super heavy, but it seems to be buildable if more coverage is needed.
Reading all of the reviews saying that it turned orange on them, I might have figured out what the problem is. I noticed that the more I rubbed it into my hand (as I was picking it up with the brush), that it was starting to turn orange. I did NOT rub it onto my face (only pressed it in with my ring finger, after applying with the brush), and it didn't turn orange there at all. So it might be all about how it's applied. Can't say for sure, of course.
I put it on over my mineral foundation and it looked surprisingly good! Matched my skin quite well, didn't pick up flakes, didn't oxidize, stayed put...
Overall, I was pretty impressed! Hopefully it will continue to perform this way!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This sucks. There I got it out, it sucks. I don't really need concealer on a day-to-day basis and when I do I like it to be not super heavy. This is light to the point of being non-existent. Am I doing ti wrong or something? I dab it in with my fingers and it just disappears :P I gave it the one lippy because though it had crappy coverage, it did match my skin well. But that might be because it just dissipated into my skin. I'm glad I was given this and didn't but it, I wouldn't be a very happy camper!!!

on 2/12/2012 1:28:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

not that I ever believed the whole "skin matching" hype, but I was still surprised by how poorly the color of this looked on my skin. being that I'm pale, I bought the lightest shade, but OH MY GOD I looked like Snooki, my face was orange, not good at all. this concealer was also hard to blend because it was sort of thick and dried up on my face quickly, this didn't last through the school day and it sort of flaked up..ew!

on 1/8/2012 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I don't hate this concealer. However, I need a little more coverage for discoloration on my cheeks and I feel that the way this product is designed makes it very difficult.

The packaging makes travel convenient so I have it 4 stars, I pat it onto my skin with my finger and the product simply spreads. It's not the best but I'm going to keep using it because I don't think it turns me orange.

Should be noted that I used to place a bit on my hand and take a brush to blend, afterward I would have an orangey splotch on the back of my hand!! On my face was ok, it did blend with my foundation.

on 6/12/2011 12:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I have no complaints at all with this product. Right now I am using it in Light/Medium and it matches my skin perfectly (probably between a 20-25 right now). I use it under my eyes and on pimples and old scars. I use this product after I apply my foundation. I squeeze a half of a rice grain size on my index finger, work it up a bit with the other index finger, dot it under each eye and blend, and then use what is left on spotty areas. This method does not completely blot out imperfections like undereye circles and blemishes, but I feel that it blends them in well enough that they don't jump out at me when I check my reflection in the mirror. It's kind of like smoothing on a second layer of foundation, but for some reason, actually smoothing on a second layer of foundation never gives me the perfection of coverage and finish that this product does. I don't have results like the first picture posted above at all....but everyone's results are different, so I'm just stating my experience with this product, for the record.

on 5/31/2011 6:10:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Majority of concealers cause break outs for me. I am talking about major acne. This is "the only" concealer that has not caused any problems for me. I am NC30 and I use the Light to Medium version. It comes out white and then adapts to my skin color. It blends well and it is not thick. I have used HE brands like MUFE Fullcover but in comparison, this does a better job and it is not as thick.

on 3/21/2011 12:04:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I've been using this concealer for a few years now, along with the Almay smart shade foundation. It's definitely not a heavy duty concealer, but it gets the job done for what I need (covering mild undereye circles & the occassional blemish). Love the consistency and texture after application; I hate feeling like I have layers of stuff caked on my face.

on 1/5/2011 10:32:00 PM

Almay Smart Shade I used it to hide a blemish on the day I met Carrie Underwood before her concert in Vancouver and guess what, it doesn't work! It actually brought more attention to the problem area and made my normally toned skin look extremely problematic, weird huh?

Pros:
none besides small tube, easy to carry around

Cons:
- tube hard to control output of product
- requires many layers. The funny thing with this product is that after I apply a few layers and after much blending of the product in the problem area then it actually seems like it worked to conceal the blemish or zit but after a few seconds, the concealer seems to wear off and so there I am with my blemish looking as big and red as ever and hence requiring more and more layers to hide the blemish. After a dozen layers of the product, my skin in that one problematic area became so noticeable and dark that I had to go wash it off unless the product already wore off before I got the chance to anyways. Basically after all that work and it did nothing to conceal my blemish, what a waste of my time.